OpenBSD 6.5 is out, install it NOW!

If you're running an insecure legacy OS like Windows or a Linux distro, it's time to upgrade. OpenBSD even has Steam support now, look up Mr. Goldberg's Steam emulator.

Why saddle yourself with a poor Unix clone like Linux or OS X, or a poor clone of VMS like Windows, when you can have a real actual Unix system?

Attached: Puffystock.gif (681x1029, 195K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/only-a-few-days-old-openssl-fork-libressl-is-declared-unsafe-for-linux/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because for the vast majority of users, "secure by default" doesn't even come close to justifying OpenBSD's horrific performance.

GNU/Linux is under the hood, but if there's one thing freetards can do well, it's make shit run fast.

Most of the bitching about OpenBSD's performance was from when Firefox was slow because it was polling the system clock like 200 times per second. That was fixed years ago.

I have it installed on my X201s and it runs as fast as Linux did.

>quick easy painless install
>comes with super light weight window manager and own version of X which has many security enhancements
>3D drivers for Intel and AMD work great out of box, NVIDIA of course sucks ass on every platform
>almost everything which runs on Linux runs on OpenBSD
>no System D cancer
>best audio subsystem out of any OS, Free or not
>actual man pages for everything, no need to go forum diving to figure out issues
>code base has actually gotten slightly smaller over the last couple years as cruft is thrown out
>stable system, kernel and OS updates can be installed without rebooting with syspatch

Meanwhile in Windows and Linux land...

Attached: microsoft-loves-linux-1.jpg (1600x900, 121K)

The install has really gotten better (easier) over the years. I remember just trying to figure out how to install OpenBSD it took me forever some years ago. Now it's basically just press return a couple of times.

>OpenBSDunces BTFO

Attached: 1556190371049.gif (360x360, 2.46M)

>3D drivers for Intel and AMD work great out of box
Last I checked they didn't even have plans to port amdgpu

There are of course still many brainlets who think it's too hard because you can't click on things with the mouse but OpenBSD has a no brainlet policy.

>last time I checked
Must have been years and years ago...

Attached: puffy65.gif (599x199, 46K)

No, like a couple months. They only just recently ported radeonsi or something.

>Why saddle yourself with a poor Unix clone like Linux or OS X, or a poor clone of VMS like Windows, when you can have a real actual Unix system?

macOS is real UNIX.

Sounds like you're not very well informed. When do you think AMD GPU 3D support was added in? Just curious.

OS X is Unix Certified by the Open Group but nobody cares and they still haven't implemented some POSIX functionality. But there's totally animated emojis for women now!

>no trim support
>no nvidia support
>amd gpu support requires blobs and only old shit is supported
>programs in official repo can be counted on 2 hands

Attached: holy-indian-java-guru.jpg (450x399, 140K)

There are thousands and thousands of packages and over ten thousand ports, Pajeet. Also, trim hasn't been needed for over a decade, and NVIDIA is for gaymertards.

Sounds like you don't realize that I'm referring to amdgpu, the linux driver every amd gpu from recent years uses, not general amd gpu support. Some of them can function with the older radeondrm, but they shouldn't, since it's not developed anymore and doesn't support a lot of stuff.

TRIM isn't wear leveling.
>NVIDIA is for gaymertards
>over ten thousand ports
cope
>There are thousands and thousands of packages
nope

Sounds like that's more of a problem with AMD than with OpenBSD.

Currently there are 8219 OpenBSD packages for amd64, and thousands more ports which aren't packaged, my good fair RedHat and or Google employee.

>we have no plans to port drivers from this decade
>hurr it's amd's problems
And that's openbsd users for you.

OpenBSD users aren't really into gaymen and are smart enough to obtain supported hardware.

...and most of those are latex packages or obscure language libraries

>xhe just has to lie because xhe has no actual points to make
It's obvious that you don't want people using an actual secure OS, but why? Are you a glownigger? You type like one.

Then why are you advertising
>3D drivers for Intel and AMD work great out of box
When it's actually "well 5 year old stuff works alright"

>OpenBSD
>"actually secure"
Maybe if you don't install any packages except the ones that are included in the base system. Just FYI: any third party packages get far less testing than on linux distros and you won't get support for anything not written by the openbsd developers themselves

For those users lame enough to install OpenBSD on a machine without a supported AMD driver there's always the Intel GPU option.

>third party packages get far less testing than on linux distros
What else can you pull straight out of your ass though?

openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
>The ports collection does not go through the same thorough security audit that is performed on the OpenBSD base system. Although we strive to keep the quality of the packages high, we just do not have enough resources to ensure the same level of robustness and security.
> The OpenBSD ports team considers packages to be the goal of their porting work, not the ports themselves. In general, you are advised to use packages over building an application from ports. Security updates are the exception to this rule, as they are only available via ports. Binary packages for -release and -stable are not updated.

