Why are you using Vim, user? Do you really think that makes you a Unix minimalist...

Why are you using Vim, user? Do you really think that makes you a Unix minimalist? Either install a faithful vi implementation or use a proper editor like Emacs. You don't even notice the shitty middle ground you're in, silly!

Attached: 1512909672257.gif (728x720, 550K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vi.stackexchange.com/questions/5514/biggest-differences-between-vim-and-vi
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Software_minimalism#Justification_for_Minimalism
brain-dump.org/blog/index.php
suckless.org/
cat-v.org/
9front.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

emacs is bloated cancer.

ok now this is mental gymnastics

Sorry but I don't take "advice" from anime brainrots such as you.

its not

anime website

I sure hope you're not using a graphical web browser with javascript support.

Because I don't have the time to learn to use another text editor like emacs

How do I edit videos with Emacs? I want to replace kdenlive in my workflow.

Attached: 1555119389227.png (926x1150, 438K)

Internet is bloated so I needed bloated software to deal with it.

vi.stackexchange.com/questions/5514/biggest-differences-between-vim-and-vi

I been using emacs for several weeks and my left hand just fell off.
Can vim keybinds still work for me?

vis is the best vi like editor
ed is most minimal
Sam is ed but sane

Even a bloated emacs distro like spacemacs uses a fraction of the memory of a modern web browser. Your whole minimalist ideology is nothing more than a fashion statement at this point.

M-x shell and ffmpeg I guess. Or you could write your own ffmpeg wrapper in elisp.

Not really about memory. It's slow to start up meaning I can't just open a file real quick and then close out of it like I can with vim. It needs spacemacs super bloat to make it's keybindings almost as usable as vims. I also only have 128GB of disk space so I don't like wasting disk space on bloat. Web browsers do not have good alternative whereas with text editors I can use vim.

The unix philosophy started as a way to save memory with the 64k of ram on the pdp11
Now it's a good way to save memory and a really tried and true software deign paradigm.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Software_minimalism#Justification_for_Minimalism
It has less to do with memory these days and more to do with making simple programs that are easy to work with.

You can run emacs in client-server mode.
>Now it's a good way to save memory and a really tried and true software deign paradigm.
Is it? It seems to me that the majority of programs that people are using on unix these days do not follow the unix philosophy whatsoever, and that includes vim. Even in a shell scripting context its common to rely on GNU extensions which run counter to the unix philosophy.
That raises the question: if the unix philosophy is so great, why does nobody develop software that way? Are they just too stupid to see the light?

I use vi on FreeBSD though

>a proper editor like Emacs
you mean evil-mode, right?

nvi is the vi editor freebsd ships with

>I sure hope you're not using a graphical web browser with javascript support.
as my text editor?
well yes but that's beside the point

Attached: .png (380x196, 19K)

Ah yeah my bad

@70671917
>I can't just open a file real quick and then close out of it like I can with vim
>It needs spacemacs super bloat to make it's keybindings almost as usable as vims
Retardedly wrong. Learn some basic shit about emacs before arguing on the internet.

>making simple programs that are easy to work with
What are some good simple editors I can use?

Because it's good with python

Note that simple doesn't always mean simple to use.
I like vis
Sam is pretty good too, it's like ed with nano's interface.
>the majority of programs that people are using on unix these days do not follow the unix philosophy
This is true although there are groups/people out there that develop software that does follow the unix philosophy with various degrees of autism.
brain-dump.org/blog/index.php
suckless.org/
cat-v.org/
gopher://bitreich.org
9front.org/

Fwiw I don't consider vim to be minimal and even vi is on the boarderline of following the unix philosophy, the earliest example of a unix that broke the unix philosophy in multiple areas is bsd (bill joy being the original author of vi and the leader of the bsd project until he left to start Sun). Whether that is still relevant is really up to you.
The brilliance of unix design is the ability to pipe the output of one program into another and for it to just work and text editors almost all break this for easy of use reasons.

>vis, Sam
As an emacs user, why would I ever consider switching to these? What unique benefits do they provide?

"As an emacs user"

Attached: 1551875910106.jpg (242x338, 16K)

"Epic" argument. I'm downloading Sam right now.

I don't know why you'd compare an operating system to text editors user.
I haven't used emacs but both sam and vis have very powerful regex tools and vis has customization using lua (rather than some one off configuration script like vim).
Honestly though the way you phraeed the question ends up being biased towards emacs. There isn't really any ground breaking feature that makes vis or sam "better"
The features that vis and sam have are their lack of "features." This makes them less bug prone, less likely to fail and easier to maintain. There are benefits to this that some people, my self included, prefer.
There is no real reason to switch if you like emacs you can stay with it.

Nano is best

Attached: 700.jpg (200x313, 10K)

ee is better

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg (550x550, 38K)

Which implementation of vi should I install?

proving his point aninigger

the emacs-lisp implementation