Thinking about upgrading my rig with pic related

My current rig:
>ASUS Z270 PRIME
>Intel Pentium G4560

Is it worth getting a new rig or should I just get an i7 7700?

Attached: z390i9.jpg (2809x2500, 2.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/02/01/2-2-billion-accounts-found-in-biggest-ever-data-dump-how-to-check-if-youre-a-victim/#867186e48aee
toptengamer.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-intel-i7-7700k-1800x/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232225
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/01/actual-field-testing-of-spectre-on.html
techspot.com/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/
techspot.com/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/page3.html
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3887vs3958
twitter.com/AnonBabble

go with amd

This, SSD performance is literally cut in half on intel systems once you active the 30+ security mitigations. Not worth the 5% extra FPS in gaymes.

has meltdown even been usefully exploited in the wild to justify that level of trashing, the only discussion I've ever seen is just jerking off over proof of concepts that all look much more obtuse and require much more skiddo brain power than any tried and true social engineering attack

waste hyperthreading doesnt make shit on intel id go i5-7500 if you can get it for under 250

Well since you got that mobo+cpu combo wasn't that your original plan?

Upgrading your CPU is going to be cheaper than buying a completely new rig.
We're still going to need more details to help you chief.
What do you need your PC to do? If you build a new rig did you have plans for your current one?

rowhammer type attacks have successfully been able to pull passwords directly from the RAM via spectre and meltdown vulnerabilities. All it takes is a simple script so in this case YES, skiddo brain power is more than enough.

>rowhammer type attacks have successfully been able to pull passwords directly from the RAM via spectre and meltdown vulnerabilities.
yeah, but have they actually been used to any useful degree in a way that can be properly genericized and distributed to anybody? given the utter freakout on Jow Forums circles over these vulnerabilities, it's kind of weird that absolutely no widely publicized exploitation has occurred despite countless systems likely still being unmitigated.

recently I read a couple articles about attempts to exploit Spectre on affected PowerPC chips and it looked utterly worthless, and on some supposedly vulnerable chips it wasn't even possible at all, on others the POC needed so much computing resources that you could easily tell you were being attacked.

/thread

I have a 650W PSU and I recently bought a Scythe Mugen 5 heatsink+dual fan combo because I knew I was going to buy a high-profile CPU.

I'm currently looking at the AM4 rig with a 2700X and a x470 mobo, but that means I'd be spending around $400. Is it worth getting a new board+cpu or should I just upgrade the CPU?

I personally don't know how many years Kaby Lake can hold up for until it's obsolete, so I want to act on it now asap.

sorry I meant 750W PSU

why do you need to upgrade?

i have an older CPU that still is not limited

Wouldn't the i7-7700 cost almost as much?

>Pentium G4560
>why do you need to upgrade?

Yup, they've been spotted in malicious ads and generic malware downloaded by boomers (ie free xxx/vidya.exe). It's much worse on systems that have not been 100% patched as the scripts used in the malicious ads typically target multiple vulnerabilities other than spectre and meltdown. It's an absolutely shit show for intel right now, I heard they're desperately trying to hush pre and post mitigation benchmarks as much as possible. Just looking at linux 5.0 makes me want to hurl.

forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/02/01/2-2-billion-accounts-found-in-biggest-ever-data-dump-how-to-check-if-youre-a-victim/#867186e48aee

Attached: E8D1C5AC4D6B42239E31EB28DC7DEA86.jpg (1690x870, 137K)

whats wrong with it, exactly?

buying an i7 7700 (NOT the K version) would cost me $270 so I'm thinking I'd be better off buying that.

