Now that the dust has well and truly settled

What are your HONEST thoughts about HDMI?

>Although I feel it was revolutionary for the time (introduced in 2002), combining it's bastard son of DVI-D with audio capabilities, it steered consumer electronics away from the analogue standard which had been firmly established for half a century. These days I feel it is becoming quite obsolete compared to Display Port and especially USB-C with consumers demanding features like a locking mechanism, reversable connectors, higher refresh rates or being able to transmit data and power.

>However I don't feel HDMI will go anywhere soon. Believe it or not it is proprietary and it's widespread adoption means "HDMI" is synonymous with "video display". It continues to improve with HDMI 2.1 supporting up to 10K at 120Hz keeping it at least competitive at the market

Attached: HDMI-2.0-Featured-Image-816x459.jpg (816x459, 53K)

Useless DRM horse shit.

Proprietary plugs are a fucking cancer. I don't care how good they are.

Sort of today's VGA, I'd rather have DisplayPort but it's better than having no digital video port or having to carry a dongle for TB3/USB-C

why can't we just reuse ethernet for monitors?

>What are your HONEST thoughts about HDMI?
Convenient, but fucks up my audio unless I fake a second screen.

I want HDMI soundcards back.
Having to deal with having one monitor, yet two shows up in Windows is annoying since I have to have two HDMI cables. One for image, one for audio.

legit wondering the same over here

I hope DisplayPort alt mode on USB-C becomes a common thing. It'd be nice being able to supply video, audio, and power with just one cable.

HDMI came out just in time to put audio and video over the same cable, right as everyone was switching to dedicated external speakers.

It solves a non problem.

I personally use Component to connect Blu-Ray, Xbox 360 and my AV receiver to my TV. The only things connected to my TV (Via my AV receiver as well) is my PS4, PS3, DVB box and HTPC.

It tries to be USB for AV connections and does a middling job. HDMI has many of the same problems as USB as it fails to truly be universal. Gear and cables can be varying degrees of compliant with the standard. Figuring out which standard is implemented without actually having the manual or knowing can be opaque at best. Mixing new and old gear can be produce uneven results. There is no option for screws, so you have to rely on the connector to stay tight.

OTOH, being able to hook up components without having to actually look at the back of equipment is a life safer. Screw RCA, YPbR, S-Video or any connector that is color coded or requires me to pull out a heavyass receiver. It also manages to do what SCART was trying to do with half the wonky.

Attached: 1428867246312.jpg (357x542, 64K)

Is it true that mediocrity sells? Is it cheaper to produce than display port or USB-C? I have a feeling if it were reversable or had locking pins, it would be more expensive

almost as bad as blu ray
removed my ability to analog output without a splitter

Don't know about mediocrity, but display port is just a slightly modified HDMI to get around the patents, so I would expect it to be cheaper than USB-C, which is largely owned and controlled by Intel. Display Port became really popular in the business market.

HDMI is fine. I can't imagine running any video over 1080p at 120Hz.

That being said, DP is technically superior at the moment and it would be pretty awesome to just be able to use USB-C for everything. I don't imagine I will update either of my TVs in the next 5 - 10 years so I guess it's HDMI for my foreseeable feature.

"Good enough" sells which is different from mediocrity
HDMI was good enough at what it needed to do which was transport both digital video and audio and be backwards compatible with the outgoing standard for digital video on consumer electronics which was DVI

1440p 144Hz is the bare minimum in 2019

I was using a VGA to HDMI cable and my monitor was very blurry. Now I have a regular HDMI cable and it's fucking clear. I liked it

Displayport is infinitely superior

Basically this

I used HDMI to VGA and it's fine. Your adapter is shit.

It's the opposite, you dumb fuck.