Is the low blue light setting on monitors a meme? Do you use it? Does blue light really give you eye cancer?

Is the low blue light setting on monitors a meme? Do you use it? Does blue light really give you eye cancer?

Attached: lbl.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU
youtube.com/watch?v=kSuVJm4TI5c
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Mims#Using_LEDs_as_narrow_band_light_sensors
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, just use f.lux or some foss alternative. Or turn down the blue in your monitor OSD - that's literally all the "low blue light" monitors do.

they don't give you eye cancer retard is just notably tiring. it's very comfy to reduce the blue light when it's dark, stings less in the eye. that's all you can delete the thread

I would if the setting was behind a simple button or something. You could probably do that pretty easily with some simple script and a keyboard shortcut but honestly I don't care that much.

lightbulb is the foss alternative. On windose 10 you don't need shit, night light is built-in.
basically all OSs can give you that feature for free, you don't need to pay extra for it coming with the monitor.
>Does blue light really give you eye cancer?
not really unless you stare at screens all day every day for 40 years or so. But it does fuck with your sleep.

>night light is built-in.
I tried turning this on, and it felt like I was inside a volcano. Just because I want low blue light doesn't mean I want extreme warm colors.

there should be a slider too you need to find it

cancer? idk bout that, but it does cause sleep disorders...
after using redshift i no longer feel active after 11:00 and fell very sleepy ( wichs is the natural, correct way )... and when i wake up i fell rested.

before redshift i would not get sleepy no matter what and would go to bed as late as possible and wake up after 12:00 and fell unrested like shit the rest of the day

it only feels like a volcano if you dont make it transition smoothly. redshift will transition smoothly during hours and by the time the sun is gone, your screen will be red and you wont notice

i recommend setting 6 to 7k during day and around 4k during night

by 11 i meant 23:00

I only use monitors with CCFLs, blue light is not an issue since the screen is orange anyway.

I have no problems with screens. Are my eyes already fucked beyond repair?

Reduced blue-light is becoming a standard feature in operating systems as it is. You don't need additional software to enable it on a schedule or whim.

It's called Night Light in Windows 10 and immediately accessible in the Action Center (Win Key+A)
And it's called Night Mode on Android, also available from the notifications tray.

from a crt manual the fucking science.

go blind led lcd fags

i still use and still hunt down crt monitors to use.
>ooh my electric
fuck off retard ooh my irreplaceable eyes. moron. let me guess you dont listen to science tho.
i cant stand them fucking things. i go somewhere and someones got one of those screens, notice i didnt mention monitor or crt tv, and i cant stand looking at one for more than 30m or maybe an hour before myhead hurts and my eyes strain and i get up.
i think the reason is they are torturing you if you watch tv or anything you can get / look at to get information with. with the pain their forcing you to watch bullshit. as you sti there in pain from looking at it.

its like people who drink gas becuase of the high.

Attached: crt_led.jpg (791x102, 52K)

Anecdotally, it's is easier on my eyes. But you don't need your monitor to set it up, just use your OS. Heck, if you're not enough of an autismo to care about location settings, OS's will usually turn the blue on and off based on what time the local sunrise and sunset are.

>didnt read my warning label from crts

No, you're actually normal.

I notice with the Blue Light setting on my Samsung S8 it's not like the other blue light apps that just turns everything red and volcanic but it feels slightly more desaturated.

Off your meds again?

pretending you know something when i posted a warning from crts based on science while you keep babbling on about your fucking leds and (((solving))) the ops question?

out of jail again? out of cocaine again?

Explain what a warning about blue characters on dark backgrounds causing strain due to low contrast has to do with lowering the color temperature during nighttime or with LED LCD displays.

you can never stop doing what the warning label on crts, on an led says to do. which is says DONT. EVER. on an led/lcd retarded screen.
monitor are not screens.

screens are not monitors i guess is what i shoujld of said
led screens, screens arent meant to be having moving things on it, just maybe changing. its called a screen. when you screen something you look at images.

movies are really called moving images for a reason. it tricks the eyes safely into looking at them
tryijg to use something that by scientific definition isnt supposed to be used for moving pictures to do so with, will cause you to go blind.

good luck gerbils

Attached: hamster_dance.gif (152x385, 225K)

the image says refrain from doing it. but your saying cope with it someway or another.

Ah you're just one of those "muh trace amounts of UV light from white LEDs is blue light pollution nevermind CRTs can potentially hit you with several orders of magnitude more energy or that having a window in the room completely eclipses both" schizo boomers.

