15 YEARS

THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF DESKTOP LINUX

Attached: filepicker.png (742x828, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/
ecis.eu/documents/Finalversion_Consumerchoicepaper.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Try not being a fucking foot next time

>THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF DESKTOP LINUX
Nope. The absolute state of GNOME.

OpenSUSE gang

Attached: images.png (281x180, 5K)

you mean project that perpetually holds 98% of desktep lintards in a chastity cage due to adoption of it's shitty UI toolkit?

Free rental.

Install LXDE

Hell yeah

KDE Plasma doesn't have this problem

Some things take more time that others... For example your brain may take 15 more years to realize that you are actually a moron

>Linux
Is a kernel, it doesn't provide a desktop. You need to install that separately.

But anyway I don't post image macros so this issue doesn't affect me. Reminder that image macros are actually against the rules on all boards besides /b/.

use kde

First of all, if the only thing preventing you from using Linux is the fucking GTK file picker, then your excuse is extremely thing.

Secondly, not everyone uses GNOME.

Attached: file-picker-iconview.png (1217x695, 345K)

I would rather use gnome than have pictures of a fat man with a beard in a wedding dress on my hdd

i bet the dev doesn't even use it

Microsoft Windows doesn't have this problem

This is why I refuse to have ant GTK garbage on my system to the largest possible extent. Always hated KDE but now I love ot. Thanks GN*ME retard devs. I am now QT for lyf

GNU+Qt doesn't have this problem.

Post rms-in-a-dress.jpg

Please post stallman.dres

>cannot zoom
try again KDEgay

Attached: 123213213.jpg (1920x1028, 386K)

Will post it later I am installing gnome atm

Dolphin (KDE file manager) doesn't have this problem.
based, came here to post this.

>try again KDEgay
Not KDE
Also, I can zoom, what are you talking about?

It's not actually RMS

Attached: rms-in-a-dress.jpg (1152x1536, 407K)

Also, you can zoom, what the hell are you talking about?

Attached: goalpost.jpg (300x240, 32K)

It's hard to get rid of all of it, I think only have 2 reqs now for fucking GTK3 of all things.

winfag here, wow linux fucking sucks, maybe when your community can stop arguing over fucking thumbnails youll start being taken seriously

We like it diverse here. Too bad you can't change anything on your system...

the default qt file dialog that is part of qt5 does have this problem, but kde ships with its own kdialog and most qt applications either use that when available or reimplement the qt dialog themselves

Gentoo/Linux doesn't have ethis problem.

post the Jannie resume.

Depends on what software you install. Its inevitable but I feel its like cancer. It is insulting that the main toolkit is beholden to condescending, mouth breathing Johny Ive rejects. Object to it on multiple levels

Just drag & drop, retard.

Use kdialog or the gtk patch

>I would rather use gnome than have pictures of a fat man with a beard in a wedding dress on my hdd
What the fucking fucking fucking fuck are you talking about?

COPE

Attached: 1549917947101.png (303x279, 18K)

>you mean project that perpetually holds 98% of desktep lintards in a chastity cage due to adoption of it's shitty UI toolkit?
Not sure what you're getting at here. If you want everything from themes, icons to fonts to brake whenever GTK gets updates - be my guest and use Gnome. Also, what's your chastity cage bullshit all about? Nothing is preventing you from using KDE.

code it yourself if you want it that bad

we aren't paid, we do things when WE want

contribute or fuck off

I did
Nigger

>Contribute to gnome
>Get ur code rejected because it doesn't follow their "vision"

Yeah fuck off with that

Attached: resume-janny-approved.png (817x1226, 533K)

Can't you just drag and drop with your favorite file manager instead?

Attached: file.webm (480x360, 155K)

what prevents me from using linux is shit like this. I have OCD, and if there is no space between the text and the icon i get triggered hardcore

Attached: Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 14.58.53.png (188x74, 9K)

Hi user, what did you use to record this?

