All OS makers should agree on dropping bash or what ever they're using in favour of Python. You know this makes sense

All OS makers should agree on dropping bash or what ever they're using in favour of Python. You know this makes sense

Attached: file.png (1246x669, 1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

swag.uwaterloo.ca/bash2py/index.html
youtube.com/watch?v=V7lG4bont7g
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/303157/is-there-something-wrong-with-my-script-or-is-bash-much-slower-than-python
pastebin.com/tXA0vdQJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1543352416585.jpg (600x536, 81K)

>dropping bash
wtf is wrong with you?

Attached: 1555490960377.jpg (853x480, 99K)

pic related
Python is better

Attached: file.png (720x533, 188K)

good luck resolving all those packages which depend on bash compatibility
e.g. systemd, it depends on bash

the whole OS should be written in CPython / Cython

>quotes Molyneux

fuck off retard

we can fix this
swag.uwaterloo.ca/bash2py/index.html

Python is slower.

What drugs are you on?

A small price to pay for a unified and more functional language

Use Common Lisp. It's both more functional and faster than whatever "python" garbage you're using.

The whole point was to make it more accessible and Common Lisp would be the opposite

ive no idea about programming languages but it's as clear as day that python is language for nu cucks unable to do proper job in C++

> Being this retarded
Jesus Christ, if you really thing python is a good language, you're beyond autism.

Python is infinitely slower than all the other languages, hell, even javaScript is faster than pycuck

Irrelevant for replacing bash. Caring about ms in such a use case is autism

If you only care about "accessibility" and don't give a shit about the language being trash, just stick to bash. Also, how is Common Lisp ""inaccessible""?

You don't care about the 10ms performace for fetching files, sure, but now imagine it done 1000 times in a row, that's 10 seconds of waiting for some file fetching because you pipe a program into a program, a script into a script, and so on and so forth.

Here is a video because it seems like you're too autistic to grasp this simple concept
youtube.com/watch?v=V7lG4bont7g

Why would you use bash for a task like that anyway? If your answer is package managers, those needs to be redesigned too because they way they're working now, with all the dependencies installed in the background is shit
Common Lisp is a dead language, Python is one of the most used languages. It's far more accessible than bash

How can a language ""dead""? Languages aren't alive.

I have a script that looks through my files to update and warn me of mistakes, that script alto pipes itself into another that isn't mine that also checks files for no reason and I Can't change that since I do not ahave access to the raw source. I Have tried doing it with python because it would take 3 lines, but it took python literally 5 minutes to finish my task, whilst bash + cpp took only seconds, you need to reconsider what you are suggesting. Stick to your pycuck and use it as you see fit. If you're right then along the time pythong is going to be more and more used whilst my methods are going to become obsolete.

All OS makers should agree on dropping bash or what ever they're using in favour of ksh93. You know this makes sense

User time is faster

I think that OP does not understand bash but he was able to figure out some python. now since he is smart he won't start learning bash but instead he will change the default shell on all gnu/linux systems because that is easier

>using python as an interactive shell
>using python as a scripting language
>using python at all
AHAHAHAHAHA the absolute state of the next generation of "programmers"

Yeah python is accessible because any autist can use it since it's a shitty scripting language, not a programming lanugage, it's the highest of high levels of scripting not even programming.

He literally only knows python, because his little brain can't process other languages because they're obsolete ( too complicated for him )

Using python to run a bunch of external programs looks like a major pain in the ass compared to doing it in bash, unless you want to replace all the core utilities with python libraries too, in which case you should kill yourself.

Isn't bash even slower than python?

>launch shell
>1 second later it actually shows up
>2 seconds later an empty line blinks
>type in it
>XxXLeGiTPyThONiCZsHxXx finally loads
>screen fills with lgbt flag
>can finally type 4 seconds later with my rainbow text
absolutely based

nice try cnile, i bet you earn $50k programming radios but justify because your programming language is "patrician"

>Isn't bash even slower than python?
haha. no.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-04-17 at 12.22.02.png (2360x814, 176K)

Can you plase confirm that you are a Pyhton developer earning 116k?

I'm not a Python developer except for side projects in my spare time. I use C in my work

Does Python, or any other non-shell language for that matter, have convenient pipe syntax?
a|b|c
One call to subprocess.Popen is already 3x longer than that whole Shell program.