>OpenBSD x220.local 6.5 GENERIC.MP#3 amd64

Feels good, works good, looks good.

Attached: 1517251416908.gif (300x297, 326K)

So install one of the 8219 packages and don't mess with the ports system?

That quote is not about the ports system, my dear friend

Yes it is, you need to learn to read more thoroughly.

>install Iridium and run with --enable-unveil
>suddenly the glowniggers get angry

> There are many applications one might want to use on an OpenBSD system. To make this software easier to install and manage, it is ported to OpenBSD and packaged. The aim of the package system is to keep track of which software gets installed, so that it may be easily updated or removed. In minutes, a large number of packages can be fetched and installed, with everything put in the right place.

Ports here clearly refers to any third party package.

>For those users lame enough to install OpenBSD on a machine without a supported AMD driver there's always the Intel GPU option.
We have the best free video drivers ever created in the form of AMDGPU, but
OpenBSD refuses to implement them. Even NETBSD has AMDGPU now. If NetBSD ever gets modern WINE support, it will be the best BSD.

OpenBSD still can't multithread properly...

>he doesn't realize that ports and packages have distinct meanings in BSD land

>he needs Windows "apps" so he can do 3D gaymen

>certain functions of the kernel aren't multithreaded because it's difficult or impossible to do it securely
>this means that it can't do multithreading "properly"

>he has to either use outdated insecure packages or unsupported ports

>every folder must be put on its own partition just like unix did 50 years ago reeeeee

>>he needs Windows "apps" so he can do 3D gaymen
I mostly just wanna play visual novels and other stupid shit like that. regardless, what's your excuse for coping about a blatant lack of features that are necessary for a modern operating system?

Everything I need is supported though. What obscure software do you need that isn't in packages already?

If all you want to do is play visual novels run a VM and play them in there.

Obscure stuff like wine and nouveau

Nice cope and question dodge there. Now, I will ask again, and hopefully you will answer the question now:
What's your excuse for coping about a blatant lack of features that are necessary for a modern operating system?

OpenBSD does not support VMs unfortunately. Only Bochs is supported.

What OpenBSD is:
>glownigger proof
>minimalist
>other than NetBSD, the last True Unix standing
>designed for people who know what they're doing

What it isn't:
>a gaming OS
>an OS that is designed for people who need hand holding
>an OS that rushes to implement every experimental idea and push it out to everybody

In this day of the glownigger and the corporate surveillance stooge, it pays to have good OS security. And nothing is as secure as OpenBSD even for casual web browsing.

Tell me how to fix the obscene screen tearing in mpv on OpenBSD 6.2 that I haven't used in over a year first.
No tearing on GNU(+linux), using intel graphics.

Also, tell me how to make trackpoint scrolling work.

So you're telling me I can't use my Nvidia card

>he's into gaymen

I don't need any of the features I'm apparently missing. I'm not into games and I don't use any Bluetooth devices so OpenBSD does everything I need.

>he doesn't know that OpenBSd's had virtualization for a while now and that it's better than anything on Linux or Windows or even Slowlaris.

Attached: 1532626870644.jpg (1200x813, 107K)

>Why saddle yourself with a poor Unix clone like Linux or OS X, or a poor clone of VMS like Windows, when you can have a real actual Unix system?
Because it's ancient shit with terrible software support?
I'm waiting for DragonflyBSD to evolve.

xinput set-prop "/dev/wsmouse" "WS Pointer Wheel Emulation" 1
xinput set-prop "/dev/wsmouse" "WS Pointer Wheel Emulation Button" 2
xinput set-prop "/dev/wsmouse" "WS Pointer Wheel Emulation Axes" 6 7 4 5
xinput set-prop "/dev/wsmouse" "WS Pointer Wheel Emulation Inertia" 1
Put that in your .xsession or .xinitrc

Attached: kdhduwwkn5g01.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

>nvidia and wine are only for gay men
C O P E

OpenBSD is good, but can Jow Forums give NetBSD some love for once?

>supports all major languages
>supports all major open source applications
>has vm capability for that one obscure Linux program you apparently need
>is much more secure
>no Poetteringware whatsoever

Will do when I get home. Thanks.

>calling containers """VMs"""
Embarrassing.

>OpenBSD projects are more secur-
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/07/only-a-few-days-old-openssl-fork-libressl-is-declared-unsafe-for-linux/

Make a thread some time. This thread's a celebration of the continued success of the OpenBSD project on their milestone 6.5 release.

Attached: ju79wa01t9mz.png (1024x638, 224K)

>declared unsafe for Linux
>for Linux
well there's your problem, using a fake Unix ginned up by Microsoft and Google will lead to security issues of course

>>has vm capability for that one obscure Linux program you apparently need
Considering laptop is my primary machine, VM is a great fucking solution.
This shit doesn't even support the charging thresholds on my thinkpad, only on the ancient ones.
>is much more secure
Arguable.
>no Poetteringware whatsoever
Just like in my Void Linux distribution.

