How do people justify running slow bloated single-threaded deprecated garbage in 2020 - 1?

How do people justify running slow bloated single-threaded deprecated garbage in 2020 - 1?

Attached: 1536213635258.png (400x400, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/70415407/
youtube.com/watch?v=8kCd4w4kc68
suckless.org/rocks/
youtube.com/watch?v=OBhu5oxWKWI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

how is it bloated?

>irc
>email
>tetris
How is it not?
I honestly can't believe so many people use Emacs when it goes against the Unix philosophy.

it's not running fast modern javascript.

how is email and irc bloat?

>irc
>email
>tetris

do you not use an instant messaging system or email?

>email is bloat
what?

I don't run it, I run based vim instead

>uganda editor
How about you faggots grow up and use an actual IDE made this millennium?

fine, ill switch to neovim

>how is having full blown irc and email clients in a fucking text editor bloat

Attached: 1525312973134.jpg (1170x742, 70K)

>email in a text editor is not bloat
what?

>writing text is not bload
>sending text is bload
>having a separte application to send text is not bload

Emacs is more of an application suite, its text editor is just the most popular of its features.

do you even understand how email works? you are not sending or receiving your email from your text editor buddy

>single threaded
Reason enough.

Is there even a viable alternative? I've tried sublime, but I can't customize it very completely without writing my own extensions, which I don't really have time for these days. I can't seem to integrate sublime with my build system, debugger, and tokens, just because I'm not using a popular compiler.

UNIX philosophy is so dated and not made for current computer advancement that you calling up on it shows just how big of a brainlet you are

Those packages are completely optional.
If you don't use that shit it doesn't even get loaded. Do you prefer software that can't be customized and extended?

Do you think X language is bloated because people have written Y and Z in it, too?

Idk but I was thinking about creating a lightweight text editor with Guile lisp so it could be multithreaded and as easily extended as emacs.
>my build system, debugger, and tokens
use the terminal you dumb nigger.

>do you even understand how email works

Attached: 1538826712613.png (1920x1080, 1.82M)

>(- 2020 1)
FTFY

Yeah, let's make all our programs bloated and slow just because we have the resources amirite?

Underrated bait.

Attached: de282940bcf5b0bcffae10e311c14c4f74efd1d9.jpg (601x508, 48K)

Are you this guy? archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/70415407/

Can't you see by the account name?

How does having a tetris and irc implementation bundled with emacs make the program bloated and slow? You don't seem to understand how software works.

Go away, Luke.

Are you implying they don't magically take up more space?
lmao @ ur life

How does a file taking up space on a filesystem make a program slower? Is your twitch video gaming config file making your C compiler slower right now?

emacs starts at least 3 times longer than electron-shit-everyone-hates aka VS Code because it has so much shit inside it is designed to be opened for hours.

>3 times longer
I have a very hard time believing that electron/vscode start in 1/3 of a second.
>it has so much shit inside it
You don't seem to understand how software works. Files on your file system do not make your program slower if they aren't loaded into your program.

dude, I can play movies while playing tetris. I don't give a fuck about everything else.

Luke, just fuck off

run it as a server. Instant loading.

>I have a very hard time believing that electron/vscode start in 1/3 of a second.
Yeah and emacs takes an entire second on my computer. Emacs is slow as shit to open between all the bloat and being singlethreaded.
Why are you a retard that thinks the only problem with bloated software we're allowed to insult it for is speed? Both taking up disk space and slowness are downsides of using bloated garbage like emacs.

what makes it bloated though?

Having a bunch of garbage that is unnecessary for editing plain text, files what do you think bloat means?

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 77K)

How is 1s of startup time """slow""" for something you open only once? You can also use it in daemon mode to open new emacs windows instantly if you need that for some retarded reason.
>taking up disk space
How does the sole act of taking up more disk space make emacs an overall worse program than anything else out there? If you're crying about negligible disk space usage, I sure hope you aren't using the GNU coreutils and glibc.
>slowness
How is it """slow"""?

unnecessary according to whom?

it just werks

Attached: r0ad288kma8x.jpg (3840x2160, 695K)

You probably think that cute girls greeting you upon opening your editor is ``bloat'' too.

