What kind of 4D chess is microsoft playing these days...

what kind of 4D chess is microsoft playing these days? they have a master scheme to get everybody who plays games back on their side again, I can smell it. But it looks so retarded right now, like
>release DX12 API for W7, a soon-to-be-discontinued operating system which they seem to want everybody to replace with 10
>start saying they love open sauce after competing with it for years, wasting the time to put competitor OS's on their distribution platform
>announce their most famous game IP on PC with support for said discontinued operating system, on a platform (Steam) that has been trying to take the monopoly out of their hands by re-orienting their service for linux since 2014
>slowly but surely diminishing legacy support and backwards compatibility on their PC operating systems (causing people to look elsewhere to run old PC software) whilst advocating for and making deals with other companies to make sure old games no xbox user cares about anymore work on the xbox one, while also making past exclusives available on PC, further removing any reason to buy hardware from them, in a day where you can use their latest operating system without paying a penny
seriously what the fuck are they on to here? does microsoft even know that they need to make a profit this year? or are they just crashing this plane with no survivors?

Attached: Microsoft_Canonical.jpg (829x415, 40K)

bump

They have no idea what they're doing so they're putting a single egg in every single basket they can find

They're pushing to make Windows: Linux Edition so that they finally only have to worry about what they actually care about (Azure)

I'd start sucking my enemies cock too if i was the gallows ahead. Their hope is to transition (heh) to open sauce for moni.

>they have a master scheme
you're giving them too much credit. A company as big as Microsoft is like herding 2,000 cats in a blimp hangar, it's almost impossible to keep everything going even vaguely in the same direction.

Bump

Microsoft is more profitable now than they have ever been.

If they can make their services available to open source, they can capture more market share. They bet since much of the processing power is shifting to cloud services, they can focus on making applications that anyone with a PC could and want to use. Why should what OS you use stop you from appreciating Halo, Microsoft office etc.? Their lineup of hardware is just the boutique shop.

The way Microsoft ruled the market in the 80s-00s is over. They need to diversify and this is how they're choosing to do it. I think within 10 years you'll see them release a consumer operating system built on top of the Linux kernel.

embrace extend extinguish

This isn't a problem on GNU/Linux

E X T E N D E D
X
T
E
N
D
E
D

Attached: 1551381775020.png (1007x139, 30K)

Does anyone actually use WSL besides for novelty purposes? I've never seen any developers or pentesters actually use that for real work.

Because none of things actually matter for Microsoft's bottom line anymore. Microsoft is a different business compared to several decades ago. Azure is what they care about now and it's what makes them money. All the things you described are purely to create a positive image and build trust between Microsoft and people who have historically been extremely sceptical of Microsoft's intentions.

The company has never been more profitable and purely from an investment point of view they've done a great job in turning boat around once the change in leadership happened between Ballmer and Nadella.

Should they be trusted? That's up to you to figure out. No company is ever your friend, everything is always to ensure the company's survival and profitability.

>what kind of 4D chess is microsoft playing these days? they have a master scheme to get everybody who plays games back on their side again, I can smell it. But it looks so retarded right now, like
>>release DX12 API for W7, a soon-to-be-discontinued operating system which they seem to want everybody to replace with 10
Someone in upper management finally had enough sense to stop using DX as upgrade bait. Now it still has a chance (albeit small) of not getting fully sidelined for other APIs and SDKs after generations of faffing about and neglect.
>>start saying they love open sauce after competing with it for years, wasting the time to put competitor OS's on their distribution platform
It's the only way they're going to lose their old stigma of Megalith Microsoft. They lost entire generations of programmers to Google and Sun. They have to pander somehow.
>>announce their most famous game IP on PC with support for said discontinued operating system, on a platform (Steam) that has been trying to take the monopoly out of their hands by re-orienting their service for linux since 2014
There is no goodwill to be fighting with Valve, and doing so would attract attention of the antitrust regulators again.
>>slowly but surely diminishing legacy support and backwards compatibility on their PC operating systems (causing people to look elsewhere to run old PC software) whilst advocating for and making deals with other companies to make sure old games no xbox user cares about anymore work on the xbox one, while also making past exclusives available on PC, further removing any reason to buy hardware from them, in a day where you can use their latest operating system without paying a penny
You don't understand the implicit lifecycle of support. Just because you bought something off a store shelf doesn't mean that the company that makes it will support it for the rest of eternity. Microsoft was pretty upfront about their traditional Windows support life cycle.

