There are old as fuck boomer people on this board that ACTUALLY are trying to get people to use ugly as fuck Thinkpad...

>there are old as fuck boomer people on this board that ACTUALLY are trying to get people to use ugly as fuck Thinkpad laptops that look like fucking printers
>the thinkpad website still as fucked up stretched images TO THIS DAY

>the sleekest laptops with the smoothest form factor and speed to this day are still Apple Laptops and Razer Blade laptops and Spectre x360s while thinkpads X1s still have embossed as fuck branding TWICE on the device and a red as fuck nipple

thinkpad hate thread, move on old man

Attached: chrome_2019-04-20_10-52-25.png (958x969, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1119586572079378433
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

thinkpad could never

Attached: official-announcement-about-the-laptop-hp-spectre-x360-with-a-battery-life-of-up-to-22-5-hours.jpg (1256x708, 159K)

>there are thinkpad laptops still using DDR3

Attached: 1360910238683.jpg (512x459, 68K)

>only criticism is the aesthetic
this is why nobody takes applemen seriously
these seem cool but kind of frail. never handled one but they're really light, are they not?

i got the 15 inch one from 2017, used it for school and for work once i graduated.
Case is metal and it handled my usage through out the years pretty well. when you buy the laptop it comes with a leather bag with fuzz inside to keep it safe in your backpack and luggage and such too.

and here we have an example of a mistake and what will eventually be a dead-end in laptop-design.

A 7" tablet is the perfect size for me. I have a 10" and a 7" and the 7" really is the comfortable size for me, 10" is just a bit too big. It's fine to put on a stand & use as a video player in the kitchen or things like that. And.. a laptop folded into a 13" or 15" "tablet", thick and, for a tablet, heavy? Just try holding and using one of those silly 2-in-1's and you'll get why the idea is stupid.

let people who like Thinkpads enjoy their Thinkpads, why would you let that bother you? For me it's a no-go due to poor design choices (all the brand new ones) or too outdated hardware (all the old ones). And even if a used one has a CPU fast enough for you you'll still be wanting to replace the screen and the HDD (unless it's a SSD) first thing.

>manlet hands

was thinking about one since one of the lecturers at my uni had one. once i graduate (if i do) might as well buy it. my current hp laptop is serving me well, though.

FUNCTION > FORM

Laptops are social statements. Like cars

>it comes with a leather bag with fuzz inside to keep it safe in your backpack and luggage and such

What bag doesn't have a laptop sleeve these days?

thinkpads aren't even that much more functional than other laptops. they've just developed a devoted cult following, much like another company whose name shan't be uttered.

I don't think many old as fuck boomer people actually would defend the newer thinkpads that much. They are pretty much macbooks with a clit when compared to the old printer(?) looking ones.

>babby's first business laptop
it isn't really special by big boy standards, aside from its nip mouse and top buttons.

Not more functional than other business laptops.

But hot-swappable batteries, a proper keyboard and decent enough ventilation to keep thermal throttling to a minimum are great things to have.

Hp was good around 2005-2012. Or I guess tech in general. Nowadays everything has to be slim, light, expensive and disposable.

I used a ThinkPad at a Fortune 100 company for a couple months. Shit was absolute garbage. Would take 20 mins to boot, and was slow as hell.

Then I joined a small tech company with less than 10 employees. They gave me an old MacBook pro. Shit runs so fast, and is a thousand times better. If a ThinkPad can't even do as well as a Mac, it's a pathetic brand.

I'm 40 years old and my T460p is much better than my T420.
And in every way including sturdiness (hint: heavier battery != stronger)

>>the thinkpad website still as fucked up stretched images TO THIS DAY
why does this happen though ?
wtf lenovo

And I have a macbook pro that's slower than my thinkpad x1c that I got from eBay for 90$

Maybe you should list the specs of both, dear.

I was at a multi-billion dollar company and the computers there are worse than a tiny little tech company. It's the brand, not the specs.

>x1c
not a Thinkpad

NOW I AM BECOME LENOVO
DESTROYER OF BRANDS

except modern thinkapds thermalthrottle as much as other brands. Hell, xps15 gives better performance than x1e with same hardwire and t480 performs worse than t480s. Thinkpads are not good at handling heat

>I was at a multi-billion dollar company
So?
You were part of the corporate bureaucracy.
It serves no purpose, it produces nothing.
Why would they spend money on good laptops?
Unless you had at least 100 people below you you were a nobody in a sea of nobodies.

