Imagine actually using linux

>imagine actually using linux

Enjoy 0 support for anything of value and use.

Attached: D2A9348C-2451-4FD5-9681-6041D7D75680.png (1334x750, 1.17M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pandasauce.org/post/linux-fonts/
clyp.it/user/dvipiesm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Only autistic fucks use linux full time.
I find linux interesting but won't swap anytime soon

It has KDE for a nice desktop, taskbar, program search/launch, and workspace management. It has Libre Office for documents and spreadsheets. It has Firefox, Chromium, Chrome, and Falkon for browsing the web. It has all the *nix tools anyone could ever want. It has the latest GCC updates. It has VS Code, Sublime Text, Vim, Emacs, Atom, etc for editing source code. It has image, video, and PDF viewers out the ass.

You know what it doesn't have? /v/toddler toys. Go back to /v/, faggot.

Attached: 1554572475510.jpg (856x551, 48K)

>Imaging using linux she said.

Attached: 1531884624285.jpg (640x865, 71K)

It also has Steam.

Name one thing Windows is useful for that I can't use Wine or a VM for.
>muh games
PCI passthrough. Also, .

>implying I care about faggot ass bideo games

Attached: 5D0F4F92-0640-43BA-B5C6-7D3E88972CAD.jpg (392x360, 28K)

Anything audio related.

Why can't I use a DAW in a VM? My desktop isn't very old.

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M USING GNU/LINUX!!

Attached: 1531884624282.jpg (460x276, 19K)

>Name one thing Windows is useful for that I can't use Wine or a VM for
Actually having my hardware work like I expect it to

I actually researched before buying, so I don't have this problem.

Well when the opportunity comes for your something new you're gonna be sol

Nigger do you know how demanding a daw can be on its own?

>you're just using the wrong hardware
Real nice advice to people who already have built their systems long ago and want to run Linux

Why? I can go online right now and buy a laptop that ships with GNU/Linux out of the box, or search for PC build parts that have working drivers.
>what is hardware-assisted virtualization
Yes, it is. You would have less problems in life if you stopped blaming others for them so often.

Are you two morons really trying to pretend windows supports old hardware?

You clearly have never used a daw

Only dumbasses that install linux are faggots who are desperate for friends, find Jow Forums, and install it so they can say "hey guys, I installed Linux", to eventually lose the rush after they realize it's shit and Jow Forums is retarded.

IDK how old are we talking about?

>she told me she was 18
The fact that something so retarded can literally ruin your life is a testament to how fucking retarded the US's laws are for governing sex.

Some states have age of consent at 16
He was just unlucky to have fucked in the wrong state

>Actually having my hardware work like I expect it to
The mainboard of my 2500k build finally died around a week ago, so i had to upgrade. Dualbooting Windows and Linux, I have a direct comparison.
>Windows
Old install of Windows7 wouldn't even boot. Whatever, it's eol soon, let's install Windows10.
CPU performance is garbage.
Colors are somewhat off because it's using a wrong color profile.
Sound output doesn't work at all.
Sound input doesn't work at all.
... the list goes on ...
>Linux
Boots normally, business as usual.
Inner me: But half of the hardware has changed, isn't there something I need to do?
dmesg: Yeah, I detected that 0.623s after boot. Your new stuff is supported ootb, don't worry about it.

>joeys world tour
>fucking anything

Attached: E6BA4469-112C-499A-817D-BAA4E34AF005.png (1334x750, 1.21M)

Modern video games are extremely resource intensive, and work fine in PCI passthrough VMs with only a slight performance loss. Rest assured your music shit will run fine in one.

>bideo gaem good so everything esle must be good

Attached: 5E638555-FE72-4B00-917E-1E4177888478.jpg (1035x1029, 131K)

True, but a lot of those are only "technically" 16 because of close-in-age exemptions. Most states have a true AoC of 18 if the other partner is more than a few years older than that.

>get told
>resort to memeing

Attached: not an argument.jpg (598x792, 237K)

>let's install Windows10.
>CPU performance is garbage.
>Colors are somewhat off because it's using a >wrong color profile.
>Sound output doesn't work at all.
>Sound input doesn't work at all.
>... the list goes on ...
Something is off here because I have had the direct opposite experience with Windows 10
I had my Z87 board with a R9 380 and every single driver from audio, GPU, chipset was installed right off the bat. Every single device in device manager was accounted for and unlike Windows 8 where you where given basic WDDM drivers for graphics Windows 10 actually had the full Radeon Crimson nonsense that was around when AMD abandoned CCC
I find it really hard to believe nothing worked under Windows 10

Why do people keep shilling windows 10?
It's not like there's anybody who hasn't used it enough to fully realize what utter garbage it is.
No, seriously.

Attached: 1519932692303.jpg (442x480, 32K)

right the point here is your excuse was so shit that it could warrant shit in return

you understand that theres more then just the.. you know what, fuck it, you're too ignorant to be corrected and its just a waste trying to educate you

This ain't a windows shill thread m8

What do you mean? it has support for every compiler and editor worth using.

