Liquid Salt Reactor (Thorium)

Why is this not the main source of energy yet? It doesn't have the security issues of regular nuclear reactors and is a lot smaller and more efficient.

ted.com/talks/kirk_sorensen_thorium_an_alternative_nuclear_fuel#t-299766

ted.com/talks/taylor_wilson_my_radical_plan_for_small_nuclear_fission_reactors#t-757579

Attached: 1547220181486.png (811x458, 770K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ted.com/talks/taylor_wilson_my_radical_plan_for_small_nuclear_fission_reactors#t-757579
youtube.com/watch?v=9cflCyyEA2I
ted.com/talks/garrett_lisi_on_his_theory_of_everything
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

reactors are expensive to build and new technologies are through with unexpected difficulties, also sodium fast reactors are the most developed and researched of the gen 4 reactor designs

>factory made
>expensive

It's not cost efficient.
>b-b-but cheap fuel!
Expensive infrastructure.
You know what has much cheaper fuel? Solar.
If fuel price and security were important enough to warrant thorium, we'd be running full solar long ago.

>expensive

>ted
I'm not even going to bother watching it because ted talks almost always amount to lots of simplistic evangelicalism and wishful thinking but very little actual proven engineering

>I'm not gonna watch the content so I don't have to get BTFO with my outdated retarded opinion

Attached: 1548673416624.png (648x636, 240K)

stay mad, layman pretending to know what he's talking about because he watched a 30 minute casual presentation by a biased lecturer

>I haven't watched the video and have no idea about the contents, but I'm gonna call whoever is in it a "biased lecturer"

Attached: 1533196346929.png (782x758, 143K)

> thorium reactors
> 1960s tech is somehow new technology
what the fuck are you smoking? put down the meth pipe for a moment, if that is at all possible.

We don't need reactors. We need a paradigm shift.
youtube.com/watch?v=9cflCyyEA2I

You are at 2nd to the bottom level. Try harder for a better score next time senpai.

Attached: 1280px-Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement.svg.png (1280x960, 213K)

>posting the fake one with smug anime girls removed

Attached: smuganimegirl.gif (340x340, 134K)

>reactor design that hasn't ever been implemented on a commercial scale
>1960s tech
what the fuck are you smoking? put down the meth pipe for a moment, if that is at all possible.

> oh, I totally forgot to add: used commercially. yes, that's it. user will believe my mistake was just an error
> still thinks 1960s tech is "new technology"
what a dumb cunt.

Attached: smuganimegril.png (1136x640, 318K)

foaming at the mouth so hard you can't even quote me properly lol
>m-muh woke salt reactor that nobody has ever bothered building is better because the nice man in the pop sci video told me so, look at how special and intelligent I am those stupid nuclear engineers don't know how to design a reactor!

ITT: a know-it-all Jow Forumsenius gets BTFO by everyone.

>academia is the same as actually building a commercially operating reactor
okay

obvious samefag, sad

>it's an OP argues with himself to bump his thread episode

Attached: 1556008843625.png (861x860, 351K)

that wouldn't bump it you retard.

>what is dynamic IP

that would increase the thread's IP count. I'm the OP and some other people are arguing with each other. it happens.

Attached: snapmeme21.png (800x800, 413K)

It's more corrosive than a water reactor and they haven't worked out a good material for the piping that won't require much more frequent replacement, which would be undesirable.

interesting take, citation needed.

Attached: snapmeme16.gif (500x346, 509K)

Too complex
>Muh TED

ted.com/talks/garrett_lisi_on_his_theory_of_everything

This guy propone new theory of everything but he just ghosting.

You can't build thorium missiles.
The only reason for nuclear power is to provide plutonium for nuclear weapons.
Its not a power problem as solar is showing.

>solar
unreliable, not efficient, expensive, not usable in many countries.

More power is made from solar than thorium reactors. The absolute state of TED.

It's in a video interviewing actual engineers in regards to the liquid salt reactors.
Unlike the stupid hype TED talk videos which don't mention the remaining technological challenges at all.

You forgot the most important problem with solar: silicon wafer processing waste

Nuclear waste has to be safely stored underground in containers that last much much longer than the half-life of the waste (most of which isn’t waste but useable nuclear fuel), the only emissions are water vapor as a nuclear plant is just a glorified steam generator

Solar panel processing produces thousands of gallons of toxic sludge PER SIX-INCH wafer. That shit doesn’t end up underground, it just ends up in the environment directly into main water sources or at best leaches into them

Not to mention the cost of recycling solar panels is much higher than the cost of making new ones so they all just end up in landfills, all of which contain lead and many of which (the new technology) contain cadium

Oh I forgot to mention the carbon and toxic gas emissions on top of all of that.

Solar is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Nuclear is the only viable solution.

More power is made from coal than anything, what is your point

>Why is this not the main source of energy yet?
it doesn't produce weaponizable byproducts so neither NATO nor the USSR wanted anything to do with it when traditional reactor tech was available.

>It's in a video interviewing actual engineers in regards to the liquid salt reactors.
where is the interview? post source.

The official narrative: the industry is not developed and it would take a massive ammount of money to develop, which in the case of Uranium was provided by the American taxpayer via Manhattan project. Also thorium generates nuclear waste anyway.

The truth: because almost free energy can be obtained very efficiently by other means not yet disclosed to the public.

>because almost free energy can be obtained very efficiently by other means not yet disclosed to the public.
????

most engineers/scientists have a hardon for nuclear power, china is making a thorium reactor so we will see how it goes from there

Yes. And thus it doesn't make sense to invest in Thorium. Energy matters have more to do with power and priviledge than with the mere obtention of energy for productive purposes.

kek it's funny read schizo Jow Forums.
now go back to your letroll board

Attached: pepe5.png (1200x1200, 505K)

he's right though. lobbies exist and OPEC won't let anything replace oil until we're out of oil.