Would you be able to work comfortably with just 512 MB of RAM?

Would you be able to work comfortably with just 512 MB of RAM?

Attached: 1555175816417.gif (500x281, 691K)

I wouldn't be able to work comfortably with 4 GB of RAM

i can work on my orangepi zero, yes. can't browse bloated websites with it, though.

>can't do anything unless 64GB of RAM
>complains about programs using 128MB more RAM than they should
based Jow Forums

kek

yes i can work with 512mb
>cant load websites
uh, n no its bloated my rams fine
>seething
if you have to avoid certain activities to keep below acceptable usage, guess what: It doesnt work for you retard.

Attached: 1520205870907.jpg (500x281, 43K)

A few months ago I would have said yes but now with 4k video editing and truckloads of raw photos not anymore.

Photoshop needs 16GB for focus stacking 40-120 images. Preferably 32GB and a dedicated scratch disk.

no, I use up to 20-30GB in one program alone

It depends on what you’re calling work. Virtually almost everything would still be doable with only 512MB of Ram with the right software and for the right activities, you’re not going to edit 4K video that’s for sure, but you could do a lot of things.

Sure it only takes about 50 to get on Jow Forums in a comfy riced uzbl

Attached: 54MB.png (1280x800, 129K)

My seedbox isn't comfortable with that.

ok, gamer. i only really edit config files and run a web server on it but if i wanted to i could write something like for Jow Forums and other imageboards and use mpv+youtube-dl for youtube etc etc. sbcs are pretty good at that. granted, you won't be able to browse faceberg or r3dd1t but who gives a shit about those?

No, I had huge problems on one of my shitboxes with 2gb. I had to upgrade to 4.

user I'm a total minimal RAM autist, but I've never seen this before. What distro/setup is this?

Arch, awesome wm, uzbl web browser, and rxvt-unicode

Awesome is pretty bloated as far as tiling wms go, I think it uses like 10 MB RAM on its own but it's so comfy

Weird, I'm on Void and I3, and I still use up about 170mb RAM idle :/

Same user here, here's my memory usage. How come your Xserver uses so few RAM?

Attached: 2019-04-25-181812_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 1.19M)

depends. 8gb ram for office work stuff. 16gb+ ram for resource intensive stuff

You're probably using disgusting 64 bit OS for starters, alongside all that bloatware like polkit and NetworkManager

conky is kewl

Attached: 2010-01-20-181356_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 1.38M)

user please enlighten me why 64 bit uses more from the get go. Also I'm not sure what polkit is, and what would be a good alternative to NetworkManager? wpa_supplicant?

512 MB was too little for me in 2005, I updraded to a whopping 1536 MB that year.

>64 bit uses more from the get go
it has more bits. Storing a single number takes 64 bits instead of only 32 so you effectively double your memory usage
And yes, wpa_supplicant and ifconfig/iwconfig with dhcpcd or dhclient would be less bloat than NetworkManager. I am NOT a minimal fag any more though, and I say if something provides you utility it isn't bloat. I was just a poorfag back when I took those scrots and only had 512 MB RAM so I was a minimalfag by necessity.

A:LSO the more memory you have the more your system will use. So it's easier to use little RAM on a system with little RAM
ALSO ALSO those scrots I posted were from like 2010, software just uses more memory now

install minimal distro if you want to browse use lynx..

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-25 19-33-02.png (1920x1080, 414K)

What uzbl do you use? As far as I know the main uzbl repository hasn't been updated in ages. Is it one of those "it's finished just link against the latest version of the libraries" deal or are you using a fork or what?

Attached: confused virtual youtuber.png (1918x1080, 1.62M)

>Would you be able to work comfortably with just 512 MB of RAM?

Considering my work consists of 3D modeling and animation which can be notoriously RAM heavy, I wouldn't be able to work at all.

in the first four lines of your post, your greentexted lines should be black and your black lines should be greentexted.

I think with surf instead of firefox I could do that pretty easily.

this looks like a poor man's windows 10

My Gentoo used 100 MB with a web browser open. I had 1024 MB and they were enough, but I guess I would have encountered problems compiling packages with 512 MB only.

>ubuntu
>compiz
>unity
>htop
>minimal

it's minimal because it uses lynx

in 2008 I could edit couple of 2000px PSDs in PS CS2, browse bunch a of sites using Oprah and talk on Skype at same time on sony vaio pentium 4 laptop/oven 512 meg windows xp horsepower

what happen?

Attached: 8488113997_102a063eea_o.png (830x681, 1.11M)

>firefox right up top in htop

i can even work with 112 MB of ram

On my old laptop that's only for writing and just running tty most of the time? Sure. On my main PC? No.

Attached: 1530951608299.png (1280x720, 448K)

Considering 7 had just been released, the poor man was well ahead of his time.

stancer rat car........i yeeted myself from this thread

Attached: OK Bro - Samvah Pisual.jpg (1357x1001, 198K)

I have a pc i'm running Xfce Debian on with 3gb, and while its usable, try to open more than a few things and it grinds to a halt.

8gb should be the defacto for a non-gaming/workstation pc, and 16+ otherwise

If by "work" you mean do the normie and read comfy threads on Jow Forums while I listen to music and chat through Discord... no.
Right now I'm using 1 GB of RAM mostly shared by the Windows OS, Firefox (5 Jow Forums tabs, 9Anime and Discord), AIMP and ShareX.

just lol I'm basically never ever below 20GB thx satya

Attached: Microsoft-CEO-Satya-Nadella-Cricket-1.jpg (853x1280, 94K)

challenge accepted

Nigger I would be happy with 64K of RAM.