GNU Emacs

Why haven't you reached computing bliss by mastering Emacs Lisp and making emacs your one true editor, development environment and window manager, all in one?

Attached: emacs.png (1000x709, 974K)

Other urls found in this thread:

emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/24458/configuring-org-export-to-replace-latex-def-macros?rq=1
github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder that VIVIVI is satania’s favorite editor

Attached: D0ED707A-982B-4730-ACC6-B224AFDFB62A.jpg (1024x576, 73K)

sure, bro
just wait 5min until emacs unlocks my ugly desktop because it just freezed

But I do use GNU/Emacs

feel free to suffer from being alone forever, disgusting pedo scum

>decide to turn org-mode into a static site generator
>writing some css for a page
>the css mode has previews for valid HTML colors
How would you even do this in vim?

Also.
Emacs is essentially just a lisp interpreter with a GUI and lots of functionality for dealing with text.
Javascript was initially intended to be a scheme, making a browser essentially just a javascript interpreter with a lot of functionality for dealing with GUIs.
It actually makes perfect sense for atom and VScode to be based on web browser tech, as a javascript environment is similarly flexible to a lisp environment.

It's GNU Emacs, with no slash because it's not GNU with Emacs, it's GNU Emacs, a GNU project that's part of the GNU operating system.

Understandable, have a good day

Ho' do I make emacs not look terrible on a gruvbox terminal? Is there a way to force it to use its own colours (especially on a 256 colour terminal), or should I just give up and set doom colours in my terminal emulator?

If you use emacs as your entire userland, would it be called Emacs/Linux?

You could try unsetting your theme when running in non-GUI mode, not sure if that would help a lot with your particular terminal colors.
I use this code to only set my theme in non-emacsclient GUI sessions (there are issues with managing separate themes for both GUI and terminal windows running under a single emacsclient). This isn't a problem if you use emacsclient only in the terminal though.
(when (window-system)
(load-theme 'theme))

i dare y'all to show me a vim setup this comfy ...

Attached: comfy.png (1366x768, 117K)

Could you run dwm inside emacs? Never mind right now how retarded that would be.

why not just run emacs inside dwm?

because im a neovim cuck

That's not the question. I can run it inside dwm if you want but my question still stands

I'll make my own Lisp, terminal emulator and editor instead.

I was already using Emacs when you were still in school.
It was ok for the time, but now there is better stuff.
Grow up.

>EXWM
>not using xmonad's superior tiling and spawning multiple external frames instead

Pedo website.

i wondered about this. I love how in EMACS with slime and sbcl you can interpret every Common Lisp fuction imcrementally, so you dont have one program but more of a incremental environment. Can you do the same with Javascipt in Emacs? Or some WYSIWYG webdev tool inside Emacs?

imagine using an editor so badly designed that realtime linter like flyspell literally slows down your typing because the whole piece of shit is singlethreaded
really activates my yikes

Werkz on my machine. :^)

>but now there is better stuff
Such as?

>, as a javascript environment is similarly flexible to a lisp environment.
Not even close. The main similarity of Javascript to Scheme is functions being implemented as closures -- that's it.

You can run any X WM inside another X instance (EXWM in this case) with xephyr.

VSCode and IntelliJ, for instance.

what's the best way to learn emacs
doing drills inside of the tutorial doc is killing me

Just start using it for actual editing. It will all come.
If you use the default keybindings, remember to swap Left Ctrl and Left Alt for maximum comfyness and avoiding RSI.
Thumb >> Pinkie.

>not having modifiers on the home row
never gonna make it

How did you map your keyboard?

programmable keyboard with qmk

>willingly downgraded editor

Attached: editor-report-triplebyte.png (854x642, 146K)

How is it better exactly? Being retard-friendly doesn't count.

I followed Uncle Dave's series on jewtube, which made switching from vim pretty easy.

Why is uncle dave's mic so garbage? Alternatively, how do I increase the volume past 100 with alsa?

You can bet your ass out there somewhere there is a plugin for that.

I use Ratpoison and this is highly enticing knowing the EXWM operates similarly.

How the fuck do I get irony to use my compilation database? It's generated by cmake in my build folder. Sorry I'm retarded
I'm also trying to use doom so I'd hale expected it to work ootb

>Or some WYSIWYG webdev tool inside Emacs?
you might be interested in impatient mode

no offense user but what if you're just, um, slow

Spacemacs uber alles desu

his mic is pretty bad, but the content is good.
I watch youtube with mpv, so I increase volume in there

Y'all niggas need to try worf for org-mode

Explain to me why a text editor needs 655 pages of official documentation.

Emacs is a Lisp interpreter and Lisp is self-documenting. The text editor is part of Emacs but not the everything.

haha what?

you heard him

Looks like a waste of time

In org-mode, is there a way to make a bolded letter followed by a subscript? I want a vector with an index, for example: *w*_i, but this breaks because there's no space after the second *. I've tried a bunch of workarounds, but nothing works even remotely acceptably.