But then again we're talking about buying a high-end quad core whereas most people nowadays are running on hex-core CPUs, so I don't know if it's worth buying an almost obsolete chip for my board.

what specific examples do you have though, and who in their right mind would waste their time throwing meltdown/spectre exploits in a fake installer like that instead of something easy and less detectable like a keylogger?
>forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2019/02/01/2-2-billion-accounts-found-in-biggest-ever-data-dump-how-to-check-if-youre-a-victim/#867186e48aee
spectre and meltdown aren't mentioned anywhere in here

The anons are right just go with AMD, intel is just simply not worth it anymore. A lot of test out there skew FPS in favor of intel by giving AMD shitty RAM, 3000MHz CL15 is the slowest RAM I'd use with AMD. r7 1700 pretty much matches the i7-7700K with good RAM though the 2600X would get you 5-10% higher performance from clocks alone.

toptengamer.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-intel-i7-7700k-1800x/

Attached: Ryzen-R7-1700-vs-i7-7700k-Average-Gaming-FPS-Benchmark-1.jpg (750x410, 36K)

>spectre and meltdown aren't mentioned anywhere in here
Of course not but given how over 2 fucking billion accounts are now compromised online it's pretty safe to assume those scripts have spread like wildfire. I have one myself that I tested on an old optiplex and a brand new 8th gen i3 system my parents have and I was able to retrieve passwords directly from the RAM on both systems.

You don't have to believe me, google the scripts and try them out yourself. Just make sure to disable a few security mitigations before you try them out (fucking duh).

skip the quad core and save up for an octa core

This, the 2700X is about the same price anyway.

Right now is a REALLY REALLY bad time to go with kabylake desu senpai. Not sure about cannonlake tho though intel didn't change much between the two so pic related would most likely still apply.

Attached: kaby_lake_r_cdm6_4k_read_q32t1-100750182-orig.jpg (1159x697, 69K)

>Of course not but given how over 2 fucking billion accounts are now compromised online it's pretty safe to assume those scripts have spread like wildfire.
or... you know, a couple poorly secured massive conglomerate websites everyone used got breached. you do realize these kinds of things happen all the time and rarely require actual exploits to achieve, right? massive data breaches are nothing new and your assumption that spectre/meltdown is to blame is completely baseless.

honestly everything we've looked at so far has been vague or worthless, what passwords are you even talking about getting off of your parents' computer? what particular script did you use? it shouldn't be so hard to provide some concrete examples beyond "it's being exploited, trust me" if it's that pervasive.

it still just sounds like a bunch of bullshit to justify the hype and strengthen fanboy shilling for less affected platforms. looking for scripts that deal with grabbing a password out of memory all seem to be POCs exploiting some simple and well understood demonstration program to no practical end.

Like I said, don't take my word for it, google them them, disable mitigations, and run them to see for yourself. As much as I would love to just post them here in plain text I don't enjoy being on a list, all I can say is script kiddies around the world can use them and have. But again don't take my word for it.

Do gskill ripjaws kits with intel xmp work with AMD? Fast RAM is pretty expensive desu.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232225

bumping for this

Check the QVL of the motherboard you're getting. 2933MHz is pretty easy to achieve on 2nd gen ryzen though

thus far we've seen no real, definitive evidence of spectre or meltdown actually being exploited to any worthwhile degree, googling around shows a bunch of useless proof of concepts that mean nothing to real world usage, and you're not providing any meaningful examples yourself other than posting some random links about security breaches and just saying "spectre did it" with no evidence, and not providing any real examples with teh excuse of worrying about "being on a list" while discussing cyber security on a website that has been openly named and blamed as a font of political extremism and several mass shootings in the mainstream media. with all due respect, it sounds more like you're just trying to dodge the question.

it's a fun thing for cybersecurity enthusiasts to play with and speculate about, but nothing to really lose sleep or severely limit yourself over as an everyday user.

with that I'll leave it on an interesting note: here's one of the aforementioned articles on PPC exploitation from Cameron Kaiser that while showing results on the proof-of-concepts show how inconsistent and unreliable it is even if the attacker has a good understanding of the software they're targeting:
tenfourfox.blogspot.com/2018/01/actual-field-testing-of-spectre-on.html

Attached: 1543442900040.jpg (800x800, 45K)

skewed

Attached: 1555527390367.png (969x936, 82K)

Well that kinda sucks but thnx m8, honestly considering jumping off the intel boat desu.

skeweded

Attached: kekek.png (981x855, 126K)

skeeeeewed

Attached: wd2-intel-patch.png (706x311, 19K)

>using shitty RAM with AMD results in horrid FPS
No way man, tell me more.

