/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: x62 chinkman.jpg (1386x1039, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/12-1-LCD-matrix-HV121WX4-120-HV121WX4-110-for-lenovo-notbook-replacement-led-screen-20pins-CCFL/32682600257.html?spm=a2g0z.10010108.1000001.12.16842a7024R3M3
aliexpress.com/item/SOP8-SOIC8-VSOP8-WSON8-SPI-CABLE-CLIP-PROBE-PIN-FLASH-READ-DATA-READING-SOFTWARE-TRANSFERING-8P/32959689888.html?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

W520 is THE #1

Attached: IMG_20190416_120355.jpg (1080x1435, 328K)

you may not like it but this is what peak thinkpad looks like

Attached: 4BC9AFD4-35E4-4E0A-B4EB-414A5D997E2C.jpg (1536x2050, 530K)

Too small of display for world of warcraft and underpowered

T/x/w/x20 series was peak thinkpad

Attached: IMG_20190414_022836.jpg (1064x1421, 272K)

Attached: IMG_20190416_102444.jpg (1079x1395, 267K)

Sup Jow Forums, so now I'm in the last 2 step of setting up my usb stick to patch my bios for the x220 keyboard mod where I'm completely lost (linux noob).
Can anyone help explain these 2 commands I have to put in:

lsblk -d -o NAME,SIZE,LABEL

sudo dd if=patched.x230.img of=/dev/sdx
where sdx is the usb name btw

The lsblk command just shows you all block devices with their size so you can pick out your USB stick (i.e. the correct "sdx") and don't accidentally overwrite any other drive with the BIOS update image.

Should a get a ibm type 2635 for the collection? 30 euro

anyone knows how to get trackpoint scrolling with middle mouse button on mx linux? ubuntu works fine but xubuntu or mx just dont werk. t440p btw

>underpowered
>UNDERPOWERED

Isn't the name of the usb stick the one listed on my device list like on pic related?

Attached: Screenshot_20190417_2feae33001.png (268x227, 8K)

Hi /tpg/. So I'm going on vacation next week in Canada and I was thinking of shipping a Thinkpad X1 to my Airbnb adress but I'm worried if it gets there earlier.
Is there any way to ship to a UPS store directly since the delivery is made by them?

>R61 i got recently
>seems to be in good condition
>doesnt overheat
>2 gigs of ram
once it hits its max of 2 gigs in resource manager (from opening and using firefox) it locks up and or slows to an unusable crawl that is usually unrecoverable except to reboot. any ideas?

Attached: Lenovo-wallpapers-4.jpg (1600x900, 359K)

The fan of my librebooted x200 keeps getting stuck at 3600rpm even with no apps running. A reboot returns it to regular idle of around 2200, but it goes back up randomly after a while. Temps look fine too, did I fall for the trannyboot meme?

which oen would you pick? t440p or t550? standard setup on both

and give reasons pls

Is there a replacement audio jack I can buy for the x220 that isn't chinkshit? The one that came with my system is old and scratched up to the point where if I turn my headphone wire I can't even hear anything.

your juul looks fucked

someone pls halp!

Linux or windows?

Got any swap / pagefile in use?

If you get to max ram, ofc the system locks up if it doesn't have anywhere to store data to

your fan could be fucked but yes trannyboot has bugs that have been fixed in coreboot.

dd takes the device mount point as argument. lsblk will help you find it by displaying the sizes, labels, etc to compare against.
it will look something like /dev/sda /dev/sbd

t480 or t480s?

t480s, but only if it comes with dual channel RAM capability.

t480 comes with mx150 though

that's basically a gt1030

Still way better than uhd620, isn't it?