What is the command to jump from normal text to headline in org-mode?

says the Jow Forums poster

Really, nobody? I thought org-mode was this amazing feature everyone loved and surely in an emacs thread a bunch of people would be able to give advice to somebody trying to learn it.

something retarded iirc. C-c C-u or something

>vitoddlers btfo

Attached: 1551918763006.jpg (960x711, 43K)

The function outline-previous-headline does it better but is not binded to a key.

nice, I didn't know thx

Attached: emacslisp.jpg (512x158, 36K)

Attached: 1494487129145.jpg (758x1024, 84K)

even on Jow Forums I cant escape my dad telling me to use emacs

>I want a vector with an index
There's this thing called LaTeX which you can write inline in org-mode out of the box.

Dad knows what's up

Attached: thumbsup.jpg (350x525, 25K)

>the engineer-hours that, in the case of Microsoft Word, were devoted to features like mail merge, and the ability to embed feature-length motion pictures in corporate memoranda, were, in the case of emacs, focused with maniacal intensity on the deceptively simple-seeming problem of editing text.
Emacs is more than 40 years. That's 40 years worth of text editing optimizing features. 655 pages is nothing.

>hat's 40 years worth of text editing optimizing features
imagine spending 40 years on something with end result being emacs
consider.jpg

Gedit does everything I need

Attached: 1458659617443.png (400x400, 439K)

Nice Cryptonomicon reference.

I'll use it when someone makes an emacs package which defines a cute anime girl.

Attached: lain_life.jpg (1503x1035, 157K)

But writing \mathbf{} is so much clunkier than adding a couple of asterisks. Is that really the only way to achieve that?

That's because Emacs sucks so much that its users need to compensate.

Emacs haters btfo.

You can use filters to replace text at export-time based on some regular expression - emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/24458/configuring-org-export-to-replace-latex-def-macros?rq=1
(defun my/latex-wrap-mathbf (text)
"Wrap TEXT in a LaTeX mathbf invocation."
(concat "\\\\mathbf{" (car (s-split-words text)) "}"))

(defun my/latex-filter-r-macro (text backend info)
"Replace text enclosed in asterisks with a LaTeX mathbf invocation."
(replace-regexp-in-string "\\*\\w+\\*" 'my/latex-wrap-mathbf text))

(add-to-list 'org-export-filter-latex-fragment-functions
'my/latex-filter-r-macro)

The only downside to this particular implementation is that it globally replaces everything in asterisks with mathbf, even non-LaTeX text. But you can tweak this if you change the regex to be smarter about text in dollar signs, or you can just change the asterisks to some other syntax not used by org-mode.

Guess I'll try that, thanks user. Kinda sucks also that you lose the WYSIWYM but I suppose I'll just have to deal with that.
Maybe I'll try to figure out inline latex previews and make snippets/macros for typing out \mathbf faster.

Could somebody please explain to a retard what org-capture is

I want to use emacs for my mail, but I'm afraid of accidentally entering some global keybindings I have for typing racial slurs. Can I disable them only for something like mu4e even if it doesn't have a major mode?

Attached: 1553094802683.jpg (1000x1000, 78K)

Bindings starting with C-c are usually not reserved (although some extensions such as Magit use them in their mode), you can use those.

What's your email setup mate?
I'm ready to ditch Thunderbird and join the cool Boomer kids who live within emacs.

or you could use literally anything else and not have it look like shit

hope the hours you spent learning and writing code with a decades-old, domain specific, inferior lisp dialect was worth the trouble

t. M$ shill

have you thought about using abbrevs for slurs?

Switch to Witchmacs

Attached: gnumarisa.png (674x626, 117K)

>falling for the emacs distributions meme

>computing bliss
How do I stuff nonlinear video editing like in Adobe premiere or kdenlive in Emacs? Does Emacs behave like another shellscript for ffmpeg or there some actual shit possible?

Emacz shills, your move!

Attached: 1538864614094.jpg (1920x1080, 190K)

github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs
opinions on this? looks comfy and less bloated than spacemacs

Attached: Logo_doom.png (603x368, 96K)

>seething
people you are calling shills likely used emacs before you were born, my larping zoomer boy

Using it to learn Emacs right now

Emacs can become your window manager via EXWM and run kdenlive inside itself.

is this you dad?

I like kdenlive, but is there any way to escape the bullshit kwallet dependency?

It's a KDE application so probably not.

>kwallet dependency
Gentoo doesn't have this problem.

That's a young Terry Davis.

That is Henry Winkler interpreting Fonzie in Happy Days.

Why Uncle Dave stopped making videos?
You here senpai?

you could probably add a function to the hook that defines the keybindings to nil

He is a fellow frogposter so is probably around.

How is emacs's UI built using elisp? I'm thinking about the comparison to Electron, which is a JS runtime at core, but uses the HTML DOM to construct UI elements - a huge contributor to its overall bloat and bulkiness. Given that emacs doesn't have any direct parallel (presumably), how is it actually structured? Is there an elisp library/API to construct arbitrary text-based elements? Or is it all just ad-hoc, e.g. the buffer code just handles its own borders, etc.?

>when your work is so good even your competitor is shilling you

Attached: Evil Mode, Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Emacs.jpg (1920x1080, 188K)

Once I finish my GNUless gentoo setup the next project will be custom tiny kernel and emacs as pid1 and the only program on the system

Attached: 2mqpAth.jpg (1970x1478, 502K)