Linux is better for programming!

>Linux is better for programming!
How is that even remotely true when it doesn't have Visual Studio?

Attached: 1541204906307.png (211x239, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shut up faggot

>I have no argument: The Post

not a debate club, dweeb.

wtf is this post

>he doesn't program using notepad++
lel what a pleb

>retard
>wojak poster
everytime

good arguments

you're probably a cs graduate who thinks he's hot shit but doesn't actually know anything about computers in any way and has no work experience because you're under the impression that you'll just get hired on the spot anyway

CLion is better.

But it does user

Visual Studio Code

I use it daily

It has GNU Emacs, the rest is noise.

>Built in compiler and non-retarded shared libraries/dynamic linking
>can literally fire up almost any distro and program in C/C++ and compile it on the spot
>entire OS is a dev environment with zero setup required
>still has every IDE anyway including VS Code

meanwhile on Windows
>have to download several GB bloated proprietary IDE to even have a development environment
>suicide inducing library system
>>>>>Windows API

If you have to ask about the validity of any of this you're just outing yourself as someone who has never actually programmed outside of your shitty CS courses

Attached: 1535405938453.png (320x287, 107K)

Okay, dude, but at least Based Windows 7 Ultimate can play games.

>sudo apt install wine
>wine notepad++setup.exe
>wine notepad++ /home/user/Projects/fizzbuzz/fizzbuzz.py

Attached: 1551998982342.jpg (250x250, 24K)

Linux has a billion IDEs and none of them are the bloated piece of shit that is Visual Studio. We have a stripped down editor of it, Visual Studio Code, but if you really want to do serious coding work in anything but C# and TypeScript, and you use Visual Studio, you're a brainlet.

coding is for monkeys

notepadqq is better

visual studio is better tho

>visual studio
No one actually likes that garbage.

any good alternative to visual studio?
something that allows me to debug as easily and add breaking points?

Attached: 6efa12df4fd0e5dadb43fa5cb49cd709 (1).jpg (500x600, 48K)

vim and gdb, faggot

Xcode

Qt Creator

Install steam on linux. activate the checkbox for proton. Install windows games from steam. play games.
Now fuck off retard.

I use Visual Studio at work and it's shit. It's slow, it's bloated, the editor component is not as good as Sublime Text, Vim, or VS Code, and the list of good languages that Visual Studio is actually a good IDE for basically starts and ends with C#. Once you've written C or C++ on Linux, where you can just use your package manager to install libraries, you can't go back to Windows and Visual Studio, where installing each new library is a huge pain in the ass. Seriously, unless you're a huge company who can afford to reinvent the wheel in-house, every non-trivial C++ project will rely on a few open source libraries and the experience of using and updating C++ libraries in VS is fucking terrible.

And don't get me started on using languages like Python, Ruby or Node.js on Windows, where half the libraries that rely on native code modules straight up won't build on Windows or require ancient versions of MSVC. Even Microsoft know how bad the programming situation is on Windows, which is why they made WSL.

Absofuckinglutely based

vim

>post an inflammatory question goading debate
>L M A O I wasn't looking to debate it guys
This is you.

yay -S visual-studio-code

MONADS AND RUST GUYS LOOK AT ME IM USING THESE WORDS HAHAH LOL US GUYS WITH A LOT OF PROGRAMING EXPERIENCE

Attached: 1533372767413.jpg (1105x738, 101K)

It does have vscode idiot.

Mission acomplished. We got em.

Yeah baby I sure do love me some 5FPS action. Based wine.

VS is for enterprise development, retard. And it comes with a bunch of windows baggage with it too

Not vs

vscode is just some text editor with 1/50th the features.

No on uses visual Studio anymore.

>Linux has a billion IDEs and none of them are as good as VS on Windows

Sounds familiar...

Windows API is good.

>visual studio

Attached: 1555824633398.png (211x239, 6K)

macOS wins again

>visual studio

Attached: visual studio.jpg (1702x1204, 301K)

Ive noticed that proprietary software love to place every available item,menu,selection box ect. on the main screen to look busy.
I find it funny.
Another example is 3ds Max lol

Fuck off and die newfag

I bet at the same time you faggots have riced your emacs and vim

yeah but at least that's usable

If you only you could customize the layout to your heart's content... oh wait you can and you had to customize it to make it look that bad to begin with.

The point is that none of them are good as VS, and it's true. VS puts every GNU/Linux development environment to shame. I tend to stick to lighter weight alternatives as I find that VS tries to be smart sometimes and just gets in the way, but gdb is a toy compared to what VS provides.

>code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux
??

Attached: 9a354a488a59cc55ef3da35611b20493d8b3b0bf956023baaeec86b801f38428.png (128x128, 1K)

> emacs and vim
> usable

Attached: 1299827572337.jpg (4688x4688, 716K)

Just use nano

Same shit

>code

When I was in college we had to make some shitty c program for doing shit with sockets.
We were given the choice of making it for windows or linux. Not a single person went with windows.

Unless your computer is really old as in it predates wine, you're getting just a bit of frame rate drop on nvidia and a frame rate boost on AMD because the open source drivers are better than the official shit by a mile.

Sounds like you need notepad++.

>C++
>on windows
There's your problem. Microsoft has been shitting on its C++ users profusely for years and only throws them a few fixes or features when they lose a few more to Python or web. I have a similar problem of having a billion lines of windows/C++ and business users with no interest in moving to a sensible technology stack. Either go full C# or bury the C++ in a proper linux backend + web front.

Visual Studio itself isn't bad for what it is. If you're demanding it behave like its *nix counterparts, of course you're going to have a bad time. The debugging tools are still damn good and work out of the box.

Which Linux IDEs actually work out of the box? Most of the ones I've tried require you tape all the important parts together before it will be more than a lousy text editor with intellisense knockoff.

Attached: 1429284779965.jpg (328x328, 50K)

I use VSCode on ganu += loonix to make ASP.NET Core websites. it just werks.

Got any tutorials or books?

The docs are perfectly sufficient in my opinion. the reason I won't recommend any books or tutorials is that it's a relatively new framework and it's still being developed. A lot of changes happen in a short time, so books and tutorials will be out of date within a few weeks/months. Plus, it's open source so if something is behaving strangely you can just take a look at the source code.

Unless you are producing Enterprise tier software, a text editor and a compiler is all you need.

Unless the story has changed since I last used visual studio, visual studio is an extremely expensive product that basically only helps you if you do c++ development for windows. I've seen what happens win someone took a msvc project and then deployed it to an ARM device. Literally wtf tier cancer.

Community edition is free

Netbeans

lol

>Netbeans
Satan's choice(tm)

>visual studio
It has VS code if you want bloated microsoft cancer.

Attached: soywojak.png (205x246, 6K)

fucking based