/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>i3-8100/R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>i5-8400/8600K/R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: steampunk_pc_mkiii_by_spamdragon-d2v8wl7.jpg (900x1348, 239K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80684I78700-Core-i7-8700-Processor/dp/B07598HLB4/?tag=logicaincre05-21
amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-9600K-3-70GHZ-SKT1151-CACHE/dp/B07HHLX1R8/?tag=logicaincre05-21
pcpartpicker.com/list/BJNkNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7EnRjlsvJ3Y
techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=G80uG3acg44
overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html#/topics/1638955?page=216&gid=1&pid=1
mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-8x-3-60GHz-So-1151-WOF_1280054.html
overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/vwMG8Y
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QmdjzY
pcpartpicker.com/list/dn6xzY
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824475017&ignorebbr=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80684I78700-Core-i7-8700-Processor/dp/B07598HLB4/?tag=logicaincre05-21

amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-9600K-3-70GHZ-SKT1151-CACHE/dp/B07HHLX1R8/?tag=logicaincre05-21

which one?
video games

I want to fuck this computer.....

(btw, next time put vega 64 in the 1440p part with "only if under 400$")

Would i be alright using a case with shitty thermals if i'm not overclocking?

8700 is better value and will last longer due to HT and moar cores.

is this bad?

Attached: voltagedrop.png (512x634, 57K)

if your temps are going to be low, yes

I'm thinking about getting a Palit 2070 and an R5 2600, those don't run too hot on stock settings right?

>(btw, next time put vega 64 in the 1440p part with "only if under 400$")
Braindead idiotic AMD shill.

There is no reason to ever buy an AMD GPU right now unless you have some agenda against Nvidia.

Oc'ed 9600k is much faster

How bad am I about to fuck up?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BJNkNQ

Attached: bld.png (1137x960, 3.13M)

you don't need a CPU cooler, it should come with one

>2600 when 9400f is better and cheaper
>580 when 1660 costs the same and 25% better

Why not just buy a better case, buying 3 extra fans just to make a shitty case work seems kinda dumb.

That and the motherboard choice were my only doubts to be honest. But I'm in a quite hot room that's why I went aftermarket. Maybe I can remove it.

9400f is 10% more expensive here.
Also I went with 580 for the FreeSync monitor, don't know how Nvidia + FreeSync works, isn't it supposed to be a hassle?

Normal. You'd need to supply 13-14v so the drop would be 12v while under load and there's no need for that. Design of devices usually takes voltage drop into account.

Attached: shit power supply mate.jpg (625x24, 8K)

I'm open to other microATXes but I liked the all-around filters on this one. Plus the back space for cable routing is very deep. It looks OK but that doesn't really matter to me.

How does one clean a tower cooler heatsink?

The fins are damn small.

>9400f is 10% more expensive here.
B360 motherboard and 2666 ram which you need for it is cheaper though
>don't know how Nvidia + FreeSync works, isn't it supposed to be a hassle?
You just need a dp cable

That was with CPU stress test. Now with GPU I get this
>Pic related
I'm getting no signal when playing games so I'm pretty sure the OSU is fucking with it.
With a GPU stress test it drops by just over a whole 1 volt.
I don't think your pic is under load though

Attached: 1555676216871.png (489x611, 35K)

>I don't think your pic is under load though
That was after gaming and recording the footage with CPU being at 100% load and gpu at 100% load.

Opinions on the 2070 Palit Dual V1?
Is it a good enough card or is it gonna die on me after a few months?

Attached: Palit_GeForce_RTX_2070_Dual_V1__Grafikkarte@@jfxh0r11.jpg (2000x2000, 588K)

Kak. What PSU you got?

Dual is the low end series but it'll work.
I have a palit dual 1060 3GB and the only issue is that it runs a little hot.

Not a shit one, since I actually look at things like voltage ripple, power delivery and other such metrics before buying PSU.

Attached: not under load.jpg (628x1039, 258K)

Here in Sweden at the cheapest online seller:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3,4GHz Socket AM4 Box = 1787 SEK (192 USD)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3,6GHz Socket AM4 Box = 2262 SEK (243 USD)

i'd love to wait but rather than waiting until July just to hear it's being delayed one more month and then wait 1 more months for reliable benchmarks i thought i would just go ahead and buy now and maybe upgrade later. they have said that socket AM4 will work until 2020 after all.

>repeating my post because old thread was replaced by this one

Attached: Kung Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus den 16e.jpg (1360x680, 73K)

Fuck now I'm tempted to just wait for AM5

that's retarded since they will most likely also do zen2+ on am4 before moving on

Yeah my PSU is like 5 years old and came part with a prebuilt so it's no surprise really

But I won't be able to use Zen 3 and 4.

if you dont need to upgrade until 2020 or 2021 then do what you want

>prebuilt
full fucking retard and you wonder why it's shit.

