Falkon

Why don't you use the best browser?

Attached: screenshot.png (865x619, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

surf.suckless.org/
web.archive.org/web/20180511013027/http://blog.qupzilla.com/2017/08/qupzilla-is-moving-under-kde-and.html
kde.org/code-of-conduct/
digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what is this a fork of

>DuckDuck botnet

Attached: 3AF04C16-733D-4524-96F8-7ED4F43E1DFA.png (888x720, 308K)

>animetard

Its not a fork. Its built on top of QtWebEngine

>anime website

You realize DuckDuckGoose is just as closed source as Google, right?

So what?

Maybe. But it's still much less evil than Google

I already am

Attached: 2019-04-13_00-00-39_655x248_scrot.png (655x248, 54K)

modern software

>mfw it's a wrapper around chromium

Attached: 1546569868611.jpg (970x545, 771K)

Shame it can't inspect elements on a page like other browsers.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-25 QtWebEngine - Qt Wiki.png (774x277, 28K)

Do they have a code of conduct?

so this is like qutebrowser but without autism.

I was following qupzilla for ages and just when they were on the precipice of being usable they become a KDE project. I ain't installing your shitty fucking DE just to use a web browser.

Attached: yuck.png (600x550, 34K)

I use Midori because it respects my freedom.

wow tell me more about how chromium reskin 9230412803412394820348 is the greatest browser of all time

if to choose between duckduckgo and google, google will have much less interest in the data of such small people as we are. In fact, we are invisible to google while duckduckgo has much smaller userbase and so the interest in you will be much higher, respectively. If to use lesser evil, you just help it to become bigger evil. So the answer to your post is to not use any evil at all, otherwise you are just a hypocrite who cheats on his own mind and tries to simulate important activity without actually doing that activity, which I find to be pathetic and having no sense.

Attached: 1543773718084.jpg (400x399, 18K)

The KDE devs could just make a qt front-end for chromium and call it a day,

Attached: autism.jpg (900x900, 73K)

Are people just not capable of making non-Chromium browsers anymore? I ended up going back to Firefox just because I got sick of having to deal with Google's shit at every turn. Did we really get to where every open source developer is some memegender clown who is only capable of importing libraries but not capable of writing them themselves?

some guy made his own browser but googel sabotaged it. Same happens with firefox and even vivaldi, even though it's based on chromium. But they have money to get through it. New people do not.

Pedoweebs have their own containment subs, stay over there.Based, jewgle is evil.
Redpilled nonsense.

Chromium's engine is a distant fork of KDE's KHTML engine.

I mean, how fucking hard is it to write a web engine? What is the basic flow of a web engine as it parses the html, css and shit? A website is basically a program that tells the interpreter where to position elements on screen. I know it's not trivial to make a full fledged one (especially with all the 3rd party js cancer that come with sites these days), but it can't be rocket science. Fuck, uO basically modifies the "code" on the fly before it gets interpreted. I'm sure something could be gleaned from that.
What would be the best language to write one, portable to Windows and Lunix? I'm just a Python scrub with tkinter experience (don't judge, it's work-related), but I have my life enough to try making it a thing.

I'm out of the loop, how did they sabotage it?

I think Firefox used C or C++ last time I checked, but the last time I checked was also when I was in college and before Rust took off, so idk about now

How the hell do I disable history on this thing, and why are the tabs not integrated into the title bar?

>why are the tabs not integrated into the title bar?
Because it follows the KDE Human Interface Guidelines. Buttons in the titlebars are only meant for application-workspace interactions, not for application specific actions.

>how did they sabotage it?
They didn't give the guy DRM keys to play encrypted video.

What browser is it? I don't use drm content and trying to distance myself as much as possible from Google

fuck, Stallman warned us about this, didn't he

if it was for playing Netflix, you might as well not even try since IE has a stranglehold on them right now. I remember Hulu ended up putting out their own "browser" for themselves, I'm surprised Netflix hasn't done something similar yet.

>Because it follows the KDE Human Interface Guidelines. Buttons in the titlebars are only meant for application-workspace interactions, not for application specific actions.
Don't follow stupid guidelines. Holy fuck.