I don't even use GNOME, you homosexual gay faggot.

what a retarded post
opensuse has nothing to do with gnome

I don't really bother, but you can always tweak the XML config file and set that specific setting. But it's a hassle to figure out which one it is. This is probably an issue with the icon theme and system font combination I'm using.

it is free software, you can change it however you like

Low priority, not a bug

yeah, but even if that is true, if they don't have a style guide for software developers, you'll never be able to tweak it perfectly so everything looks good

also, its a fucking waste of time. that is a lot of work expected from you right there.

VirtualDub with the builtin "Screen capture" video device and a lossless video codec.
I also have successfully created screen captures directly using the x11grab or gdigrab device in ffmpeg before.

Attached: butt.png (676x595, 31K)

>if they don't have a style guide for software developers
They do, though [1]. But again, this is the consequence of only a handful people doing voluntary work and a gazillion different combinations and possibilities. It's much easier when you are a multi-billion company and staff literal designers and lock down your ecosystem entirely so it looks exactly one way and you can't change it.

>you'll never be able to tweak it perfectly so everything looks good
>that is a lot of work expected from you right there.
I agree completely. I've accepted a long time ago that the Linux desktop will never look "good". But I've just learned to stop caring, desu. Not that I cared that much to begin with, I grew up with company issued computers my father brought home where the desktop theme was locked so I couldn't customise it even if I wanted.

[1] developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/

>and lock down your ecosystem entirely
yep, thats my point. It is not a good idea to allow too much flexibility.

right now I'm running a hackintosh. The only 2 reasons for doing so:
>looks good "out of box"
>has more software (don't care too much about this, since I mostly use texteditors and I could probably get photoshop to run in wine)

but, it would look like shit....

>It is not a good idea to allow too much flexibility.
I disagree. The flexibility allows me to take ownership over my system.

Don't get me wrong, I use macOS on my MBP and it's brilliant for day to day use at home. It has a nice desktop environment with applications that just work. But even though it is a NIX, it feels horribly cumbersome to do stuff, and I find myself spending most of the time ssh'ing into my Linux machine at work if I need to actually do something beyond reading emails or looking up something on the web.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

Attached: 1555507649154.png (1219x355, 65K)

Don't know whats up with elementary OS. This was a great idea, but the dude sucks at implementing it.

Now it just looks like a gnome de with custom dock and icons.

Again, someone should make a riced linux version and fix all the UI glitches for common software. That project would be successful 100% (if it was done by a pro designer)

>its free software just fix it yourself bro

No but SUSEs KDE comes with kdialog for Firefox out of the box, which means you get kde thumbnails even with Firefox. Install plasma on any other distro and Firefox will still use the gtk picker.

Fucking retard

The problem, I think, is the lack of interest in Linux in general. If anyone has the power to make a widely used Linux desktop, it would probably be Canonical. I think the market for a "normie" Linux desktop is relatively small, mostly sysadmins and developers use it to begin with. And the market for a riced out of this world Linux is even smaller, because aforementioned sysadmins and developers use their own custom tiling WMs and whatnot and are perfectly happy with what they already use.

Remember when one user actually kinda fixed it by himself but got his merge request rejected? Lmao, the state of the Lelnux (((community)))

Attached: download.jpg (172x165, 8K)

You keep saying that word. I'm not sure you understand.

Desktop GNU*

yes, but design is what sells. For example, most people buy cars mainly based on design (then they think about performance, gas consumption etc)

If someone made a linux version which looked as good as OS X (without the glitches for software), many people would switch over.

Most linux versions I see emulate Windows XP (linux mint) or Windows 10 (kde), or OSX in a retarded way (gnome).

The truth is, it's done by incompetent people.

Linux is only a kernel.

>Linux is only a kernel.
yeah, i guess you are right. The kernel is actually goood, its the GNU part that sucks..

>If someone made a linux version which looked as good as OS X (without the glitches for software), many people would switch over.
I honestly don't think so. The reason people aren't using Linux already isn't because "it doesn't look good", it's because Linux has never been and never will be marketed for consumers in the same way say Microsoft Windows is.

>Most linux versions I see emulate Windows XP (linux mint) or Windows 10 (kde), or OSX in a retarded way (gnome).
These emulations are hobby projects, the defaults in all of these is looking nothing like Windows or macOS.

