MIT

How far behind are we if we didn't go to a top school like MIT?

Attached: SICP.jpg (316x475, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/
teachyourselfcs.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the secret to knowledge is learning
pick up a book

at least we can live vicariously by watching MIT open courseware lecture

All academia has become such an institutionalized cesspool that any and all are effectively equivalent in terms of the actual education they provide. As long as it's a decent state school, you're fine. is correct.

I'm in Australia so I don't really know how that compares.
From what I have seen and the people I've talked to, It doesn't seem like I'm lacking much. But I don't know if people are being honest or not.

Its all relative. I found myself e-mailing a uni to ask about their online Math program. Then it dawned on me that I can just learn math from the internet.

I went to a top 3 Newsweek ranked university and you are pretty far behind user. Most of my classmates were doing DEQ and programming competitions in middle school.

All big universities became massive memes somewhere around the mid 90s. I think all the dumb ass college movies were the shark jump indicator for college culture.
If you're the kind of self driven person who would have excelled at MIT in the 70s, then you're actually probably better off at an unassuming state college these days. You'll spend less time doing bullshit, which leaves more time for learning actually useful things and experimenting.

if you didn't go to a top university it means you lack self-discipline. and how to expect a hand out just because you read chapter 1 of sicp.

Bitch you could spend millions and years going to freaking harvard, and it doesn't mean jack shit. The only thing stopping you from programming is yourself. Thank god there's no licenses or applications you need to submit to some "authority" before compiling some code.

Not at all, everything that MIT teaches can be learned on the internet for free. With college today you're just buying a piece of paper to increase the chance of landing your first job, in a merit based field like programming you don't even need the piece of paper.

>in a merit based field like programming you don't even need the piece of paper
Yeah, but for how long? Literal retards keep flooding into CS after getting booted from another degree. It only takes a nuclear meltdown before people start going "hmmmmmm if only we had a regulatory body to govern these retards who are now putting lives at risk due to their ineptitude..." Mark my words, it will happen some day.

I fucking hope so. It will legitimize the field. I would love to be able to tell my boss "fuck you, these requirements are unethical" and be absolutely guaranteed immunity because we both know I'm backed by the Allegiance of Professional Software Engineers. Our field needs some goddamn backbone, and teeth to follow through.

/thread

The opposite is happening in my country, for decades all companies (even small, shitty ones) asked for an engineering degree. As of lately (~10 years) more startups pop up and they can't afford to be that picky, just a "hello, solve this coding challenge and show me your CV experience" do that and get hired, more companies are doing this slowly but steadily.

A day will come here where even big tech companies completely dismiss degrees here, I have seen (and continue to see) more and more retards graduate from college constantly (mostly woomins who just flashed their boobs through college to get straight A's) and companies are starting to notice.

you can just learn on your own, the only thing unis have going for them is their cost so you'll be scared of failing and wasting all that money you put into it

An MIT graduate will fuck over a retard like you, not because of his MIT education but because of the fact that he was smart enough to get in there in the first place.

The only useful thing elite unis do now is high level of selectivity.

For most people and most career paths the school mostly doesn't matter... But for some it can mean almost everything. :/

>mit
>top school
pick one

ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/

You can look over MIT's lectures + assignments + tests + whatever else online and decide for yourself what you're missing out on. In my experience (as a student at an average state school) MIT courses do cover more material and are more theoretical, but they're not like on a completely different level or anything. There's only so many ways to teach undergraduate CS.

Attached: World-Smile-Day-HD-Images.jpg (750x476, 99K)

>The only useful thing elite unis do now is high level of selectivity.

And what they've always really been about... networking.

This.
The mit ocw / Stanford / caltech online courses are a blessing.
The other side of the sword is all those Indian lectures on YouTube

Attached: Indian_Carrier.png (1125x747, 1.32M)

How to be good at programming:
Read "C Primer Plus" to learn modern C and for intro to programming.
Do teachyourselfcs.com/ to learn everything essential for programming and at the same time try to get a math degree at university.
Now you can shit on any mit student.

All schools pretty much teach the same material in the same way you could learn them yourself via textbooks and the Internet. The only thing a top-tier school gives you is top-tier connections.

ANU?

t. computer science major
Some fields require niche expertise that pajeet can't pick up in 10 minutes from a youtube video. Many majors also require expensive equipment and labs in order to get hands-on experience with the subject matter.

>generalizing the post

My community college CS curriculum is absolute dogshit and MIT 6.000 intro with python is about a million times better.