Well it took a while but I finally decided to leave Debian and install Arch, what am I in for?

Well it took a while but I finally decided to leave Debian and install Arch, what am I in for?

Attached: IMG_20190421_213809.jpg (3264x2448, 1.22M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12192&p=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Recent software but frequent breakage and more maintenance. No more no less.

road down customization lane, which is a long one. and after that a comfy low maintenance system. dont forget to create a dotfiles repo, back that shit up.

>frequent breakage
false

You're in for a much better package manager, but a somewhat more fragile system (especially if you were using stable/sid). Arch also has the AUR so you have access to more programs and utilities than Debian.

And when you're done jerking off to your riced desktop and neofetch you can install debian again

It depends, if you read carefully the Arch news and take some precautions you will rarely have breakage but compared to Debian it's really frequent to have to manually fix something.

I'ma dump some anti Arch copypastas even though I like Arch

I hate Arch. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:
Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Ubuntu. Ubuntu basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Unity, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Ubuntu has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.
Arch on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from compiling binaries manually. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @arch email addresses in upstream changelogs.
So tell me again, how exactly does Arch innovate? They even struggle to release a new, even somehow more broken version of pacman with each release, and being a hipster is about the only original thing in Arch.
Yes, Arch is unstable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Arch users. They seem to think Arch makes them a super elite secret hacker straight out of the Matrix. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Arch support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums, wiki) are much less helpful than the alternative.
If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or Ubuntu. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the hipster magnet that is Arch!

Arch Linux - A GNU/Linux distro for insecure teenagers who desperately need to prove to themselves that they're l33t. Arch users (archtards) are firm believers in The Archtard Way, which dictates that editing configuration files by force is the path to l33tness (see gentoo), even if all they're doing is directly following instructions from the Arch wiki.

Having installed Arch, one of the first rites of passage for the Archtard is to visit the Ubuntu forums and irc channels. Archtards love Ubuntu, because it's one of the few communities where they feel they can assert their l33tness without being laughed at. They like to offer insightlful solutions such as "u should install arch if u really want to learn linux", or to point out how n00b the Ubuntu distro is, even though they were using Ubuntu last week.
(clueless ubuntu user) how do i add myself to the plugdev group?
(ex-ubuntu user, now archtard) dude, I don't know, you should install arch linux.

Archtard quandary:
(archtard) Can u suggest any services I can disable to optimizize my system some more? I want to get rid of some bloatware so KDE runs faster.

Typical conversation between archtards:
(archtard #1) fluxbox > gnome
(archtard #2) fvwm > fluxbox
... and so on.

Stop wasting your time and changing software for the sake of change. You're using the most productive time of your life to configure a stupid computer?

Don't waste more than one hour a day on these useless hobbies. Read a book, go outside, improve yourself, not your computer.

>AUR

Correctly pronounced "AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!", the AUR is a steaming, festering shitheap of a security hole and a pile of shit. The AUR is the perfect example of everything that's wrong with Arch users.

pasta-aur

So the other day I was walking down the hall at my middle school and I saw some loser casual using ubuntu. I didn't know this kid, so I automatically assumed that he doesn't know shit about linux. As we all know, it's WRONG for people to enjoy and use linux, ESPECIALLY if they don't know how it works.

I ran up to him and just instantly started attacking him entirely based on his n00b distro choice. "U MAD THAT U SUK CANONICALS DICK EVERY 6 MONTHS? HOW'S UNITY FAGGOT?" He responded: "Ha, unity sucks, I changed that months ago." Everyone knows that you can't change unity no matter what you do, so I sat him down and educated him on how he was still wrong for getting the same shit that took me took hours and days to set up, but in 15 minutes and with no work or education required.

I mean, what a fucking little kid, right? He didn't know shit about how linux ACTUALLY WORKS, and just installed a bloated, non-minimal distro like a complete tool. After he walked away with his friends, he probably fucked off back to his bullshit job.

