Good DE's

What are some little known DE's that deserve some love?

Attached: beautify-your-kde-plasma-5-desktop-environment-with-freshly-ported-adapta-theme-517792-2.jpg (1920x1080, 332K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/B00merang-Project/Redmond-Themes
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/openbox#GUI_configuration
twitter.com/AnonBabble

KDE and Xfce are the only ones that matter.

KDE is pretty nice if you want more options.

Gnome is the only one worth installing.
>its slow and uses too much ram
Use an actual computer and not a stinkpad from 98

Deepin

Attached: 1556006342744.jpg (261x195, 9K)

this

Trinity DE.

KDE is pretty nice if you want to fuck around getting a bloated DE to kind of do want you want it to. KDE is the RGB of DEs.
Much rather have XFCE or LXDE and just get on with doing some work.

/thread

But why would one use a tablet UI on an actual computer?

>Xfce
>matters
kek

Because I don't mind the resemblance of a tablet UI.

makes sense

oh my god it's awful

install lumina

For me it's lxqt

Attached: scrot.png (1366x768, 341K)

Because of its focus on keyboard usage.

What's the most vintage looking DE though

Why would you keep dnfdragora installed?

Br ainlet

What a silly thing to say, do you think you need a tablet UI in order to use a keyboard?

>using a DE

do you think a windows copycat DE needs a keyboard at all?

>do you think you need a tablet UI in order to use a keyboard?
No, which is why I didn't say it.

Konqi Desktop Evironment

Attached: konqi.jpg (320x320, 22K)

Any DE that allows you to run these old Windows themes
github.com/B00merang-Project/Redmond-Themes

>windows
no

If KDE didn't exist, I wouldn't use a DM at all.

>bloat
Maybe when KDE 4 dropped in 2009. It's sleek just rough around corners sometimes.

Enlightenment and Budgie deserve more respect round these parts!

You said you use a tablet UI because it has a focus on keyboard usage, which implies some sort of link between the two, when there isn't any. It makes no sense, because there are multiple options which can make extensive use of a keyboard, as such it has no relation to the question. So, using the tablet UI on an actual computer is illogical simply because of keyboard usage as a stated reason, because multiple UI options designed for actual computers also exist and also make use the keyboard.

That is not what he said. He said he used gnome due to keyboard focus.

>which implies some sort of link between the two
That's what you read into it.
>why do you use A despite it having B?
>because it also offers C
GNOME comes with a tablet UI and offers extensive keyboard support. That doesn't link the UI to the keyboard usage nor was it my intention to imply it.
Also GNOME is all about the default experience. I don't want to tweak a DE just to have the same experience GNOME offers me.

They also offer themes resembling old MacOS versions, if that's more to your liking.

is this the new gnome thread?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-23 11-21-54.png (1600x900, 1.4M)

>having autism

is there any way to show the shutdown panel when I hit alt+f4 like xfce?

Samsung Dex

yes, it needs a tablet DE because you will be using the keyboard, so when you use the mouse or worse a touchpad is dead easy to click on shit without thinking.
Absolutely chad DE which is easy to use and is always working

wtf alt f4 is supposed to close the window, you mean control alt del in gnome, give you the reboot/shutdown popup.

>That doesn't link the UI to the keyboard usage
Indeed, which is what I said. Why are you repeating it? Keyboard usage is not exclusive to GNOME, therefore using that as a reason to use GNOME makes no sense, as that is a feature common among a great many options.
>I don't want to tweak a DE
You should've said this from the get go, gotcha.

Proud to be an autist

alt+f4 show the popup in both windows and xfce (when there are no opened programs) though

>keyboard usage is not exclusive to GNOME
Nobody said that you retard.
You've been proved to not have reading comprehension twice.
Also why does recaptcha suddenly works faster.

Now if only it wouldn't use the Wayland backend by default and ditch gdm, maybe then the standard package would function. DE without those two is somewhat decent.

the one you setup with compiz standalone

My reading comprehension is fine, your logical reasoning is failing or you are being dishonest while attempting to misdirect. You claim to use GNOME because of keyboard usage, but keyboard usage is not a distinguishing feature of GNOME. Using GNOME because of "keyboard focus" is like picking your car because it has a steering wheel.

more like deepinside of my PC is now a backdoor

what possible reason do you have to use centos personally

it can't be a good one

maybe he uses gnome cause he likes gnome? is he not allowed to just like something?