Attached: witchmacs.png (674x626, 117K)

based

When you do these things at the same time in Emacs, it will use way less resources than if you were to do them with separate utilities. That's because they're reusing the same code, and on top of that you get a nice and consistent interface to get your work done.

I'm a Lisper -- I only have disdain for eunuchs weenie sophistry.

user... emacs...
It's like you want poor Ugandan children to starve.

Because A lot research people wrote a lot language support for Lisp,haskell,ocaml,clojure, ... , and research use Emacs because software support.

Emacs curse, Every non-mainstream language support is for Emacs and every non-mainstream language is doom to mainstream because only good Emacs support.

got the vid?

people who want a program to edit their plaintext files and not a second operating system that does everything worse than their current operating system.
>How is 1s of startup time """slow""" for something you open only once? You can also use it in daemon mode to open new emacs windows instantly if you need that for some retarded reason.
Opening a source code file is not a resource intensive task and as such should happen in much less than a second. If you only open it once you have to use it as a window manager, file manager and basically as a second operating system. It is much shittier at managing windows than dwm or i3, it is shittier at being a file manager than ranger and shittier at being an operating system than GNU/Linux.

There's lately been a lot of resentment and whining towards Emacs from non-users here. What gives? Did some epic e-celeb make an Emacs diss video?

>people who want a program to edit their plaintext files
emacs does that
>and not a second operating system that does everything worse than their current operating system
emacs doesnt do that

>Opening a source code file is not a resource intensive task and as such should happen in much less than a second.
How is opening up emacs the same as "opening a source code file"? You also seem to be missing out on the part where I say how it's possible to instantly open new emacs windows to edit files.
>If you only open it once you have to use it as a window manager
How does this follow? You legitimately seem to have some kind of a handicap.
>shittier at being an operating system than GNU/Linux.
It's not trying to be an "operating system" (unless being able to write a WM in C makes C an operating system), you retard. For someone who claims to follow the "UNIX" "philosophy", you seem to not even know what "operating system" means. Emacs is merely a set of applications on top of a Lisp interpreter built for the purpose of doing things related to text editing. It's as much of an "operating system" as any other programming language interpreter bundled with some software.

Also, it's the most customizable text editing system currently available, which immediately makes it superior to everything else.

>emacs starts at least 3 times longer than electron-shit-everyone-hates aka VS Code
Bullshit. Emacs takes only a second to start, including extensions and without byte-compiling anything. Electron takes five fucking seconds.
Pic related is with a file open in Emacs that requires a third-party language mode to be loaded, which uses more memory. I haven't even done anything in Atom for this comparison, no files or plugins or anything.
>people who want a program to edit their plaintext files and not a second operating system that does everything worse than their current operating system.
My operating system doesn't edit plaintext natively, retard.

Attached: Capture.png (556x54, 5K)

I bet you use a web browser for all or part of this, including posting on Jow Forums.
Emacs provides a superior operating, application delivery and programming environment to conventional operating systems. Such environments will keep being reinvented as long as operating systems don't pick up on it.
I'm using firefox, emacs and linux. Linux in this case exists purely to provide basic plumbing to the other two userspace operating systems I use because linux and its native software is mostly useless.

