/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1550146796076.png (1522x869, 813K)

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/tHdBKB
pcpartpicker.com/list/9PkFV6
pcpartpicker.com/list/FGBwBb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Been wanting to build a PC for a few years now and starting a new job so I should be able to get one nearer the end of this year. Is it worth waiting for new parts to come out? I want to aim at 4K if at all possible but don't want to spend more than £1.5k including monitor and peripherals. I am fine with 1440p though.

Attached: punishedhomer.png (576x432, 228K)

Repeat question.

The wait is almost over, Navifriends

>no 9400f
cringe

Attached: based 9400f.png (1920x1080, 856K)

Do the needful sirs and wait for navi and ryzen 3000, regards John

It's more the quality of fans, heatsink, and heatpipes number that matters.
Like all of them are 2 fans, with I think 1 3 fan model.
The 1 fan one is gonna be pretty loud.

Frankly, even as a normie with no knowledge of that, you should be able to tell that the better cards actually look higher quality. Like the difference between a cheap toy and an actual component. Just look at the ASUS 580 Dual vs the Strix, MSI 580 Armor vs Armor Mk2, Gigabyte garbage compared to the Red Devil, or Sapphire's Pulse vs their Nitro.

For the 570, cooler doesn't matter as much as the 580 since the 570 are 120-150W TDP cards and RX580 are 185-231W, but I'd still avoid the shittiest models if it's not more than a $10 difference.

Attached: pulse vs nitro.jpg (700x466, 51K)

I went dumpster diving recently and pulled out a bunch of 8GB DRR3 1600 sticks of RAM. Unfortunately the timings seems to be worse than the ones I currently have. How much difference does it make for games? I'm more concerned with performance than space. I'm asking right now before testing for myself, because I have an ITX system, and I'd rather not put the effort taking it apart only to be disappointed.

System:
9-9-9-24-2N 1600 4GBx2 1.5v
asrock z87

found ram set a: 11-11-11-28-2N 1600 8GBx2 1.5v
found ram set b: 11-11-11-28-2N 1600 8GBx2 1.35v

Neither set seem to have xmp profiles, though it seems I may be able at the least to tweak them to 9-11-11-28-2N, but I haven't tested overclocking them properly (in another machine) .

Attached: ram.jpg (1500x1000, 154K)

repostan because fuck you, i can't make up my mind:

Need a GPU for my build
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/tHdBKB

Around 800EUR, 850 hard limit. 1440p/144hz screen so i need one that does 1440p with a minimum of 60 fps solid at ultra settings in the most demanding and least optimized titles for the next 4-5 years.

maybe 2080ti can deliver what you wish for, but not even that is a guarantee.

Also worth noting that you can pump the 570 up to 180W power limit and get performance really close to a 580. But if it doesn't have a really good cooler, it'll be pretty obnoxiously loud. I think only the Red Devil and Nitro+ actually have good enough coolers for that and they're typically lower availability and RX580 prices anyway, though.

Sounds like the set b at 1.5v would be the same timings of your current set.
Not exactly fast, though, but equivalent to your current speed. 1866 CL7 or 2133 CL9 is more around what you aim for performance in games closer to DDR4.

No one can predict the future. Console ports are usually better on AMD, AMD GPU has aged better since the 7000 series almost a decade ago. But that's history, and not the future.
Or maybe raytracing will take off, but the current gen RTX cards are too weak to actually do it, so it's really the next generation cards you'd want to last 5 years and current gen might not.

so zen2 is still going to be worse than intel for vidya right?

Yes, it's already confirmed zen2 will have memory latency issues like threadripper

>better single thread performance than the 9900KEK
>on an engineering sample
>worse than intel for gay men
are you like, an idiot or something?