>>prebuilt
>full fucking retard and you wonder why it's shit.
I was young dumb and full of cum. Relax bruv

Have you tried compressed air?

this and a dish brush or similar

if you plan to do that have a vacuum sucking it up, or be outside.

yeah, the dust will shoot out the other side

dont put the vacuum close to any electrical components or enjoy static bricking everything.
on heatsinks and the case's bare metal is ok, but inches away from everything else

You should add the 9900K as the non plus ultra

My i7-2600 system started to shit itself more and more. I think it's the shitty low budget motherboard. This is my modernization plan right now:
>Ryzen 5 2600
>Mini-ITX mobo (have a case already)
>Radeon R9 380 (have already)
Are RAM prices low nowadays for a DDR4 worthy of putting on a Ryzen? What's the minimum RAM frequency I should be aiming for?
What are some quality mobos (at least brands), especially if Linux is concerned? Looking something on the cheaper side. €, France.

Yes.
3200MHz CL16. Preferably lower CL if you can afford it but performance difference is barely noticable.
Dont skimp on mobo, you're going to regret it.
Check level1techs if you want linux support information.

youtube.com/watch?v=7EnRjlsvJ3Y

Attached: 7n48gewun0p21.png (1069x1833, 212K)

My tax return comes in on Monday and I am going to order an RTX 2070, probably the MSI Armor. Is it worth paying an extra $10 to get the OC edition?

Attached: 14-137-363-V07.jpg (1280x960, 74K)

I went from a 2600k to r5 2600 last year and it's great but you might aswell wait a couple weeks for zen2 at this point
3000 memory is fine, 3200 if it's not much more expensive and tweak to cl14

2070 isn't worth it, vega/2060 are significantly cheaper and only 10% slower.

If you're spending 500 or more might aswell get a 2080

Heard the Armor models are sub-par.

Remember to undervolt and OC to get the most out of it and remove the 10% gap.

>couple of weeks
most likely coming in july, which is more than a few weeks, but i do agree it's close enough to wait and see if it's good, if not then just for the price drops on Ryzen 2000

How much hotter does 2600X become compared to 2600?

Attached: sunset.jpg (1920x1080, 523K)

>but performance difference is barely noticable.
stop spreading lies

30W, maybe a bit more since the 2600X has precision boost OC.

fucktard

techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/page3.html

>buy a second hand monitor, apparently everything is fine
>tfw it has not 1 or 2 but about 15 dead pixels
i got memed

no you're just retarded for not checking before buying

>how much
Who knows, but it's definitely hotter and louder. +50% tdp for 200mhz and higher cost is not worth it

had no way of checking since it was shipped.
oh i just noticed that it also has an awful coil whine

How would you even check? asking for a friend haha.

>skylake
kek

Which 2060 though? So many models.

yes you did you dumb fuck.

>ask seller how many dead pixels
>ask for pictures with different solid color backgrounds taken with non-shit camera
>if he cant do either then stay the fuck away

depends on the game

youtube.com/watch?v=G80uG3acg44

the description was that everything is 100% fine expect for scratches on the mount. he had like 97% positive ratings as well, but yeah i should have asked for pictures.

then you can report him/get refund for false information

Then take pictures and put a complaint so you can get your money back.

That's a neat image. Do you have an Intel one?

Let him live with his mistake. It's not the sellers thought that he's retarded.

dont think refund will be possible since he'll probably ask for me to ship it back in which case i would have to pay for the shipping (again, which is already 1/2 of the monitor's price). it was pretty cheap but still the description was misleading as fuck

Is there a resource to find brand-tiers? Like what makes a good card and what makes a bad card?

Why haven't you built a Steampunk PC yet?

Attached: steampunkcasemod222.jpg (500x496, 65K)

Nope, as soon as you file a "significantly not as described" report you're automatically issued a shipping label at the seller's expense and a refund as soon as they receive it. The seller has no hope of winning.

As far as AMD cards go, always go with Sapphire. Nvidia is a toss up between evga and Asus. MSI and Gigabyte tend to be hit or miss. Xfx is nigger tier.

Ayy cheers dude

no but you can get it yourself if you google "intel motherboard vrm" or something similar

>clearly false information in the ad
>not the sellers fault
fuck off poojeet/squint-eyed fuck

check reviews.
>good power delivery.
>good cooling (heatsinks on important shit).
and some other shit i cant think of right now.
probably warranty aswell.

The merchant got me.

Attached: file.png (579x380, 85K)

I've heard AMD graphics cards are terrible with OpenGL, is that true?

Attached: frostpunk.jpg (1920x1080, 1.47M)

Depends on the type of gaming you do

>Emulation
AMD opengl is hot garbage on Windows. you need open-source drivers in Linux before you get performance.

>Modern Games
AMD is serviciable, but underperforms without low-level api.

Generally Nvidia is objectively better with OpenGL.

>overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html#/topics/1638955?page=216&gid=1&pid=1
Post #2156

mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-8x-3-60GHz-So-1151-WOF_1280054.html
>530€
>Aorus
Here you can get it for 40€ less and get an Asus mobo

breh come on just click the post number in the thread to get permalink

overclock.net/forum/27657582-post2156.html

AMD needs to step it up, Nvidea needs at least one competitor.

