Still can't make myself use it daily

>still can't make myself use it daily
>still scared of trying to customize it
what do

Attached: 1024px-EmacsIcon.svg.png (1024x1024, 153K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX2044Ew-UVVv31a0-Qn3dA6Sd_-NyA1n
github.com/nashamri/spacemacs-theme
youtube.com/watch?v=vQO7F2Q9DwA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

use nano

Attached: mpv-shot0063.jpg (1280x720, 150K)

install an emacs distribution

whats that

emacs that comes pre-configured

did you follow uncle dave's tutorials yet?

Install vim with a pre-configured .vimrc

Yeet it

bee yourself

n-no

Who is Uncle Dave?

Attached: 1554815944041.png (1200x1202, 106K)

This

Attached: 1492186868_1492086388121.jpg (960x925, 217K)

Or use vimspf13

Use a real operating system

dubs of truth. i'm not usually a luddite, but text editors should just edit text. syntax highlighting, auto completion, buffer management, line numbers, etc, are all distracting bloat. nano is a beautiful little piece of software, although i personally recommend mg. you really can't go wrong with either.

mfw evil mode

Attached: 90f.png (924x560, 48K)

>but text editors should just edit text
Emacs' text editor only edits text too.

this pushed me over the edge to try emacs as a vim user
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX2044Ew-UVVv31a0-Qn3dA6Sd_-NyA1n

mg is just the emacs text editor ported to nix from the emacs os.

>text editors should just edit text
Only if you don't do anything remotely complex with your text. Do you really want to deal with git's bullshit when you can just use magit from inside of your editing program?

>still scared of trying to customize it
Isn't that half the point of Emacs, having a first class extension language?

What are you having trouble with customizing? There are a lot of resources online which help with all sorts of retarded questions.

If you're already comfortable using brackets or gedit or kate or notepad++ or textwrangler or atom or sublime or medit or scribes or whatever, it is utterly senseless to get involved with emacs or vim. There's just no fuk'n point. It will not make you more efficient, and you will lose time for actual work due to the learning curve / adaptation period. It should also be noted that the non-CLI editors / light IDEs I mentioned can be kept simple, or extended to whatever degree you like. It doesn't make you cool if you use vim or emacs. No one will like you more, and you will be far less productive as you adjust.

Just because you're too brainier to use them doesn't mean everyone else is.

>it is utterly senseless to get involved with emacs or vim
>It will not make you more efficient
Whatever helps you rationalize your laziness and inability to learn.

>brackets or gedit or kate or notepad++ or textwrangler or atom or sublime or medit or scribes
>extended to whatever degree you like
You can't actually be this delusional, right?

Sure, if you just rewrite the entire text editor you can make any changes you want. Much simpler than vim or emacs.

>scared of trying to customize it
Why? Emacs' defaults are pretty shit but you don't need a very long config to get going.

Use neovim

start with a blank init.vim

look at basic configuration options

go wild turning it into a IDE with NERDTree, CoC, and ALE

>go wild turning it into a IDE
Why even use vim if you're just going to turn it into something it does a shit job at? Just use emacs if you want a feature-rich editor, or use any vi-like editor if you want a simpler program.

it's the Jow Forums way

use spacemacs or doom
evil-mode is a must

Regardless of if VimScript is shit, the plugins do a good job. Its list system, window/tab system, undo system are all too good to quit

>>still can't make myself use it daily
that's because you didn't customize it
>>still scared of trying to customize it
that's because you don't use it enough

Attached: Untitled.png (223x155, 16K)

Install Witchmacs

Attached: gnumarisa.png (669x631, 34K)

No. I stole snippets from the config file instead

That's the way to go

cute

It's like buying an electronics kit and having somebody do all the soldering for you. You won't learn a thing.

>use emacs for stuff
>notice stuff you need
>search on how to achieve said stuff
>????
>profit

Marisa is CUTE.

Except that emacs is a useful tool which you can use to do work, not just some hobby kit.

all of you fags with Emacs, post your daily setup. convince me to switch over with image examples only

maybe it won't tell you much but it's perfect for me, I work on many many languages and frameworks all at once and I never leave emacs

Attached: 2019-04-25-221416_1920x1200_scrot.png (1920x1200, 304K)

Previous thread:

What font is that?

what is your top bar and are you using tmux-- or what are the tabs on the very bottom from?

>20 packages in 2.2 seconds
You can get this down to ~0.8s if you use the esup package to profile your config and add :defer t to heavy packages you don't immediately need on startup.

I just upgraded my OS so I had closed down my session but I like being able to log in over a terminal and get the same view on my emacs I would get with the graphical GUI view.

Attached: C86DBC6D-92DB-4F56-9482-129674E7399F.png (2048x1536, 212K)

Who ever closes emacs though? I just run the daemon and keep it up as long as my OS stays up. Client startup time is near instantaneous.