I encourage all of you to do the same. STOP letting people use and enjoy linux. It's not about replacing windows, it's about pretending to be a skid. We all know we're superior for using hardc0re distros. Keep linux as our own secret club so we can pretend that we're better, and DON'T let it be a free, general purpose OS that everyone can use.

didnt you read what I said?
>comfy low maintenance system
Im not switching because Arch in a just werks distro, anyone saying Arch breaks often/is high maintenance is somebody that never used it.

lol @ debian, its only slightly less noobier than ubuntu, fucking hipsters ruining linux, wow what a baby, apt is 4 losers who dont have 2+ weeks to set up everything by hand and then get a superior system also the packages are ANCIENT, 4 days old almost, and they actually are stable and work. fuk that shit, it brings linux to the masses and makes it easy when we all know its supposed to be about pretending to be neo. debian is 4 hipsters who think ubuntu is 2 mainstream, they just use linux because they think it makes them look cool to their retarded friends, not like us at all, we are REAL hackers, fuck debian hipsters, fuck n00buntu newbs, arch 4 life!

>grandpa calls up, computer is fucked
>he drops it off
>10,000 toolbars
>reformat
>install ArchLinux
>compile everything from source
>get superior rolling release minimal system
>force all daemons and proessces, x windows, etc required to be manually started (like they SHOULD BE)
>return laptop in now working condition
>he calls up
>WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT WHAT DID U DO TO MY COMPUTER FUK U KID
Fucking old people, just die already.

pasta-arch, pasta-family, pasta-hipster, pasta-support, pasta-archgrandpaedit

Being an Arch Linux user it feels good to know I'm just like the LISP hackers, our forefathers of computing, and that this experienced was gained and maintained through my own perseverance. Sure it'll have a few hours of system instability each day just to pull up my e-mail but, you know, it's all totally worth it. It's something that only I and a handful of others know how to do making us much more valuable than the numerous sheeple and plebians of distributions not worthy of mention. Sadly my story will not be told, my history will not be recorded, for I am an Arch Linux user.. a hacker who's destiny is a lonely one, because it's the secrecy that makes us worth while.

It lives up to its minimalist nature, my user's home had no Documents, Downloads, etc. folders.

Ricing is unironically why I got into Linux, tweaking and changing stuff to how you like them is a lot of fun.

I can't help it its my autism.

Last nights Arch thread truly proved the utter greatness of The One OS - Arch Linux.

There is one thing that has been bugging my mind for a while -- how does Nubuntu users actually find value in their shitty distro?

Let me tell you one thing; just because of a kernel panic every now and then simply proves the elegance and simplicity of Arch. I'm the omnipotent ruler of my own computer -- thus I assert the ability to scrutinize every detail known to /root.

Windownsers, can you do this? Heck, do you even comprehend the paragraph above? The technical detail is probably too advanced for Nubuntus, Windownsers, Minters and Mac SOXers.

This thread is once again dedicated to the true wonders hidden for those who actually inherit the wonderful personality trait to gain and have control over what they use -- in contrast to any other computer user. Repugnance, even a strong sense of repugnance is condemned on those who don't have a reason to

not

use

Arch.

>at a party
>girl says she's a nerd
>ask her what OS does she use
>"I use Arch ganoo plus leenocks OS, since it's an advanced distribution that let's you have a minimal environment while following the Arch Way™, also it's pretty underground and dark as my soul, basically it's debian unstable with a shitty package manager that fucks everything all the time, no run levels, 50 packages in the repository that are never tested and an user repository full of old unmantained packages that can and will break your system. it's pretty obscure, I'm sure you never heard of it"
>I notice something on her neck
>pull it
>it's a mask
>she's not a girl
>he's a neckbeard
>he cries and a piece of birthday cake falls from his pocket
>he runs away but his cape gets stuck in the door
>he trips and breaks his skull on the doorstep
>an ambulance arrives
>bears come out of the ambulance
>they eat everyone in the party
>i'm on fire cause the computer at the party's house had a fermi
>I get on my car
>my car runs on an AMD gpu
>the car never moves cause it has no driver
>I wake up
>my penis is hard

Oh, it's not like I'm the ONLY glorious Arch Linux™ user in this thread! There are quite a few of us here. You can tell because we have an awesome ASCII logo in our terminal during screenshots! But that's not all we use the terminal for - we all know it's a very powerful tool, so sometimes we use it to edit /etc/rc.conf in nano, or even for package management! Keeping terminal windows open during screenshots is very important. It reminds the viewer that we know what we're doing. Which should be a given, because after all, we use Arch Linux™!