That's fine, but he can just say so instead of random shit about keyboards.

IceWM
CDE (you can still compile it today)
and there's some other one I can't remember right now. You could also install Xfce and a few GTK2 themes off xfce-look to make it functional

if I had to guess it'd be for the neofetch logo and nothing else

the neofetch logo you say?

Attached: 2019-04-23-134949_964x508_scrot.png (964x508, 197K)

people who choose linux distros based on aesthetics are literal brainlets
almost as bad as people who only even use linux for purely aesthetic reasons

I didn't claim anything in the first place.
>keyboard usage is not a distinguishing feature of GNOME
Keyboard usage may not be the main objective of GNOME, but compared to other DEs it rocks. You can start programs by the press of a button and typing progam's name. Switching and moving windows through desktops can be done with key shortcuts that are set by default, is a nice feature that GNOME has and other DEs lack. Showing all of the installed programs can also be made by keyboard only. Opening the notification panel can also be made by a default keyboard shortcut etc.
GNOME has a nice set of default keyboard shortcuts to make it easier using your computer.
Picking GNOME for keyboard usage is like picking a car because it has a steering wheel, but this steering wheel has common stuff like gear and radio controls on it, so it's easier to use them and focus on the driving too.
also this

dude i use gnome daily but this is not a good argument for gnome just because it has (mostly) sane defaults
absolutely pointless argument unless you're trying to convince someone why grandma should use gnome instead of kde

LTS Fedora
retard, just make an alias in bashrc for neofetch

Yeah, it's only one of the most established and pretty much the most supported DE in existence.

I'm not saying gnome is good just because it has sane defaults. I'm trying to say that choosing gnome for it's sane defaults, alongside other features, is valid.

Now compare GNOMEs keyboard features to something like bspwm or i3 paired with dmenu or rofi and terminal scripts.

What theme is that?

choosing a DM/WM/anything based on defaults instead of its potential is imo pretty flawed
especially when it comes to the linux ecosystem where everything has a DIY attitude

uh oh like other DEs ain't doing the same, too.

>oh no it uses wayland by default
it is not even the default when you launch it in xinit and you can just fucking choose Xorg when you log in. My machine doesn't actually have any wayshit installed.

Openbox and i3 are pretty underrated.

>yeah dude just install bspwm and spent 2 hours choosing your own keybinds

I'm not choosing GNOME because of it's defaults, that's just a thing I like about GNOME
Now compare desktop usage between GNOME(or any DE, really) and some autistic tiling WM.
No not really.

my gnome defaults to xorg because of my 2070, wayland is entirely optional
gdm is the only thing thats caused me issues but thats only happened maybe 3 times in the last few years and only on an update and because i was used a patched mutter that fucked something up and each time it was solved through falling back to an older package until it got fixed upstream

once nvidia works with wayland as well as it does with xorg (or better but hahahahaha its fucking nvidia) ill be 100% satisfied with my de choice

I like using Linux Mint's Cinnamon. I'm not very familiar with Linux distros, but everything else looks like shit. I liked OP pic, though.
There's no reason for me to use Windows since I web browse, consume media and play Valve games. As long as I can run Forager, there's absolutely no reason. I haven't migrated yet because of my bookmarks.

Jow Forums has gotten out of the i3 phase long time ago since there are better options like dwm with libxcb

We were talking about defaults right? Default keybinds? So why are other defaults irrelevant?

Sauce

nice strawman, but no
KDE, XFCE, Openbox, etc all have sane defaults with easy ways to change settings/keybinds its not something thats exclusive to gnome
gnome just happens to be the most polished DE if you want an out of the box experience without touching its guts or settings ever

if you cant be bothered to spend 5 minutes setting up keybinds and thats what makes you choose a DE over another than idk what to tell you dude maybe linux isnt for you

>Now compare desktop usage between GNOME(or any DE, really) and some autistic tiling WM.