Here is a good fucking hint:
Maybe Windows 10 actually isn't that bad now that is has been worked on for almost 4 years

GPU performance was fine ootb, even if the default radeon drivers were kinda old (17.something iirr). Only problem on the graphics end was the wrong color profile - this seems to be common on Windows, 7 also defaulted to a wrong one.
Sound card is a Xonar STX (built around the CMI8788), that also hasn't worked ootb on 7. The crappy onboard sound stuff (aka "hd audio", what a joke of a name btw) seems to be supported better ootb, at least from what I've heard.
What seemed really weird to me was the CPU performance, that one went up around 30-50% after installing the latest chipset driver and ryzen master. I would understand if that had pushed some IO numbers, but not pure number crunching.

FUCKING RETARDS STOP REPLYING TO THIS FUCKING BAITNIGGER AAAAHHHH

>you understand that theres more then just the.. you know what, fuck it, you're too ignorant to be corrected and its just a waste trying to educate you
See, you don't even have an actual counter argument. Do you even know what hardware acceleration is? What the fancy features in your CPU are for?

do you know what ASIO drivers are? do you know what an interface is? Do you know about any external hardware at all?

You can't just jerryrig this stuff, its gotta have proper support. Something Linux just doesn't have. There I explained some of it

how bout media creation tools?

reaper master race

ffmpeg gets the job done for me most of the time

Linux' font rendering is dog shit. Absolute complete utter fucking dog shit.
Linux' audio subsystem is dog shit. Absolute complete utter fucking dog shit.

I had a better opinion of it 2 years ago when I first started using it.

Technical problems: Kinda.
The "it's basically spyware at this point" levels of tracking: Nope. Half of the process of installing/configuring W10 is replying "No, fuck off" to all the begging for data.
>Sign up for a microsoft account
no, i'll use a local account.
>Please, sign up for a microsoft account, we can't track your logins if you don't
no
>do you want apps to upload all sound recorded by your mic to the cloud?
nope.
>do you want apps to upload video recorded by your webcam to the cloud?
I don't even own one, but no.
>do you want apps to constantly track your location?
no, go away.
>do you want apps to monitor all websites you visit, track what you click on etc.?
No.
>do you want cortana to send anything you enter anywhere to the cloud?
NO.
>do you want to be tracked by unique identifiers by all apps?
NO! FUCK OFF ALREADY!
etc.

I don't care about those.

>Linux' font rendering is dog shit. Absolute complete utter fucking dog shit.
It has working hinting, unlike Windows and macOS.

probably cause you aren't creative

pandasauce.org/post/linux-fonts/

I draw on paper and make music in my electric guitar and piano. You don't need Adobe Goyware 12000 (now only $1000 a year) to be "creative".

The only decent audio production software that runs natively on Linux is Renoise. Good luck finding VSTs though!

Open-source projects are easy to infiltrate, the developers are often hobbyists, sometimes they're even literal children.

X11 and Wayland are substandard display servers.

Lack of user space consistency between distributions.

Am I retarded blind or both if I think that the font rendering looks fine to me?

Attached: font.png (2021x1306, 272K)

If Zbrush is ever natively supported I'll switch, until then I have to keep my 8.1 desktop.

>buying software

Yeah you really aren't the creative type

It's eh even to my blind eyes
pic related in win10 and vivaldi

Attached: font.png (1138x715, 69K)

Possibly going blind!

huh yours looks "blurry" to me but maybe I'm just used to this?

Hello Luke

The main problem is that it doesn't actually do anything better than win10

>You can't just jerryrig this stuff, its gotta have proper support. Something Linux just doesn't have.
Then how do native GNU/Linux DAWs work? It has a few ports of commercial audio packages.
I agree about the audio (thanks Poettering!), but you are either high or legally blind if you think Ubuntu's fonts aren't gorgeous. Canonical's Freetype patches are a godsend.

doesn't it compile the data 0.000030 seconds faster then Windows 10?

This post confirms you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

No, answer the question. What is stopping you from passing a USB or PCI audio device directly to a Windows VM?

The increase in latency and the CPU overhead for running the VM and the host system.
Latency is everything in a DAW.
It’s all well and good running a crappy Ganoo Lincux DAW, but when you run a real DAW, it needs to be on a local machine.

Enjoy your audio stutter and latency issues.

thank you. like I wrote above.. its a waste trying to educate you

works fine for me

You know what? You convinced me. Takes someone like you to change my perspective on things. Thank you user.

You're welcome

Attached: owned.webm (384x466, 1.25M)

>Latency is everything in a DAW.
You *shouldn't* do it, then. Doesn't mean you can't.
>It’s all well and good running a crappy Ganoo Lincux DAW, but when you run a real DAW, it needs to be on a local machine.
What part of "ports of commercial audio packages" was difficult for you to grasp?
There is also WineASIO, and some products like Ableton supposedly work the same in Wine. Though I doubt this is worth gambling on for a paid product.

