How come no other company has copied the Magic Toolbar?

Shit's awesome, you can even play the piano on it.

Attached: appletouch4[1].jpg (700x467, 48K)

the toolbar is unironically extremely useful for some applications.

Thinkpad had the touchbar on the gen2 X1 Carbon way before apple

>emojis
>piano
literally a toy

>Mactoddlers BTFO

Delete this

t. work bought me a 2017 macbook pro

Attached: pepe_enough.jpg (316x202, 30K)

>Shit's awesome, you can even play the piano on it.

Attached: brainlet_pit.jpg (645x729, 57K)

companies only copy things people actually like.
>inb4 example of something someone copied you personally dislike

> companies only copy things people actually like.
Whole bunch of chinks jumped on the 3D Touch bandwagon about five years ago.

Toshiba did it years ago with the libretto and while it was a decent curiosity, it fell flat because only mactards like shit keyboards.

Attached: Toshiba_PLW10U_00201V_libretto_W105_L251_7_Tablet_735244.jpg (2000x2000, 263K)

>he doesn't tell the admins what to buy

If you were a coworker I could buy you a 5k Facebook machine if you give me just one reason why it should be this specific model

Attached: 1512439877128.png (707x678, 457K)

>Technology is magic
Why does Crapple market like this?

because it's trash

Yeah, this senior at work told me that his mbp 2016 keyboard was awesome but it feels really bad to type there. I used to borrow my friend's mb air 2007 when my old laptop bricked and the keyboard was far better than his mbp.

Name 1

Not him but it is really good for scrubbing through songs and videos, especially in projects you're building/editing. Better than having to use the mouse, or number line, or arrow keys, or a combination of the last two.
Just touch where you want to go.
The touch bar also makes stupid, simple little things like adjusting volume and brightness better. No more taptaptapping or holding it until it gets to where you want. Just drag it to the exact spot you want in one swift motion.

Outside of that, there isn't much it can be used for that keyboard shortcuts aren't already doing.

I'd rather have another row of F keys.
You can never have enough user configurable keys. Prove me wrong.

Gay

The Fn keys are still there. Just hold the Fn key and there they are. So, functionally, it's the same as before, because you still had to hold Fn to get to the underlying Function key functionality below the brightness and volume, dashboard, etc.
But if that's not enough you can still get into the settings and force the Touch Bar to only ever display function keys. But that sort of defeats the purpose. You can do it, though.

Because the target auditory are literal retards with magical thinking.

I think the touch bar is one of those things people hate when it debuts, but then people bitch about when apple removes it. like 3d touch. when 3d touch first came out, people were all, "that's useless, apple's out of ideas" but now those same people use it so much without even noticing it that the rumors that the next iphones will grant their 'wish' of 3d touch going away seems to be causing minor panic.

I wonder if with flexible screens they could create dynamic reliefs to improve the feel.

iTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: satania-san.gif (500x284, 1.75M)

The next windows update would probably break it. My multimedia buttons do not work because windows doesnt like Asus drivers.

>putting windows on a macbook
why do people do this? what's the practical advantage?
there are literally thousands of other better options

I'm that guy and this is exactly what I had in mind.

The difference is that smartphones are just smooth rectangles. They direly need any increase in complexity they can get to make using them feel less like a toy.
An actual computer does not need this, because an old-fashioned keyboard and trackpad (or trackpoint) provides tactile feedback and can have its inputs customized.

>How come no other company

Stop being retarded.

Oh. I misread the post.
Sorry, disregard my retardism.

> They direly need any increase in complexity they can get to make using them feel less like a toy.
That's not necessarily true. Smartphones have a fine method of input and simply making it more complex doesn't increase its usability or the user's productivity.
>An actual computer does not need this, because an old-fashioned keyboard and trackpad (or trackpoint) provides tactile feedback and can have its inputs customized.
Tactile feedback is overrated especially when referring to a single row of keys. And doesn't it count as a bonus to have added complexity to an already powerful device?

still, why DO people put windows on macbooks? for what purpose?

Games with thr MacBook look.

Based Huawei is releasing MacBooks with Windows since last year, so there's no reason to stay in the Apple garden.

What do we have here?

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x1-carbon-2-keyboard-feature-1.png?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MTIzOTc5fGltYWdlL3 (460x525, 121K)

How come applel copies everything from chinks and does it worse?

