I've noticed that numerous Linux users I've talked to switched to iPhone from Android for security reasons

I've noticed that numerous Linux users I've talked to switched to iPhone from Android for security reasons.

Tell me why an iPhone with close system is more secure than my Android phone running on an official build of LineageOS and latest Android version.

Attached: applecuck.jpg (2000x1125, 1.25M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Package-Comparison
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Google earns money selling your data. Apple earns money selling you products.

because android is funded by google tracking your usage and selling targeted advertising based on that.
lineage could be secure and respect your privacy, but do you run the google services on it?

>Tell me why an iPhone with close[d] system
>close[d] system

that's why

Attached: 1479511018875.jpg (910x716, 51K)

i don't think you know what closed system means

And exactly what closed-source Google software is present in a LineageOS build?

i don't think there's any google, other than the default DNS... but do you have Gapps on it?

It's pretty clear by the way you're posting that you've already made up your mind that you think lineageos is better than iOS.

So pajeets are going to be pajeets no matter how much you modify Android's code?

I don't think you know what you're talking about

Google does not sell your data. Google does profit off your data, but it's far more valuable when they have exclusive access to it, so they run targeted ads themselves for interested parties. Apple also does targeted ads.

The iPhone 7 basic model is still 460eur here.

It's generally assumed to be the lesser of two evils.

Personally, I use Replicant OS with F-Droid apps + one or two installed via Yalp
Next step down for me would be Lineage OS without any Google.
If you put Google play services or other apps onto Lineage then you might as well fully join the botnet.
I'm a tinfoil hat wearing Free Software fan... so I'm happy to use Replicant on an old SIII and lose some function. If I *had* to have a botnet phone for work and was given the choice I'd probably select the iphone over android. It's like chosing between being raped by a guy or being raped by a HIV+ guy.

yeah, fuck, sorry for the grammer. I just woke up.

You are not telling me that apple is more secure because of their close sourced os? lol

I have considered replacing playstore with fdroid. And doing some 1337 hacks to run apps that require play services without them.

But all of this becomes a hassle.

Yes, partially. Their entire closed garden ecosystem and closed source OS and the fact that they don't let carriers or manufacturers edit their OS and that they send security and OS updates without asking for carrier and manufacturer permission.

It can definitely be a hassle. However, I'd rather have the inconvenience and lose some functioning in return for more Freedom.
It's worth using F-Droid anyway as the apps respect your Freedom and many of them are fantastic anyway and better than proprietary alternatives.

I see. So an android phone that uses an open source rom like Lineage OS and open source apps and app store >>>>>> iphone>>>>>>>>regular android phone

It's just hard to let go some of the shittsource apps.
I need open source of the following for daily use:
>gps
>messaging
>keyboard

Me personally? Yes, I have gapps. I feel about as private as if it was an iPhone, which is very little since they're both proprietary. But if someone uses LOS with no gapps, they're definitely better in terms of privacy than either a gapp'd android or an iphone.

Take the lineage OS with no Gapps pill. You don't need any proprietary software. If you really do need proprietary, get a ipod touch exclusively for it

If you use gapps you just rejoined the botnet, might aswell just use stock

> security reesons
ayy lmao

i actually installed lineageos like yesterday.
i miss google maps and music (got a family subscription for full access) but i don't want to install services because, well what's the point of lineage if i do?

do you know anything about microG?

Eh. Security by obscurity only brings you so far and is a doible edged sword. Personally I‘m using iPhone for privacy reasons.

Security and privacy are two different topics. You seem to understand neither.

Lineage OS plus F droid plus Yalp store if you need proprietary software

I'm an android user but iPhones are more secure in terms of the actual device. They have a proprietary encryption chip which encrypts everything on the phone with 256-AES. Once it's locked it's unreachable without the passcode from even LOI/FBI/etc. In tems of Apple in general I have no doubt they're sharing everything they have uploaded in iCloud with the NSA, but then again so are google. Snowdon leaks showed they both worked with the CIA. But in terms of hardware a phone with built in encryption is considerably more secure than the thousands of different flavour of the week androids most of which don't get security updates.

That's how I would recommend using Lineage. A lot of people will use Lineage with Google because they want to avoid all the bloat and crap that comes with Android phones. Or they want a newer, or supported, version of Android.
I don't know enough about microG to comment. I've never felt I needed it, so I'm not prepared to spend the time needed to audit it to work out it the risks.
In the past I've installed some apps via Yalp, which claimed to need to use play services to function, and they still worked.

i'm messing around with open gapps.
looks interesting as you can choose what you want depending on the version you install.
i was checking mini, but i really want google music but it annoys me to have to get all that other crap just to get music.
i'll install the aroma thing to see exactly what kind of customization it allows.
github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Package-Comparison

You still get the benefit of less bloatware.

opengapps still get you all the botnet, it's just keeping away some garbage noone really wants like movies, calendar, contacts, music and the like. Your shit is still synced to google and, despite their name, opengapps are proprietary and not open at all

Have you heard of a little FOSS project called MicroG?

Attached: Screenshot_20190417-212713_Bromite_1.png (1440x1214, 98K)

what the fuck you fucking apes! LineageOS is not made with security in mind. They even said this publicly. lmao
They follow the same footsteps of Linus.

>virii
>cellular devices
such a thing seems alien to me

to add to these, it's same with vanilla lineageOS. it's filled with google shit even if you don't specifically install gapps.

Yes, I use microg so I could login to youtube vanced.

apple reviews apps (and code, too, i think) before allowing an app into the app store. google does not do this. they let pretty much anything into the play store.

how is this better than open gapps?

doesn't work with lineageos though.

I use android now but I am seriously thinking about switching because of Google botnet.

Money talks, and Apple spends about $1billion a year to maintain Apple Maps, just so their users don't have to use Google maps and feed into the bot net. I presume they basically make $0 profit from Apple maps, so the fact that they even do it means they are at least somewhat conscious about privacy.

Back to your designated shitting street Prakesh.

Attached: 1549165016385.png (682x1680, 172K)

That's great for me.
>buy iPhone
>sell for 50-60% of the price 2 years later, or keep it for 4-5 years because they last that long

gross

Unfortunately Google's spyware is the only reason Google Maps is as good as it is, there's no way to make Apple Maps as good without background data collection.

Aren't LineageOS builds filled with proprietary software drivers anyway? Yes, there are some smartphones with open-source kernel, but that's not always the case.

>switching because of Google botnet
Just install lineage you cuck

Money talks, and Apple earns about $1billion a year selling your data.

Attached: 1534565670213.jpg (1200x800, 201K)

Because it's open source and just emulates, for a lack of better term, the google framework
Where gapps are just google apps downloaded from the play store
lineage.microg.org
Or you can patch it yourself, lineage team sees it as an unnecesary thing, but if you're like me then you'll need it in your life

yeah no shit they have access but are you implying the situation is better on android? nah, I don't think so.

hmm that would mean going back to 14.1 instead of 15.1 for me.
is there a big difference between these two anyway?
>patch it yourself
how hard is it?

It's not, stop lying