Why in the fuck do computers still have moving parts...

Why in the fuck do computers still have moving parts? We have the tech to make fully functional computers that don't require ANY moving parts the norm, yet your standard PC still is as full of fans as a football stadium. Moving parts fucking suck. They're noisy and they break. And fans just suck dust into your system. The options for fanless PCs on the market are insanely expensive and have severely limited functionality. WHY??

Attached: blech.jpg (3648x2736, 2.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>They're noisy
Get bigger and slower fans
>and they break
Literally pay more than $3 for one and it will last several years
>And fans just suck dust into your system
Have your systems internal pressure higher than external
>The options for fanless PCs on the market are insanely expensive and have severely limited functionality. WHY??
Because functionality costs electricity which in turn produces heat which cant be dissipated adequately withouth moving parts

>have severely limited functionality
Haven't you answered your questions?

A fanless solution means a big chunk of metal, taking space and being heavy as fuck while being more restrictive as to where can you put it.

I get it that you'd like that, but most people don't, therefore there's no market for it, and if there's no market you can only expect small production runs for hobbyists and enthusiasts such as yourself. And that means limited choice and high prices.

>WHY??
Physics.

>Have your systems internal pressure higher than external
How is it going to have flow-through, dipshit?

>Because functionality costs electricity which in turn produces heat which cant be dissipated adequately withouth moving parts
Of course it can. The universe has been doing just that for literally billions of years.

I find it very strange. TVs, phones and all that dont need fans. Is it not possible to build pcs with solutions that dont need them? Odd indeed.

>Haven't you answered your questions?
That was a comment about the current market, not the potential of such a device.

Lies.

This right here. Every single smartphone on Earth proves that this line of reasoning that "it can't be done" is fucking retarded. Every single fucking person on the planet has a worthless smartphone and nobody ever questions why they don't have fans. it's fucking amazing. The worst smartphone is more powerful than a PC 25 years ago.

Buy noctua you faggot!

>This right here. Every single smartphone on Earth proves that this line of reasoning that "it can't be done" is fucking retarded
Are YOU actually retarded? Noone's stopping you from building a PC based on some low-power ARM board. You can be fanless all you want with it but enjoy your daily driving experience.

Moving parts introduce weakness to a system. This is a basic fact.

I've thought about why heat sinks aren't supplemented by thermoelectric cooling.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect
Probably not effective enough to be viable, but an interesting idea nonetheless.
A huge aluminum heatsinks is bulky & does not jive with smaller is better popular mentality of tech rn.

>Every single smartphone on Earth proves that this line of reasoning that "it can't be done" is fucking retarded.
You're right, every single engineer that took a jab at this problem and came to the conclusion that a contemporary desktop needs fans was wrong. You thought about this for 5 minutes, found the secret solution to this enigma and posted it on Jow Forums.

>suck dust into your system.
And there is the reason why you have dust in your computer.
You'll have to figure out yourself why you have it, and I'm gonna say you don't have to have it even when using fans, and now it's not about using or not using filters.

Don't get smug, faggot. LCD screens are fucking trash compared to CRT, yet good luck finding a new CRT monitor. The best choice is not necessarily the one that comes to dominate. LCDs, being made of literal garbage, cost less to produce, but can be sold for exactly the same price as CRT because they're a necessary good in many applications. It's literally a monopoly on one type of monitor. People have no choice, despite it being the inferior option.

>Probably not effective enough to be viable, but an interesting idea nonetheless.
It's not that. The heat does not magically disappear and you still need to do something with it. Thermolectric effect requires both heat and cold, and to maintain the cold element you still need to use other means of colling.

are you actually braindead? thermal energy is literally moving molecules. if things werent constantly moving everything would be absolutely cold
>flow-through
you clearly have no clue what you're talking about

>why does a lowpower cpu not generate enough heat to require fans guise?? my fruitphone only gets to 100C sometimes!!!

What are you doing, just recirculating the air inside your PC, you retard? I know how fucking thermal energy works, asshole. Make computer components more resilient if you have to and let the fucking thing become a second heater for all I care. Humans are lazy as shit and under capitalism do just the bare minimum required to make money. That's why this is even an issue.

i think its time for you to buy a rope

So I can hang you with it?