Attached: feed.webm (640x640, 2.81M)

Who knows, it's not out yet and no third-party benchmarks have been made yet.

would a 1080 bottleneck a stock r5 1600?

yes for 1080p
no for 1440p

>latencies don't matter
Hmmmmm

fuck, my display is 1920x1200p 24"

ok i'll ask this: a buddy of mine said he'd sell me his for $200, i currently have a rx580 4gb. so all in all it'd be an upgrade for $100 or so, is that a good/worthy deal?

Wait for benchmarks.

It's going to depend on memory latency and/or how much the extra cache makes up for memory latency still potentially being worse.
AMD designed their own IMC for Zen2 instead of out sourcing it. That could be good or bad.

If you listen to the shills, you'll be as disappointed as people who got a 7700k thinking there is no way AMD could catch up in a year, only for the 2700X to come out that's just as good or better for gaming and better at everything else on top of it and more efficient. People expected a 2-6% gain and it was around 12% in games instead.

In actually work, it'll take a steaming dump on Intel, that much is certain.
But games are the most memory latency intensive applications, and currently Intel has a memory latency advantage. Ryzen was a regression in memory latency from Bulldozer. The whole reason Zen+ closed the gap so much in games compared to the 1000 series was the big memory latency improvement, but it's still not quite enough.

At 1440p they'd be good together.
Ryzen 1000 series wasn't that good in some indie games, though.

yes do it, without a doubt. 1080 is a beast.

Ya do it. That's a fair price.
You can upgrade to Ryzen 3000 when it's on sale or something. Don't bother upgrading right away when it's MSRP. If you even feel the need to upgrade at all.

>1080 for $100
Yeah of course go for it

currently on 4670k bottlenecking a 1080Ti on a 1440p display. should I get a 2700x or wait for Zen 2?

Attached: 1552547623107.jpg (750x721, 585K)

Wait for Zen 2.

when will it be out? and will 300 euros get me a good chip for my 165Hz monitor? the stutter on modern games is killing me

>1866 CL7 or 2133 CL9 is more around what you aim for performance in games closer to DDR4.
Well, I'll make sure to let dumpsters know that next time, but till then I'll make due and try and fiddle with the set b to see if I can get at least the same timings, as you say. Thanks.

The ryzen 3700 that they demo'd at CES matched the 9900k in cinebench, so it's safe to assume it will be equal or better for multitasking.
On the gaming side, I think it depends on how the IO die turns out, but it's likely that's still a bit behind, while being more power efficient.
The pricing is what's gonna make or break zen 2 I think.

Based on zen+ prices, 300 euros should get you an eight core ryzen 7 3700X. Which will be more than enough for games.

what's a good intel CPU for gaming at the RX 580 budget level?

No real reason to wait when a 2700X will drive at 1080Ti @ 1440p fine.
But if you can stand the stutters for longer, sure wait. At the worst case, you can get 2000 series Ryzen for cheaper.

Matched the 170W 9900k while only using 65-70W, at that.

used haswell i7 workstatoin (i7-4790). I've seen them for $150-$200 though you'd need to upgrade PSU.
No point in getting any other Intel CPU for midrange when the R5 2600 is better.

9400f

It's likely to be announced at computex in around 5 weeks.

So, I've got $600 to spend on two monitors. What should I buy? The goal is to have two work monitors (hence why two and not one 600 dollar one), that are "as best as can be expected" for gaming at that price point.

You can buy a big dick 1440p 144Hz monitor for $350-450 lardassbux, then cheap out on the second 1440p 60Hz monitor for $180 freedomfriesstamps

What's the best wireless network card for just 2.4 GHz channel? I will never get 5Ghz unfortunately.

Also today I cleaned my PC from dust and suddenly my LAN port's yellow light keeps changing luminosity as if it's showing me how much voltage is running through my PC (while it's off.) maybe the compressed air threw something around inside the power supply? or maybe the power cable in/out weren't cleaned properly.

Interesting. Like the dilemma is that I'm trying to keep it to about $300 per monitor so no one really asks any questions about why I need to be reimbursed for this. Y'know, I could probably buy a $600 monitor, but people will ask questions.