Attached: 1548974176941.png (1920x1080, 1.24M)

cope

This is a cursed image

Probably because it needs support in the operating system and applications. It's something that apple can do because it controls the platform but it's difficult to do in a fragmented space.

Make the 7th row keyboard back + touchbar above the Function keys instead of power, volume.

I used to have that one at work.
Absolute dogshit, keys activated all the time even though you didn't want them to. I'm glad the newer versions have physical keys again.

I know many people who have the new macbooks and nobody uses the bar for anything.

>So, functionally, it's the same as before
Not quite because you can feel actual keys. Not that much of a big deal considering I usually have to confirm I'm touching the right function key anyway (and I suppose most people do).

A shitty version of the Chadbar

>leaving greedy costs cutting chinkchongslinteyericecalculator laptop manufactures or macroshit to develop reliable, standardized software, drivers and API for such hardware to go along all the commonly used OS Windong and maybe some Lunix versions

yea ok kid

Notched phone screens were widely criticized, but were widely adopted. Unless people really love the notch or the illusion of a bigger dick. I mean screen.

>Smartphones have a fine method of input
No. Touch displays are shit. Not only they are inaccurate (remember the times of resistive touchscreens when buttons didn't have to be the size of your thumb?) but you also cover the output when you use it as input. Typing is barely bearable only thanks to prediction engines (which I hate using). In the end you can't just pack a computer into your pocket and keep the same functionality but I think we could do much better than modern phones.

>Tactile feedback is overrated
I disagree. It's a very natural thing. When you use a keyboard you don't even have to look at it because you can feel the keys and you can focus on the output instead. And you can be sure it's pressed when you feel it's pressed. I feel very uncomfortable if I don't know if the thing that I just pressed is actually pressed.

Also
>doesn't it count as a bonus to have added complexity to an already powerful device?
>simply making it more complex doesn't increase its usability or the user's productivity
I think you answered yourself. Things like analog keyboard sound cool but I don't see any use for it apart from games.

I actually didn't know about 3d touch and it sounds interesting but impractical. I suppose it would be easy to missclick.

It isn't worth having until they can use it to replace the entire keyboard. A couple companies are working on prototypes.

> meme icons rather than full-size keyboard with standard full size F1-F12
I don't want a miniature superflat emoji social network shitposting machine.

I just want a computer.

this has to be shopped i refuse to believe

Because real people prefer function keys.

>Touch displays are shit. Not only they are inaccurate
I'm not sure if you might have a defective unit but most if not all of the capacitive screens so far have been pretty accurate.
>but you also cover the output when you use it as input.
I consider this a fair trade-off, considering the benefits of touch input.
>Typing is barely bearable only thanks to prediction engines (which I hate using).
I think this one just comes down to personal preference. I like typing on touch displays, even with autocorrection turned off. Keys on smartphones are usually, in my opinion, too tiny and stiff, resulting in a typing experience that's tiring and slightly painful. It's much easier to just barely touch a surface and register a keystroke. Hell, this whole shitpost was typed out on a tablet.
>When you use a keyboard you don't even have to look at it because you can feel the keys and you can focus on the output instead.
Two things here: I meant to say that tactile feedback would be overrated in this particular context, pertaining to Fn keys, just because you usually have to check to see if you're pressing the right key anyway since they tend to differ between devices. I left that out, though. Sorry.
But tactile feedback just hasn't been as important to me in general, either. I find it just as easy to type effectively with minimal error on a flat surface as on a keyboard. Guess it's a just muscle memory thing.
>>doesn't it count as a bonus to have added complexity to an already powerful device?
>>simply making it more complex doesn't increase its usability or the user's productivity
>I think you answered yourself.
I meant to add a "by that logic," to the former statement but didn't.

Also,
>remember the times of resistive touchscreens when buttons didn't have to be the size of your thumb?
I'm glad those days are over. Developers used to put tons and tons of tiny buttons in a dense, small area and that made it hellish to operate without a stylus.

>apelel
>computer
pick one

>I actually didn't know about 3d touch and it sounds interesting but impractical. I suppose it would be easy to missclick.
i thought so to but you can change the sensitivity settings. it's basically a lot like the smartphone's version of a right click. it's just better than tapping and holding.