>circulating the air inside your pc
>retard actually doesnt know what air does
let me put this in retard speak
if there is air bottled up, and you open that bottle, where does that air want to go? stay inside of the bottle where the pressure is higher, or outside where the pressure is lower?
stupid commie fuck

>positive air pressure means there isn't airflow
I'm so sick of this fucking meme.

Attached: 1525068569418.jpg (640x743, 76K)

Why don't you just fucking pump out all the air from your PC and make it radiate the head efficiently into the vaccuum? All the air is just sitting in the way of heat radiation, isn't it?

Love when the simulation bugs and we get someone who doesn't know a damn thing calling others "dipshit" because they think they know a thing.

>>the universe has been doing that for literally billions of years
>pretty much everything in the universe is dynamic("moves")

This doesn't make any fucking sense. You can't GET cooler air from anywhere OTHER THAN OUTSIDE the fucking PC. It by definition has to come from outside and be sucked into the machine. Then that air is passed over the parts to cool them and rejected out another opening. Now I know god damned well there is no fucking way this arguable, yet, here we are.

Well, vacuums are insulative, and most heat is conducted via radiation anyway. So it kind of doesn't matter much. It's the air FLOW in fan-driven cooling that's cooling the parts because external air molecules are absorbing photonic radiation and then exiting the system. You still need to channel the heat via heat-conductive materials to the surface in passive cooling.

>It's not that. The heat does not magically disappear and you still need to do something with it.
There are passive t/e elements too, the power can be dumped into a load away from the cpu or straight back into the system.
>Thermolectric effect requires both heat and cold, and to maintain the cold element you still need to use other means of colling.
That's why said 'in conjunction with a heatsink' to provide a differential in temperature.

its time to stop posting

>Why in the fuck do computers still have moving parts?
Because it is cheaper, and some mechanical parts are even more reliable, than semiconductors.
I'm not even speaking about SSDs. Take a look into any modern elevator (or lift). You will find mechanical contractors there. You might say, why they put it there, it has VVVF drive... They put it there in case VVVF glitches and cabin starts flying uncontrollably, they will break the circuit and motor will stop.
>We have the tech to make fully functional computers that don't require ANY moving parts the norm, yet your standard PC still is as full of fans as a football stadium.
That is $400 in copper or aluminium and machining. With fan you convert that chunk of copper into $1 piece of copper + $5 fan.
> The options for fanless PCs on the market are insanely expensive and have severely limited functionality. WHY??
See above.

>Passive cooling doesn't exist in the cosmos
Unbelievably stupid.

i know man *bong rip* like why computers have to have all them wires dude like make it wifi

>A huge aluminum heatsinks is bulky & does not jive with smaller is better popular mentality of tech rn.
thank god heat sinks are saving the industry

>Let's improve things somewhat
>but what about muh status quo zombie feefees doe?

Thats good

THIS IS A BAIT THREAD

The iMac DV from 2000. Completely passively cooled, not a single moving part in it except for the optical drive and the hard drive. Guess what? These fuckers run hot as all hell because they need the heat to create convection for airflow. Result? The analog board/PSU in them kills capacitors like a motherfucker. I can't even begin to imagine the issues such amount of heat would create in a modern RoHS-compliant machine.

Attached: IMG_20190115_165606.jpg (2560x1920, 2.21M)

>Then that air is passed over the parts to cool them and rejected out another opening
And what specifically about positive air pressure prevents this from happening? Oh yeah, NOTHING.
>Have 3 intakes at the front of case
>Have 1 exhaust at rear
>Warm air is exhausted by the exhaust and is also forced out of every other opening by the air pressure

Attached: 1506191540629.jpg (1200x740, 63K)

So improve the design.

>NOOOOOOOO IMPROVEMENT BAD ONLY DO WHAT IS COMMONLY ACCEPTED IN THE MAINSTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAM!!!

because the last time you could run a high end gpu on passive cooling was the 9700 pro.

Attached: 51KR85peMvL._SX425_.jpg (425x359, 26K)

Because it's irrelevant. If you're taking air from outside your PC and passing it over the guts of your computer, you're still putting dust in your PC.