How resilient are motherboards? I heard an awful lot of creaking when I was getting the cooler installed.

>still shilling the 8700k in 2019
>when the 9700k is way better

The 3700X will be a cheaper 9900k

It'll be 8-cores and 16 threads, slightly lower clockspeeds than the 9900k but has equal IPC and has higher overclocking headroom

The 12-core Ryzen will be the 3800X, this is where the 10-core Comet Lake will come in

Hello sirs, will my motherboard (B450 Tomahawk) be able to handle the new Ryzen 8 core microprocessors?

Noob here. Can someone put together a build for 1200 usd for me? Want a 2070 at least

I am informed of the correctness, sir. Just do the needful and kindly update the BIOS when the moment has arrived.

Will an ASRock b450m Pro4 be able to survive the 3000 series Ryzens? More specifically the 3700x?

If your current mobo can handle an 8 core fine, then it will handle the 3700x.

I'm on a 2600x but I over clocked it a lot and use it for PBO on an AIO these days since it was similar performance

Wanted to see if it can use a 3700x too

AMD CPU's have been and will always be for budget building. Intel will always have better performance but the price factor sometimes isn't worth it.

It will be fine dude. The 3700 will be a 65W chip and the 3700X a 95W most likely.

>AMD CPU's have been
Confirmed underage

Ryzen 3000 likely aren't going to be higher power draw except if there are 12 core chips those might be 125W.

Nothing AMD makes can compete with Intel for gaymen.

AMD said the new CPUs will have the same TDP as current ones.

Does the power draw really matter that much for my Mobo?

Sneed

Buy Noctua™ products.

Your VRM temps matter to an extent, just make sure they're not cooking themselves.

I doubt they'll cook themselves with PBO, or at least I would hope not.

>tfw comfy 2600X and will wait for black friday deals to upgrade

>the 2000s don't exist! I wasn't even in high school then!
okay, kiddo

You don't want to draw more than like 120W without VRM cooling on some boards to be perfectly safe. Also VRM efficiency further goes down as temps go up.
Your VRMs aren't just going to explode and brick your board using any AM4 chip but it's less than ideal.

I can't wait for the 3850x and 10990k. I'll build a maximum fps build once they're out and choose whichever is the best.

lol okay, enjoy living in your make believe world where AMD actually out preformed Intel in gaymen at some point.

Bros will the 1660ti last for the next 3 years 1080p? taking into consideration next gen games

Attached: FB_IMG_15552025505251055.jpg (720x707, 279K)

Is a Pentium G3258 worth salvaging for a combined NAS, torrent, firewall, and vpn box?

Jow Forumsentooman.

I haven't used a desktop for over 10 years. Please rate my budget build.
I will be primarily using it for programming and light gaming.

Attached: MicroCenter PCPartPicker.png (950x788, 93K)

Yeah, of course depends on what your standards are

Same here, no need to upgrade for a while though

No, carefully read OP

Why not a single ultrawide if just for work?

9400F, if you really want to chance it, you can drop to an i3 8100 but I wouldn't advise it

Just get an i7 4770K/90K

>2700X to come out that's just as good or better for gaming than the 7700K
False

Attached: Ryzen 2 gaming average.png (1920x1080, 1.1M)

Buy a 2700x now or wait for Zen 2?

buy now if you need, if not, just wait

is it even possible to build a not-ass gaming PC for 500$ or should I htfu and save 2+x as long for a 1k+ build

I'd probably try to make use of the sata3 m.2 for the SSD, but that's a nitpick to avoid mounting/cable clutter. Maybe a more petite case, but you're probably not going to get any cheaper than that.

Someone else will have to advise on GPU and power supply.

Imagine getting BTFO by benchmarks that were run before you were even born

New consoles are coming next year, so not at max settings that's very unlikely.

Sure.

If you're fine with like.. original PS4 quality settings you can do a 2400G build for that an just upgrade the GPU later.

