Best programming resources

I’m 19 years old and Ijust graduated highschool, Im poor and want to learn programming, I genuinely want to create software.
I have caffeine pills and an adderall script.
My question is how the fuck do you start?
Ive been looking at the Odin project and it seems very hands on.
any resources you lads recommend?

Attached: CE2E39E6-9BA1-4948-A9C6-28F1BD74765A.jpg (1471x1041, 413K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
py4e.com/.
math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/javanotes7/.
mooc.fi/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ive checked out Jow Forums wiki should I just pick up a book and start reading?
I know this question gets asked a lot but god damn its overwhelming

Learn the basics of a language using a book and then when you think you have a grasp of the fundamentals learn some data structures and algorithms while tinkering around with a library.

There are million places to start, it just depends on what you want to do.
If you have no idea where to start, then pick a classic book like K&R to learn the very basics. You can also take a mooc like CS50 which is better if you need guidance. Then read a book (CLSR) or do a course on algorithms and data structures. Then learn a functional language before you get too stuck in the imperative only mindset; there is a good programming languages course on Coursera which will open your mind about programming.
After that you just have to specialize. There are a lot of technologies to learn, but don’t waste too much time on the disposable ones. Fundamental knowledge like how the internet protocols work, how your operating system works, how a databases work, and the basics of computer architecture and electronics will get you a lot further than learning a bunch of frameworks which will become unfashionable in a couple of years.

>any resources you lads recommend?

google and doing your own research

don’t fall for the C/K&R memes
Python is your best bet, learn it online cause it’s more interactive than reading a book

I wouldn’t recommend K&R for an absolute beginner

SICP
Python is for people who don't actually want to program

>an adderall script
man i wish i had adhd instead of autism

Attached: 1554248968644.png (470x556, 236K)

K&R is pretty easy to follow (anachronisms aside) if you have no expectations. C is easier to learn if you aren’t used to the convinces of Python or Java.

Don't start with languages, if you do that, you'll end as a python script kiddie, read about operating systems fundamentals, pic related, once you got a basic idea about computer architecture move to c++ and play with windows api and directx librarys
C = gods programming language
C++ = a slower version of C with helpful programming abstractions
Python = garbage

Attached: modern-operating-systems-latest-in-line-with-answers.jpg (1500x1500, 422K)

c++ is garbage. start using that and you end up using lists, then transforming that to vectors, then transforming it to hashmaps ask the while passing them along as values, yes c++ passes huge fuck data structures around by value as default, and I've seen people do this in production,
while you could have done the same thing in c with a simple array
the one thing i like from c++ is the & data type doesn't get comfier than that

wow we really need this thread every day, don't we

Python is a good starting point and has a big role in the job market

summer is around the corner
also some people think it’s easy to be a programmer

No one is going to hire you just because you know a bit of python. You first need to develop a solid foundation upon which to acquire the skills which will make you employable. C is a good starting point, JS is probably the second best.

Not him, but CS50 is the one that's on youtube and twitch, right? I watched a random video of them and they couldn't do simple program like printing prime numbers. Are they even legit?

So you want to learn programming?

Pick a starting language. For beginners, there are generally two recommended "programming families" that you can choose to start learning:
-Dynamically typed/interpreted programming languages, such as: Python, Perl, Ruby
-Statically typed/compiled programming languages, such as: C, C++, C#

These are amongst the most popular languages in use worldwide, including 4 from the top 5. Both approaches are perfectly fine, and well-documented.
-Dynamically typed programming may be a bit more flexible, convenient, and forgiving. It is more popular in academia.
-Statically typed programming is a bit more suited for making general applications. It is more popular in industries.

Cannot decide? Flip a coin.

If you choose statically typed/compiled programming, you may want to start with C, then pick up C++. C is very well documented, and teaches many universal programming concepts. C++ is based on C, and adds new concepts. Sources:
For C:
The C Programming Language (K&R)
C Primer Plus (Prata)
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c-tutorial.html
learn-c.org/

For C++:
learncpp.com/
cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
cprogramming.com/tutorial/c -tutorial.html
en.cppreference.com/
isocpp.org/faq

If you choose dynamically typed/interpreted programming, you may want to start with Python. It is very easy to pick up. Here are some good sources:
learnpython.org/
codecademy.com/en/tracks/python

>BUT I WANT MORE SOURCES!
Read: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!
Sure, if you like. But the languages above are considered good for beginners.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE A COOL WEBSITE!
Learn HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE iPHONE GAMES!
Learn Objective C and/or Swift.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE ANDROID GAMES!
Learn Java.

>BUT I WANNA MAKE PC GAMES!
Learn patience.

I didn’t say that one has to know a bit of python to get hired, all I said is that it’s a good starting point because it’s a scripting language
but yeah it doesn’t matter what language you choose to be a starting point, all you have to do is understands the comcepts and principles and after that all of it becomes syntax with additional features and functionality

where’s php? or the hating php meme still a thing?

I love you, thank you.

also doesn’t Jow Forums use php or am I wrong?

C++ is godawful, don’t bother with it unless you want to hate your career. Take Torvalds’ advice here and keep it at a distance whenever possible.

>>>BUT I WANNA START WITH [language x] INSTEAD!

Attached: brjvnpscnrp21.jpg (576x768, 65K)

Since you're strapped for cash.
Read and do this, py4e.com/. The coursera certification is not necessary to access it. Then you can get into actual comp sci.
For basic java, there's Eck's javanotes. math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/javanotes7/.

>learn programming
>a starting language
>For beginners
>start with C
>start with Python
Why would I, a sane person with IQ>65, recommend PHP as a starting language for beginners to learn programming?

CS50 is Harvard’s intro CS class. You can take it online for free.

mooc.fi/en/

Java is garbage but that is a good starting resource, after that get into functional programming ASAP

Just be careful with the pills dude

What's a good starting point for learning functional programming? Should I brush up on my maths too?

Not really. You just need
To be comfortable with recursion and the difference between statements and expressions.