>I'm not sure if you might have a defective unit but most if not all of the capacitive screens so far have been pretty accurate.
I actually meant that operating it with a thumb, which is what most people usually do, is inaccurate. Somehow you can never be sure which part of your thumb will make contact first so you accuracy is limited by the size of your thumb.
>I consider this a fair trade-off, considering the benefits of touch input.
I'd much rather have a foldable/slider phone. It's especially funny now when we have 1000$ phones but you can't get it with a slide-out keyboard that would cost perhaps 30$. I wonder if Apple could convince everyone that they need a keyboard.
>Keys on smartphones are usually, in my opinion, too tiny and stiff, resulting in a typing experience that's tiring and slightly painful.
Blackberry keyboards are full comfy. I do think that most phone keyboards are acceptable at most.
>I'm glad those days are over. Developers used to put tons and tons of tiny buttons in a dense, small area and that made it hellish to operate without a stylus.
But then every device had a stylus for precise work. You could actually edit spreadsheets on a 3.6" display.

but apple did it better

>I actually meant that operating it with a thumb, which is what most people usually do, is inaccurate. Somehow you can never be sure which part of your thumb will make contact first so you accuracy is limited by the size of your thumb.
True, but this is easy to make up for with software design tricks. People have been accommodating that for years now. About a decade or so.
>I'd much rather have a foldable/slider phone.
They're still out there, you can have them. I don't care for them, though. I believe that more moving parts = more points for potential failure. e.g. Galaxy Fold.
>It's especially funny now when we have 1000$ phones but you can't get it with a slide-out keyboard that would cost perhaps 30$.
Well, I would imagine a $1,000 phone with a keyboard would just be a $1,100 phone. The higher the price, the less likely people are to buy.
>I wonder if Apple could convince everyone that they need a keyboard.
But they've already been manufacturing devices that function just fine without them.
>But then every device had a stylus for precise work. You could actually edit spreadsheets on a 3.6" display.
The problem is what happens when you lose the stylus. This happens a lot. If you so much as damage the tip of the stylus, it begins to scratch the display. Plus having a holster inside the device where the stylus can be stored is kind of a waste of space.
I know the Galaxy Note has a holster and manages to cram a bunch of cool stuff in there, but imagine if it didn't have the holster at all.

>I believe that more moving parts = more points for potential failure
That's surely true but I believe they could make it robust enough. That, and make it replaceable (as in not stupid difficult to replace). I've had a couple slider devices (and pic related which worked for a couple years until the display itself broke) and they were fine.
>Well, I would imagine a $1,000 phone with a keyboard would just be a $1,100 phone.
The lack of interest in keyboards and economy of scale make it even worse, like the KeyOne and Key2 which were absurdly expensive for their specs.
>But they've already been manufacturing devices that function just fine without them.
That's not the point, old dumbphones were functioning fine as well. I'm just wondering if Apple would be able to convince everybody that they need a keyboard like they convinced everybody that they need a touchscreen (which by itself is a good thing but I don't like how everybody neglects keyboards now).
>If you so much as damage the tip of the stylus, it begins to scratch the display.
In the old days you always used a protective film. Now you have glass displays which plastic or even common metals simply can't scratch and people further put protectors on top of that (which I suppose might make sense in case of impact).
>but imagine if it didn't have the holster at all.
Actually I don't think there is much that could be in that space. I mean, even if you could rearrange the insides, just take a couple of other phones of the same size and compare them. Chances are the difference won't be distinguishable. How much more battery do you think you could fit in without the stylus? 5%? And personally I don't even care how thin the phone is.

Attached: htc universal.jpg (500x375, 50K)

Fuck, meant to clear the name but it didn't carry over to this tab. I hate how Jow Forums X remembers the name.

Why didn't they make actual keys with tiny screen? That way you'd have the best of both worlds.

But they do

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 160K)

still not better than a physical FN row. time to meet the rope, macfag.

>still not better than a physical FN row.
Says who? You?
I think it's pretty great. It doesn't get in the way but it does offer some added functionality. It's not amazing or revolutionary, but it is nice to have.

Tell me where you can find one of those for a reasonable price then get back to me you fucking nitwit.

there were prototypes of a rising bubble keyboard which would become 3d and tactile upon demand several years ago, that I would imagine could eventually make its way into folding phone screens etc

Attached: gallery-1437420617-gizmodo.gif (480x269, 1.5M)

It's not my fault you're poor

This is nothing, you guys are unbelievable

Because it's fucking retarded

>3d touch going away
good riddance, I fucking hate 3d touch

kys

Why?

sataniaposter based