Attached: Ryzen-gaming-memory-opt_1.png (641x483, 53K)

skud

Attached: 1555209411222.png (2259x1372, 1.87M)

liiiies

Attached: intel-i7-9700k-aco-1080p.png (892x879, 119K)

skuuuurd

Attached: 9400F vs 2700X.jpg (1926x947, 468K)

But buy AMD, It's faster.

>He does it for free.

techspot.com/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/

Attached: 1440p_MIN.png (1324x1665, 101K)

Buy AMD guy! Stick it to the man! You may get less performance but we like bein' different!!!

Attached: lol2.jpg (1644x795, 376K)

It's not worth the price. Get an ayy7 or ayyMD.

This was debunked as fake, Try again.

Source?

What's it like being BTFO by a last-gen Threadripper?

AMD is faster! Why would we lie friend?

Attached: csgo.jpg (1280x720, 277K)

Attached: 1551867439199.png (396x408, 165K)

Imagine needing 16 more threads to stay above a consumer desktop chip lol

>eye9 gets 2x more fps than ayyMD
What form of jewjitsu was needed to get these results?

I thought a 9900K was a house fire? 2700X can't even hit 4.3ghz without it leveling a city block.

Attached: 2700x burning.jpg (1663x625, 347K)

>MUH EXPONENTIAL

Less latency, This is what fanboys of shiter chip don't understand.

samefag

Just means your cooler is insufficient

If you say so

Attached: Screenshot_20190424-235146_Clover.jpg (381x466, 89K)

I guess you didn't see the wattage it's pulling at 4.3 niggahurtz

>"look mom, I can html edit like a big boy"

Yeah. It's well south of 200W. You do need a good cooler for it, but it's no Xeon Platinum.

>180w+

You can throw the efficiency right out the door at higher clocks, Holy shit.

It's in Clover, faggot. Shitty phone apps don't have an edit HTML function.

>461 vs 222 FPS
LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE

Lol all amd fags have is a screwed up benchmark from pre-patch. You should probably look at present tense benchmarks user.

Literally TWICE as smooth. Ryzen can't even keep up with a 240 Hz monitor.

>PERFORMANCE DOESN'T MATTER!

Eh hem...

Attached: 2990wx house fire.png (1321x1873, 89K)

see

EHHEM

Attached: 105876.png (650x337, 40K)

eh, that's not too bad. My 9900k hits 220w under avx small fft at 5ghz

Imagine a 5ghz 2700X. 220c

The 9900K is also doing AVX512 when it does AVX so if this wasn't a stress test it'd be showing much higher performance to justify that power consumption.
A 4.3GHz 2700X is just pure waste

Cough....

Attached: stock 3170.jpg (690x453, 77K)

avx512 is only available on intel hedt currently. Coffeelake S only has avx 2

>total system power consumption
>Xeon Platinum is not compared
That Xeon outperforms Threadrippers with more cores than it, at the cost of producing more heat than a small star.

Still over 300W just for the CPU at stock

Performance doesn't matter good sir.

I don't get it, why go with intel when you only get 5-10% higher FPS like on a fair objective benchmark like ? Wouldn't it make more sense to spend more money on the GPU?

t. just got tax return and going to build my first custom gaming pc

Attached: mF9Mn0l.jpg (1150x1266, 214K)

Reason why Ryzen is so cool when running it is because it does a terribly ineffective job at it.

Oh yeah you're right.
Which one is it that Intel has and AMD doesnt?
256?

Ryzen will bottleneck a good card so whats the point?

So what's a "good" card? They were using a 1080ti for the test.

