Why most GNU/Linux users want rolling release

Can someone explain me why most users want a rolling release distribution? Arch fags often use i3wm/dwm with terminal applications, updating every weeks is clearly useless for them. Do you also need the latest Linux kernel, the new browser features that breaks the web, the last icon set for your desktop environment? It just feel like the cons of rolling release are outweighing the pros. Do you actually get an adrenaline boost when running sudo pacman -Syu ?

Attached: package.png (600x563, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243253
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because reinstalling a distro is a pain in the ass, having up to date software is a good thing and there's no reason to not have rolling release, remember, not all rolling release is buggy shit, I for one use Solus and it's very stable

I just like not having to reinstall for a new major version every year.
Just run pacman -Syu once a week and all my shit will always be up to date.

As a software developer, I keep VERY up to date with my dependencies. Normally there is something interesting I keep my eye out for at least every couple of months. Having a distro like arch is great for that.

So is Arch. The whole "Arch breaks every x days" thing is garbage regurgitated by zoomers who couldn't install it (somehow...) and now have nothing better to do than make angry posts from their Ubuntu installation.

This. It just works.

Fedora just werks

Because large upgrades are more likely to fuck up my computer compared to 10 small upgrades. Also when you are compiling shit you almost always need the most up to date dependencies.

>software developer
programmer

Whatever; I'd accept either title. As long as it's not "coder".

>I keep VERY up to date with my dependencies
So you pull in the latest bugs and regressions as soon as they're available?

Isn't upgrading debian just as simple as changing your apt sources?

>having up to date software is a good thing
Oh, yeah, right, but of course. Now all of a sudden up to date software is a good thing, and not a botnet. Silly me.

Attached: 1508205873056.jpg (980x729, 138K)

Yes, and then I try to fix them upstream if they're annoying enough and I can be bothered.
Worst-case if you downgrade a package and wait for a fix. I'm current holding xserver 1.20.4 back, because I'm pretty sure a fix to a very annoying bug is already on master, and I'm just waiting for the next release.

>not all rolling release is buggy shit
>not all
more like none
the "arch breaks xorg" thing is a meme from 2006
its much more likely that debian shits itself on distro upgrades than arch from updating 4 packages a week

Rolling release doesn't have to be synonymous with unstable, see gentoo.

>So is Arch. The whole "Arch breaks every x days" thing is garbage regurgitated by zoomers who couldn't install it
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243253

The only buggy rolling release I've ever used is Manjaro, and that's because those faggots use a similar update model to non rolling release distro, as in updating all of their shit at once

>Yes, and then I try to fix them upstream if they're annoying enough and I can be bothered.
And you do all this for free? You should become a Jow Forums janitor

It's called free software, mate. I do things because I want them for myself, but if other people can benefit from it too, all the better.

Fuck off, Kevin.

It's free for me, but you have to pay for it with your labor, it seems

If you enter the branch (stable/testing/(sid/unstable)) you only have to do that that one time.

ok, humor me for a bit: why specifically gentoo? I know 5 people who use loonix and 3 of those use gentoo mainly. Why? Doesn't the compiling take AGES? I must admit, I am curious but I like my Arch install.

Nah, only the initial install takes a while if you chose a desktop profile set. There's a few programs that take a few hours to compile like Firefox but other than that shit is quicc

>Can someone explain me why most users want a rolling release distribution?
They don't. Jow Forums != most users

WHY DO MOST*
HOLY FUCK YOU'VE BEEN MAKING THREADS FOR WEEKS NOW AND YOU ALWAYS SKIP 'DO' PLEASE LEARN HOW TO USE THIS VERY IMPORTANT VERB OR STOP MAKING THREADS FUCKING ESL

Because software is still being developed and you want the stable updates for everything?

> the new browser features that breaks the web
Rolling releases don't mean on an unstable channel. It's often anyhow the upstream stable software that is PARTLY delivered by the spuriously deployed myriad of auto-updaters on Windows.

I had almost nothing break for ages now.

>Doesn't the compiling take AGES?
Only on 10y+ old laptops. Something where compiling takes ages almost never comes up in or anything like it.

Even a measly Ryzen 2400G is easily fast enough to compile most packages in the background in a minute or two. And yes, in the background. It's not like you're sitting there and waiting for it to happen in general.

Wow he downgraded one patch and it worked again! Troubleshooting is hard.

but its so thriling, that feeling of discovery and freshness

have you ever read any english text in your life? both are fine without "do"

> HOLY FUCK YOU'VE BEEN MAKING THREADS FOR WEEKS NOW AND YOU ALWAYS SKIP 'DO' PLEASE LEARN HOW TO USE THIS VERY IMPORTANT VERB
I your mom.
...Indeed, it's very important.

autism

>Do you actually get an adrenaline boost when running sudo pacman -Syu ?
Actually yes, but only because it the past doing that has fucked up my system a few times (but not in the last 2 years iirc)

I don't read literature by retards, it's not fine.

the real missing word you should be slamming him for is the "to" in between "explain" and "me"