Attached: master sword.jpg (1920x1200, 492K)

Ok I am new to RAM ocing and have no idea about CL timings.
I just placed an order for corsair DDR4 3000Mhz 2x8hb kit with timings at 16-20-20-38. Did I just make a massive mistake? I am currently on skylake systems but plan to move to ryzen later on but from the little knowledge know these timings could casue issues with ryzen?

Attached: 1534102203908.png (900x900, 500K)

Mindfactory doesn't ship to Greece. Furthermore, the prices indicated here are with 24% local VAT, not 19% German VAT as on mindfactory.

Also, mid-range Asus Z390 mobos are trash. The VRMs are weak and throttle when overclocking an i9-9900k

You aren't French and depends on the board really. A hero can do 5.2 Ghz and you don't get the shitty software/BIOS of Gigabyte.

it's not bad but not great. My corsair ram is 16 1818 and 3200mhz and those are just decent timings as far as I know. You're better off getting 3200 for ryzen if you can.

The Hero is 300+ dollars, almost double the price for no real benefit. I can deal with slight BIOS wonkiness in exchange for an extra 140€

>You aren't French

Okay. And?

Βασισμενος kαι kοkkινοχαπαkομενος

>He thinks it's only the BIOS
Lmao, the problems I had with Gigabyte in Z270 were enough for me to change to Asus but ok, your choice and your screenshot is in French?

Can someone help me out? I'm not a novice, I've built a new PC every year for the last 10 years, some of the new shit though I just don't understand. I know this will be a good PC but I'm worried about monitors, can someone just thumb through this before I buy it? No I'm not a Saudi prince, I got a big settlement and got a lump sump so I'm splurging on a nice PC before I die from alcohol poisoning. :\

Attached: whatever.jpg (1420x884, 176K)

>shintel
>novideo
fuck off shill

The thing I'm most confused about is 144hz and other shit, I know a lot about hardware but I just don't get all the new shit they're doing with monitors..

>I've built a new PC every year for the last 10 years

do you have more ssd storage? If not get more than 250gb
Also go 144hz since you have a 2080

RAM is at a point where you will notice no difference how fast it is, all that matters is how much RAM you have.

Attached: hills.jpg (800x600, 111K)

>your choice and your screenshot is in French?

Imagine being such a brainlet that you can't understand basic terms of different romance languages without a translator.

>Z270
DESU that's pretty ancient. In any case, if I got something like an Asus Z390 Prime for the same price, I'd have to really dial back the overclocks to prevent thermal throttling from the VRMs.

Is this the smallest and cheapest possible build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/vwMG8Y

Attached: aNYj3W4_460s.jpg (460x640, 60K)

I've got 2 1TB internals and an additional non-M2 256gb SSD.

I help family and friends out with them but I build a new one for myself every 1-2 years and give mine to a friend so they can game with me.

Guys, I'm not shilling or trying to be a faggot, I keep up with what's out there but I thought you more informed guys might know something I don't.

Also AMD / ATI is fine I just prefer Intel / Nvidia since the says of the AMD 2000+ days, I crushed 2 of those cause how janky the weight distribution pads were. It's just a preference.

Attached: 2.jpg (640x596, 58K)

What i've conjured up so far
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QmdjzY

I've been out the PC game for a few years, last time i had any decent clue was back when r9 290x's and fx-8350's were the go to.

>budget
My budget is about £1000 ($1300) for hardware, monitors / perphreals can come at a later date (as in i can deal with 1 and a shitty keyboard until i buy the rest)

>Uses
My primary use is likely gaming, possibly light video editing at some points (but i'd risk the presumption a "high end" gaming rig could handle that)

>CPU
I'd like to stay AMD with this, the pricing for sapphire vega cards are good (400) where im at, weirdly enough it seems 290's dissapeared off the market. old, anyway.

>Cooling?
I've got a fetish for AIO coolers so I'll purchase a Corsair H110i v2 or NZXT Kraken.

I'd be super grateful for any input, cost shavings and performance boosts. Personally I think the CPU/GPU combo has some wiggle room but i haven't looked into it too much since ive been busy

>pcpartpicker.com/list/dn6xzY

Hey guys. I got some help from some dope ass guy last time. About to pull the trigger today. Just thinking about any changes to be made.
Requirements are
1-Play league 120fps and either stream or record during.
2-Play path of exile any fps. 20 is fine. (kms).
Notes:
1-An SSD already on the side. But grabbing one isn't out the window.
2-Monitor is actually a 144hz one listed here
>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824475017&ignorebbr=1

So at this point I'd like help with. SSD recommend, case fan input, and finally recommendation if this is overkill. I'm down to save a "decent $" if overkill but don't not waste your time for small booboos.

also, don't berate me for not having an SSD in the build, I've got some laying about haha

Basically got for $106 AUD after some cashback offer bit I could spend the extra 40 bucks for 3200 hotter timing's?

It looks like the Asus Strix 2070 is a little bit faster and it's on sale right now. As long as I don't forget to send in the rebate it would be the same price as the Armor OC edition ($520). I should look up some reviews and see if it's a better option for me. I just hope it will fit in my case.