Why shouldn't I get an SSD?

Why shouldn't I get an SSD?

Attached: blog-ssd-inside.jpg (575x352, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=maYuTnci4ys
youtube.com/watch?v=OwNr_WCpzRc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Make your own purchasing decisions, fag.

because you should get an M.2 NVMe

Attached: 001_gallery_MZ-V7E1T0BW_10-01-18.jpg?$product-details-jpg$.jpg (800x600, 58K)

Because your dumbass who cant make a simple decision.

I want to know why Jow Forums is against SSDs. After that, I'll decide whether I should purchase it or not.

Most of Jow Forums is just piss-poor.

>I want to know why Jow Forums is against SSDs
Who the fuck said that? Do you seriously fucking think that Jow Forums is one person or has a unified opinion about anything, and that people aren't just saying incorrect shit to fuck with people?
Lurk more, and do your own fucking research.

>Who the fuck said that?
You did, retard. warosu.org/g/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text="ssd meme"

>taking the opinion of a Jow Forumstard seriously

Most of the concerns are about failures which SSDs may be worse at, but unless you're really pushing your storage beyond "normal" day-to-day use you have nothing to worry about.

If you run a lightweight system, SSD benefits aren't that noticeable, but if you run Windows or MacOS or a heavy bloated Linux, SSD is a must have.

What else are you going to use? HDDs are slower, have backdoors and can be read from by a nearby NSA agent with simple equipment which records magnetic waves. EMMC/mSD/USB are usually more expensive per GB, much slower and external.
Don't be a retard. SSDs are the only good primary storage option.

Contrarianism mostly, because SSDs are cool right now they must be hated

oh shit, 2009 nostalgia thread ?

Do whatever the fuck you want OP.
What is with these people who need to ask Jow Forums for permission for everything?

Attached: 1555277764527.png (445x472, 191K)

your computer turns on and immediatly works

compared to

wait for computer to turn on, further wait for desktop to finishing loading background apps

Hating on SSDs is a meme in and of itself to fool retards like you into not buying them. There is absolutely no reason to pass on an ssd unless you can't afford it.

The best post in the thread.

based and retardpilled

Do you value your data?

buying an SSD protected my sanity
unironically one of the best purchases you can make for a PC

Why is this even a question?
While I adore SSDs and the speed they give they still only make sense as system/application drive with HDDs holding everything else
Also if your really that worried you can just image the drive

Wrong answer. If you value your data you'll use an SSD.

Money is the only reason not to get one but considering you can get one for 20£ even that is reason no more

Because you can't make your own decisions

>V-NAND SSD
>SSD

reliability
modern SSDs save 4 bits on a single cell, which is an easy way to loose data. fancy controllers and wear leveling algorithms mitigate that to some extent.
still, you should still get an SSD. even linux is way snappier when running from SSD.
just make sure to back up regularly, which you should be doing anyway

>What is with these people who need to ask Jow Forums for permission for everything?
It's the same person, Brian is very fearful kid and can't accept if he make any mistake because in childhood he was that uncool guy who always sat alone in the corner because of his decisions

I think you're midget without your own opinion. That's why!

Attached: .png (485x486, 259K)

I already bought a good 500GB ssd for the OS and main applications of my next build, what model should I turn myself to if I want to add the classic 1TB of storage? Or in other word what's a SSD that's more about a good storage/price ratio rather than speed performances?

>Can be read remotely
Thats rad as fuck. How?

Attached: _hamaguchi_ayame_idolmaster_cinderella_girls_and_etc_drawn_by_chimoon_360345dc85e9d007e0f12613e67a38 (600x877, 214K)

SSD DO seem to be a bit more high maintenance. I've had to reinstall a few things a few times because they got corrupted or on a dirty bit or something and took forever to load.

But all in all the speed ups have been worth it. Especially in build times and update times.

Definitely don't use ONLY an SSD, though.

You're a nigger if you use anything other than cassettes for booting off

Jow Forums isn't, just contrarian poorfags. It's 2019, any laptop hard drive or desktop boot drive should be an SSD. Use platter drives for media storage.

Im curious about this, too.

Attached: .png (678x381, 179K)

You're a fucking retard, only absolute brainlets will tell you not to get an SSD.

