Tesla

Tesla
>requires a fuck tonne of cameras and ultrasonic sensors 360 degrees around the car
>requires insanely powerful custom fab GPUs
>requires a lot of fucking electricity
>costs $7,000
>liable to being hacked
>is still highly error prone

Humans
>has two eyes, two ears
>rarely makes errors
>unhackable
>learns significantly faster than ML meme

self driving and so called 'machine learning' is a meme and always will be if it requires stupidly powerful silicon.

Attached: tesla-fsd-demo-stop-sign-1-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/31/tesla-car-crash-autopilot-mountain-view
youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
axios.com/artificial-intelligence-pioneer-says-we-need-to-start-over-1513305524-f619efbd-9db0-4947-a9b2-7a4c310a28fe.html
youtube.com/watch?v=pApuHDDDjuE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can make this argument about literally anything people make.

The problem is that current self-driving stuff still wants a person to be in control. Self-driving cars will only be useful when they're reliable enough that you can get falling-down drunk, stumble to your car, say "okay car, drive me home", and then wake up in your garage. Half-measures like lanekeeping are worthless - if I have to be awake, alert, and sober, I might as well drive.

>Humans
>unhackable
Nice meme

fuck you i want to sleep and travel.

>humans
>rarely make errors
>unhackable
you can grind an entire city to a standstill with a few fake detour signs and a high vis jacket

>humans
>>requires high fidelity cameras and ultra high sensitive microphones
>>requires high end bio-electric computer
>>requires expensive chemical fuel and ultra high cost maintenance + downtime
>>costs 50000€ a year
>>takes thousands of years for small hardware changes

Was evolution and biology just a meme or what?

>rarely makes errors

Kek

>human requires 8 years of learning to comprehend driving a vehicle
>stereoscopic dynamic cameras facing forward
>error prone
>easily hacked/manipulated
>takes a good 20 years to learn anything meaningful

>requires expensive chemical fuel

A human needs about 100 Watts and can eat shit that grows for free in the dirt.

>unhackable
Blow 0.1 grams of powder at someone and tell them to empty their bank account then come back.

i can't get over how fucking ugly teslas look on the inside. they just look ugly, and cheap, and i hate that there's no imagination to the interior besides BIG-ASS TABLET

it's like, why do cars currently have their instrument panel behind the wheel. did nobody think that that was for a reason, or did they just think BIG-ASS TABLET and fuck off to play ping-pong

fucking idiots i hate them with my life. theyre doing electric cars but theyre doing them WRONG and in poor taste

Attached: neutrahl - -_YpzQ3BB.jpg (3076x2100, 597K)

>has two eyes, two ears
Doesn't matter if they don't use them
>rarely makes errors
Holy fucking no how stupid are you
>unhackable
In a traditional sense no, but you can definitely "hack" someone to think or behave a certain way, as long as you can get them to completely voluntarily believe in what you want them to. See: hardcore religious fanatics, children, and liberals
If they actually try and aren't horrifically stupid, yes. But 99/100 times they can't or won't take it to perfection, just good enough
>self driving and so called 'machine learning' is a meme and always will be if it requires stupidly powerful silicon.
Yes, but give it time. They said the same thing about home computing and gaming, yet here we are

Btw, I'm not a teslafag, I fucking hate them.

Im ok with cars getting all the data they need, hell, they can even do this in simulations for a majority, and then be set forth on the roads.

I want self driving, if only because of how much I despise pissing 60+ minutes away on a good day for something that is fucking tedious.

the only arguments agaist are from people who do illegal shit, which fine, if you are rich enough or have no job, do the illegal shit, but when I rely on my ability to drive to get to and from work, I cant.

>theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/31/tesla-car-crash-autopilot-mountain-view
at least humans don't randomly/involuntarily swerve into barriers and kill themselves

society knows how to deal with humans who make mistakes. 'human error' and lapses of judgement are understanable on a basic level.

i dislike that teslas are inscrutable black boxes that they'll never, ever, ever, ever open up to forensic examination out of paranoia. they're irresponsible on a basic level and i loathe them for it. 'move fast and break things' is abandonment of responsibility if your product is responsible for peoples' safety

I actually think the Tesla interior is nice.
It doesn't need a shit ton of gauges, and after you got used to the touchpad thing, it would be cool.
What I don't like is the big stupid looking "This car doesn't need a big grill opening, so we'll just leave a big, stupid looking flat space on the front where the grill would be if this car needed a grill" front end of the model 3.

>It doesn't need a shit ton of gauges, and after you got used to the touchpad thing, it would be cool.
the point of having an instrument panel behind the wheel is so that your speed, any UH OH SHITS FUCKED lights are in your immediate peripheral vision. moving that to a big-ass tablet is putting form over function. which is bad when this can affect safety.

alternatively get rid of the wheel altogether and go all-in on av's. but they wont because they're cowards and also stupid

> Humans
> >unhackable
Come again?

Attached: 1556045920649.jpg (1000x666, 70K)

>unhackable
My lewd chinese cartoons say otherwise.

>Humans
>>rarely makes errors
>>unhackable

youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

He's right. Errors are rare in the grand scheme of things you biased faggot.

They literally do that all the time. Saw a guy, or maybe a woman idk, who splattered themselves because I guess they just fucking drove off the road, through the rail, and into the rear of a semi haul.

>tonne

>and can eat shit that grows for free in the dirt.

Nothing is free you commie fuck

>rarely makes errors

Attached: 1549216811767.jpg (758x692, 95K)

>unhackable
Toxoplasmosis hacks brains. So, no.

Attached: CatsglowInthedArk.jpg (628x610, 120K)

>Humans
product of millions of years of evolution

>rarely makes errors
Your parents did a huge one

>rarely makes errors
Ahahahaha, so why are 30,000 people a year dying on American roads? Also
>mind affected by emotions and drugs
>constant sense of entitlement
>easily gets distracted or tired
>can't focus on multiple things at once
>relies on memory similarity to judge situations, less on sensory input

>all this projection
Never drive, please.

DELEET DIS

Attached: 1512433844274.png (340x306, 50K)

>Checks speedo on the display located 6 inches to the right of where it would be on a dash mounted gauge.
>Car instantly flips onto roof.

I'm an accident free driver of ten years though.

>rarely makes errors
fucking kek

does your car have its current instrument cluster in the central console

Good job posting that? That doesn't prove anything.

Was I supposed to prove something? Are you implying that being unaware of the faultiness of human drivers makes you a better driver than someone who's aware of it?

OP - i can't afford it so im going to trash the shit out of it.. I hope nobody notices.

>>rarely makes errors
I see you're not a driver.

Bloody hell, that road situation looks like a fucking deathtrap.

That is obviously the end goal, but would never be the first generation.

>rarely makes errors
>rarely makes errors
>rarely makes errors
>rarely makes errors
>rarely makes errors
>rarely makes errors

Attached: kekingforever.png (487x368, 283K)

no, you just stomped in here and said WELL ACTUALLY IM TEN YEARS ACCIDENT FREE and well that doesnt prove anything. good job? clap.

Tell that to nomads, gayboi

humans have so many fucking neuros they actually are conscious
way to compare it to such a system of a thousand artificial (very simplified model) neurons

Self-driving still better that human because humans have unions and 15 USD wages, the nightmare of any company.
That video is proof of concept for Tesla, they want sell the technology to Fedex and UPS

Why does big tech employ AI to do repetitive menial task (to drive)? Because the machine is cheap. I don't think it's a bad thing. If a tech company can establish a Level-5 autonomous vehicle, and dump a few tens of thousands on the roads, those human drivers will be some of the dumbest in the country.

And if you're a taxi/truck/Fedex/UPS driver in an impoverished city in America, you're going to care more about getting a job, any job, now.

Attached: e1daca42c5bdff453e8c320accfbf281.png (3000x3423, 3.47M)

not only that, but logistics are often limited by laws governing safety from human error such as tiredness. a driverless truck can drive and refuel continuously 24/7, without even brief handovers etc

they could also self diagnose common mechanical issues

No.
Now everything makes sense, actually.
Cats glow in the dark (eyes), and you can run over one.

