Secure, private smartphone discussion

Looking for a decent and somewhat affordable secure phone. I had CopperheadOS loaded up on a Nexus but the company blew up so the updates are done. Lineage? GrapheneOS? I'm thinking about preordering a Librem 5 but it seems risky.

General secure phone thread.

Attached: shell-l5-1.png (421x881, 276K)

Get the librem, they are working on final hardware and production. Otherwise there is the Pine64 phone.

Will you be able to install any OS on this? I'm gonna buy it right away if yo can install Gentoo on it

Been wondering about this for a while.
I love my Nokia 7.1 but I would like some alternatives to having my life controlled by Google.

I am really lost in the subject of alternative OS to Android and iOS as well as compatibility and stuff.
Any recomendations on what to read, or where to start to get an idea of it all?

The hardware is open and based on arm so yeah you can install Gentoo on it. The question is how long will it take for the kernel guys to get drivers pushed upstream. The same goes for the GNOME and kde mobile guys.

Progress is being made but I don't want a rushed product. They should delay until Christmas this year.

Attached: 1555482402475.jpg (680x680, 86K)

I'm currently using a oneplus 6 with lineageos.

Hadn't heard of the Pine64 phone. Looks interesting

>The question is how long will it take for the kernel guys to get drivers pushed upstream
If they have to code can't they just use a custom Linux kernel until it gets upstream support?

Yeah but do you really want to? The bigger problem really is the GNOME mobile they are build from the ground up.

>Secure, private
>smartphone
stopped reading there, leave your pocket telescreen at home when you need privacy

Samsung Galaxy S3 with Replicant.
Replicant is a fork of Android that includes no propietary software (unlike LineageOS, GrapheneOS, or /e/), so it's the best for your privacy.

Buy a new s5, s6 or s7 on ebay and install Linageos without gapps

>Secure, private smartphone
no smartphone will protect you from triangulation and your phone carrier logging your messages and calls

Ignoring the paid FUD shills on Jow Forums, what exactly seems risky about the Librem5?...

Tried it some days ago and it's absolute shit, not worth it.

Librem 5 > Pine64 Phone > easy to service android device where you'll remove all the sensors yourself before using it

>triangulation
Can't be helped.

>your phone carrier logging your messages and calls
>using standard phone calls and SMS in 2020
Just use whatever's your favorite E2E encrypted text/voice chat application, e.g. some Matrix client or even the likes of Signal and Wire, via mobile data.

>Just use whatever's your favorite E2E encrypted text/voice chat application
The problem with this is that everyone else needs to use that as well.

the librem 5 will probably be shit desu, just install lineage or something like that atm

Yup.
I know quite a few people who use Signal, so I can use it for most of my online communications. I've also been trying to get people on to Matrix recently, but that's not quite as far yet; however, being federated and supporting several clients, I have high hopes for it.
You can still use email, which everyone should have. Even if the other person doesn't use GPG, most modern email goes over TLS, so the only ones logging it will be the likes of Google or whatever your provider is. That should be marginally better than sending what basically amounts to a plaintext message over wireless network to your local mobile provider.

>lol matrix, matrix got hacked

Wrong.
Matrix the protocol is fine. Synapse the main Matrix server is fine. Riot and other Matrix clients are fine.
What got compromised is the general deployment of a single Matrix homeserver via their build system. That has little effect on Matrix in general.

There protocol is also shit af, matrix seemed to be good in the beginning but it's shit af

The kernel ain't a problem they just use usb modems, at least for now, the real issue is the software stack for KDE Mobile etc. is lacking, cause they are developing on real phones for which they have no way to test the modem stack.

i think the nexus 5 can run postmarket os. lsome phones have sailfish ports aswell