Did I fall for the meme?

A week ago I decided to install gentoo because I was bored and I have never done it.
Installed it and kinda liked it.
Used it for a day and really liked it.
I have spent the last week installing gentoo on 5 virtual machines to replace my file server, dns server, irc server, ssh server and now I'm about to replace my webserver. Why is gentoo memed so much when it is actually the best distro?

Attached: gentoo.png (320x328, 84K)

Install GuixSD.

I do use some DRM software as I run my servers in ESXI

What meme? Jow Forums was just giving out good advice, like always.

gentoo is the king

ok let's not go too far here. But Gentoo really is really the best distro.

I just honestly expected it to be bad because it was shilled so much on Jow Forums

what makes it the best ?

it's better than the rest

It's great if your time is worthless and placebos are important to you

/gee/ gives solid advice like gentoo and thinkpads and BTFOing iToddlers, you should listen once in a while

Attached: 1555508796393.jpg (261x195, 9K)

I made a script that requires little interaction for installing gentoo which suits my purposes. Most of the time is just waiting for it to compile and I wouldn't consider it to be a placebo as the final install uses less storage, ram, and cpu than my previous debian minimal installs. I also have selinux working on all of the gentoo installs which is an improvement alone. Compiling everything on 8 cores is rather quick and I have my USE flags set up to disable and enable exactly what I need which results in smaller binaries and less resources used in the end.

Sure, apt install whatever is faster than emerging it but when I emerge it, I have full control over it and gentoo is great about making the services work flawlessly without much configuration at all.

In the end, I have a more stable, more secure, slightly faster install with much more up to date packages than I would with debian stable.

What is the advantage of Gentoo over building yoir own system, LFS-style? You still have to compile everything, so what's aactually the difference?

USE flags

in the time it took to be dissapointed in ubuntu yet gain and arm wrestle with centos and xorg and amdgpu on this ryzen shitbox, i could've just installed gentoo like on my home machine

it just werks

Explain. Also, can't I have those if I do lfs?

You use them to define the dependencies for a package you want to install. For example you want to install a program without gtk dependencies but qt instead.

No lfs does not have this. You can use compiler flags, but that's another story.

Gentoo compiles everything but it does it through portage/emerge or at least that is my understanding of it. That system is extremely flexible and if you already know how to compile stuff manually and are comfortable with it, it makes things much more manageable and robust.

When using emerge, packages are aware of their dependencies and capabilities and they are presented in a way that gives you full control over what you do and don't want included when they are compiled. Most of the time you can just accept the defaults and move on but if you want to, you have the option to easily and safely disable things or enable things that aren't default. This does open the door to you doing the wrong thing repeatedly and despite warnings continuing and breaking a lot of things but as long as you actually read the documentation and don't rush things and go in blindly, you should be fine.

I've been using debian for several years and moving to gentoo wasn't too hard given that I would often have to compile things manually to get the latest version of software that wasn't in the stable release of debian. The result of this usually resulted in a stable and usable system, but over time I've had to do more and more hacks to make sure I don't break half of the system by replacing an apt build with a manually compiled build.

I think the bottom line is that if you're even semi-regularly building things from source - especially things that are dependencies for precompiled binaries, gentoo is probably the best route because you're much less likely to break shit unintentionally. Or at least if you do something that does end up breaking it you can blame yourself for manually fucking yourself over and reverting is easier than if you're doing half of it manually and half of it using a package manager.

Dependency management and upgrading your system with one command.

>actually have some quality posts
have a bump
btw, does gentoo uses some distro-specific configuration tools like debian does?

>Why is gentoo memed so much when it is actually the best distro?
It really isn't "memed" at all. When people tell you to install Gentoo, they aren't being ironic. Yet you refused to listen until now.

What kind of tools are you talking about?

The difference is that almost everything that can be automated _is_ automated, as it should be.
LFS is imho not worth it simply because the additional work you have to do doesn't really translate into any noticeable advantage over Gentoo. You really just have to solve dependencies, run compiles, configurations and the like manually, instead of having them automated for you.
In fact, Gentoo having the reputation of being "hard to use" or for being for "advanced users" is largely a myth. Considering the useful tools the distribution provides (equery, eix, q...) it's actually _easier_ to use, in my experience, than most other popular distributions. Yes, that's right. The main reason I use Gentoo is because it's easy to use: I don't have time to bother with apt shitting itself through dependency hell or pacman fucking up X.
Its reputation comes from a longer install process, which is however justified by having you make many choices yourself.

Yes. equery, eix, eselect and q are the first ones that come to mind. However, you don't have to use them at all if you don't want to, and they will be able to adapt to your choices.

>the additional work you have to do doesn't really translate into any noticeable advantage
This is how non-autistic people feel about Gentoo.

like debconf, dpkg-reconfigure, etc

^this.

Something as basic as installing multiple versions of the same package (very useful for debugging programs that use third party libraries) literally just werk on Gentoo, while you usually get apt dependency hell in Debian. And let's not even mention how easy it is to change init system, unlike many other distributions. In my experience, Gentoo did lead to a very noticeable improvement.
On the other hand, I tried making a LFS build, but it really didn't provide me with anything I wasn't already having from Gentoo, except I had to manage dependencies manually, which is no fun.