Hear me out:
"Thinkpad T60", but in the way Chad Warden says "Xbox 360"

heya thinkfags . total brainlet here. whats coreboot and libreboot and why would i want that on a thinkpad, what are the benefits

Its literally a meme that autists do to get 4.5 extra megabytes by making Intel ME smaller, dont fall for it

also dont fall for the "muh security"

t480 if you want better battery life and better expandability down the line, t480s if you don't care for that and you just want your laptop to be as thin and light as possible
depending on game 3-4x faster than intel igpu, on my t480s i can do some reasonable light gaming with mx150, recently I was playing bioshock at 1440p 60 fps no problem, t480s comes with "max-q" version of mx150 and is limited to 10w, the t480 has full 25w version and it's faster by like 25%

this

Attached: 1552597610767.jpg (540x564, 98K)

I came here to ask the same question.
Just bought a t420 because I'm retarded & thought I could flash libreboot on it.. don't ask. I contacted a flasher on ebay he confirmed the t420 could be coreboot.

Here's my question, does libreboot & coreboot do the same exact thing in regards to freedom? What are the comparisons between the two? I've been researching all morning but cant seem find a straight answer.

Agent detected

Attached: 20190417_112831.jpg (4032x3024, 3.35M)

They practically do the same thing (disable IME, spyshit, and whitelists), but Coreboot has "binary blobs" which can't be edited. You shouldn't be worried unless you want to mess around with the data on that level.

I believe there was some image macro that compared the two, anyone have it?

>but only if it comes with dual channel RAM capability
How do I find if it does? The version I am looking at has 16gb ram

vape brand?

t480s has 8gb of ram soldered and one free slot for expansion, so with 16gb it's safe to assume one module is socketed and it runs in dual channel

Please help me goys
I want a second wifi card in my thinkpad:

Attached: file.png (640x640, 260K)

Stickin' it to the man! Unfortunately the vpro features don't work anymore! ;v)

I'm not sure what to think of that palmrest job. For what reason?

Do not listen to the Intel ME shills, Libreboot/Coreboot are great pieces of software you can throw on older Thinkpads to make your device do exactly what you want it to, without all the OEM bloat and anti-privacy features. Security, fast boot times, additional features locked from use in the original BIOS, and of course a coprocessor that is running as little non-free software as possible (if any!) to keep the machine working.

Libreboot guarantees no non-free software on your flash chip for devices that support it (EG; X200/T400/W/T500). That means no Intel ME code, no VGA BIOS, nothing. Coreboot can be compiled the same way, except that on more modern devices (your T420, for example) your system will not stay online without a little bit of proprietary software for the ME to initialize. Fortunately, it can be stripped of most modules and "disabled" using a government agency-exclusive flag. Although it's still non-free software, it's been proven to be docile in this state (for now).

Attached: stickers2.jpg (854x570, 104K)

With the later series it's not possible to completely remove all proprietary binary blobs so it's not 100% free.
Libreboot is effectively just a precompiled fork of coreboot that is 100% free-

You didn't even look at the image you just wanted to post your stupid bong again.

get a new palmrest right the fuck now

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!

What about the E-series then? It arguably has one of the few models featuring a 14'' display, and the thing I like most is the screen-body juncture.

Attached: ThinkEntry.jpg (1060x596, 58K)

>keep browsing through ebay
>clicking through suggested thinkpads and accessories
What prevents you from hoarding dozens of functional c2d thinkpads that cost less than $50 shipped?

Attached: ohhhhhh.png (540x473, 309K)

I got a e470 and it's definetly not as rigid as the main series. Connectity is also lacking.

What would be the best model to get under $200? Portability isn't super important to me. I basically need it to be able to do basic tasks such as web browsing and video streaming, and some light audio production and graphic design. I'm also thinking about possibly doing an eGPU setup later.

Attached: Album.png (768x768, 1.19M)

>plastic drop hinges
this alone should be reason enough not to buy it
btw, you're wasting your money if you're buying new thinkpads regardless of quality.