Attached: images.jpg (194x259, 6K)

>requires a fuck tonne of cameras and ultrasonic sensors 360 degrees around the car
>requires insanely powerful custom fab GPUs

For all this, it's still a lot cheaper than the LIDAR based solutions.

Cars should have sidestick and Drive Augmentation Computer.

Attached: sidestick-airbus-a320-family-3d-model-stl.jpg (1680x2240, 354K)

I know even cheaper solution. Force every car to have TCAS of sort, which will allow to make autopilot cheap and super reliable.

axios.com/artificial-intelligence-pioneer-says-we-need-to-start-over-1513305524-f619efbd-9db0-4947-a9b2-7a4c310a28fe.html

Researcher who worked in this space in the formative stages around when DARPA sponsored competitions. Essentially you're correct. Machine learning is a meme and has no intelligence. It uses brainless statistical correlation and fast calculations to feign intelligence. It will eventually be disrupted by the real thing. Software groups will shutter and you can forget about anyone who stamped hardware w/ matrix math cores.

Without a brain, you have to compensate w/ big data/statistics/shit tons of input/computational power. None of these systems have brains. People were looking for alternative approaches to "deliver" results and gradient descent delivered. Nothing has been re-assessed at a fundamental level since then. All of the current techniques are hot garbage. It was pushed because it feeds more people to the big data/cloud computing eco-system.

The bailouts from the 2008 economic crisis rendered the economy broken. Tons of retards were given avenues to wealth and the results show :
- No aesthetic appreciation.
- Clown world level social norms
- Conmen everywhere w/ gimmicky products
- etc etc

Stupid is as stupid does.

^typical idiot selfish liberal incapable of long term thinking.

I wish.

Lazy faggot

Cats are literal niggers of the animal kingdom.

Why all electric cars have meme dashboard?
I'd accept normal gauges or simple segmented LCD, but not fucking primary flight display

This.
I think we need to fix CIA Niggers with paracetamol.

>has two eyes, two ears
>rarely makes errors
>unhackable
A bus driver came in behind me at 90 km, almost kill me..
he was tired and a retard 2 common weaknesses in every person..
With all the problems in the learning machine,
she could do a better job than most people.
>liable to being hacked
It's completely true but it's a story for another time

I want to not drive
I want to do anything other then drive
a self driving car allows you to do this.

the only argument against this is 'I love the feeling of driving' to which I say fuck your feelings or
'you only do legal things, of coarse you will never know the thrill of going 50 over a speed limit, seeing a cop and slamming the breaks so they can only register 20 over' and in that case, fuck your ability to drive it should be taken from you.

I see a future where kids go to school in self driving cars, no parents needed, and the cars effortlessly drop said kid off, no more getting up 2 hours before school to make a bus
the car can drive home on its own and take you to work, drive back on its own, and take someone else where they need to go, no more need for 2-3 cars in a family.
I see a seamless network of cars, never stopping on the road all getting you where you need to go because they know where each other are and can create gaps just big enough to fit you perfectly, cut down 3 hours of grid lock to a 15 hour short trip.
No more paying 100+$ a month on a parking pass, have the car drive where you can park for free. no more massive fuck off parking lots for every store, you could have 1 in a 5 mile radius, and you tell your car you are done or just about done, it either pulls in to pick you up or circles around because the cashier is fucking around a bit to much.
No more fucking traffic tickets, and fucking doughnut destroyers who need to make a god damn quota.

shut up fagg

i. ... I LIKE driving.... i like open roads hell i like rush hour traffic too, i like the Car i like the smell I Like the memories and the music and all the people on the road i ddont use my Phone in the car

Calculators are much much better at doing simple arithmetic than humans. Most power tools are better at whatever they do than a guy with a manual tool. But for complex tasks meatware still reigns supreme.

>humans
>unhackable
:)

I like electric cars and the fact that Tesla have by fair the best battery and motor in the buisness so far but why does "self-"driving have to be included ?