Attached: 1553002913268.jpg (427x427, 78K)

My dad went to a Microsoft conference a few weeks ago. What you guys are saying about them changing their focus to Azure is true, they're even going to include a Windows license in the subscription for free. They're restrategizing. My dad also wouldn't shut up about the cloud, seems to be their other focus.

I don't like the way the future is looking.

You can run a website stack on it pretty easily. It's good for web dev.

I use it with mingw instead of msys2.
Also to build QEMU and some cross-compilers.
I can actually do embedded development on Windows without going insane now.

>They're pushing to make Windows: Linux Edition so that they finally only have to worry about what they actually care about (Azure)
I wish they would hurry up and give up on the windows kernel. A MS linux distro with windows program compatibility for normies and corporate users would be fine.

>Stock at all time high.
>40 billion away from 1 TRILLION market cap.
>Le Microsoft is doomed.

It would literally be ZorinOS 2; more botnet edition.

the real money is in cloud infrastructure and enterprise software, and oem OS. compared to that retail sales, games, etc.. are almost nothing.

> >release DX12 API for W7, a soon-to-be-discontinued operating system which they seem to want everybody to replace with 10
Force devs to make games DX12-only: less work, same OS support now and only win10 support in the near future. In short, they want devs to throw their audience out of the window in 2020.
> >start saying they love open sauce after competing with it for years, wasting the time to put competitor OS's on their distribution platform
It makes sense to sacrifice Windows if they want to save MS SQL share, for example, as MS SQL is more expensive. Right now some companies switch from Windows while keeping their MS stack.
> >announce their most famous game IP on PC with support for said discontinued operating system, on a platform (Steam)
Same with paragraph 1, they need Win10 installs.
> >slowly but surely diminishing legacy support
They cut it since Vista or so. You can't expect any company to support legacy for an indefinite amount of time, and if this is the only reason for a company to exist, it may cease existing when everybody will migrate to leaner products, accepting shorter development cycles. That's why MS tries to keep up.

They're looking to make their next operating system, simply called "Windows" free to use.

If they're gonna do this shit at least they could release some fucking drivers for the xbone controller over bluetooth on 7/8.1 but nah

Let's get into the mind of Pajeet, CEO of Microsoft.

>We make some money with cloud, therefore...
>LET'S GO ALL IN, BALLS DEEP ON CLOUD
>wtf.bmp.jpg
>Fast forward ten years
>After a decade of hacks, breaches, leaks, and being completely locked in proprietary clouds charging increasingly outrageous fees, customers start moving back to hosting their own shit
>Meanwhile Microsoft has sold gaming, mobile phones, and basically every non-Azure division under the leadership of Pajeet
>"See you suckers, I'm going back to India now"

Keep in mind that it's been going in cycles for decades, of central computers, to personal computers, then "network computers" (Sun) then mobile computing and now centralization again, until the pendulum starts moving back.

wait until they add WSL-specific api functions

All the money is in the cloud and subscriptions, even apple is doing the same thing (but way better, because they target dumb rich people not gamers).

>I've never seen...
Which doesn't mean anything.

What's really bizarre about this line of thinking, which may actually reflect their strategy, is that it doesn't really work out that way.
>positive image and build trust between Microsoft and people
is increasingly deteriorating, with consumer products being phased out right and left, and the main one, Windows, being a shitshow it is.
It's like they want to abandon consumer products entirely, which isn't a great thing for brand awareness or literally anything else.
If it doesn't work for me everywhere throughout my life, and it doesn't even really work great in the enterprise either, why bother with it at all and not drop it entirely. Abandonware company, host for linux boxes? Okay.

