Tl;dr humans do it Θ(N^2), computers do it Θ(NlogN)

Attached: scrot.png (1442x725, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

outline.com/f86U7B
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02070778/document&ved=2ahUKEwjx3pD_9NjhAhVNKlAKHY25AHYQFjAFegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw27Ak5rKmV1f7VeQAWjzLmN&cshid=1555565501339
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's not Theta(n) it's plain O(n).

??????
Worst case you have two numbers of the same length, you *have* to exhaust all digits.

Link to the algorithm?

outline.com/f86U7B

please

n / (1/n)

Ah yes, division, one of the most expensive operations a computer can perform (time-wise).

1 / 0 = 1 (thank me later mathematician fags)

So this method is created by using unproven theory?

you look up the logarithms and then you add them and look up again.

3 table lookups and one addition, that's O(log(n))

lol can't believe it took them so long to find the x button. fucking brainlets

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 22.18.18.png (232x320, 16K)

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02070778/document&ved=2ahUKEwjx3pD_9NjhAhVNKlAKHY25AHYQFjAFegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw27Ak5rKmV1f7VeQAWjzLmN&cshid=1555565501339
This is the paper from a quick search, they're dicks for not linking this in the first place

Yeah and? It works.

>he's not an operating thetan

Imagine the trillions of dollars that will be saved because of this. Congratulations, and thank you for your incredible gift to mankind!

this desu

now do it for division

God fucking dammit my coworker messages thos article to me like it's the best thing since sliced bread. It's a click-baity fucking useless title. I thought Jow Forums was better than this cause my coworker is a cunt.

they probably mistake x button for a letter
lmaoing at mathematicians

>>Jow Forums
back to the rice fields trump

So I've only skimmed the paper but what is the threshold? Is it practical to use for 2k-bits or something?

>And while the new algorithm is important theoretically, in practice it won’t change much, since it’s only marginally better than the algorithms already being used. “The best we can hope for is we’re three times faster,” van der Hoeven said. “It won’t be spectacular.”
>implying 3x fps wont be spectacular

So it is a more efficient script model for computing? If so this is fantastic. Once applied we will be able to utilize processing power more efficiently and effectively.

Legit hacker news tier posts. Fuck off.

How big is the hidden constant?

Doesn't matter don't you understand asymptotics?

This algorithm makes no difference for crypto if it's inefficient for the relevant sizes. Which is why we don't use fürer or fft or whatever and stick with toom and derivatives.

good point

so were they wrong?

No but it's jsut some worthless truisms.

Once again High Level Language zoomers btfo.