/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codepen.io/pixelnik/pen/pgWQBZ
freewebtemplates.com/download/free-website-template/caminar-691479829/download/
pcpartpicker.com/guide/
cpubenchmark.net/
github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Based OP, saving us from 404 hell.

Is there a place for the no-framework front AND back end Chad in this day and age of /wdg/?

I like webdev but I hate that whole personal-site/portfolio bullshit.
You look through all these 'top portfolio inspiration sites and every site is either some kind of unusable experimental art piece, or is repeating the same 'unique' ideas and lies everyone else touts
>We make websites for *HUMANS*
>Creating bold solutions for your digital real estate
>multidisciplinary designer for human computer interactions
>exploring the intersection of art, culture and technology while pushing its boundary
What the hell does that even mean. It's a website. You make it fast, easy to use and pleasing to the eyes.
Do these fuckers think they are creating some kind of post-modern art piece that is going to be put into a museum?

Attached: 1517253416132.png (1200x790, 548K)

They have to sell themselves...
>Just copying shit from all the cool shit we find arround
doesn't sound so good you know?

i'm just gonna mass email my github or linkedin account once i'm good and drunk enough to do it

People do the same thing with art by giving it superfluous meaning and backstory when in reality the artist probably just thought it looked good

nth for 1st class HTML5 support in Blazor because fuck community contribution

You guys got any ideas how to improve at home without just doing projects?
I work on small-ish projects mostly by myself 40 hours a week, i dont feel like yet another one i do for 5-10 hours a week would be the best use of my time when trying to improve.

Just looking for a way to do some kinda extra reps at home u know

>no-framework
Found the pasty toxic masculine cis-gendered anti-semite Trump supporter

I will eventually pick up a framework, it seems I must if I ever want a job, it's just that I have to know how to save my ass in the non framework way before doing that. I srot of know the basics, I want to know a bit more.

Attached: 1554570969676.gif (400x206, 1.76M)

What's are some good ways to accept donations from normies who can't into Bitcoin?

>Is there a place for the no-framework front AND back end Chad in this day and age of /wdg/?

>I like reinventing hot water.

It's fun learning new stuff, but then you also have to maintain your own code. And projects can get huge...

Reasonable argument.

