What do you use to write and compile C code? At school we're using Code::Blocks but it's not really a good IDE...

What do you use to write and compile C code? At school we're using Code::Blocks but it's not really a good IDE.. any recommendation?

Attached: code block logo.jpg (250x244, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/
thegeekstuff.com/2009/12/vim-editor-for-windows
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

vim and gcc

Qt Creator is the king of the C/C++ IDEs.

Legitimately Visual Studios. Sure it's a monstrous beast that takes 10 minutes to cold-start and often needs to be stopped and restarted because that's a requirement of being made by Microsoft, but it's got powerful debug tools.

fpbp

I forgot to precise, we're using Windows

Look interesting! I'm gonna give it a try asap, thanks

Yes, but thats the main problem with it, it takes age to load... :/

Use MinGW for GCC on windows and vim is on windows

based

I'll check this out, thanks

This is one of the few cases where I unironically recommend installing Linux. Linux gives you easy access to Address Sanitizer, and no C programmer worth their salt codes without Address Sanitizer unless they're doing embedded development work for a micro-controller or some shit. Getting Address Sanitizer working on Windows is such a monumentally gigantic pain in the testicles that it's just easier to have a Ubuntu partition specifically for C development
Also, 90% of the time when people are teaching you C, they're probably also assuming a POSIX environment, and Win32's POSIX support ranges from bad to incompatible to literally not even there. I guess you could use WSL these days, but if you want to do fun multimedia stuff with SDL and friends you don't really have a choice but to use proper Linux.
As for what editor to use when you get there, Visual Studio Code or Vim. VSC if you need autocomplete, Vim if you don't.

This is bad advice. MinGW is a second class citizen on Windows and doesn't even attempt to be ABI-compatible with Microsoft's compiler and resulting ecosystem. If you're going to use a C compiler on Windows, either install Clang and use the clang-cl.exe front-end or bite the bullet and get Visual C++ Community Edition.

Visual Studio and CMake
Great combination for cross platform work

I like Gvim and recommend it if you want a lightweight editor. You can use easy mode if you want it to act like a normal editor and don't want to learn its commands.

Or if you don't mind bloat and want an excellent editor with more features, VS Code is pretty nice.

VS Code + mingw64.

>Doesn't know how to compile C
>Simaltainiously feels informed enough to judge Blocks as "not really a good IDE"

Seriously, this. Not only Qt is a nice framework, and Qt Creator a nice IDE, it's support is improving a lot for other langs. Kdevelop is also cool.

Bu everyone should try his hand in the classic vim+gcc.

Just use Emacs.

It really isn't. It's like somebody tried to emulate the good old days of Visual C++ or Dev C++ in wxWidgets but with GCC as the primary compiler, got three quarters of the way there and then put it in park for the next decade letting other editors pass them by.

the head of CS at my local community college used code blocks. Guy clearly had no real world coding experience, and was mindblown that I would use vim and the command line to write and compile code

clion

I personally use notepad++ on windows, and then I compile from the command line using MinGW. I think it's pretty comfy. When I use Linux I just use Emacs and compile from terminal

vim/cmake/clang

This is a good option OP, VS Code is actually pretty good

Still Vim and GCC

sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/

thegeekstuff.com/2009/12/vim-editor-for-windows

Thank me later

/thread

install WSL and get vim and gcc

I'm actually using WSL (Kali)

Why is C::B's autocompletion so broken?

Vim is not an IDE, but if you learn how to use it, it's faster and better than an IDE, also you can install some plugins to make your experience better

Visual studio code insiders and gcc/g++

Install Gentoo first then

>wsl, nvim, ctags
>stop larping as a programmer and kys
>install a *nix distro and not jump through hoops to program in the lingua fucking franca of computing

i'd go with 2 or 3, desu

Fking true

Geany

I don't really appreciate n++ when coding.. only to shortly edit something

Just like Mr. Robot! Wow you're so cool

vim + gcc on gentoo, as god intended

what are you talking about? all my VS shit starts/runs incredibly fast.

this is the best answer ITT

just use the terminal like a base cunt
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo gedit fag.c

Using Visual Studio Code, I don't get any problem but when using Visual Studio it takes age to load

I've done all my dev in SSH sessions for years. I'd like to look at other editors but anything that can't run in a text editor is out.

devcpp

fpbp as always

Isnt address sanitizer google shit?

Just use cat and redirect stdout to a file, if you make a mistake and already passed the line you don't deserve to code anyways.

There's some setting you can toggle to make it not shit. I don't remember where it is since the settings are fucking everywhere but I have to toggle it every time I install CB.
For POSIX shit I just use MinGW-w64. As for getting fancy tools like include what you use on Windows it's fucking impossible.

Ed is the standard text editor.

Use Windows's built-in notepad

so what so bad about codeblocks? is light and easy to use

Codelite

Code::Blocks uses mingw under the hood, so you can use any editor and mingw from commandline directly
or install vs_buildtools and clang