I sometimes open new instances to separate LaTeX/org stuff from programming. Also daemon mode doesn't work too well if you want to unset your theme in the terminal but still have it in the GUI, and I use terminal emacs to edit text in qutebrowser.

>keyboard takes up over 50% of screen
wew lad

org mode replace for me orage, taskwarrior, TODO.txt and Tomboy in one simple plain file.

Granted, trying to learn how to listen to music and read web feeds is not very productive but it was a fun experience.

my top bar is polybar, and yes I'm using tmux, that is the bar at the bottom, my terminal is the same color as my polybar, so it seems like they're one

Yeah I could rotate the iPad if I wanted to.

Attached: 86588E5B-12A4-45E6-A119-263F969E35C8.png (1536x2048, 183K)

thanks!

My rice game is pretty weak tbqh.

Attached: three digit iq ide.png (978x932, 53K)

Stop being a fag and use vim?

What’s your trip code have to do with the thread ya dumb duck nigger?

no

>stop being a fag and use a program ubiquitous with webdev basedboys LARPing as hackers

Attached: premium think.jpg (1400x800, 37K)

Daily reminder to use init.el instead of .emacs

>giving money to uganda
Gno.

This is my setup at home, which is similar to the one I have at work
I develop in Clojure, one window is the code, the other is a REPL, and I added an example popup, if I need to read a function's documentation, for example.
Would (You) like examples of running tests, git, anything else?

Attached: Screenshot_20190422_220601.png (1366x768, 144K)

Nice theme, did you make it yourself?

Nope, I'm using pretty much default Spacemacs, light theme, and happy with it.
You can get it for your emacs here:
github.com/nashamri/spacemacs-theme

Thanks user.

I started with vim, then neovim.
Jumped ship to spacemacs and now on doom, staying here because it is comfy.

Eh, not necessarily true. People start riding a bike with stabilisers, doesn't mean they never take them off. Just like how people often start with Ubuntu and then learn and move to a less beginner friendly distro over time, the same can be said about using Spacemacs or Doom or whatever.

>Eh
Opinion automatically discarded.

Attached: 25AC832B-7FFF-4320-BF0F-0047C43219AD.jpg (492x692, 226K)

this.

Check out this video for an introduction to magit, it's a git interface for emacs. Can't really show it in a single image.
youtube.com/watch?v=vQO7F2Q9DwA

tfw to brainlet to init.el
install doom emacs
back to study

Eh, see if I care.

Attached: 8DE7CDF3-696D-42AD-A6B2-5F827CB4B35E.jpg (1080x1080, 165K)

What's "N"? Did you mean to say "nigger"?

Wow, watch out Jow Forumsents. This guy disregards opinions and eg doesn't afraid of anything.

>Wow
stopped reading there

>
Wow, stopped reading there.

Ding ding ding! Bingo! So much this.

Shits gotta be made by trannies.

What the fuck happened here? Fuck off faggots. This thread is about emacs.

Yeah it is FLOSS

Iosevka
That's very good to know
I'm a heterosexual man

Anyone got a template on how to "blog" with org-publish?
I'm trying to get something similar than worg but I can't manage to make it work.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just an index page, "blog pages" written in org, and an index linking to the pages.

Your code is so shit
Your comments are so fucking cancer too, what the fuck is that? ascii saying "primitives"? wtf?

Literally misusing every single function, why the fuck are you using filter to find a single value? or using a reduce as an if statement?

1/10, apply yourself

>giving money so more niggers live everyday

nope, Emacs is white!

Canucks should be burn at the stake for bringing Communism to America.

What pulled me in to emacs and eventually made me switch was:

- org-mode
- Spacemacs

Org mode is the best note taking application I've ever used, and to add the ergonomic brilliance of Spacemacs on top of that made me choose emacs as my main editor.

You have a very flawed understanding of both Vim and Emacs if you think simple customization requires rewriting the whole text editor. I can notice I'm doing a repetitive action in my daily programming life, go into my .emacs file, write a simple function to do that action for me, bind it to a key, and be back out to finish my work within 5 minutes - and the time saved by these things adds up quickly. For that five minutes, I save about 1 minute of rote work every day-ish, which means it pays for itself within the week - and if it is indeed repetitive work, it's quite likely I'll encounter it again and continue to reap savings.

You're not very good at reading, are you?

Hi witchmacs shillman
i installed it last week and its pretty good
also ur a fgt

so cute

>go into my .emacs file
you mean init.el, right?

Not that user, but I have a .emacs file with more characters in it than would fit in a single post here. Am I doing something wrong? I was sure I followed the advice of more than one guide a few years back when I started.

>few years back
modern way is to use ~/.emacs.d/init.el, so all your emacs config is in one directory.

I see.

What's the .emacs file for then?

Use Ed the standard editor

Attached: 1556251728019.jpg (1100x997, 153K)

legacy, they are both for init/config, but init.el is just a more flexible way of doing it.
de-clutters $HOME, can more easily split init.el into multiple files.