>You also seem to be missing out on the part where I say how it's possible to instantly open new emacs windows to edit files.
It's a hack. And it requires you to waste RAM and resources running emacs in the background at all times. Which I don't want to do because emacs is bad.
>How does this follow? You legitimately seem to have some kind of a handicap.
If you only open it once how do you edit multiple files without it replacing the functionality of your window manager? Do you have a handicap?
>Also, it's the most customizable text editing system currently available, which immediately makes it superior to everything else.
As soon as someone releases something just as extensible and isn't a bloated single threaded OS with horrible keybindings then emacs is finished. I should write the emacs killer myself.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about my GNU+Linux distro? You little Bitch?
I'll have you know I graduated top my class in the online C# courses I torrented from Unity, and I'm in the top 10 hacker on the Daily Programing Thread. You are nothing to me but another Windows Shitposter.
I will DDOS your router into another fucking plane of existence the likes of which has never been made into a cringy .webm on Jow Forums you zoomer gaymer queerbait drag queen.
As we speak I am contacting my secret network of LEET-NEET's across all of europoor, so you better prepare for the digital shitstorm that will download hentai of questionably aged females onto your Kingston USB flash disk and seagate removable HDD.
Your life is fucking over kid. I have no job, and can be online anytime and anywhere with my VPN.
Not only am I proficient in rust, perl, and CS, but I will make full use of the entire chink shit general shopping list to overload your mcafee antivirus premium, you little shit.
If only you had known that Linux unto itself is not an operating system but simply a part of a fully functioning unix operating system in use by countless machines today; maybe you wouldn't have shitposted on 4channers home turf.
You didn't, and now you're paying the price asked by proprietary software companies to do things that libreoffice and gimp do just as well.
I will shit javascript and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead kiddo.

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=8kCd4w4kc68

Attached: 1552853828972.png (1357x1031, 1.59M)

All these seething unitards are going crazy over this.

It is you who does not understand le email.

>webdev uses VSC
How is this even news?

Does it have a good plugin for rust?

>If you only open it once how do you edit multiple files without it replacing the functionality of your window manager? Do you have a handicap?
Emacs can use multiple windows for a single instance and share buffers between them. Besides, not everyone uses a tiling WM.
>As soon as someone releases something just as extensible and isn't a bloated single threaded OS with horrible keybindings then emacs is finished. I should write the emacs killer myself.
If you're really that much of an autist about some disk usage, you can just delete the legacy files yourself.

>It's a hack.
How the fuck is running a program as a daemon a "hack"? Do daemons also somehow go against your special interpretation of the "UNIX" "philosophy"?
>And it requires you to waste RAM and resources running emacs in the background at all times.
You are running Linux in the background right now. It's also bad and harmful since it does not follow the "UNIX" "philosophy". Your web browser is bad too.
>replacing the functionality of your window manager?
Is your window manager so crippled that its only functionality is spawning windows to edit text? You seem to be genuinely confused at how software works.
>As soon as someone releases
Go ahead then. And better learn a non-shit extensible language while you're at it, you'll need it to write anything that comes even remotely close to emacs.

ikr

Attached: 1527784121302.png (1920x1080, 556K)

>he doesn't have 32GB of ram nor 6TB of space always ready to go
lmaoing @ urlyfe poorfag

>that like/dislike ratio
>scroll to comments
>"I really need emojis in my editor"
God bless these bugmen for driving e-spergs to Emacs for us.

Attached: SEETHING.gif (800x430, 564K)

>Emacs can use multiple windows for a single instance and share buffers between them. Besides, not everyone uses a tiling WM.
Yeah, but unless you are running it in a tty, why would you?
What I do is spawn several frames instead of internal Emacs windows to enjoy dwm's superior tiling and Emacs' shared buffers at the same time.
Mention it in the Suckless mailing list and enjoy Anselm Garbe and Sylvain Bertrand getting butmad at this.

I'm a faggot, I meant to reply to

you should add
(defun display-startup-echo-area-message ()
"Change default startup message."
(message "Happy coding user, uwu."))

to the witchmacs config

wtf i love bloat now

never because they suck

>You are running Linux in the background right now. It's also bad and harmful since it does not follow the "UNIX" "philosophy".
Linux isn't great but it's the best we have. I would use Minix if there was a good Minix distributions.
>Your web browser is bad too.
You're right web browsers have to be supremely bloated to deal with the nu-internet, any good developer should strive to make their programs the opposite of a web browser or any other gigantic piece of bloat.
>Is your window manager so crippled that its only functionality is spawning windows to edit text? You seem to be genuinely confused at how software works.
No but that's one of the things it can do. Any program that tries to do that task is bloated because I already have a wm to do it.
>And better learn a non-shit extensible language while you're at it, you'll need it to write anything that comes even remotely close to emacs.
I already know lisp and I'm planning on using Guile for it so that it can be multithreaded and stuff written for it can potentially be repurposed for other applications . Emacs devs have wanted to swap emacs over to using Guile but can't rework all the legacy crap and bloated stuff to work with it.

