How do you all feel about the DOJ delivering the Mueller report on CDs today...

How do you all feel about the DOJ delivering the Mueller report on CDs today? People were complaining about having to hunt down computers that could even use them. Was it old equipment, for security reasons, or just a fuck you?
>web.archive.org/web/20190419051033/https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/18/mueller-report-released-on-cd/

Do you still use CDs? How do you use them and what future do you see for them, if any?

Attached: CD.jpg (730x730, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't see no future but I have a few 100 CDs laying around them and I store music on them.

>Do you still use CDs?
No because I don't play consoles or watch Blu Ray.

It's obvious, people pirated and stopped buying physical copies, the end.

Now people seem to be OK with paying for digital copies with no right of having a physical copy... yuk

> tfw I still use a cd binder I fill with OS installers, recovery software, and discs I get from magazines

Attached: 1548830003918.png (1200x1200, 205K)

CDs are far cheaper than flash media. Imagine the price of delivering SD cards or USB drives to everyone. Besides that it is slightly more secure. CD sessions can be closed and the disc can be finalized. Less chance for tampering in transit. I hope the US government continues to use them.

I am only okay with buying digital copies if there is no DRM attached. If I can back it up on physical media, cloud storage, etc... I have no problem at all with purchasing my content in that way. Trusting some server to stay up, only being allowed to use content alongside some shitty software that requires me to attach it to an account, or worst of all buying something and only being able to stream it will never fly with me. I pirate pretty much anything that fits this description.

>CDs are far cheaper than flash media.

Indeed. Also you can get external cd/dvd drive for a computer for cheap. The people that had problem with it sound like morons.

Honestly sounds a little like petty spite, but considering how technologically backwards the presidential staff is (see Hillary Clinton and her emails), it wouldn't surprise me if Barr or someone under him really thought this was appropriate.

In any event, it's hardly news-worthy.

Me too

>just get this sd card that loses data when unpowered for more than a few months
sure lad
>inb4 disc rot
Proper CD-R's can last a few decades, and CD-ROM's have lasted for decades and will last more

I still buy CDs they store for much longer than flash and not influenced by em interference. I still have some floppy disks that I store texts on.

>didn't know this
thanks for keeping my informed Jow Forums

>Do you still use CDs?
Yes
>How do you use them
Music, PlayStation, and Dreamcast games

>People were complaining about having to hunt down computers that could even use them.
Imagine being too dumb to buy an external optical drive

I have a pretty decent sized collection of old CDs of mainly music and some software and haven't noticed any physical degradation. The sounds made by a cd drive or when you're burning something onto a disc feelsgood.

Imagine not having a desktop and an internal optical drive

Attached: 1552856194283.jpg (1023x1503, 574K)

It is speculated that Amazon's Glacier runs on a robotic DVD storage system, but no concrete info.

(DVDs are believed to last for up to 100 years and are in-bulk as cheap as CDs)

I buy music CDs but otherwise I don't use them at all. My case doesn't have 5.25" bays which suits me fine, I have an external that sits next to my mousemat.

We weren't allowed to put anything USB or flash media into gov computers. Big no no.

Most government types have to be issued the computers and devices they use, so they were probably scrambling to their technological overseers. It's funny how despite working with sensitive information on a daily basis most government employees are still just much of a network security liability as the average joe.

Even without DRM, you're paying money for basically nothing. Too intangible, too easy to forget about and just plain worthless when you can get the same exact thing for free. Anything I really like I'll grab a physical copy of and keep digital backups.

>How do you all feel about the DOJ delivering the Mueller report on CDs today?
they're not going to use usb sticks or memory cards that could be infected or modifed.
>People were complaining about having to hunt down computers that could even use them.
that's retarded
>for security reasons
bingo.

I could feel my fucking brain cells dying when I read that article.
holy shit

>The US Government
Be thankful they don't need a PDP-11 to read it

theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/nuke_plants_to_keep_pdp11_until_2050/

what magazines

I've had plenty of CD's more than 20 years old (the nineties had a lot of music) oxidize.

An electronics magazine I like sometimes gives away digitized back issues, courses or software. There's also software mags around that always come with discs but I don't buy those since I don't have much of a purpose for dozens of outdated trial versions of software I don't really care about and if I wanted software reviews there's better places to ask.

Cd's are safer, and less succeptable to maleare hacks.
You can also have read only cd's.
Man i remember in school we had to ask the librarian, because she kept giving me R only cd's and not RW.

Interesting.

My dad programmed PDPs throughout the 60s and 70s. Perhaps I could persuade him to move to Canada from the UK and make some serious bank.

He'll be 101 by 2050 though...

Attached: R00000121-lp.jpg (1024x1574, 235K)

If physical copies of something exist I like to buy them. It's not always the case anymore though.

well, that's because they are average joes.

>Do you still use CDs?
i archive using m-discs