Hot-swappable batteries are the only genuinely cool feature you listed there. Ventilation and keyboards really aren't that big a problem with the competition anyway.

>x1e
Again: NOT a Thinkpad.

>t480 performs worse than t480s.
>Thin laptops perform worse than thick laptops
No shit Sherlock.

That is why you buy a PROPER Thinkpad i.e. a nice and thick one and not some gay Ultracrap fashion accessory.

Unfortunately people like you cause Lenovo to make fewer and fewer real Thinkpads and more thermalthrottling bullshit instead. - that's the problem.

>Ventilation and keyboards really aren't that big a problem with the competition anyway.

Not with competing BUSINESS laptops no.

But CONSUMER laptops all have god awful keyboards and unless it's some "gaming laptop" the cooling is generally terrible as well.

>get a nice and thick one
this

Attached: thicc.jpg (1080x1349, 120K)

no one really cares what laptop you use or what car you drive, unless they're novel and interesting. in a sea of design that all look the same and everyone has (honda, every single fucking crossover, macbook), peoples' interest gravitate towards things that stand out as different on the road or in the coffee shop (classic, modded, or even just boxy looking cars, thinkpads).

>sees a macbook
>says nothing, because everyone has a macbook

>sees a thinkpad
>"oh neat they still make laptops like that"
>"hey i remember using one of those in the 90s! worked great back then"
>"an old laptop like that is still useful? that's pretty cool"

This is what boomers actually think

This board is full of impressionable people who identify with the products they use.
ThinkPads aren't even good business laptops.

>my computer has to be pretty
>don't tell me otherwise or I'll call you old
Go be gay someplace else.

>specs don't matter
A thinkpad can be had with a 5400rpm drive and a 2 core pile of shit as well as a Xeon and a multiple TB+ NVMe ssds in raid 0

2/10 I replied

>dell
Enjoy your DPC issues

whats a good looking laptop that can take 2 M.2 drives

>ThinkPads aren't even good business laptops.

No, they are the best.

What is then? If you think dell or HP don't even reply.

>unironically caring about aesthetics

I haven't had a chance to see Dell's business laptop lines, but my Grandpa's HP Elite 2560p was like a ThinkPad that didn't suck shit.
The fact you can get access to all the hardware just by unlatching the magnesium backplate alone makes them better than ThinkPads, where you often have to remove the fucking keyboard (which is screwed in) just to get at all the RAM.

I hope you're memeing

Attached: remove-replace-memory-ram-06.jpg (500x375, 33K)

people love a story
>"nice bmw. why'd you get it?"
>"it's fancy and an overt display of my standing in the upper-middle class, afforded to me by a well-paying, but very dull office job"

>"woah is that a fucking dodge reliant?"
>"yeah, it's been sitting in a barn at my uncle's farm for like 20 years. i finally got it roadworthy and will be taking on a cross-country road trip this summer. if it dies along the way, i'll just scrap it and take a train back home"

>"nice macbook"
>"thanks, i bought it from the apple store"

>"neat thinkpad. what's the story?"
>"thanks! a few years ago work was getting rid of a bunch of them after-lease so i took one home. added an ssd and some ram, so it's still pretty zippy. cracked the screen on my last trip, but there was a computer shop nearby that sold refurbs, and they had a spare compatible panel"

>laying down in a sauna without a towel underneath
enjoy your shingles

Congrats on caring about what randoms think about you. Some people have shit to do that isn't worrying about their public image in the 2 seconds people see them.

Do you really not know how shingles works?

Is this bait? The 13 inch macbook pro also uses ddr3 you inbred mongoloid

>better than ThinkPads, where you often have to remove the fucking keyboard (which is screwed in) just to get at all the RAM.

But that's a great design.

It's literally one screw at the back, then you can slide the keyboard out (the screw prevents the sliding action, it doesn't hold the keyboard itself) and have access to several components.
Replacing or cleaning the keyboard (+trackpad) is also one of the more common repairs, so it's really nice they made it so easy.

When you're that thicc you can't get sicc.

>But that's a great design.

>It's literally one screw at the back,
One screw and partial disassembly is better than unlatching a magnesium backplate.
This is how deluded the average ThinkFag is, take note.

>One screw and partial disassembly is better than unlatching a magnesium backplate.