Attached: firefox_2019-04-17_20-11-18.png (878x1587, 213K)

>original PS4 quality settings you can do a 2400G
You're not getting original PS4 quality from a 2400G, retard. Original PS4 has approximately an r9 280 tier APU, 2400G is nothing close to that

Save a little more and wait for the new hardware coming in 3-5 months

Can anyone vouch for a 110-125 mm CPU cooler? Noctua with the 92mm fan sounds probably the best and quietest but be quiet and Cryorig also look to have decent offerings.

will amd stop making 2600x after the next gen comes out so i can buy one for cheap way later

Nah
The mid range one beat a 9900.

>ut2k4
>battlefield 2
>splinter cell: chaos theory
damn i miss the early/mid 2000s.
based pentium 4 running at 3.2ghz fucking losing to a athlon running at 2.0

Get an H60 instead, it's cheaper and an AIO

why is the b450 carbon pro so hard to find these days? does msi don't make them anymore or what?

Isn't the tomahawk pretty much the same except for no wifi/bluetooth?

Isn't the x470 a better chipset or is that older?

Yeah but an extra 20ish bucks for WiFi and Bluetooth is a really good deal

By the looks of it you're going to have to live without WiFi

pcpartpicker.com/list/9PkFV6

No it doesnt, it has gpu power inbetween 7850 and 7870 which are weaker than an r9 270

I'm ok with waiting a couple months for more stock. Im already waiting to see third party Ryzen gen 3 benchmarks, and the more I wait, the more I can invest into a nice build.

>ryzen
start over

pcpartpicker.com/list/FGBwBb

Finally purchased everything. Going to see how it holds up then upgrade to an 8700 and 16gb of RAM and a 1440p monitor if I'm not completely happy.

i5 9600k 3.7ghz
rtx 2060 6gb
16 gb ram 3000/cl16
200 GB SSD (not an issue I've got really quick internet connection)
water cooling for CPU
be quiet bronze badge 500w psu
what do you guys think

a pretty good 1080p60 rig tho you should get a 1tb hdd anyway
is 500w sufficient for all that?

Any of you guys taken a mini itx build in your carryon while traveling?

I am afraid it is not and I am kind of out of budget but at the same time I really don't want to change anything in the list ;_;

thanks anons, picking it up friday gotta get paid first

maybe a dumb question, but my psu can handle it im assuming? i got a 750 g2 because i figured i'd have headroom than replace psu later on, hope i didn't spend money for no reason

>6 threads
Good if you don't mind upgrading in a year or so

wait a month to do the purchase and get a 600w anyway
the HDD can wait like 3 months anyway

wat
why would intel do this
they dont even have a 6c12t option
wth

There's a reason everyone says to use Ryzen.
It's not as strong but extremely well priced for the performance and thread count.

just get an 8700k

Alright bois, I'm building my first PC ever, I've only owned laptops so far.
I'm thinking on spending around $1000, and I'm definitely waiting for Zen2 and maybe Navi. Here are the specs I'm looking forward:
> Ryzen 3600X
> ~$250 GPU (Navi or 1660ti?)
> 512GB SSD + 2TB 7200rpm HDD
> 16GB of RAM
Should I go Mini ITX? I don't plan on overclocking.

Also, I saw a "leak" about Navi, saying that there will be a $259 model with GDDR6 that performs between Vega56 and GTX 1080, is that reasonable?

v56 kinda almost matches 1080ti so thats mostly baloney
navi needs to compete with 2080 raytracing included or its simply not viable unless its really cheap.

>v56 kinda almost matches 1080ti so thats mostly baloney
in 2 games? k...
>navi needs to compete with 2080 raytracing included or its simply not viable unless its really cheap.
Navi is expected to replace Polaris... therefore it probably won't beat Vega VII.

>raytracing included
Are we pretending that raytracing isn't a complete waste of resources in vidya gaems?