It's a KDE project, so it's an obligation of their devs to follow those guidelines.

High performance JavaScript is really, really hard, and necessary for modern web browsers because advertising companies drive the standards. If you don't have a fuckload of (((responsive layout))) JS and farm every file on your site out to one of 4 or 5 big CDNs, you can pretty much kiss your page rank goodbye.

Pleb

Attached: icecat.png (650x650, 177K)

merging the tabs with the titlebar is a shitty idea on linux anyway, having a thin titlebar and thin tabs looks better and is less cluttered

surf.suckless.org/

>I'm out of the loop, how did they sabotage it?
They didn't, he can still make a electron based browser (literally his plan). Keep reading.
He wanted the keys and the source to publish as open source. Of course google said no.

Example:
>request source code for windows from microsoft and tell them I'm publishing it as open source
>microsoft says no
microsoft sabotaged my os! Literally no way to make a os now!

>OpenSSL
ohnonono

requires qt

or webkit

>Build in adblock
Pretty sure they sold out

>they become a KDE project
afaik they didn't
they just use their hosting

>having titlebars to begin with
why not just using a tiling WM?

>GNU IceCat, formerly known as GNU IceWeasel,

but i do use pale moon

all it does is change the logo

it's also on .3 instead of .6 meaning no recent security fixes

Check their website. They state at least in five different places and also at the bottom of every page that they are a KDE project now.

The purpose of the titlebar is to display titles. This is not exclusive to tiling, stacking, tabbing, floating, etc., modes used by the window manager. Viewing titles is important when using tools like window search/switch lists which present a textual list of windows. If your window manager does not support titlebars, it is bad software.

it also prohibits you from use of blacklisted extensions like vimium. Yay freedom!

>the GNU IceWeasel package announced that the name would be changed toGNU IceCat from IceWeasel in the next release, so as to avoid confusion withDebian's separately maintained, unrelated rebranding of Firefox.

because it won't sync with my phone

if it did, I would very happily use it because firefox's touchscreen support on linux is very bad

See
Not the same project amigo

it cannot even play certain video

well, for starters, because I am not gay

Unlike KDE software like Dolphin, you can use Falkon with any DE without problems. You aren't just a petty package counter, who's afraid of some KDE dependencies, right?

Supporting HTML and CSS standards is the easy part. There are custom engines out there, which support just that.
JS execution is where the trouble starts, but it doesn't end there. There are tons of web standards and you need to support most of them to become a viable alternative to the current big engines. And once you've done that you have all your hands full with security patches and keeping up with the new standards, that get released regularly.

It takes big company to make a browser engine comparable to Blink and maintain it (i.e. not just forking an existing one and making minute changes while backporting patches).

Even they know that WebKitGTK+ is not a sane engine for a supposedly minimal browser.

proofs, please

>If to use lesser evil, you just help it to become bigger evil.
Holy shit this is retarded

How do you think they pay for all their ads? Why would they pay for advertising at all?

How is Chrome not the best browser?

lol, what type of retard uses Firefox in 2019, knowing what we know about Mozilla?

>I mean, how fucking hard is it to write a web engine?
A good webengine that actually works and is efficient and so on? Very.

yikes.

But I do.
It's just slightly annoying that it's not that extensible yet.

they don't track you, doesn't mean they don't collect data at all.
there are plenty of valuable insights to be gained from looking at search data without assraping every single user for everything they're worth.

freetardism in a nutshell.

Chrome and Firefox pull more deps than falkon does. Like fucking cups. For a qtwebengine browser you need about 15 qt packages and that's basically it.

Attached: 1552394066424.jpg (600x813, 127K)

>I ain't installing your shitty fucking DE just to use a web browser.
You don't have to.
Tiling wm can have title bars and you can turn off title bars in stacking or compositing window managers and so on

so that's no proofs then

If it weren't built with webkitgtk+, which needs fucking ruby to build, I'd still use it.