Guys please help how do I use 2 of the same PCI wifi card in my thinkpad. One of them is hard blocked and I can't find anythnig about this

Attached: file.png (631x757, 148K)

I think you could get a xx30 for under 200. I would get xx20 thats more for ergonomic(keyboard and thinklight) and aesthetic(keyboard and thinklight) reasons.

Is trackpad on t480s really worse than on t480?

Hey guys, how robust does the Dell XPS 13'' feel? I'm falling for the robustness meme and that's the primary reason I haven't fallen with it yet.

Attached: Dell-XPS.jpg (1200x900, 206K)

it's paper thin what robustness are you expecting

Around a week ago I ask here about Linux support for the latest Thinkpad models,
especially the t490s, Linux support is actually nice, the Performance is nice and the screen is fine too, but that are all the nice things I can say about the t490s, the Quality is so bad,
maybe I just had a bad unit, but for me it looks like Lenovo's QM is bs.

What is a good fairly recent good Thinkpad?
Maybe a T480?

all the xx90 thinkpads looked like a downgrade from xx80 series desu T480 or T480s are very solid options

>it's paper thin what robustness are you expecting

That's why I'm concerned.

Thoughts? What can i do with it?

I tried one in a store, it doesn't feel flimsy but I wouldn't want to throw it around either, it also felt needlessly lightweight but I just like throwing thinkpads in my bag without a case, I wouldn't be able to do this with a modern ultrabook.

I think this now as well, for me it looked like a good deal because it was way cheaper then the t480s, with similar specs, but I think I will go for an 480 now...
I have to say the quad core U CPUs are very nice, but the 480 has one as well

the U in those cpus is deceiving, lenovo fully unlocked them and they are breathing fire 28w for i5 and 45w for i7

thanks i will consider doing it on my future thinkpads,
is doing coreboot/libreboot hard?

i have an r pi which i heard you need to use. need to buy an sd card and install an OS to it tho but thats just my issue

why are x200 so expensive.

I want a t400 or a x200 a t400 can be easily found on ebay for 40 dollars~ ex shipping but I cant even find a x200 for less than 70

But which is better with the same specs, 480 or 480s? By same specs I mean 2k screen, 16 gb ram, i7

Nah, just which model you own depends on how deep you'll have to take it apart. X2XX series generally being the easiest. The rest is compiling and software setup, and then attaching to your chip is a no-brainer.

I dunno man, it sucks. Been recommending them like crazy and then I realized they're expensive as fuck now. I guess a mini libre machine is sought after.

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_X200.jpg (2136x1424, 2.04M)

Check other places like OfferUp, Craigslist, Letgo, etc.

Attached: gymfu.jpg (1125x1396, 354K)

I bought an x200 for $70 about 4 years ago, with an SSD, it feels just as snappy and useful as when I bought it.
It supports DDR3 ram and SATA2 so it doesn't really feel obsolete either.

If I was buying one now, I'd just go with an x220/x230 because it's only $30 more and even the lowest trims comes with a LED backlit display unlike earlier models.
Also every X series since 2013 has gotten progressively worse, shit like the INCH WIDE (and growing!) bezels on both sides of the keyboard make the laptop look like a cheap piece of shit.

If it cost far more than superior models I would call it expensive, $100 for a competent laptop is nothing.

jokingly put a bid on T450s and win it for 250$, did i just get lucky or shidded?

but I want it libre :(

maybe x230 with coreboot it is then :(

well if we count only specs they're basically the same with exception of mx150 graphics where the t480 one is faster, but generally it's down to personal preference which one is better, T480 will be easier to expand and last longer on battery and has 2.5 inch bay for more storage, T480s on the other hand will be thinner and lighter and more portable the materials used are also apparently better on T480s
tl;dr both of these laptops are solid you can't really go wrong with either one

specs?

I'm looking for a cosmetically clean Thinkpad for under $150. Leaning towards a T420 or something with similar or better specs. Where can I find one that fits these specifications? I've been checking out eBay, but none of them seem to be in good cosmetic condition for under $150.