Attached: 567F9E29-E239-442A-B547-0A1479AD2CE8.jpg (478x573, 213K)

>still no argument

Sorry my latency on my reply has yet to get posted

>this garbled english
Kek, typical Wincuck.

and there we have it, we've gone full circle on a common Jow Forums interaction

>u r a dumb dumb not cause you dont know things but u refuse to accept that u r wrong and there for dumb ass

You cannot be saved.

>Support
How often do you call up Microsoft and ask them how to open paint?
I am sure there are some technical limitations to using Gnu/Linux but my main reason is because it is free as in freedom and it is actually enjoyable to use.

>0 support
if anything using linux is 100% support. Everybody and their mother helps you learn stuff

>install Linux
>Can't use MX Master 2s software
>never touch again
I can't live without that mouse, it's God's blessing to man.

>You cannot be saved.
From what? At no point was I actually proven wrong.

But you are dumb because you don't know things. You refuted a single point of his argument which he conceded then acted as if that was all he said. I'd speculate you didn't understand a single other thing he said or the implications of any of it. You're a fucking moron who probably shouldn't be using Linux anyway because you need your hand held every step of the way and don't understand basic concepts.

at a first glance:
>gray text
usually means this is some kind of "graphics artist" who values looks more than readability, but I won't dismiss that he might have a point just yet.
>OS X implementation
multi-dimensional blur, no hinting, no subpixel aa. worst option for font rendering by far, unless what you want is a preview for print. at least works for all fonts.
>Windows implementation
multi-dimensional blur, some hinting that does a bad job, some form of combined subpixel+grayscale aa. example pic clearly demonstrates the blur (subpixel aa has to do it's magic multiple pixels away from the glyph border). grayscale aa on windows > 7. works with all fonts.
>Linux implementation
it depends. my preferred options: full hinting, no blur, subpixel aa. does not work with all fonts, sometimes deforms glyph shapes (as if i care), but when it works it looks very clean. kerning is a mess.

if i have to pick between bad kerning (linux) and blur (windows, mac), i'll pick bad kerning.

>using peripherals that requires software to be installed to use them
Can we agree regardless of what OS we use that having to install software to use a mouse or keyboard is fucking terrifying

> imagine creating a thread about it dumbass

>Amagine being this braindead

You don't have to install the software to use it, just to customize the bindings that can also be done on a per-app basis which would be impossible without software.
But no, it's not terrifying.

Running a DAW through a VM is the single most goddamn retarded thing I have ever heard and at that point it was clear that the conversation ended there. Points were given solidifying your retardation but as I said, conversation ended and anything onwards was gonna be shit flinging at eachother.

So ensues worthless replies. By all means you can tell yourself you're right. But it's obvious you have no idea how this particular stuff works and your workaround "solutions" is beyond retarded.

as I said, you cannot be saved.

sure brings in the (You)'s

>cites ClearType as superior
>it literally cannot be reimplemented correctly outside of Windows because Microsoft owns patents for it
>"Font rendering on Linux is broken, very few people care"
What the fuck does he expect? Anyone who violates their font rendering patents is in serious legal trouble. The Freetype nerds have jumped through multiple hoops to try to get subpixel rendering right without violating them, and it doesn't work very well because doing things in an intentionally wrong way is inherently cludgey.

Attached: car face.jpg (568x740, 38K)

Wine isn't a VM. Native software isn't running in a VM. This is why you are a retard. You refuted the VM argument and ignored the rest while declaring victory. You're a mental midget not even fit to lick the sweat from my taint.

>Wine is a VM
>WineASIO isn't ASIO

I run ableton thru my qemu

get mad kid, i'm radio ready

hit me up with that 16bit 128kbps mp3 senpai

You cannot be saved.

Not an argument.

Thats fine. You cannot be saved.

D'aw it's someone's first poopypost

These are some of my free beats, feel free to use but make sure you use the prod by tag

clyp.it/user/dvipiesm

Attached: C1FC92C0-E791-4AF4-AC88-341BA646B2B0.gif (600x338, 1.94M)

A+ profile pic

>things that never happened
Windows 10, besides the bloat, has very sensible standard settings and installs all the right drivers on the fly (except maybe for GPU, as it will of course only install the WHQL driver, not the very latest one). I'm calling bullshit, you've probably never worked with windows 10.

Different user here, but now you're just moving the goalposts.

Any kind of serious audio production, starting with even a simple Podcast needs latency free recording and especially relies on cpu power to do real time effects such as de-essing or similar. A good DAW (like Reaper) can do them after the fact, but you'd still need low latency for n-1.
I'm not to experienced with pass through, but if it adds something like 30+ms in latency, this might already be a deal breaker. If not, then good.

And we haven't even talked about niche hardware. Most audio shit does only work on mac and windows. You could fault the devs for this, but with the Linux fragmentation, I'd also not offer Linux support.

that's why you fuck cakes