Excess blue light is considered bad because it screws up the sleep cycles of animals and people and causes eye strain with prolonged exposure, not because you'll go blind or get cancer.

bunch of fucking keywords with no science to back it up except the usual peer reviewing religion bullshit

Says the guy twisting the meaning of a line in an old manual.

no thats you. i told you what it says and you attempted to claim the leds dont use blue

you cant use an led to show black. so it uses blue all the time.
no matter what color it is the only base color they can use is blue you have blue eat shit and you lied.
>whyd the topic die
oh i know probably because stupid retards to blind to see it

>Is the low blue light setting on monitors a meme?
Yes.
>Do you use it?
No. I use my DE's low blue light setting instead. I can activate it for all monitors on a hotkey instead of dicking with the OSD menu on each.
>Does blue light really give you eye cancer?
No. It causes eyestrain in a dark room if the backlight is too bright, and reduces melatonin production if you're staring into it at night.

>less melatonin
giving us crt computer users the bad meme of a pale white sickly computer geek/nerd
NERDS
youtube.com/watch?v=tZVdR19E5mU

Attached: nerds.jpg (320x157, 10K)

Do you have any idea, at all, of how display technologies work? No LCD technology "uses blue instead of black" and at most you can accuse CCFL backlit ones of bleeding blue light like that if you're retarded enough to run the backlight at full blast with a dark background in a pitch dark room and your LCD panel is complete garbage.

Melatonin is a sleep hormone your brain produces at night. It has nothing to do with melanin, a pigment that makes tanned or black people skin dark.

>sick
shutup faggot leds can't produce black
yes i do know how technology works when you cant produce black they use the closest thing they can think of to produce shit in teh visible spectrum
the sky is blue. becuase of the atmosphere. that is what causes teh visible spectrum.

they had to relate it to something whcih you have failed 1000x to do. you wont cause you cant becuase you keep claiming leds are legit.

LEDs leak significant blue light even when displaying black? Why does it look black to deep gray when I display black then? If you were right it would look bright blue.

leds cant do black you stupid retard
they mimic black with tricks and you go blind lose sleep whatever because of it. read crt warnings.

sry you were askin a real question and didnt know
i cant believe im being
claimed i dont nkow anything about technologies

LEDs in "LED" displays do not produce any color or typically do anything beyond providing the backlighting. The pixels are basically tinted shutters made with LCD technology and they just close them all when making black. In emissive displays like OLED they just turn all of the subpixels off, just like the electron gun in a CRT.

closeing shutters isnt shutting off the device that makes the light
fucking blue man

Read CRT warnings... for LEDs? What the fuck are you talking about.

LEDs themselves can do black. Simply don't put electricity into them and they produce a perfect black. Burned out light bulbs, sheets of paper, doorknobs, or really anything that doesn't glow will produce the same shade.
LCDs backlit with either LED or CCFL cannot produce a perfect black. How good a black depends on your screen. Run it in a darkened room to find out. It usually won't be enough to keep you awake if you shut it off before sleeping. And it certainly won't be enough to cause cancer, seeing as how visible light is non-ionizing.
What do CRTs have to do with this? The only LED in a CRT is the little light that goes off, green or orange to tell you if it's off, on or asleep. LCDs don't emit ionizing radiation like CRTs do. But staring into a CRT all day exposes you to less than eating a banana.

Actually, fancier displays do. Plus black is not a color, just the absence of light, if the "shutters" were perfect, there would simply not be any blue light, or of any other wavelength, going through.

i got an led bulb, blinked it once a few times, blew out 5 diodes. you cant blink an led or you wouldnt have them anyway you said they are shutters.

leds cant produce color by themselves so they push out the closest thing scientists can relate to were the visible spectrum comes from
the sky, or the atmosphere.
youtube.com/watch?v=kSuVJm4TI5c
so they are blue tinted to produce some colors close. tinting doesnt work. to produce the colors theyre trying to do

well, yes and no.
yes, you are correct that blue light doesn't give you "eye cancer".
no, it is much more than notably tiring--it kills your eyes through a really cool mechanism.
there's a white paper in nature, but apparently trying to post it is spam. fuck this retarded machine. just search for "Blue light excited retinal intercepts cellular signaling" Kasun Ratnayake

You can absolutely blink an LED. In fact many PC power LEDs blink constantly in standby. It just works better if your haven't bought defective ones produced with the cheapest possible processes.

yea ok sure but you'll burn out its circuit. leds cant themselves produce no electric output. its a laser.
you are a liar. this isnt what it does and we already discussed this so fuck yourself.