I don't want to pay for that crap that I can't use in the winter, the S would be so much cheaper without all that stupid hardware, it would probably sell a lot more too.

>Calculators are much much better at doing simple arithmetic than humans.
they are now, but early ones were slow and complex to operate, and were only really good at saving time doing almost the same thing over and over

>this prototype sucks, why bother developing it further?

Like water temp, gas gauge, oil pressure?

Attached: 1552757958075.gif (320x240, 2.87M)

Well news flash, you are an ever shrinking minority
If you want to keep living in the past just because "muh feels" then fuck your "feels"

Driving is a stupid fucking meme that needs to fucking die already

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rarely makes errors

same, driving is comfy
only time i don't like driving is in crawling traffic on a freeway, in a manual

>Humans
>rarely make erros
Uhhh... user?

Yes. I don't need a fucking map or radio station.
In case of petrol gasoline car I need
>Speedo
>Fuel
Nice to have:
>t. Coolant
>t. Oil
>Oil pressure
>Tachometer

In case of electric it would be nice to have
>t. Motor
>t. Battery
>Voltage
>Current

You should push for actual public transport then, so only people that like to drive go drive.

FUCK allowing dumbshit "car guys" behind the wheel of two-ton death machines

Humans take 16 years to learn to drive and their knowledge can't be instantaneously transferred to other humans. The real meme in ML is diminishing returns with training data. As in you need exponentially more amounts of training data to increase performance. It will be interesting to see how far they can actually take it. Maybe it will work because they're getting training data from basically every tesla.

The real solution is to fully eliminate the human element, so each car always acts in a predictable manner

Every tesla on the road is uploading all sensor data and driver inputs. That's a fuck ton of data.

Excuse me, trainfag coming through
trains:
>have already solved the problem that self-driving cars are trying to solve, literally centuries ago
>low labor costs
>cheap for transporting goods (better than trucks)
>safe as fuck, low probability of accident
>same infrastructure costs as cars (laying rail vs paving road)
There is literally no point in self-driving cars. We already have a superior technology but we just refuse to use it. It makes absolutely no sense to waste man-hours of intelligent people to solve a problem we literally brought upon ourselves.

that's real cool and all, but it would take me longer to walk to the local trainstation than to walk to the local shopping centre, and then i'd have nowhere to put stuff to bring back
trains aren't a replacement for cars
your argument would work better with public buses, but even then i'd still have no ability to carry things

The trend is still exponential. Going from not crashing 95% of the time to 99% of the time might require absolutely phenomenal amounts of data.
huh? Don't you just use bags?

>huh? Don't you just use bags?
how old are you?

Old enough to use bags. When I take the train to walmart I take my bags with me, put stuff in them, and carry them back on the train.

tesla is one of the worst in the self driving space

based response

Attached: giphy.gif (300x300, 2.27M)

>Humans
>>has two eyes, two ears
>>rarely makes errors
>>unhackable
>>learns significantly faster than ML meme
from billions of years of evolution
kys

>>is still highly error prone

This primarily stems from the fact that the self-driving system doesn't adequately cope with the fact that human drivers don't follow road laws and the roads themselves are poorly maintained and often every state has their own little bullshit idiosyncrasies.

>costs 50k€ a year.
You can live in Germany comfortably for 1/3rd of that.

is this related to altered carbon?Looks very similar

youtube.com/watch?v=pApuHDDDjuE

/thread
>"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943.

The self driving only uses 300 watts, about what your computer uses.

Obviously it should be lower but it’s still early tech.

Once lawmakers and insurance companies realizes human drivers are more dangerous, they’ll be banned

Was it autism?

>but even then i'd still have no ability to carry things
Are you disabled?

>Humans
>unhackable

Attached: 1540713520775.jpg (412x371, 35K)

If they aren't prone to error then what is satan?

Attached: c96a28e75324cb57426085ace0e8ef99bb0c0aa3bf0ec65b810d0ba920fe7c42.png (473x471, 167K)