Why isn't there an open source mobile OS?

Attached: linux-mobile-os-670x335.jpg (670x335, 28K)

LineageOS

Android OS...

AOSP

is a botnet

Theres a ton. They get no hardware or carrier support.

firefox has one and ubuntu touch is there too, they are all shit. that indian company jio used a mod of the firefox touch os to sell millions of pajeets feature phones that can run watsapp and jewtube. thats how tseries became no.1

bitch lasanga xd

I mostly blame locked bootloaders.

but still open source.

There's no money in it.

UBports
Halium
postmarketOS
Maemo Leste

Android is open source but not available preloaded on any phones. Every single company right now gives you a closed source derivative of Android.
OP there are a shitload of open source mobile OSs though. Like LineageOS, crDroid, etc.

Hi leddit

You mean Android? The most popular OS in the world?

by popular, do you mean most liked? because thats windows.
if you mean most widely used, then that's minix.

you mean KaiOS?

No, in both senses Android, Linux, is the most popular OS.

next you'll say "i was only pretending to be retarded"

Stop posting, wrongo.

That's closed too

> Android is open source but not available preloaded on any phones
Yea, nobody says you automatically get an open source OS pre-installed. That's a different concern?

Install open sauce Android or Linux on your phone like you install Linux on your desktop machine. Problem mostly solved.

Let me know when I can buy a phone with it pre-loaded. It's not worth the effort otherwise.

There is no ARM hardware with open bootloader

>*blocks your path*

Attached: serveimage.jpg (2500x2500, 380K)

>KNOX
kys

But there are, just few?

Likewise, there are also pretty much no x86 with open BIOS preinstalled and most even don't allow one to be installed. Completely open firmware also is rare. I'm really not convinced your desktop/laptop computer are completely open sauce.

It's an minor concern in practice for most people since you're mainly running the OS and problems mainly come from not having control over that.

>What is a custom ROM
inb4 "Muh PajeetROM"

was about the bootloader, not the ROM.

>open source operating system
>still botnet

Attached: 1550064507812.png (2231x2466, 2.18M)

>Why
It mostly comes down to hardware manufacturers providing binary blobs and no source code to phone makers instead of getting drivers into the upstream Linux kernel. Noticed how Android phones have ancient "linux" kernels like version 3.2 or 3.6 or something like that? And these kernels frequently have a lot of other changes beyond just the drivers, so much so it's barely right to call them Linux kernels anymore. Of course, you can't have the source to these special kernels required for that hardware.

This problem gets much worse due to the wildly different SOCs and designs. There's x86-64 laptops from HP and Lenovo and Dell and Acer with different looks and screens and so on but on a chipset/CPU level they are nearly identical. It's not like you need a special version of Ubuntu or Windows for each. You just can't make a general-purpose OS which works fine on all phones.

Wow you are stupid

*blocks your path*

Attached: paspberry ri.png (2953x1645, 1.13M)

The bootloader on that thing is Botnet and shit, can't even boot from a USB and requires proprietary blobs to boot

lenovo vibe K5 plus have open bootloader without knox or similar shits

Android isn't a botnet but all the google apps that come installed and you can't remove are botnet

What are you guys running atm? I got a S9 a few days ago and put LineageOS 15.1 on it, haven't installed any proprietary apps yet but I also carry two phones atm. I think I will install LineageOS for MicroG to get MicroG preconfigured, but I'm also looking into /e/ OS which currently is still in beta but looks promising.

Attached: Screenshot_20190424-193755_Clover.png (1440x2960, 298K)

>mfw when I got an s9+ on the stock one ui rom and have had android 9 pie for a few months now.

Project treble isn't a meme

Attached: Screenshot_20190424-131455_Settings.jpg (1080x2220, 327K)

I can install LineageOS 16 but the builds are still unofficial and I felt like going with the official builds

Oof, the only reason I even dicked around with custom roms like lineage os in the past was so that I could get proper update support but now that OEM's have generally gotten their shit together I don't need them anymore.

Sailfish.

Said the guy who thinks windows is the most popular mobile OS.

Android is open source and people have spent years disecting it to create custom distros, and they're still not sure whether they've found all code that phones home to Google. It's so much of a botnet it's not even trying to hide it.

>phone isn't compatible with any open source OS
>too soon and too poor to make a frivolous upgrade

Attached: 1459545550140.png (639x485, 552K)

It's not fully open source, UI and some apps are proprietary.

Can you grab all the open source bits and then finish it off with open source replacements for those?

Why are they a thing on mobile but not computers?

Attached: 5a689cb300d0efa6028b4eda750563.png (750x563, 390K)

Because historically PC is open platform.
To put it simply google don't want to let your remove their spyware

PureOS.

soooo...

Android is a botnet

I'm running Lineage on my S8, installed it today, finally like using my phone again

Came here to say this!

The most popular mobile OS in the world is open source.

>To put it simply google don't want to let your remove their spyware
Google phones have an unlocked bootloader. It is hardware manufactures that lock their phones bootloader.