1600 x 900 HD+ LED
Processor Intel Core i5-5300U 2.3 GHz (2.9 GHz Turbo)
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: 128GB SSD
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500

That's alright imo, I'd get a FHD screen though.

Well considering I got one for $40 two years ago, maybe I'm just used to those kinda of prices. You're right, $70-$100 isn't terrible for these machines. But when I get pic related for $37 (before it was upgraded, obviously), it doesn't seem like a good deal.

I highly recommend the X200 over the X220/30 if you don't need the extra performance, and want a genuinely disabled ME. Just make sure you get one with a decent CPU for the model, paying $70 for a X200 is still not a terrible deal for what you get. Mine is my daily work laptop, does wonders.

Under $150 will be tough for cosmetically pleasing. However, every part on these machines is easily replaceable. Find one that looks decent, and then replace the parts that look like shit later. Pic related looks basically brand new in person because I replaced the palmrest, keyboard, and display bezel.

Attached: T430.jpg (2136x1424, 1.54M)

How easy is it to replace a worn touchpad? Is it just a sticker?

ok the Nvidia graphics aren't important to me personal, but the magnesium chassis on the T4xxs Series isn't that nice, like I said I had one a few days and the chassis is not so stable and resulting from magnesium rubbing on magnesium the case makes noises, when you move it (pick it up from the table etc.)

I honestly feel like i got fuckin lucky, T450s goes for like 450-600$ here

I mean I have a x200 already but I dont have a screen for it.

considering to buy this aliexpress.com/item/12-1-LCD-matrix-HV121WX4-120-HV121WX4-110-for-lenovo-notbook-replacement-led-screen-20pins-CCFL/32682600257.html?spm=a2g0z.10010108.1000001.12.16842a7024R3M3 then.

and yes im genuinely interested in disabling ME. but since I have my x200 already I'll rpbably just fix it and get a coreboot model as backup

(pic coming up in 3 2 1.....)

The touchpad is built into the bottom bezel, they sell it all as one piece.

I had t460s previously and owning t480s now and haven't noticed any creaking or noises coming from the chassis so not sure, maybe it was just the one you had that had some issues as I haven't heard an opinion like that anywhere else.

Indeed. In fact, I ordered a lot of 10 in the mail that came just today lol

Mmmm, consider picking up a X201 display instead. They're guaranteed LED backlit, fuck that CCFL shit. You might be able to pick up a parts/not working X201 just to strip the display from it for cheap, and swap the whole display assembly into your X200.

You can replace the sticker individually as well.

Attached: trackpadstickers.jpg (1495x997, 853K)

Attached: IMG-20190417-WA0060.jpg (2592x4608, 1.12M)

which display model should I look for? c:
I fucking hate CCFL.

They look sad... Also before I forget to mention, going from a CCFL -> LED backlit display on the X200 requires a LED converter board and ribbon cable. This is why it might be a good idea to find a whole X201 assembly, so you get all of these parts together as a package.

I am sorry :( thats why I really strive to bring life into my x60s, x61 and x200 again :(
sure, thanks for the help :)

Honestly I am pretty picky about something like that, especially if I spend 1000+ on a Notebook, my T440p doesn't have the problem, but you are probably right and it is just mine, still I go for the traditional metal frame inside and plastic on the outside, so the T480 is it

I am finalizing my decision and right now there are only few things stopping me from buying one:
I am not sure whether I need mx150 or not (there are no 480s with mx150 here)
I read that 480s has worse trackpad
Which has a better battery? Different people say different things

i don't want to hoard actual garbage

T480 has the bridge battery, the T480s has just one internal battery, the T480 has around 90 WH, the T480s has 57 WH, but the T480 has a bulky 6 cell battery for that, if you want it slim the battery capacity should be similar