>The truth is, it's done by incompetent people.
No, it's done by a handful people doing voluntary work. There's nothing incompetent with maintaining a fully working graphics environment, like GTK or Qt. You are confusing incompetence with supply and demand. There is little demand for the specific thing you are requesting, therefore it receives little attention.

Try Android.

GNU is not part of Linux.

you create demand. There was no demand for ipods (people used mp3 players) until Jobs created it.

Linux has so many things going for it:
>privacy concerns
>customisation
>its free
>valve willing to invest in it

and yet they fail.

In my county (eastern EU) people used to buy computer/laptops with linux on it, then they would uninstall it and install pirated windows.

There is no conspiracy against linux, it just sucks. It's done by incompetent people.

what? who fucking cares you retarded dumb fuck just install KDE and use qt programs
dumb fuck

OEM's have tried installing Loonshit on their laptops and nobody bought them. The few that did buy they ended up with nothing but problems; see the girl that dropped out of college. They also had to deal with with freetards on customer support trying to convince them that libre office is better than MS Office. kek

>you create demand. There was no demand for ipods (people used mp3 players) until Jobs created it.
Linux, and the free software community at large, is not a company. Why are you referring to them as "they". The free software community is not a single entity. People have different agendas and priorities and motivations. Making this specific thing that you want is not on many people's priority list. The only people who care about it is a handful of enthusiasts.

>and yet they fail.
"They" haven't failed at all. Again, there are other motivations to use Linux other than being a Windows or macOS killer. You're just not seeing it because you're hung up on this specific issue.

By what metric has Linux failed? It is the most widely used operating system kernel ever, and pretty much dominates all embedded markets (including wearables and smart phones) and server markets. Even Microsoft use Linux in their Azure infrastructure, and several multi-billion dollar companies are investing money and development time into improving it. So I wonder how you can possibly claim that Linux has somehow "failed".

>In my county (eastern EU) people used to buy computer/laptops with linux on it, then they would uninstall it and install pirated windows.
And again, this is because Windows is aimed at a different market.

>There is no conspiracy against linux,
Wtf are you on about? Where did I say or imply this?

>It's done by incompetent people.
Again, it's not incompetence. I doubt that anyone on this board is able to maintain a graphics library, for example. It's just low interest for this extremely narrow thing you are requesting, which virtually no one has any interest for. It seems that you don't understand that the market for Linux will never be the same as for Microsoft Windows, so I'm not going to continue this conversation.

This is gonna be the year of Linux on the desktop, de/g/enerates!

Some may be incompetent sure, but many people who work on osx, windows, ios, android, etc. got started with contributions to FOSS.

The reason it isn't the quality of windows or osx is because it isn't the flagship product of a 500+ billion dollar company and people are doing it for free

>linux doesn't work like windows therefore linux people are incompetent

Attached: 555-come-on-now-33045251.png (500x522, 138K)

>OEM's have tried installing Loonshit on their laptops and nobody bought them.
here people buy them (or used to) because the hardware is cheaper than same hardware with windows in it (end then they pirate windows, because linux sucks or they don't know how to use it/install games)

>Wtf are you on about? Where did I say or imply this?
Well, there were some conspiracies in here (by other people) about Microsoft paying OEM's to use windows or some shit like that, trying to suppress linux...

Some people even believe Microsoft + Apple pay Adobe to not produce software for linux.

the shit is pretty good considering it was done for free lol

flatpak install flathub org.kde.dolphin

Attached: org.kde.dolphin.png (128x128, 13K)

also, maybe if linux uses electron based DE it will gain some traction, since developers will be able to contribute their CSS knowledge to make it look good.

but I guess that will be an option, once 32GB ram becomes standard.

Attached: 1_9ce5Yft8Cqg3Vt63pVGNkw.png (1200x648, 60K)

>Well, there were some conspiracies in here (by other people) about Microsoft paying OEM's to use windows or some shit like that
This isn't a conspiracy, they literally do (or at least did) this.

