RAID isn’t a backup

>RAID isn’t a backup

Attached: 04F41345-E132-42EF-831B-B8FCEC489C7A.jpg (836x786, 131K)

>one drive fails
>entire array is unrecoverable
Wow great. Or alternatively.
>Raid 6/60
>Two drives fail at nearly the same time cause they were from the same batch
Raid is not a backup you absolute retarded gorilla nigger and now fuck back off to .

Attached: 1554938255155.jpg (700x700, 209K)

What's point of this post?

>Jow Forums isn't your personal blog

Attached: 2014-08-19-672-Procedural-Content.png (1020x423, 447K)

I remember before ssds came out in like 2001 I raid 0'd a 4 super high rpm hard drives and it was sweet, then a month later everything corrupted and I swore never again

Yeah RAID isn't a backup.
What's the point of this thread?

>RAID 1 fails
>Replace broken disk
>Good disk fails before data is copied back over to replacement disk

Attached: ib1yGGDWPyMbJO.gif (500x427, 974K)

Anybody who doesn't live in a third world country where they have to worry about flooding or power surges only cares about the possibility of a single drive failing.

As such, a RAID config that can handle a single drive failure without and data loss is perfectly fine for 99% of people.

Kill yourself you gorilla nigger.
Flooding and power surges are the least of your problems if you use RAID anything as a backup, even if you RAID server is located in the middle of the ocean.
But what do I expect from another larping Jow Forumstard.

technically, it is if you use the right raid.

Raid 0 is NOT a backup. It just combined your drives to make it faster.

Raid 1 IS pretty much a backup. It basically mirrors everything on your first drive to the 2nd drive. So in a event the first drive fails, you got a exact copy on the 2nd drive.

The only sensible post in the thread.

Also RAID 0+1 exists, just not very practical or necessary nowadays.

can you mix raids?
like have your boot/pagefile drives set to raid 0, and use raid 5 for the main drive?

in linux yea, I don't know about windows

True, but RAID-1 won't help you in all the situations a true backup would. It won't help if you accidentally delete everything, or it you get a virus that cryptolocker's all your shit etc.

For low IQ niggers:
>RAID setups
>special backup tools
>cloning disks

For high IQ white men:
>copying and pasting your home directory
>keeping OS install media handy

Attached: hitler_saint.jpg (600x717, 75K)

>One drive from every mirror array fails
>RAID10 keeps on going along

its not. You're supposed to backup your array(s) to another device. I have 3 mirror arrays in my server amounting to 14TB (7TB usable). Those arrays all then backup to an independent 8TB disk. Super important irreplaceable data also gets backed up to DVDs that I burn.

More realistically
>Drives fail in rapid succession at nearly the same time in every mirror cause you bought them from the same batch
I know no one here actually has a clue what he's talking about but come on, only one drive in every array failing has a chance so close to zero you might as well call it impossible.

>The MacBook Pro doesn't support RAID
Checkmate, atheists.

Attached: raid support.png (720x750, 765K)

All I see is RAID supporting the MacBook Pro, not the MacBook Pro supporting RAID.

Well, I've had one of each happen to me. One time one of my RAID1 mirrors failed and the other one (bought at the same time) continued for several years.

Another time when I was doing sysdamin for a client, one of their drives failed at 6am in the morning and the other went at midday. Luckily I used those six hours to make a fresh backup.

but you just proved them right

I have never encountered that before.
In my experience it's always drive 0 fails at midnight and no one bothers to notify anyone, and then 3 hours later another two drives fail within minutes of each other and then I get angry panicked calls cause they had no backups cause the raid was their backup and production at the same time.. And later it turns out all drives were bought from the same retailer in one batch.
I'm very glad I don't have to deal with that shit anymore explaining to people that RAID is not a proper backup strategy while they are about to kill themselves or me is something I definitely do not miss.

It isn't. It's redundancy.

Or if you need version history for any reason outside a source control system.

false

RAID0 on SSDs with regular backups is the way to go imo

>House burns down
>Both graphics card burn down

Inb4
>Butbut, if you are a complete and utter retard like me (sic), you store your backups in the same location as your computer so they would burn down as well!

Raid is not a backup, it is fault tolerance.

If deleting a file on your live system also deletes it on your "backup" drive then it's not a backup you retard

>t. never worked in the industry and has no fucking clue what he's talking about
Back to