Fix Desktop Linux

All right faggots let's debate. I think we all must admit that Linux isn't yet popular unlike Windows or MacOS, and that could be due to technological issues. What technological progresses and solutions would Linux need in order to become better and sophisticated for everyone.

Attached: jack_frost.jpg (550x800, 44K)

Anytime something tries to appeal to everyone, it works for no one

Attached: 1552045964510.jpg (800x1115, 621K)

This. Also the "Linux community" is a lot like the bitches on Twitter. They attack and criticize everything about Linux to the point that they actually make the whole prospect of using Linux, very unappealing to new users. I mean, all they do is talk shit about every distro and any changes that occur in their kernel or software. It really sounds miserable.

Could that be also caused by FOSS supporters? I'm not saying that FOSS is bad but just their follower which they really can be obnoxious and terrify everyone away? Making Linux less tedious is not as easy as anyone thinks.

It needs to be simple, and look like Windows for all the normies, maybe a package with Wine and Proton bundled together would be great too. Could also hide the CLI stuff and GRUB when it boots, it scares the regular user.

I think a major factor that prevents a lot of common people from installing Linux is that they have an idea of Linux that it's for "advanced computing". A lot of people's think that because all they do is browse the web and maybe make a word document that Linux is too advanced for them. There is a mental image of what advanced computing is like and it scares a lot of people away. I think the reality of the situation is that many Linux distros are perfectly suitable for just web browsing and layman computing.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

As a windowsfag let me explain my recent experience
>decide to install xubuntu on spare SSD
>able to update software and kernel fine, able to install what I want fine
>firefox will like freeze for a good 20 seconds with a ghost image of what was behind it everytime it's resized
>make sure proprietary nvidia drivers are up to date
>they are
>try turning off composition in window manager settings
>doesn't fix it
>try forcing composition in nvidia settings
>doesn't fix it
>post about it here
>get told I should try Manjaro instead
>do so, clean install
>still happens
>try swapping xfce for another DE
>doesn't fix it
see the problem here?
I'm happy to troubleshoot problems for hours but this is ridiculous.
x2 separate clean distro installs and I can't use my desktop for web browsing?
That's a joke.

Linux will never be a popular desktop OS while it's in this sort of state.

Attached: 1542533482073.png (1835x596, 521K)

But how exactly developers will accomplish simplicity?

By making everything retard proof and adding shit that does error and corruption handling for you.

>Could that be also caused by FOSS supporters?
Yeah, they contribute to the hate and discontent, too. Linux and FOSS are two separate entities with their own ideas and the FOSS community, feels, for whatever reason, entitled to comment on the direction Linux takes.

>I think we all must admit that Linux isn't yet popular unlike Windows or MacOS
Linux is more popular than both.

KDE -> Default Desktop
systemd -> Integrated in Kernel

Then I would think that the Linux community would need a high number of normalfags that contribute in a positive way and work as a opposition to those faggots

Let me play all the games with less than 10% performance loss.

That is all.

I guess that would go in the category of making everything simpler

I've never had this issue, could it be it's due to Nvidia?

it's an xfce thing.

Firefox on Linux is a third class citizen. Use any of the ungoogled Chromium forks.

Child.

>Use any of the ungoogled Chromium forks
And making plugins difficult for Windowfags? I know it isn't hard to just download crx file but you can't give a serious advantage for him with that browser.
So? What's your point? We at least once wanted to play a game on our computers, don't pretend like you didn't.

I don't want to play with games, nor have I ever.

I have used ungoogled chromium.
As I said I have no trouble fiddling with things.
But I want to use Firefox, vertical tabs are too important for me.

here's your problem, you don't understand how old is the shit you are trying to use. Xfce has had no development for a good 3 years, why fo you think it will work for your nvidia card? You should have installed the default Ubuntu or Fedora like everyone. And don't listen to retarded advice to use manchild nobody distros like Manjaro

Marketing

Get an AMD card, you get quite a speed boost if compared to the card on windows because AMD suck monkey dicks at writing drivers and the open source one is a lot better.

Imagine that you start a moving company and you get a truck for free but instead of using it and earning money you waste time for making it work. Thats fucking linux. I hate this pos, its make for and by greasy neckbeards to make them feel "special" by using some obscure commands to make a fucking working shortcut, FUCK LINUX

Not every Linux Distro is obscure as you say.

Ubuntu/Debian/RHEL are widely used and known even by normalfags. Fuck off.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.
Windows and MacOS are botnets.
Linux is a kernel.

Linux is shit, don't bother.

It is getting less and less shit by the day.
Mostly because windows is trying its hardest to be as shit as it can be, and the other one is stuck inside awful boxes.

Give me VS2019 and MICROSOFT Office(not a shitty alternative!) and I will have no reason to use Windows.

bait harder faggot

>Curious casuals and Windows refugees will try Linux and realise something doesn't work
>Don't have the technical expertise to get the right answer to the problem
>Ask on forums, superusers who've heard it all before tell them to use the search function and lock the thread, or it just gets ignored outright
>The casual wonders why they bothered, uninstalls and goes back to Windows

Documentation for entry-level OS needs to be more brainlet-friendly, with an extensive list of common problems and straightforward solutions.

>buy a thinkpad with the nvidia optimus jew because it was a steal
>realize the only distros that just werk are ubuntu and manjaro
>even then still get screen tearing and weird x errors ootb
>switch back to winshit 10 and it just works
i hate to admit it but i agree
yes nvidia is proprietary shitware garbage but i want to use a laptop with more than 2 external displays when i dock it.

Microsoft Office. Back in '88, before Office was ported for Apple, Macs had about the same market share as Linux desktop does now.
You got to be able to use it at work and all companies us MS Exchange and Office. End if story.

Attached: 1460385278293.jpg (720x960, 71K)

Samsung Dex is a perfectly usable and solid Linux desktop.

There's really nothing to debate; it's not popular because winfags and macfags don't want to use a CLI. I'm about to soon dump Windows all together because it's so dumbed down now.

I'm 28 with a full time job, wife, house and a good body due to working out for 10+ years.

When I'm not working, I like to play games, watch movies and do other stuff.

Once you grow up you'll stop caring what other people think about what you do, as well as distance yourself from overly negative people (such as yourself) that are nothing but a drain on your energy and happiness - which is probably why a lot of people on here are friendless and have no significant other.