Is Azure good?

since like 2010 microsoft's only purpose is to sell office licences, anything else is just reinvesting pocket money to keep jobs alive or something

It's only behind AWS and Google Cloud in terms of market share, but it's still pretty damn popular. Haven't used it myself, though.

this. that Jow Forums does not know that nutella turned the profit making part of microsoft into corporate and cloud computing so they can give endusers a slack life instead of milking them of money in a time usable linux and mac fandom exists, is worrying.

azure is way in front of google and en par with aws at this point.

Attached: aws-azure-google.png (730x492, 43K)

So did Microsoft finally get smart?
What are your peedictions for the future, Jow Forums?

Google's Scala will probably run the games in W7 if they don't run in Linux.

It's called Stadia.

Whatever. Not like I'm going to use it.

What is the cloud? I’ve heard this term thrown around so many times I have no idea what it even means anymore. Every job REQUIRES AWS or Azure nowadays but offer absolutely 0 detail into what actually occurs.

Is it just a way to provide off site hardware? Haven’t hosting companies been doing this for eons? I’ve tried searching for answers but I’m having a hard time understanding the Pajeets on Quora and Medium articles.

cmder bloat is enough for me for nix-like feeling, while still being part of the botnet

A lot of software companies are trying to make a big push to get hardware out of consumers hands.. They want total control of the user experience down to the hardware used, which isn't inherently bad but theoretically losing a freedom of choice never sits well with people.. This is why you see all the hardware companies gearing their new CPU/GPU's to the data center market with scalability being the new big selling point, AMD being able to use the same CPU architecture for desktop/mobile and datacenter are no coincidence

They tried since the beginning to lock people into their platform, just like any other tech giant does, but besides desktop Windows they've mostly failed and even that is slowly unraveling.

So now they are in this weird position where they still want to lock you in but still have to support compatibility with competitors or people wouldn't use their platform

managing serverracks full of other peoples data and services.

Do not confuse throwing shit at a wall and hoping it will stick as some grand Machiavellian scheme.

Microsoft has become so big you have different people in charge each wanting something different, they're basically operating in a very schizophrenic way.

not really. nadella realized that it makes no sense to have everything within the windows team, so azure and office and mobile became individual departements. that was a pretty good move.

That's why I fucking asked you chode.

It's been really fucking weird because this whole Microsoft business is sort of making me drift further and further apart from my dad in terms of how we agree about things. He's always been a pretty huge Microsoft/Intel shill since he gets contracted to work for them and he always flies out to conferences and new certifications. Watching him defend their business practices makes me sick to my stomach. Even gaming, he thinks the microtransaction system that's taking over the entire market is completely fair because "Well everyone can pay to get better items, right? So it's their choice, they can choose if they want to pay more or not" defending things like loot boxes saying that countries trying to do something about it are attacking consumer freedom, no matter how egregiously manipulative the tactics are. Basically he's full balls to the walls "the market knows best" kind of guy and a complete corporate cocksucker. It's like a glimpse into their twisted money obsessed perspective. He does a lot of network security these days yet when I go to my parents' place he's got all these "smart" devices and services that he pays for that have ads up the ass and it gives me aids. I've been ad free on my own home network so going over there and hearing a random ad every 5 minutes really got extremely irritating after a while. 2 Alexas, a smart fridge, a smart thermostat, a bunch of stupid crap like that. He had NO idea what LTSC. He massively downplays huge issues when I'm talking about all the problems with Windows 10, citing user error and shit like that and making excuses for Microsoft. The only positive thing is that I showed him the version of LTSC I had where I skimmed it down even more to be super snappy and light on resources on a crappy laptop and he was impressed enough to say that he'll look into seeing if he can obtain some legal licenses for it, but he never got back to me about it. I want off this ride.

Attached: 1546383845208.jpg (800x600, 130K)