Do you have a UPS? No? Then don't get an SSD until you have a UPS.

expensive
potentially not as reliable, but this is mostly a meme

When ever i need to make tech related decisions, i ask Jow Forums and do the exact oposite. You should do the same OP

i don't know what cunting planet you live on where SSDs are more reliable than hard drives, an SSD will wipe itself after a year without power, a hard drive will go up to and over 25 years without power with the data still perfectly fine, SSDs are not a good purchasing choice to make in the current year if you care about your data

Now that I have quiet fans, spinning disks are the loudest part of my pc build. They constantly hum. So I unplugged them.

It's quite inconvenient actually. They have to be plugged in at boot to use, which means you literally have to restart your pc to use it if it's not plugged in. OR you could listen to an annoying hum 24/7 and waste power for no reason.

Started with 840Evo 128gb
Changed to 860 Evo 512gb
Added another 1TB 860

Never once had a single issue with any of them and my first SSD is in my laptop now after 2+ TB of data written to it and still going strong.

The bootup/load of apps is significantly faster over normal hard drives you have to be be a mega contrarian to have your OS on anything but SSD.

>my first SSD is in my laptop now after 2+ TB of data written
That's amazing.

It's horseshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=maYuTnci4ys
anyone ever done this?
are HWCanucks a reliable source of info? This looks like it probably runs like asshole

Sorry linked the wrong shit, buying that expensive shit would be retarded
youtube.com/watch?v=OwNr_WCpzRc
looks like a interesting idea and M.2 Sata is cheap as fuck right now

Attached: 1526325929393.png (480x600, 216K)

You can go make a coffee while your computer is turning on with an HDD. Can't really do that with an SSD since it'll be done before you walk out of the room.

An SSD is literally the single best upgrade you can make to your computer. My motherboard only has a SATA 3gb/s input so I'm only getting half speeds but it's still more than worth it for the access times.

going over 500gb is still too much money, but otherwise it's recommended.

Dies randomly. I'm not even memeying.
Speed advantage is negligible, unironically.

based and truthpilled post

Why?

I think I saw this meme on a flat earth video.

Buy 2 and run them in RAID1 if you're that worried about it. You don't need more than 200GB for a boot drive. It's less than $100.

nvme drives are a meme.
unless you are unzipping massive files or are transferring data between two nvme equipped computers you will never notice a difference between nvme and a normal ass sata ssd.

they are severely bottle-necked by the rest of your computer.

>they are severely bottle-necked by the rest of your computer
>bottle-neck
Don't use words you don't understand. Non-volatile storage is the slowest form of memory in your system. After the processor is L1,L2,L3 cache, then DRAM, then non-volatile storage. There is literally nothing in that chain bottlenecking an NVME drive.

>caring this much about boot time
Yikes.
I'm content with my 7200rpm HDD.

Reminder that SSDs help you with ctrf+f in your online exams if you downloaded the book in pdf format; easy A along with using quizlet/coursehero in private browsing for unlimited previews.

Because you're poor.

The main reason not to is because you're a poorfag in cope-mode

>boot times
way to give away the fact that you've never owned a ssd

Jow Forums loves ssd in general
i use ssd and they're good
long term storage goes on 4tb enterprise storage drives tho.

And game load times, woah big deal faggotini

120GB SSDs are going for $30-35 here with 27% tax included.
Being poor stopped being an excuse for not at least booting from SSD ages ago.

cope harder

I cope with your mom at night.

HDDs are noisy. An artist respects the silence that serves as the foundation for creativity.

don't put anything important on it.

they're fast, quiet and affordable at smaller capacities.

downside is they die suddenly, without warning, taking everything with them, with nearly no chance of recovery.

traditional spinning drives also die, but they tend to give warning signs, so you have time to transfer your data (not always though, so backup, backup, backup).

so to have the best of both world, use (small) SSD as your OS drive. make your perfect setup, and clone it to an image file (wim, ghost, whatever) for rapid redeployment in case it dies. put all your important files on that big-ass traditional hard drive as soon as you can (when downloads finish, and at the end of the day).
don't forget to have a backup of your data drive. a backup isn't a backup if it's the only copy! so get a second traditional HDD and update it from time to time.

Attached: hdd_vs_ssd_bz.png (1448x931, 656K)

>you will never notice a difference between nvme and a normal ass sata ssd

Attached: wtf am i reading.png (3300x3140, 555K)