Have you seen TexLive version for OpenBSD?

>Contrary to information de Raadt provided Ars, no CVE was assigned to the bug.
Basically OpenBSD has no bugs because they don't admit there are bugs. Nice honest OS.

Attached: YOBA very comfy.jpg (512x512, 34K)

how’s battery life compared to debian or fedora?

There's no power management.

It fully supports the APM spec which is still the best supported power management scheme on Intel despite ACPI being around for twenty years. So you get demand-based automatic CPU speed adjustments. Display power is taken care of by wsconsctl. Overall it Just Werx.

>APM
You mean that thing that was outdated in 1999. Nice.

I know that openbsd has worse power management than Linux in previous versions. If they support the best spec then I’m assuming the battery life is better than linux now? My laptop is fully supported by openbsd and has intel integrated graphics.

Deprecated, but it's more reliable and works across a much broader range of machines than ACPI. APM is still supported in even the most modern Intel machines, as well.

>works across a much broader range of machines than ACPI.
Yeah, it works on a lot of pentium 1 boards! Great!
Does it support S3 suspend? Who cares!

Well it will support demand-based CPU throttling, but some stuff like powering off USB devices or the audio device might not be supported.

Here's how it looks with a blown out old battery on my X201:

Battery state: high, 99% remaining, 285 minutes life estimate
A/C adapter state: not connected
Performance adjustment mode: auto (1199 MHz)

Debian gives about the same run time, maybe slightly better but negligible overall.

It supports light sleep (standby), deep sleep (suspend), and hibernation.

because it doesn't even want to fucking boot, I tried like 10 times no success.
>inb4 obscure device
It's a Dell Inspiron, and even fucking plan9 and haiku boot and work compared to this excuse of a toy named OpenBDSD

Enjoy your decadent OS that will be completely dead in less than 10 years

Nothing like a good OpenBSD thread to bring out the shills and glowniggers:

nice

Attached: file.png (188x610, 29K)

It's probably Randi Harper posting between meth binges.

Attached: 1519960111980.png (1898x1394, 442K)

Will do

Look guys! I quoted everyone!

>decadent
Hahaha commies are mad that people are using OpenBSD instead of the OS of choice for all surviving commie nations.

Hey guys this is a great thread and all but it's distracting our users from the paid generals. Please kindly check in to the CSG thread and do the needful and buy some shitty botnet crap so we can infiltrate your nation's IT. Don't pay attention to OpenBSD, it's too hard for most of you to use anyway. It doesn't even come with a drive auto-mounting facility!

>I'm a shill and a glownigger because OpenBSD doesn't run on my machine l
amazing

>implying you've even tried
just a typical glownigger, lying again

>implying I didn't
lmao I tried like 10 times to install it, with different images and removable medias.
Seethe harder, Theo

The tears that people cry when a new OpenBSD version comes out and threads are created about it are delicious.

Every OpenBSD thread is filled with crying kvetching Linux trannies and Windows Pajeets and Macfags. No other type of thread attracts such a diverse array of salt donors.

I bet you tried using the CD image on a flash drive

Friendly reminder that OpenBSD can't fully saturate a 100 mbit NIC with its native networking drivers

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 94K)

Probably tried to run the wrong arch too.

Wrong.
I used the USB image for my USB stick
The CD image for my CD
Even the fucking floppy image for my floppy disk
Stupid shit doesn't boot and complains about PCI like an autist little toy OS

>this was true in 2002 but was fixed by 2003
talk more about trim though shill

>A few hours after this article was published, OpenBSD founder Theo de Raadt emailed Ars and wrote: "It is way overblown. This will never happen in real code." The vulnerabilityalready has been patched, with modified code located at lib/libc/crypt : arc4random.c.
>In fairness to them, the program isavailable only in preview releasesthat by definition aren't fit for production environments.
So THIS is the kinds of article that btfos OpenBSD...

What OS do you use?

oh nonono, this is true in 2019. Try to route with OpenBSD and watch it struggle to saturate a 100mbit link. What a piece of shit OS. Fuck off with your shill threads Theo.

Attached: 1543353347670.jpg (267x323, 7K)

Windows 10.

Gentoo, but I also used OpenBSD in the past
nah

>he misconfigures his setup and performance suffers
I'm sure you filed a bug report or contacted the mailing list. Oh wait, you're just repeating shit that wasn't true for years and years like your trim go-to.

cope

>he uses Google's own Linux distro with default Poetteringware
OH NO NO NO LOL HAHAHAHAHAHA seriously though how many times a day do you have to dilate?

Attached: 1537366525402.jpg (612x556, 127K)