30 mins to eye strain lmao, ok retard. you're just disabled

>blink led on and off
doesnt do it. fuck off

whatever fuck you nigger. read but probaly cant since your blind

Attached: spooks_glow.jpg (720x304, 32K)

>yea ok sure but you'll burn out its circuit.
That all depends on the circuit. A simple blinker circuit usually doesn't wear out for a very long time.
>leds cant themselves produce no electric output.
What. LEDs never produce electric output. Are you thinking of solar panels?
>its a laser.
No, it's an LED. Or did you mean to get a laser diode? Those also switch on and off very rapidly without breaking, and fiber optic systems use that property to transmit data.
>you are a liar. this isnt what it does and we already discussed this so fuck yourself.
All you have discussed so far is gibberish and nonsense.

there is a difference between a laser and a light bulb that GLOWS.
shut the fuck up we already established ur leds dont blink to work on your led SCREENS
isnt perfect black because of this duh
absense of light your guys own words

No blue light doesn't give you cancer, it just keeps you awake.

> What. LEDs never produce electric output. Are you thinking of solar panels?
Actually, they can.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Mims#Using_LEDs_as_narrow_band_light_sensors

Yeah, screen backlights don't shut off. This would be possible but would be annoying since it would have to come on the instant you have any non black pixel. There is a technology that does close to this though - local dimming zones, multiple LEDs that can dim or shut off independently for a better black level.

And we have two possibilities here:
A. The dim amount of blue light that gets through the LCD when displaying black doesn't harm you.
B. The far higher level of blue light you see when you go outside on even an overcast day is giving everyone eye cancer and we all need to stay in mom's basement 24/7 to avoid this lethal threat.

Photodiode or photoresistor effect, not photovoltaic. It resists current dofferrntly when exposed to light. It does not generate. And either way it doesn't cause it to emit deadly invisible blue photons into darkened rooms.

>coping
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFT
eat blue and die led'ies
retards tints that arent glowing the colors cant produce a color they want so they use blue in the leds, to mimic the visible spectrum.

its only science dont let them fool you tho that your in the big boys club

Post your science or piss back off to /x/ then.

Do you actually read what you've written before posting it? Because what you said didn't make a lick of sense in the context of the post you replied to.

they cant make the color continued
they cant make the leds white cause everythign would be too white.
they cant make them green, everythign would be puke green
they cant tint a light to a certain color and get what they want.
they used a blue led to mix together and make it look like the colors you want. since blue is the to them for them to code this stupid shit the most basic color in teh visible spectrum to WHITE which is what light is referred to as. since black is the absence of light

closest to WHITE we can get, or to the SUN is higher up, and higher up the sky gets one color, blueish. it stays the color blue. since you can't see the sun, or LIGHT as we call well u know it. we relate to what ti does, lights shit up.
i was

>it's very comfy to reduce the blue light when it's dark
Or you could, you know, turn on the lights in your room for counter-balance? Only retards do anything but watch films/tv in the dark.

i have blue light filters on my glasses
my eyes never get tired anymore

i watch movies in the dark why is that so hard for you guys nowadays?
ohohoahahahah
cope
oiajoefjojaofjoij fuuuuccck. i love to read these threads and read about how you're all being tortured and pay extravagant amounts of money for lcd SCREENS, to watch a movie with

i program for periods of time ranging between 16-20 consecutive hours
if all you're doing is watching brainlet entertainment of course you don't need this shit

Do your glasses make the world, or at least your monitor, look orange? Then they're filtering blue light. No? Then it's snake oil, because orange or yellow is what you get when you remove blue from an RGB approximation of white.

You have not. Pic related regarding your "explanation".

Attached: 1497217261379.png (570x668, 247K)

retard

>Do your glasses make the world, or at least your monitor, look orange?
yep
took a little getting used to but everything is a lot more orange-y
i like it actually
makes the world look happier

says the shmuck paying extra for Goyvision™

its a laser emitting diode in led/lcd
cathode RAY tube in a crt
different but to you its the same

idiot
>but both beez lights

i just said why. whatevr faggots. i dont care i showed you now you are proved slaves. what do i care. good. leds cant produce light or glow like a lightbulb. and a crt glows a phosphorus paper. leds try to tint the light shined at it and tehy GOT TO MIX THE FUKCING SHIT AND IJSUT SHOWED YOU WHAT THEY DO AND I SHOWED YOU THE FUCKIGN WARNIGN

fuck off

*pulls off your glasses*
I guess you could say that really
*glasses*
blue his mind

Attached: hqdefault(3).jpg (480x360, 10K)

> laser
Are you mixing up screens with projectors or really just that dumb?