I'll bet it's faster.

it doesn't matter what randoms think, but it's nice to have a story if someone chooses to start up a conversation. materialism can be more than just "i like the nice thing", it can make an item its own character in a bigger story, like a sword that slew a dragon, the cherry red convertible dr. gonzo and his attorney drove across the nevada desert, or a laptop powered by a solar panel and a marine battery while living in a cabin in the woods for 6 months

What’s the best laptop to buy right now?
Assuming no special requirements, what is the best for typing, obviously with a decent gpu and ssd.
No budget limits within reason.

Razer laptop I guess

>the absolute state of laptops
I’ve bought two razor products in my life. One was that shitty 360 controller they made with mushy buttons and sticks that died in a month. The second was a death adder which was obviously made for nonhuman hands.
It’s even worse not that gayming is mainstream and someone would probably recognize the logo.

I need a new laptop any suggestions?
I'm leaning towards a VR ready laptop because my gf said she's getting me valve index for my birthday
>inb4 Thinkpad
No

nvidia is going to announce something in 3 days apparently.
their twitter has been hyping some new laptop they're going to come out with

yea whatever this shit is going to be

twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1119586572079378433

>>t480 performs worse than t480s.
>>Thin laptops perform worse than thick laptops
except it's literally the other way, retard. T480s is slimmer yet performs better cause lenovo has no clue what they are doing. T480 is overheating garbage.

Well, enjoy your probably the shittiest screen in the market for a premium price

>that keyboard
How hard is it to find a laptop with a quality keyboard? Everyone is following apple’s retarded keyboards which is arguably worse than even a touch screen to type on.

yeah i got shingles from a sauna once. I was 22 years old. never going back to 24 hour fitness again

>spillproof/generally tough
>not overpriced
>customizable

Why not get a prettier laptop, since modern thinkpads have nothing going for them?
>premium prices, shittiest screens, awful thermalthrottling, same soldered ram, shittiest sound.
Is there ANY point of buying a modern thinkpad besides keyboard?

Gimme a pretty laptop with a top tier keyboard and I’ll buy it right now.

>not overpriced
are you for real? Thinkpads are some of the most overpriced laptops.

orly

So, all you care in a laptop is a keyboard? And you are ready to buy a premium product with a screen that is used in chink sub $500 shit (fucking asus used way better screens in their midrange 5 years ago), literally the worst sound in the market, extreme thermal throttling?
The absolute state of retards. Just buy a fucking mechanical keyboard.

Macs use ssds and you probably booted windows

Yes. Thinkpads are some of the most expensive laptops in their niches. x1e is way more expensive than competition other than Apple. x1c is way more expensive than competition. T480s is ways more expensive than asus zenbooks with better screens and specs. T480 is more expensive than any laptop with similar specs, except for apple of course.
Only dell xps matches thinkpads in price. And only apple is more expensive.

Thinkpads are shit too, but that doesn’t mean the alternatives are good either. The majority of the use of a laptop is portable typing. Which carrying an extra keyboard around with my defeats the point of. Games/videos/email are situationally useful since most of the time you’ll have access to a desktop, or you’ll be able to pull out a phone. The entire point of a laptop is that it’s a desktop you can carry with you to do utilitarian tasks and the most important part of that is typing.

So, you are a traveling writer? Or a homeless code monkey? All normal people work in offices or homes. The point of laptop is having your PC with you at all times, doesn't mean that you have to type for 6 hours in mcdonalds. Well, you sure can't work outside with those shitty dim screens that lenovo sells for premium prices to retards like you. Just have a keyboard in an office and at home.
Also, your point disregards any people who have to work with any type of image/video editing, which can't be done well on dim, >90% srgb thinkpad screens. Also, forget about sound work. Oh, yeah, forgot about gpu intensive tasks too or carry around 3kg thinkpad. Did I mention that competition today makes more powerful, LIGHTER, cheaper alternatives?

College student. If I’m working at home, I clearly have a desktop available.
I’m still waiting for your alternatives.

asus zenbooks are lighter, more powerful, have better screens and way better sound than thinkpad alternatives. And they are cheaper.
Asus vivobooks are WAY cheaper. Still have better screens, similar specs and similar weight to thinkpads.
Acers offers same specs for way lower price.
Dell xps offers better materials, WAY BETTER screens and sound, better battery life (unless you want to carry 2.5kg 14" thinkpad), better performance and same weight. Btw 4k xps15 is cheaper than FHD x1e.
Other dells also offer better screens and similar specs for lower prices.
Thinkpads are macbooks for kids who like to pose as hardcore programmers.