>Have 3 intakes at the front of case
>Have 1 exhaust at rear
>Warm air is exhausted by the exhaust and is also forced out of every other opening by the air pressure
I mean, if the flow's angles are set up perfectly, I guess, but there will always be somewhere dust is accumulating.

maybe because we need computers more powerful than phones

you're free to just use a nuc or a compute stick or make a crazy passively cooled build if you want

>So improve the design.
I don't think you understand.
You NEED an extremely high (for computer components anyway) temperature differential to cause any significant amount of airflow. No matter how much you "improve" your design, you're not going to change the laws of Physics. The only reason why the iMac DV can be passive at all is the fact that the picture tube needs to run hot, and so the upper portion of the machine creates the airflow for the lower one, where the computer resides.

No you don't. Faggot game and video devs just keep pushing for more power because "New and Improved" pushes more product. CGI in movies is no better than it was in the 90s and digital video is actually worse than physical media. LCD is worse than CRT. MOST technology today is worse than it was 20 years ago in many respects. People are just bloating software to fill up space now.

If all three intakes are filtered the dust will be minimal, and even so, just blow it all out with an air compressor once a year and it'll be fine.
I just don't understand why you think dust is a big deal. It's largely mitigated with a modicum of effort and a little bit of thought.

As an HVAC/R guy, you shock me with your stupidity. Go take a class in HVAC/R and you can understand why.

Why computers don't have refrigeration cooling system? I think 12V compressors do exist...

>static objects dont collect dust

Because laws of physics.

>Everything was better in the 90s
Zoomer detected. While new technologies often do have downsides and shortcomings compared to older things, they're better overall and that's why they take off in the first place. By all means, go back to watching VHS on CRTs if you want to.
>CGI is no better than it was in the 90s
Fucking kek

Attached: brainlet 3.png (645x729, 32K)

Yeah, sure, if they're filtered you'll dramatically REDUCE the dust in your machine, but that's still a fuckton of loud ass moving parts that can fail without warning and burn out components. No thanks. Why do this? It's the lazy route in designing PCs.

That's something I've always wondered too, but frankly, that would be even louder with even more moving parts.

Today I learned smartphones are literal sorcery.

>That's something I've always wondered too, but frankly, that would be even louder with even more moving parts.
But imagine the sound of compressor kicking in...
It existed, actually.

its time to go back

Got one :)

Lol it's so easy to trigger nuchan.

>Get bigger and slower fans
still makes noise

Because that is a constraint on performance and performance in many situations trumps quietness/moving parts. There's not a lot of reasons for genuine non-moving parts computers in the industrial field other than space/aeronautics and even then, it's really not the main concern of electronics going up into space, where instead environmental hazards like radiation and heat stress trumps concerns over mechanical cycles of a part lasting or whatnot.

>I just don't understand why you think dust is a big deal
So you admit that was a lie and dusty air still comes inside the case regardless of the pressure differential. How's that not the end of the discussion? There's no point in moving the goalpost at this point.

Attached: 1463177575871.png (1728x1080, 2.22M)

>why don't we use industrial lasers to write on paper

Who fucking writes on paper?

>Why don't we use industrial lasers to write on disc...
Oh wait.

Why the fuck would I care about some fan noise my fucking AC and my mother are way louder than that.

>dust can magically get inside a sealed case

zoomers are annoying

You set yourself up. Don't try to call someone who's not a zoomer a zoomer to make up for it.

Noctuas last forever

Still a noise-making fan. Get that shit out of my face.

>Why can't we defeat the very basics of thermodynamics?
A. Don't buy shit tier fans
B. Dust out your fucking PC
C. Get a case with filters.
All done. No more problems. Stop looking for a stupidly expensive solution for a small problem.

>Why can't we defeat the very basics of thermodynamics
1. Because you're stupid.

It's almost like TV and smartphones are made of low performance parts that don't use a lot of power, and therefore don't create much heat.

Awesome response. Basically a "no u". Do you also complain that cars are liquid cooled and require pumps.

Cars are overpriced trash too. And new cars are INFINITELY worse than older ones.

>I'm poor and can't afford nice things
Got it. Thread's over. Enjoy being a retarded poorfag angry at everyone and everything that he can't have.

>WHY??
More power consumption means better performance. More power consumption also translates directly into more heat, which has to be moved quickly away from the component generating it. You can have passive cooling, but for the same cooler surface area it will be MUCH, MUCH better with airflow from a fan, because the heat can be removed much quicker.