Also:
> CRT: use an electron gun to stimulate phosphor into emitting visible light
> White LED: use UV light to stimulate phosphor into emitting visible light
Wow how different.

>paying
you are fucking retarded just lower the blue gamma you absolute nigger

what the fuck are you talkign about im mixing up?
wow that fucking bullshit needed to be said by you for your next bullshit didnt it
your saying that the tint they talked about is phospor? phospor doesnt need to tint becuase it glows.
shut the fuck up

Attached: 1547425307345.png (723x563, 121K)

how stupid are you niggers?
>laser
led is what i said and YOU WISHED you could say a led screen used a BULB like a PROJECTOR DOES.
thats not how anything works your just mixing up shit to hide the objective that leds use a fucking laser

a bulb glows
an led is a laser beam we all know what that is
and a ray gun is a ray fucking gun, a cathode type.

eat shit nigger you cant even read and claim you have any stance to debate me

go watch an led screen and die after u fall off a cliff blind.
>im overexageratinmg
and your completely retarded so it wouldnt take being blind would it?

whyu would you talk about a laser and then bring up a screen with projector and claim im making a statement that mixes any of that shit up

you want bulbs from projectors to be associated with your LED LASER EMTITTING DIODES so your shit thats kiling people isnt outted and you can kcontinue to tortue people

>just use f.lux
USE REDSHIFT!!!!!!!reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

They're different physical processes, it's just the outcome is similar. Not entirely identical though: CRTs operate at power levels strong enough to produce not only visible, but also UV and x-ray light. Not a whole lot though, you'll get more harmful radiation exposure by eating a banana.

> white LEDs are lasers
> what are laser projectors
Some LEDs are lasers and none of those are used in backlights because a single wavelength, collimated beam would be useless for that purpose. Some of those laser diodes, however, are used to make projectors.

If I remember right CRTs emit almost no UV and the X-Rays have been well shielded off since even before computers became a product. Also, you're right on that they're different processes but I just wanted to point out they're both essentially using emitted energy to make some material glow.

It's not quite a scam but a bullshit feedback effect. Some complete crap gets popular (Blue light bad) due to something, and so products are made to fulfil that demand. The existence of low blue light products reinforces the belief that blue light is bad, even though the entire reason products exist is because there's a demand, not because they do anything useful. And so the demand increases. Surely if they keep making products that do x, x is real

Blue light activates your L retinal cells, these are hard wired to clock your circadian shit, most notably blue light cancels sleep related processes, making it hard to get a good rest. Definitely not a meme, but I don't use it, maybe I should.

Oh and don't forget the 'science' that appears after it's a thing. The scientific literature is prowled for anything that would support the idea. Anything spurious, anything with even a hint of support for it is touted as the optimal truth for the bullshit.

iddint say white leds are anything
i said LED's ARE LASERS
fucking trying to put words in my mouth since u have nothing to say. nigger

a bulb
and a laser
and a ray tube
are different technologies.

i dont remember reading anyone saying that leds made anything glow. but if they do they suck and emit blue since its not any form of natural light its a laser, not a ray and not a glowing bulb.

fuck it i dotn care i said this a thousand times u havent debunked me now go explain wtf you keep blabbering about

Please give me your definition of laser, I believe you may be misinformed about them.

its objective we all know what a laser is. and its not a bulb that burns something and glows. its not a ray, which emits rays from different spectrums
its a fucking laser. im pretty sure i know what it is. go on ahead give me yours as i can't be convinced. you can show me then i might be wrong. a laser is a in my opinion from what ive read a high intensity beam "of light".
as opposed to a glow from a fire (bulb) or a ray tube from (different spectrums)

high intensity infers its something different. give me your definition and off the bat ill know not to listen to you when you're irrational or attempt to use mathematics to explain objects

>Does blue light really give you eye cancer
being on Jow Forums already gives you all the eye cancer you'll ever want

try it at night in a dark room, use flux/windows 10 nightlight/whatever you want and you'll notice how much easier it is to look at your screen, i've noticed the higher i dial up windows 10's nightlight (the redder i make the screen) the more relaxed my eyes get at night
also easier to go to sleep afterwards, which is nice

Just go outside and have sex you incels

This, I set all my monitors to the warmest preset, then turn on Win10's nightlight. Have it set to kick on at 7:00. it is very much not a meme, even I am surprised by how long I can spend watching the screen without any eye strain.