Keep supporting nigger-loving software then.

Attached: vim_niggers.png (418x290, 8K)

Imagine paying $10 a month to a souless corporation so you can draw circles, when you can draw circles in vim and make a voluntary 1 time donation to help starving Ugandan children.

Attached: circle.webm (848x520, 250K)

>Any program that tries to do that task is bloated
So being bloated is now context-sensitive and depends on what keybindings I press or don't press to open or not open certain windows in a program? I thought it had something to do with the program itself, but I guess a "UNIX" "philosopher" knows better.

set shortmess+=I >> .vimrc

How does this deal with the problem of vim supporting niggers in Uganda?

the freetards figured out how to make circles
we are so fucked

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Attached: CopyQ.OpBmhw.png (921x772, 58K)

>What I do is spawn several frames instead of internal Emacs windows to enjoy dwm's superior tiling and Emacs' shared buffers at the same time.
That's what I meant, essentially. I wish frames were called windows and windows were called panes, it'd make much more sense.
>Mention it in the Suckless mailing list and enjoy Anselm Garbe and Sylvain Bertrand getting butmad at this.
Kek, that does sound fun.
What do the suckless nerds even use for editing? I refuse to believe they unironically use most of the little toy programs on their site.
>I already know lisp and I'm planning on using Guile for it so that it can be multithreaded and stuff written for it can potentially be repurposed for other applications
Still bloated by Unix Philosophy standards. If you follow it closely you invariably end up with some wonky bullshit like Acme.

What font is that?

I am writing a philosophy paper on the UNIX philosophy right now. What's a good suckless/unbloated alternative to org-mode?

Attached: thinking_man.jpg (900x400, 33K)

Vimwiki is in many ways and what I used until I stopped caring about shit being 'bloated'.

>What's a good suckless/unbloated alternative to org-mode?
Nothing, because org-mode does more than one thing, which makes it BLOOOOOOOOOOAT. The Unix philosophy means fiddling with sed and awk to do everything.

emacs does not contradict the unix philosophy

But how will my readers react to knowing that I use bloated software when I position myself as a philosopher of UNIX?
I am planning to use a collection of *BSD utils like echo, sed, cat, grep and awk to write the text for my paper, but now I need an outlining tool. I will also use an unbloated version of TeX to compile it down to some suckless document format (don't know which one yet).

Attached: statue-of-lao-tzu-chinese-philosopher-DX0D38.jpg (970x1390, 201K)

>tfw working as a js dev
>tfw emacs user
>tfw can't stand vs code
I doubt he actually loved Emacs if he ended up downgrading to proprietary bloatware from microsoft.

Attached: lel.png (372x351, 117K)

You could use a pencil and paper to outline

>What do the suckless nerds even use for editing? I refuse to believe they unironically use most of the little toy programs on their site.
Judging from this page: suckless.org/rocks/ I _think_ they use Vim with most of its functionality excluded at compile time (probably what you get with the vim.tiny Debian package or the Gentoo vim package with the "minimal" USE flag enabled), but at that point, I wonder why not just use lightweight Vi implementations such as nvi instead of Vim.

Attached: 1552915968677.png (545x370, 169K)

youtube.com/watch?v=OBhu5oxWKWI

Philosophy is bloat.

EVERYONE in this video, including the ancom whore, is annoying as fuck but the arch unit is among the least annoying.

most of them are still in school, so they can do their little school projects with nano probably

The idea of org mode is inherently bloat so there is none. If you want to make a PDF file I believe Groff can do that without bloat. Markdown is good but I believe you need bloat to turn it in to a PDF.

org mode is not bloated though

PDF itself is bloat, trying to generate one without bloat is self-contradictory.

Is this the new Emacs thread?

Attached: Eww_GNU_Emacs_24.4.png (711x609, 152K)

>youtube.com/watch?v=8kCd4w4kc68
Holy shit

Attached: 1482576844638.png (625x626, 19K)

i like emacs because TRAMP supports adb

nvi doesn't have visual mode, which is pretty useful.