High performance desktop computers can generate quite a lot of heat and as such an effective and efficient way of cooling them is required. The most simple and straightforward way of doing that requires fans. You could cool it with fuckhuge, passive radiators, but the 'fuckhuge radiator' approach has several pretty significant disadvantages
>it's fuckhuge
>it's heavy
>getting the heat from the component (CPU/GPU) to the fuckhuge radiator which is pretty far away is a problem (long as fuck heatpipes aren't amazing and heatpipes aren't very flexible in order to accommodate different form factors)
>it lacks flexibility, what if you want 2 graphics cards, or a graphics card with 2 GPUs? You can't easily hook them up to your fuckhuge radiator without some moving parts somewhere
>it will have very significant thermal inertia, which means once hot it will take a very long time to cool down
Moving parts just make cooling both more effective and much smaller. It's not practical to cool anything which uses a lot of power without moving parts, the drawbacks are so severe that it's essentially just a gimmick most people would not want. You can get very quiet or basically inaudible cooling with fans too.

>I'm poor and can't afford nice things
That's pretty unrelated to passive cooling in PCs.

TVs and smartphones either:
>use much slower parts which use much less power
or
>have the heat generation spread out over a large area (think TV backlights)

>Why in the fuck do computers still have moving parts?
Because building a computer with purely passive cooling would make it twice as big, twice as expensive, and/or twice as slow

Thermodynamics.

>Have your systems internal pressure higher than external
Which is a worthless thing to do if you don't have mesh screens and filters to keep dust out.

Who cares
It's a fucking fan, how triggered are you

>not a single moving part in it except all the moving parts in it
yikes

>WHY??
cost. it's cheaper to use fans to cool the system than it would be to add additional materials such as copper and aluminum + the engineering involved to make a fully passively cooled PC. you will also limit the kind of performance the hardware is capable of going for a passively cooled solution. if you really want a passively cooled PC you can do it, just go for parts that all have low power draw and remove all the fans.

>buy passive cooled budget graphic cards
>after 4 years the fatality is twice as much as the fan-cooled equivalent
Seriously don't fall for the passive meme, unless the hardware only produces negligible heat.

It means the only path to air intake is filtered mouth breather

Or do like applel where you have small noise and constant temp throttle.
Or just use a kid Chromebook with arm cpu

>here's your gpu bro

Attached: BR_Powercolor_hd6850_scs3.jpg (600x540, 142K)

>muh dust
use dust filter morons and buy a 30 dollar air tank.
much cheaper than 5 dollar damn bottles of co2 blowing cans fuck that shit and takes 2 of them. ive literally saved probably well, 60-70 bucks in 2 years.

and explain how the sun moves if everything moves

Brainlet answer.

The answer is due to a balance of engineering challenge and cost challenge. Physics provides us with the tools to have solid-state components for computer parts, but engineering them makes it difficult.

Attached: 1255039729395.jpg (963x692, 63K)

just get a fucking fanless, faggot.

Attached: file.png (500x500, 364K)

This, pretty much.
You can just replace the hard drive with a modern SSD, and completely remove the optical drive because who the fuck uses optical media in 2019. There, a computer without a single moving part.

he cant afford a 3 dollar more expensive fan
>laughingwhores.jpg
unrelated to topic

Attached: laughing_whores.png (560x500, 463K)

Attached: 1554612424906.png (686x955, 420K)

Attached: 1554612892519.jpg (800x800, 292K)

Modern ARM can deliver decent performance without fans.
> pic related
With that said, if you want high end performance, you want a hot x86 CPU and a hot GPU.

Attached: ipad.jpg (592x444, 54K)

Nice bait

Why would you assume the air is at a higher pressure because it's in a bottle, brainlet?

Sorry dude you're arguing on Jow Forums here. You can't expect these people to have two braincells to rub together, let alone expect them to understand the context of a discussion

Jesus fuck. Neck yourself retard. GTFO my technology board you inbred mong

ill explain it in stupid speak for these retards
ever got shocked by a cable coaxial cable before? hot right?

>>ever got shocked by a cable coaxial cable before
....no...

yea well it hurts pretty badly. guess what is in that coaxial cable if you have any brain.
>whys the fucking tv not hot and not have a fan like a computer i dont want fans in computers wahh
guess whats inside the computer that isnt in a tv.

> guess what is in that coaxial cable if you have any brain.
A wire, a dialectic, and shielding.