Usage doesn't matter, keyboard usage was mentioned and tiling wms just smash everything in that area.

LXDE is sort of dead, afaik it and openbox get no new developement, maybe maintanence at most
xfce is much better anyway, prettier and still worked on

because their shitty keyboard layout, volume and so on applets don't properly work for anything that is not the default. Multimonitor works perfectly too compared to xfce/lxde. Everything about gnome is supposed to work out of the box, that is the design gnome follows. I know you people can like kde and xfce but is not made in a way that the default works for most people, in ANY usecase you have to tweak it a bit so it's not shit.
>dude maybe linux isnt for you
If I have shit to do I can't be bothered with your manchild virtual cock rituals retard, do you know at least how do you compile a basic c program? fuck off retard go watch your shitty bash youtuber luke or whatever. Professionals just want a GUI that works, shit gets done in the terminal or IDEs as needed. Go eat a dick, is like you are trying to make your laptop be as slick as a server without any graphical tools

tiling WMs are so god damn resistant to modern aesthetics and ease of use its infuriating
i want to have a tiling WM with the ability to competently have floating windows when i want but nothing ive used does this well besides awesome and awesome has some fuckweird quirks with multimonitors that i couldnt be bothered to spend hours googling

and then you have the xmonads, dwms, etc where its configuration require you to change the fucking source like holy shit when i want to set a keybind at most im willing to open a plaintext .config not recompile the whole god thing everytime I want to change something seriously what the fuck is wrong with these autists who make these WMs

people with actual shit to do will dedicate some time to their setup to get maximal efficiency, not just stick with defaults
more people in my office use tiling WMs than i can count and it absolutely is worth doing if youre going to be spending 8 hours a day coding to cut down on as much downtime as possible

personally i just use gnome but termux+vim does the job almost as well as a tiling wm

Unity 8

i fucking love GNOME.
thid DE genuinely makes me want to switch to linux.

Why not just have a de and a wm? Use a wm for work switch to the de when fucking around.

do it, i theme my gnome to mimic osx so i can pretend my xps is a macbook but without the shit hardware and garbage OS ideology

>Everything about gnome is supposed to work out of the box, that is the design gnome follows.

Keyword supposed. My experience with GNOME is quite rough. Tried the DE multiple times but it'd always end up breaking in some way.

Point being, it works for you, which is perfectly fine. That doesn't mean other options are irrelevant/don't work/are stupid/whatever.

ive tried this but logging out to switch everytime i want to do something is annoying and not everything supports 'saving' workspaces so id have to reopen a bunch of shit every time

like i want to have tiling windows on one workspace, floating on another for GUI applications with pop up windows or dialogue boxes and again the only wm that has done this well was awesome imo but it has garbage multimonitor support and configuring it is also a pain in the ass

same, gnome and kde "apps" look like shit in dwm, so you need to use stuff like lxde which are pretty nice too but buggy and it doesnt have everything. For example boxes or nautilus, or image viewers, anything with decorations really. unless you rice
>and then you have the xmonads, dwms, etc where its configuration require you to change the fucking source like holy shit when i want to set a keybind at most im willing to open a plaintext .config not recompile the whole god thing everytime I want to change something seriously what the fuck is wrong with these autists who make these WMs
that's fine on me, there is other tools for keyboard shortcuts
harukana receive manga
>t. kickstart worker

>t. kickstart worker
not everyone enjoys working in finance or making huge corporate messes of a program
to each their own man

>Why are you repeating it?
To show to you that I'm well aware of the fact and that you put words in my mouth.
>You should've said this from the get go, gotcha.
Next time I will.

Cinnamon :3

like clockwork

>Openbox
Am I missing some convenient tool? Because I always thought the process of adding keybinds is tedious.

openbox
icewm
fluxbox
xmonad
twm

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/openbox#GUI_configuration

>obkey
Thanks, user.

anytime you have an issue just check the arch wiki and 99% of the time it's there with workarounds or solutions

I actually did, but like the retard that I am I only looked at the Keybinds section.

>good DE
There isn't any.

more like use arch instead of broken manjaro.
gnome is fine but i preffer unity.

budgie is unironically based af