>what type of retard uses Firefox in 2019, knowing what we know about Mozilla?
What sort of retard doesn't use Firefox, knowing what we know about Mozilla and Google? Mozilla is clearly, in every respect, the lesser evil here.

It has always been made with qt. So what's the matter? Qupzilla also was the official KDE browser.

Dank painting, fren

Attached: 1555004354413.jpg (858x1080, 123K)

>they don’t track you, they just collect all your data for undisclosed reasons
they probably just buy your profile from someone else and match it up after the fact, assuming they ever really honoured your privacy to begin with

Attached: EE0A76E7-29E7-40CE-B31B-8FA375EF9C04.jpg (809x440, 89K)

This is false.

This is wrong, they did actually become a KDE project (but yes, the effective change is that they're now using KDE hosting for Wiki, bugtracking etc)
>I'm happy to announce that QupZilla is becoming a KDE project!
web.archive.org/web/20180511013027/http://blog.qupzilla.com/2017/08/qupzilla-is-moving-under-kde-and.html
>Qupzilla also was the official KDE browser.
It was? If this is true I can't find any official or inofficial confirmation for this

>best
>slow
>buggy
>crashes
>no extensions
Face it, we'll never get away from using Firefox/Chrome.

You're free to provide your list of things that Mozilla does that make it the bigger evil. The two biggest (or rather the ones people in here focus on), botnet and social justice, Google is worse on both. So what are some of the things where Mozilla is the worse one?

@70685564
>subs
kill yourself

> ftp.mozilla.org
wrong

Asking the important stuff, user, good job!

But... Can someone reply to this, please?

Well same as almost any large project, yes they do. If you count KDE code of conduct, at least.
kde.org/code-of-conduct/

because it's qt and qt is hot nigger shit.

...you.. you got like 95% of the way there but

HTML is done. Javascript is garbage, insecure, slow by design. JIT compiling has done great things, and web-assembly will do more, but ultimately the entire passive/stateless HTTP protocol is old and full of technical debt. Best to start over.

The reason there are so many web standards and edge cases is that this favours the browsers that support it (by creating it), increasing the workload.

Imaging being this retarded
digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html

Holy shit that's one garbage site, the donations for some diabetes breathing technique shit probably takes the cake though. Anyway, from what I gathered from this is that their claim is that it doesn't matter which browser you use, they're all the same because "hydra" and so on. Alright, not very credible claim IMO but it's a claim. But what exactly is the stuff that makes Mozilla actually worse than Google? Can you actually give any concrete reasons for considering them not just the same but worse?

What are some alternatives to using browsers?
youtube-dl has some kind of search feature, but I'm not sure how useful it is.
wget can get you the front page of a news website easily enough.
Basically, for most sites that just display content without need of interaction, it's down to how much of a web address you can memorise.

...Actually, now that I've tried it out, I've found that the html wget downloads still displays the links to articles, so you could conceivably browse without ever having to visit the site directly.
This wouldn't apply to places that require a login, though.

...Also works for youtube search results if you use the format:
wget youtube.com/results?search_query=KEYWORD
and add .html to the resultant file. It's pretty ugly, but you have video names, durations, the video ID, and occasionally even thumbnails.

>I've found that the html wget downloads still displays the links to articles, so you could conceivably browse without ever having to visit the site directly.
that's the same as what a web browser does
you could use a really basic browser like dillo to get the same thing, or even just install umatrix and have it block everything

You just invented web browsers lmao

The point is mostly to avoid using the current crop of browsers as much as possible. It may be a waste of time, but I'll find out if and when I lose interest.

Is there such a thing as a pdf/epub viewer that can also render offline webpages?

You think the artist knew what thumbnails would be in the future and made the painting that way on purpose?

I’m willing to bet money surf sucksmore

>Is there such a thing as a pdf/epub viewer that can also render offline webpages?
yea, a web browser
i think you need to do some research into what a web browser actually /is/

I installed it yesterday and it works surprisingly well.

Why arent you? clearly Opera Browser is supreme.

Attached: 1111.jpg (451x747, 118K)

Opera Turbo is FUCKING GONE with v60.0+