>dude you're logged in as root
>ITS CONVENIENT
>you have everything stored under fucking /root. you don't have a /home partition, you have a separate fucking /root partition.
>SO? IT'S CONVENIENT.
>why do you have a 300mb folder full of colortest scripts
>I NEED THEM TO PICK COLOR SCHEMES
>that doesn't even
>SHUT THE FUCK UP DEBIAN HIPSTER
>I JUST KNOW HOW LINUX WORKS OKAY HATERS GONNA HATE
>but that's
>OH LOOK AT THE STUCK UP HIPSTER THAT THINKS THERE'S A ``RIGHT'' WAY TO USE LINUX
>GTFO
>okay bye
>TOLD THAT FAGGOT
># startx
>>X is broken lol
# LS - A
>>zsh: LS: command not found
>FUCK

Arch linux™

Top 5 reasons why Arch Linux sucks:

1) Lead arch developer got his computer hacked 3 times. see: bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12192&p=1
2) Unstable. Go check out arch's forum instead of listening to the fanboy to see the enormous amounts of issues.
3) Unprofessional. Arch isn't used in any professional environment for a good reason. Made by amateurs.
4) Community. Pretentious, trendy, ricer, hippie morons.
5) Forum. Full of noob questions (can't help it as majority is ex-ubuntu users) and have you signed up a account and saw the off-topic section? They closed it to non-members for a reason. They try so hard acting like a /b/tard. (real example: "i'm 12 and what is this," troll face, /b/ images, etc.

I've been a GNU/Linux user for a bit over a year now, I think. Started out with Ubuntu 10.04 dual booted with Windows, then completely ditched Microsoft in favor of the better operating system some when in January. A bit later, after getting bugged by a good friend and fellow hacker on IRC for a while, I finally set out to install Arch, and got hooked.
Arch Linux can, in my experience, best be described as a journey. A journey to the top of a mountain. It starts steep, sometimes gets hazardous, and I fell down more then once and had to start climbing from the start. But with every time, it became easier as I got to know the mountain, and set out with new knowledge about the steps and stones, as they were aligned perfectly for climbing once you knew how to climb them.
Then finally, I reached the first peak - a custom, running and stable install - and just as you might hold your breath at the sight presented to you when you look down from the top of the mountain you just climbed, I felt kind of serene - I learned so much about my system during the installation, how it worked and how elegantly simple it was once you understood it's philosophy, it was overwhelming.
I knew I arrived at a place where I wanted to stay. Or rather, a place from where I could climb even higher mountains - because the Arch journey is probably never at its end. There's always something more to learn about the system - my system. Something to tweak, somewhere to hack around or some configuration to customize for my needs.
I won't say I'll stay with it forever, as in the world of GNU/Linux, one might always discover something new. I will say, however, that installing (and subsequently running) Arch was (and still is) one of the best and most rewarding things I've done in my life.
To anyone who is interested in learning new stuff and doing things on his or her own, I warmly recommend trying out Arch. You shall not be disappointed.

>I accomplish nothing debian and gentoo haven't already done. There is nothing special about me except for a horrible document detailing how hipster and elitist my userbase is and a ricey looking logo, and the fact that I'm a true rolling release binary based distribution and a major bugfest with poorly maintained repositories. Which distro am I?

There are so many steps involved in tweaking the last uumph out of your linux system- and it really is a work of art to pull it off- I have used many different kernels and all sorts of optimization combinations-yesterday I finally used -noatime and -notail for my reiserfs file system: The single biggest performance boost I have yet to see-now I can have gnome2.2 running using gnome-terminal to compile the latest j2sdk from source (nice -n 19)while browsing with mozilla while running e17 in a seperate login with two eterms and run Unreal Tournament at full speed (this with an apache webserver running for my dyndns pseudo-domain and a mysql for my answering-machine software for my isdn card-which keeps track of all incoming phonecalls and manages my telephone book app and ntfsd/sshd/dhcp server/squid)