Attached: BF1.png (1314x1192, 52K)

Who the fuck plays at 720p on a 1080ti?

nah it's because zen+ has a larger surface area to dissipate heat compared to 9900k's crammed cores

That's still 5-10% of the card not being used, Plus that's an AMD promoted game.

Actual throughput is less clock for clock comparably. Coffee lake is maxing out.

Ryzen has good perf/watt, it just doesn't have a good perf ceiling.
Also Intel perf/watt is pretty much neck and neck. The high temps are just a physics problem. die's too small for the heat its producing, it's hard to get the heat out of there.
We might start seeing direct die access in enthusiast CPUs as the years go by. Hopefully.

What site are these benchmarks coming from? I'm curious.

Of course no one does but the test is meant to go as objective as it can.

Is fortnite also an AMD promoted game?

Attached: Fortnite.png (1314x1192, 50K)

techspot.com/review/1655-core-i7-8700k-vs-ryzen-7-2700x/page3.html

Attached: Witcher.png (1314x1192, 53K)

I've always wanted to go bare die. The possibilities are awesome.

30+ benchmarks and you cherry pick and still lose.

Attached: FCP.png (1314x1192, 52K)

Attached: SE4.png (1314x1192, 53K)

Right but on average the difference at 1440p is 5-10% between the 2700X and the i7-8700K. Here I'll help you cherrypick on your side too.

Attached: SC2.png (1314x1192, 52K)

see

Why not 9900k? Same thread count.

None of those benchmarks specify what system RAM and timings were used so they're objectively worthless. I'm not even trying to shill for AMD, I just want a fair metric to compare processors with.

Because it's $500 and only 2-3% faster than an i7-8700K. I think intel released it as a joke desu.

Attached: TWS.png (1314x1192, 54K)

No you fucking idiot, you literally castrate yourself with that in terms of future upgrades. Buy a good x470 mobo and ryzen 1200. Upgrade to 3600x/3800x when you have money and you'll be golden for 10 more years

>Memory controller explodes.

I said that because Intel's advantage is much smaller at 1080p and disappears at 1440p

>zen 2 releases
>it clocks 10% higher
>memory latency issue still persists which makes it inferior in gaming comparisons against intel
>could've gotten an 8700k for better gaming performance instead

>buying an i7 7700 (NOT the K version) would cost me $270
>$270
At that price you might as well get a Ryzen 2600 and a motherboard and have 6 cores. Your Z270+G4560 uses DDR4 RAM so you can re-use that. If you don't need it immediately then consider that the Ryzen 3000 series is perhaps one month away. I am not saying you should buy that, unlike Intel AMD's typically sell older CPUs at a discount right before a new product launch. You might, depending on your area, find a deal where you get a 2700X and a decent motherboard for $270. Your question illustrates something I've found kind of annoying for basically decades, OP: You absolutely should be able to buy a i7 7700 for like $150, it's that old. But Intel has this policy of "full price on old chips forever" so there's never a bargain to be had even years later.

As always, it's just a matter of what would give you the most value. $270 for a i7-7700 isn't a good deal.

>Why not 9900k?
I see that shills who didn't bother reading OPs actual question have filled most of the thread with retarded fagtalk about the 9900k and other irrelevant bullshit. OP has a Z270 motherboard with a Pentium and a $270 budget for upgrading that system. The 9900k doesn't work in that motherboard and a 9900k+motherboard isn't close to that budget. Retarded shill fagtalk about irrelevant products don't help OP.

get ryzen 2700x and mobo of choice. it's slightly cheaper than the i7 and you should see better performance too. cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3887vs3958

i'm thinking about getting that 2700x myself (currently using fx-8320 chip lol)

Well preliminary engineering samples already outperform an i9-9900K in Nth cinebench so it's certainly worth waiting for imho.

get 1200 like user said and wait for zen 2 instead. i9-9900K performance for ~$200 is gonna be pretty based.

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_antonyleather_files_2019_01_bench.jpg (960x473, 30K)