FP languages have it, like elixir or f#, where it's
a
|> b
|> c

or a |> b |> c if you wanted, but it's a bit messy compared to one per line with longer names

tfw your code blocks have a stroke

Any non-shit language allows you to define your own convenient pipe syntax.

>code so disgusting and unreadable that it breaks the formatting

In lisp this is just
(-> a b c)

Actually, when you care about accessibility above everything else and not at all about quality, you should just buy a Mac.

a, b and c here are functions though, not external programs, right? Can you show what's necessary to chain external program input/output in parallel?

Maybe this is a better example:
(->> (grep "ayy" *.c)
(wc -l ,,,))

Here ->> inserts the preceding expression as input to the next one (commas are whitespace and just illustrate where the expression gets inserted).
So evaluating this code will call the function `wc` with $1 `-l` and $2 being whatever (grep "ayy" *.c) evaluates to. -> is similar, but changes the insertion position. Obviously you have to implement grep and wc as lisp functions, but you can just wrap around the usual programs.

congratulations user you have invented water using ocean.

please give me an example of preceding expression in this case?

>invented water using ocean.
Not really.

Probably should have explained that the first expression after ->> "starts the chain". So grep gets passed to wc, and wc would get passed to the next expression, and so on.

Bash is slower though.
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/303157/is-there-something-wrong-with-my-script-or-is-bash-much-slower-than-python

Based UWaterloo

>python
gross
replace it with lua, specifically luajit for the ffi lib
bam
infinitely extendable superfast shell with non-cancer syntax

Lua would also be acceptable

you're supposed to use `seq` not write a loop in bash

Perhaps you could make a general purpose wrapper like
(->> (exec find -name "*.c") (exec xargs grep "ayy" :stdin ,,,) (exec wc -l :stdin ,,,))
which in Shell would be
find -name "*.c" | xargs grep "ayy" | wc -l
That would be decently convenient, aside from the wrapper not already existing.

5/10 bait.

good benchmark for a fair use case.

maybe someone just needs to invent a python shell, which interprets python syntax into whatever the language is bash shell uses...

I used bash several times and I still don't understand it, specially where spaces are needed in its syntax or how to use variables etc.. (would still have to read the dox for simple stuff like that)

>trade a slow piece of shit for an even slower piece of shit

Attached: nice try you the nigger.png (224x68, 8K)

bash really is for combining small C programs into complex programs, python is not made for that functionality

I think this is possible to do with sh wrappers which exist for at least Common Lisp and Clojure. Here is a test macro in Clojure which works for at least these simple cases, my .c file has 2 lines, so this prints out the the result of `cowsay 2`.

(| (grep ayy *.c)
(wc -l)
(cowsay)) ; evals to the `cowsay 2` string

Jow Forums won't let me post the source code, so here's a pastebin - pastebin.com/tXA0vdQJ

Stupid python shill

Are you retarded? Seriously do you frequent the short bus?

Attached: Snapchat-203585026.jpg (1039x559, 91K)

Why are you being so hard on best language?

Shython is garbage. It's neither fast nor even remotely abstract. It's literally only useful for non-programmers who can't be bothered to learn a decent language.

Did you meant luajit?
Did you meant DASH?
Did you meant busybox?

This is a 2kb bait

Bash is literally easier than python.

Attached: file.png (600x400, 339K)

Does python have job control? The ability to quickly navigate folders and launch and pipe programs as a shell?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Why would they replace the shell language, which is supposed to be fast, for fucking Python?

>nor even remotely abstract
??? Its abstract as fuck

Only if you haven't used a truly abstract language before, i.e., if you're a non-programmer.

>used a truly abstract language before
such as

Lisp, Haskell, literally any run-of-the-mill FP language. All of these are significantly faster and significantly more abstract than p*thon.

But why Python? Yeah Bash isn't that great but Python is definitely not a good replacement for it.

This is a good idea.

Who gives a shit about money, researcher get paid fuck all yet they discover important shit, yet you shitty python codemonkeys just write bullshit to make some fat jackass money all day

It's not our fault you wasted time and money on that useless phd

Attached: file.png (863x849, 876K)

checked

Attached: file.png (1600x1000, 1.73M)

>researcher get paid fuck all yet they discover important shit
kek, most of the papers getting pushed out in academia are completely worthless.