Thinkpads are not a meme, at all. My first thinkpad was a T420s I got in 2013, fucking beauty of a machine. Then I got a X230, still have it, a T450, T460s, and now I rock a P51. Looking to buy a X1E with this month paycheck. They're simply unbeatable machines. I also have a T43, T400, X61s, X201, X301, T510, for collection and experimentation purposes.

>X230
1366x768 IPS panel with 6-bit FRC and sub-100% sRGB. Disgusting

>And they are cheaper.
fucking lol'd

Attached: ayy.png (818x587, 79K)

this shit right here just proves that most people who defend thinkpads here are just braind dead fanatics, same as apple fags. They don't care about "function over form", they just want to post photos of their thinkpads and write how many thinkpads they had, to show how hardcore professional they are. Fucking cringe.

either that or fucking put lolicon images as their wallpaper and put anime stickers on the top and shamelessly open their laptop in public or in school, totally advertising that they drink the Jow Forums kool-aid

Looks good enough for me. I'm not a photographer. I might buy a FHD panel mod for my X230 tho, I head they're fantastic.

Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast. Do you hate on car collectors as well?

>Do you hate on car collectors as well?
Buying old, outdated cheap electronics doesn't make you like a car collector. Unless you know many car collectors who buy shit loads of used up shitboxes.
I would have no problem with thinkpad "enthusiasts" if they weren't screaming about themselves being superior "professionals" at every corner. You and hardcore applefags are the same.

WHYA RE LAPTOPS USING DDR3 WHY ARE THERE STILL NEW DEVICES COMING OUT IN 2019 WITH DDR3 REEEEEEEEE

>the sleekest laptops with the smoothest form factor

Attached: brainlet.jpg (588x823, 109K)

Mmm, dat molded plastic

Sorry senpai but im on the Huawei swag now

Plastic dampens drops, an internal magnesium frame protects the hardware.
Meanwhile aluminium is the cheapest and one of the softest metals available and gets dented up by anything.

Pulling on a pair of tabs is way faster than unscrewing anything, you moron.

>Buying old, outdated cheap electronics doesn't make you like a car collector.
You're right, it makes him a Thinkpad collector.

That molded high-quality plastic that feels great to hold in your hand, both while carrying it around and when the computer is on.
"Sleekness" is for women and basedboys.

>t.zoomer

Whatever you say,

I'll be mowing the lawn at 10AM *sips*

Attached: 1023E-family-r4d112458-1366x768.jpg (1366x768, 218K)

boomers really priding themselves in having old shit for some reason

>coworker bought one of those
>can't use an external display cause it uses (((usb-c))) and had to pay $50 for a dongle and wait one month for it to arrive from US amazon

topkek

>cant use external display

what?
it has an hdmi port on it

New mainstream (1050 replacement) GPU? I can't really see Nvidia launching their own laptop, unless it's some kind of crazy Tegra based thing.

My co-worker has one. They look "urban" to me. Jamal doesn't have to give it back, its actually his.

I have E-series E330 (circa 2013) Thinkpad (Yes, I know this is not a true ThinkPad)...
Touchpad is bad, like unironically, I couldn't tune it even in proper OS, and nipple is a meme.
It actually looks stylish. It has some aesthetics to it.
This is why I got Acer after MacBook.
>people see my Acer
>people go to drugstore to get anti bed-bug and lice shampoo

>people see my MacBook
>"oi mate are you gay, we can have some fun"

>What’s the best laptop to buy right now?
ACER
C
E
R

bought an EliteBook 17" G5 just last year... it's not slim, not light. expensive for sure tho. it's still a great workhorse.

Lenovo didn't have any 17" in stock / for sale. no regrets though.

>comparing an overpriced laptop to a legendary sword or car with special history

Because it doesn't matter how it looks. It only matters if it does its job properly. There are few laptops that manage even that, and the pretty ones often use their looks to cover up how much they suck.

used thinkpads are some of the best price to performance deals sub $200.

Latitudes are more utilitarian in every way.
ThinkPads are close second, but I only got W530 over Precision for the aesthetic.

Attached: it_photo_6079.jpg (844x675, 67K)