I also wear bluetec glasses which are basically f.lux for your eyes and block specific wavelengths of blue light almost completely. The difference is massive. There is no meme here. Blue light hurts your eyes.

the sun emits blue light everyone should be blind by 20

Well first off lasers are rays. In fact one of the main properties of lasers is that they emit light in a single direction with a single or extremely narrow wavelength and phase.
The "high intensity" part comes from the fact that all of the light emitted "pushes" in the same direction and is produced very efficiently, but doesn't directly relate to its power.

Secondly LEDs aren't lasers, they don't emit photons all in the same direction or all with the same wave characteristics.
It is also a very efficient process, but the way the light is produced has a certain amount of randomness associated with it.
An analogy I can offer you is that they're like bunches of tiny spark plugs (energy gaps in a crystal) in that emit light (a photon at a time) when an energy threshold is exceeded.

Laser:
"a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of photons from excited atoms or molecules."

LEDs are not coherent and white LEDs are not monochromatic.

>puts quotes around pushes
you're spouting mathematics bullshit and quantum shit

While a LASER emits converged light, the output of an LED is highly diverged.

thats the difference they are basically the same.

the very definition between the two says nothing about the basic of how it works just a difference in how it out PUTS

its also quantum babble as you claim the word push isnt a real concept. since quantum can't explain the phenenom of push. instead you act like pushing is a concept. no its a phenomenom? that you can't explain that is real.

why does shit fall to teh ground? idiot

anyway attempting to use math to explain physics opinion discarded like i said.

It's not about eye strain, but about your circadian rhythm (your inner clock).
Humans have a built in clock that manages a lot of things (digestion, heartrate, body temperature, brain efficiency, and most importantly sleep). This clock is influenced by sunlight via the pineal gland producing melatonin when there is no sunlight (Without any change in light, the clock has a 25 hour cycle). This change in melatoning levels controls all those time-dependent processes.
Now the way the pineal gland knows that there is sunlight is by sensing whether light of a certain wavelength is hitting the retina (over the signal path retina -> suprachiasmatic nucleus -> pineal gland), and this wavelength turn out to be pretty blue. The reason for this might be that artificial light has been either candescent or incandescent for a very long time, so blue light was reserved to the sun.
The problem arises with computer monitors. Both CRTs and LCDs emit a rather blueish light, so when you're sitting at your computer after sunset, your brain is tricked into thinking that it's still day, misaligning your inner clock and real life (in pretty much the same way jetlag does). Whether this is a bad thing is up to you. If you are a NEET, who doesn't need to get up in the morning, and could care less if his day-night-cycle actually lines up with the sun, then sure, confuse the shit out of your body every day by fucking up your melatonin levels, but if you are a (((productive member of society))) lowering the blue-light output of your devices after sunset, means your circadian rhythm stays intact.
t. medfag, who should be studying this exact shit for an exam next week instad of wasting his time with you faggots

I applaud your sharing of knowledge, hope you're confident in your education, user

You're being purposefully obtuse and I have not tried to use any mathematics. If you want to disregard my attempt to put waves produced by stimulated emission and bandgaps in semiconductors into simple terms because you didn't like it, fine by me but you're completely disregarding that coherence defines the laser, not electroluminiscence. Are the light on a watch or an illuminated car dash or the display on a vending machine lasers by your definition?

based schizo

i do not care and have no use for that stupid shit to explain to me the mechanical function of something that belongs in physics, this isnt religion but thats what quantum is and that exactly why you fucking idiots have been bugging me becuase fuck you
im done with this shit you all can suck each others dicks and chokefaggots never answeres my basic shit do you why does shit fall to the ground? but you think phenomena like push is a concept with your quotes like it was a thought fuck you retarded NIGGERS
it is an object i asked you to explain your way you thought it worked and you attempted jewtrickery fuck off

Attached: homo_later.jpg (332x336, 10K)

> saying constructive interference is "waves pushing in the same direction" is jewtrickery
> asking about gravity just so you can say the same if general relativity is brought up

Attached: 1534332193709.jpg (404x521, 179K)

ur a fucking idiot i have argued all night with you morons who have not answered 1 thing asked of you to explain, insted u give descriptions, LIKE YOU JUST DID.
thats not an answer. constructive isnt a property its an adverb, your using math attempting to explain how mechanical thign thats are happening work, your attempting to do quantum or religion.

constructive isnt how something works. its a description of a verb. you retaded fucking nigger, you gave no explanation at all only gave a description. i asked how and i told you faggots your discarded and im out just had to pwn you as you always attempt to fool the peons. i just make it in simple to understand,... so everyone can understand.

keep talking your bullshit noone cares, and i dont have to either.