>trying to suppress linux...
It's not for suppressing linux in particular, they did it in the 90s to kill competitors (and were successful at that). Today they retain their share of the market by being the platform that runs all the software you need for your business, such as Office. They've been sued several times because of this and have been found guilty of violating antithrust laws a bunch of times, so it's not exactly a secret.

Link related: ecis.eu/documents/Finalversion_Consumerchoicepaper.pdf

(The PDF title is exceptionally funny btw)

>Some people even believe Microsoft + Apple pay Adobe to not produce software for linux.
That's just ridiculous IMO. It's pretty clear why Adobe is not making software for Linux, it's not worth the effort in terms of revenue vs cost of development.

I remember writing off gnome around twenty years ago after seeing one of the lead designers/architects go off about how people didn’t properly understand the desktop metaphor and would do “wrong” things like use multiple tabs in a browser window that were from different web sites. In case you’re sane and reading that didn’t make sense, the complete dickshit kept was on about how a browser window was a metaphor for a book and tabs would be different pages in that book. So, if you have a single browser window open with tabs from different sites, you’re clearly a chump that can’t internet. What a cheese faced penis fish.

>muh linux is muh kernel
Fuck right off back up a gnu’s ass.

>That's just ridiculous IMO.
is it? imagine if you had illustrator, photoshop and rest of adobe programs running on linux?

how many developer startups and design freelancers would ditch OS X and Windows machines right away?

Macbooks are overated pieces of shit and their build quality is dropping, but they run all the design software perfectly on their OS and people don't have an alternative.

Hes right through

OP talked about "desktop Linux" though, that's much more than just gnome

>is it? imagine if you had illustrator, photoshop and rest of adobe programs running on linux?
No, the "ridiculous" thing was referring to the motivation of Adobe. Not the product line running on Linux, that would have been quite nice.

>how many developer startups
This has nothing to do with Photoshop. Startups already use Linux.

>and design freelancers would ditch OS X and Windows machines right away?
I doubt they would, they aren't interested in changing (Why would they be?).

>Macbooks are overated pieces of shit and their build quality is dropping,
That's the Jow Forums in you talking, you know as well as I that the general population holds the opposite view.

I think you are a bit delusional when it comes to the appeal of Linux, even if Microsoft Office and Adobe suite worked perfectly on Linux, most people would have zero motivation to switch. In fact, it would be more of an hassle for them to switch due to Baby Duck syndrome.

Case in point, Microsoft Office has worked perfectly on macOS for ages, but people still run Windows on their business machines because it has become more or less established truth that "Windows is for business".

All this being said, I'm actually glad that Linux isn't adopted widely by the average computer user. It only being used by enthusiasts and people who know what they are doing generally means that the quality of the information about it out there is quite good. Whenever I have to look something up, either how to do something, find documentation or see if any others have experienced a similar issue, I generally find the information I want in a matter of minutes. The few times I have to deal with Windows, I have to filter through thousands of irrelevant forum posts telling me that the solution to all my problems is to bake my GPU in the oven and run registry cleaner or reinstall Windows.

I personally don't care about market share and if gaining market share means more proprietary software in the system, i'm against gaining market share.

This.

lmao
what are you gonna do, say mean words on the Internet?

Go full Stallman and email links to myself so I can read websites offline.

there were tens of patch submitted and non were accepted because of some bullshit that didn't fit their "vision" of a filepicker

No, they were rejected because they didn't comply with GTK3. Why are people on this board so disingenuous all the fucking time?

Feels good man. Footfags will always suffer.

Attached: You have been GNOMED!.png (1280x800, 189K)

based retard poster

>That's the Jow Forums in you talking, you know as well as I that the general population holds the opposite view.
nope, go watch some youtube reviews of the new macbooks. people are generally dissapointed.
>keyboard issuses
>throttles
>price (you get a crazy specced windows machine for the same price)

>Microsoft Office has worked perfectly on macOS for ages
nope, some of the pro tools are not ported. You only get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and ONenote (which they give away for free).

Microsoft is not stupid enough to release the full suite for OS

welcome to the shitshow of Jow Forums

Attached: 1552954909017.jpg (1200x477, 139K)

deprecated

You do know you can use kde filepicker inside gtk/GNOME applications?

wait what how