WOW YESTERDAY I CAME HERE TO ASK ABOUT USING LINUX, OH GOD I ACTUALLY TRIED THAT SHIT OUT JESUS CHRIST DO YOU LOSERS ACTUALLY THINK YOU'RE COOL FOR USING THIS STUPID BULLSHIT? GOOD GOD YOU'RE PRETENDING YOU'RE A HACKER OR SOME SHIT FROM CSI, LINUX IS MEGA DOG SHIT AND ANYONE SAYING ANYTHING ELSE IS JUST A MASSIVE FREETARD. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR OBSCURE, WANNABE BULLSHIT. JUST KILL YOURSELVES AND DON'T EVEN TRY TO TELL ME UBUNTU OR ANYTHING IS ANY BETTER, I'VE ACTUALLY -TRIED- OUT LINUX AND IT WAS SHIT. YOU LOSERS ARE EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH SOCIETY, GOOD GOD HAVE YOU LOOKED AT YOURSELVES LATELY? YOU SERIOUSLY PRETEND TO BE COOL USING SHIT SOFTWARE LIKE LINUX WELL FUCK YOU!

Alsamixer? That's so BLOATED! REAL hackers change the sound level by echoing values into /proc and /sys... Oh wait, there are no Arch Wiki articles for that. Never mind, I don't know how to do that.

If you want a good, productive way to avoid getting bored, you should install Arch Linux™! You'll spend hours of fun trying to figure out where pacman keeps its package cache, and feel like a true elite hacker when you learn what the appropriate option you're supposed to pass to pacman to rolback!
Arch Linux™ - For Expert Sysadmins Only!

Who are you quoting, tripfag?

Attached: 1468162720929.png (251x251, 64K)

Damn right! Arch Linux™ NEVER breaks, except when it does. And when it does, it's ALWAYS YOUR FAULT for being an INCOMPETENT sysadmin. How DARE you blame Arch Linux™ when it's obviously YOUR fault that the devs push unstable packages to [stable]? I mean come on, the installation procedure turns you into a UNIX® pro over the course of 24 hours! Booting from the live CD, typing `/arch/setup/`, and holding down Enter makes you a wizard-class hacker. Wizard-class hackers know better than to update their software even though they're using a rolling release distro!

Hi, fellow Arch Linux™ user! I'm so glad you decided to let everyone know what your distro is, because it's super important that everyone on the Internet knows how gloriously minimalistic Arch Linux™ is!
You and me, we're UNIX® experts! `pacman -U /var/cache/kernel26-3.0.1-ARCH.tar.xz` is serious business, you know

Hey guys, I use Arch Linux™, because knowing how to rollback pacman package updates makes me an EXPERT HACKER SYSADMIN.
Pic related, it's my desktop. Arch Linux™ master race.

Oh, it’s never broken for you? Awesome, me neither! Now we have more time to spend reading tedious PKGBUILDs for all that AUR software we install, in order to make sure it isn't riddled with botnets! Damn I love the AUR, it's so easy and simple! And the fact that it allows ME to be responsible for my system's security? AWESOME. It's not like I have anything better to do anyway!
And the init system! Mmm, the awesome, oversimplified rc.conf is where Arch Linux™ REALLY shines! Runlevels are BLOTE. Asynchronous daemons are BLOTE. Arch Linux™ Keeps It Simply Stupid® by eliminating any and all of the features that modern distros have perfected over the past decade.

That's fucking gay dude. I would never use anything Canonical touches.
I switched to Arch after they FORCED Unity on us and gave us NO WAY TO REMOVE IT AT ALL EVER. It was a good decision, because now I'm a UNIX® expert.

Nice very based

>attentionwhoring this bad
into the filter you go

Attached: did u know I use arch.png (492x611, 407K)

>what am I in for
>can't take a screenshot

Attached: Gunsmith Cats RE v03 (2007) (Digital) (Lovag-Empire) 287.jpg (583x454, 84K)

>What am I in for?

Weight gain

#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
Have sex

>install scrot
>$scrot ayy.png
?

That's lean muscle mass right?

I've been using Arch for a year and it's smooth sailing so far. I don't take any precaution, or read any new about Arch. I just run pacman -Syu whenever I want.

Screenfetch threads.

Attached: 1555811126036.jpg (700x490, 53K)