>I am not sure whether I need mx150 or not (there are no 480s with mx150 here)
mx150 is like 3-4x faster than igpu so if you plan on gaming it's pretty nice but not mandatory in any way, if you plan on using linux it's probably better to get one without dgpu and as with all laptops with nvidia graphics there could be potential reliability issues down the line
>I read that 480s has worse trackpad
I never used mine, disabled in bios since day 1 so I don't know
>Which has a better battery?
T480 hands down has better battery life but it depends on which external battery you get, with 72wh external + 24wh internal it gets 96wh capacity compared to 57wh of t480s, with the big battery T480 will certainly last longer there's just no doubt about that however, you could get external usb-c powerbank for T480s and then it can match T480 but stock vs stock T480 wins for sure

>my X200 is slowly acting up
>fan starts whining
>order new fan part
>fan stops whining before it arrives

>battery life becomes unacceptable
>order new battery
>old battery suddenly lasts 4 hours again

>it starts randomly freezing
>order x220 to replace it
>it stops freezing before it arrives

Attached: kanna thinkpaddu.png (500x281, 202K)

you guys think this probe will allow you to coreboot x200s with out soldering?
aliexpress.com/item/SOP8-SOIC8-VSOP8-WSON8-SPI-CABLE-CLIP-PROBE-PIN-FLASH-READ-DATA-READING-SOFTWARE-TRANSFERING-8P/32959689888.html?
the fact that i already own 7 working thinkpads and 1 nonworking(just needs a screen)
i do search for t430/t420 with broken screens because i have like 3 laying around but never buy them

Attached: IMG_1472.jpg (4032x3024, 1.08M)

wew, the keyboard is fused into the chassis in the new t490s
will chinkpads ever go back to being good?

Attached: thinkshit.jpg (2834x3024, 636K)

why haven't you corebooted your chinkpad yet

Attached: IMG_1377.jpg (4032x3024, 975K)

>>order new fan part
The X200 fan can easily be taken apart and re-greased if it becomes noisy. Had to do it a few months ago.

>>order new battery
Shoulda did the battery recall. I have four brand new ones from it! 8+ hours each!

>>order x220 to replace it
Wew cringe. Shoulda checked logs, there's too many things that would cause that kind of issue. Are you running Libreboot with updated microcode?

Ask swiftgeek on freenode's #libreboot, tell him "that guy that likes awoo" sent you, he'll understand.

But I have!

Attached: thinkfamily.jpg (2777x1851, 2.02M)

>mx150 is like 3-4x faster than igpu so if you plan on gaming it's pretty nice but not mandatory in any way, if you plan on using linux it's probably better to get one without dgpu and as with all laptops with nvidia graphics there could be potential reliability issues down the line
The problem is - I don't really understand how capable UHD620 is. Like, will it run 4k 60fps video? Is it enough for pretty rare occasions of video editing or more frequent photo editing? The only games I see myself playing on it are broodwar, wc3, some other old shit.
>I never used mine, disabled in bios since day 1 so I don't know
I read that t480 uses synaptics trackpad and t480s uses elantech one.

From what you're saying intel igpu will work just fine for your needs, as for trackpad again I have no idea I never use those things in a thinkpad.

>lenovo removes 10 features to save money
>people throw a shitfit
>lenovo restores [one feature]
>lenovo: hey look we fixed it dont be mad pls
>people forget about the other stuff

And it's gonna keep happening now that companies and governments are wary of buying all their IT hardware from china, they're no longer fleet machines, but upmarket ideapads.

holy shit guys this is fucking beautiful
>bought a T520 off Kijiji ($50)
>broken screen
>ok, replace with one scavenged from E530 (fucking 768 but whatever)
>boot up into windows
>custom shotgun cursor
>windows 7 rice
>like 7 antivirus programs
the cursor is a double barreled shotgun holy shit lmao. this guy's a fucking legend.
anyways, how did i do? apart from the whole e530 screen i think it was a pretty good deal. This is 50 canadian pesos btw.

Pretty good.

Attached: 675.jpg (1000x800, 301K)