Paypal

stripe.com

anybody been using this: theodinproject.com

I accidentally deleted my migrations folder in Django, yet for some reason I can still run makemigrations and migrate but it's weird. I'm using a DateTimeField and the standard ORM but when I try to set that field I get
``` column "expiry_date" is of type boolean but expression is of type timestamp with time zone ```
How do I unfuck this?

What is a good paid WordPress host for a small organization? I am looking for one that updates WordPress automatically and has the ability to export all the data in case the org wants to switch hosts/software. I want little responsibility so I don't want to manage a VPS.

Thanks senpai.

Any security fags in here wanna tell me how to get started building apps that are safer for people to use

use https.

salt your passwords.

Escape everything

Use a framework. Sanitize your inputs. Do not be dumb. Congrats!

For my Junior Portfolio do i need to upload my (two) full stack-site somewhere? I really don't want to pay for a database online and a server, will just posting the github link be enough?

Yes you idoit. Deploying is a skill that employers look for. Get a $2.5 month VPS from vultr or one of the $15 for a year VPSs from lowendbox and go wild

I am a cheap fuck and i wont pay, ill just use Heroku with their free postgres.

Suit yourself its an investment that will can payoff if you actually get a job. make sure to ping your shit every 30 minutes or heroku makes it sleep

Also you can get like $100 free digital ocean credits for singing up

>used to use moment
>didn't like how heavy moment was so switched to luxon
>luxon was still too heavy and monolithic so switched to date-fns
>didn't like how date-fns required 600 different imports for everything so switched to dayjs
>kind of disliked dayj's API so eventually switched to manual date manipulation + using a library for formatting and parsing
My autism about dates is slowly but surely intensifying

>make sure to ping your shit every 30 minutes or heroku makes it sleep
Waking it up is like 10 seconds tho

I have a website about movies and as you guys may know, movies have posters/covers, i dont want to bloat my site with 30+ images and byte columns so i thought about just using imdb links to images and store that as a string, is this legal? The site is full non-profit, just to show off i can do something.

>didn't like how date-fns required 600 different imports for everything
???

You import only what you need with date-fns...

Any tips on setting up a repo on GitHub properly for contributions from others? e.g. what tools should I involve in the workflow to enforce standard code style, commit message style, etc

You could try omdbapi.com instead.
I can only assume that imdb isn't keen on people hotlinking their content.

non-profit in what way?

>non-profit in what way?
Its a portfolio site, that is just there to show some faggots "hey i can create an api"

use api? here's one example I just found: codepen.io/pixelnik/pen/pgWQBZ

Guess ill use an open api, thanks!

That's not non-proft.
You could even argue it's more in the realm of commercial use, since the goal is to make people interested in your paid services.

hello good people of /wdg/. I have been learning html -> css -> js -> node -> express.

now I want to make an image sharing app type of app. I'm wondering if anyone has come across an express tutorial for a clone of flickr, Pinterest, Insta, or another app with photo-sharing capability? or if you have any general advice I'd love to hear it, thanks

How does Docker work with something like a pre-forking application server and superdaemon that manages graceful restarts, etc.?

>>didn't like how heavy moment was
its like 100kb or something... why do webdevs do this type of microoptimization?

You don't exist. Eventually you need help from another person or tool.

Because people have 100s of tabs open routinely and mobile network communications are easy to bottleneck.

Why you enjoy reinventing the wheel?

think of the children in a rural village in Burkina Faso using a single Windows 95 computer between themselves with Internet Explorer 4 and scarce amounts of internet sourced from the local river. they are why we micro-optimize, it is for the children.

>You don't exist.
I'll learn PHP in depth before diving into React/Vue.

Attached: 1528574788604.jpg (750x710, 64K)

As my buddy put it "Learn to ride the bike befure using the motorbike".

LMAO I wish I could see your regret months/years later

I'll pick up a framework eventually, just gotta have the basics... the bike before the motorbike...

How do I debug when a bug crashes site and I cannot even open devtools?

Is it possible to make a mobile app run Webdriver/Selenium or Cypress? Or some other way to record events and replay them?

Haha no you don't. I started my first job straight with Angular. PHP is damn ugly and once youre in you will be stuck there. HR doesn't want a jack of all trades, they want a person who has ... years of experience in one framework. So take a good one and stick with it.

Go full into React or Angular first so you can get a job quick, then get into php (i recommend you don't go for it anyway, go for javascript, java or c#).

Is this how it should be done?

>Clients on the browser clicks a thread in my forum page
>It redirects him to /threads/
>The page immediatly sends a request on load to the backend to retrieve data from that thread so all the posts when it was created etc.
>The backend sends that data and the front-end loads that data on the site for the client

The main problem is my Thread Id from the database is visible right there in the browser Url Tab, but does that really matter? What could someone do knowing the thread I Want to fucking kill myself is number 3 in my database?

That would lead me to Vue in my area. I might pick Node or even .Net eventually but first I must do PHP.

BASED DIGITS

Vue has more jobs than React in any part of the world not named China? The fuck

>The main problem is my Thread Id from the database is visible right there in the browser Url Tab, but does that really matter?
Ever looked at the address bar on Jow Forums?

Also are you talking about an SPA or not?
It doesn't sound like it, even though the way you fetch the data and render the HTML on the clientside would be a good fit.
remove parts till it stops crashing

Attached: 1513701240904.jpg (250x250, 16K)

Its an SPA but using React-Router so it still has pages.

yeah that's what I meant. Would be hardly an SPA without the router. Wasn't sure because you mentioned that it redirects.

I mainly know Vue, but it can't be that different in React.
You just need to decide whether to fetch the thread JSON before navigation or after. I guess there are also some hooks or navigation guards for that.

And? Eventually you will manage someone else. I've done fullstack for years now but there comes a point when the work is too much for one guy

Anyone?

According to my superficial research, yes.

I hope I can get there.

What repo?

The first step is having a really god damn solid readme on how to get up and running. The second is to have a solid tag system for issues.
Third would be to make sure to have a specific linter rule set for everyone to use.

Hey guys. Might be anyone has built a pc for their Web development needs? Planning to run multiple browsers simultaneously (some of them on virtual machine), graphic editor, sublime text etc web development related stuff on Linux OS. I've never built a pc before, was using laptops for developing. Can you please advice me on a build?

Attached: 1555616916658.jpg (830x1024, 76K)

Go ask the fuckers over at PCBG, you aren't going to need a beast to do that.

I'm doing it all on an x220 tablet with 11GB of RAM. Its almost perfect besides the battery life (2 hours max). And the CPU is a little slow by 2019 standards, but it doesn't affect much besides build times.

Hi /wdg/, asked about this in the last thread but didn't get a reply and am still having issues. I'm messing around with self web hosting on a Raspberry Pi as someone with no web dev experience.
I've managed to set up a LEMP stack on my own and now I want to pull some off-the-shelf websites and customise them.
I've got a sample site from here:
freewebtemplates.com/download/free-website-template/caminar-691479829/download/
And I want to set up my pi to serve it.
I assumed that I could just extract that zip and dump it into my /var/html/www directory and it would all work. However when I hit my Pi's IP, it only gives me the HTML; the CSS and Images don't load.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to configure Nginx to also serve the images and CSS?

Attached: comparison.png (996x621, 271K)

Have you considered your pathing for the CSS/Images aren't in the correct way your source is giving off, like /images/header/big_nig64.jpg instead of /images/big_nig64.jpg

As well as your stylesheet locations, double check those paths and it should work.

Oh, I actually think it might be a permissions issue. I can only ls the contents when I'm root, not with my user permissions. What permissions do the files/directory contents need in order to be served correctly?

can you open the individual assets if you navigate to them directly?
for example
>[yourPiAddress]/images/pic01.jpg

I'm still getting there. I only have to work with people because I can't increase my workload anymore. I still have to successfully work with people and that's a huge challenge.

No, Nginx displays a 404 message. The file is definitely on the machine though.

Thanks for your answer.
How about screen size? Isn't it too small if you need, for example, keep a browser and an editor on the screen?
And, for example, if you're implementing front-end and you has to run photoshop etc to check the mockup, in the same time running multiple browsers etc doesn't it freezes?

I'm sure it is, any tips for if I ever get there?

I see you're using Sublime text which is a convenient program, but it is proprietary non-free software. You have no way of verifying that it is not malware, and you have no freedom when you use it. I suggest you replace it with a free text editing program such as vim or emacs.

There's a thing called scaling, most browsers and web sites do it, it's magic like that, you don't need to shell out on a 4K screen to do a 1920x1080 site and try using an actual wireframe/mock up tool like Sketch or Figma (I prefer Figma) photoshop is terrible for it.

Attached: 1524762528509.png (650x650, 11K)

Attached: 1543412671317.jpg (882x754, 91K)

I used to code on vim, it has soo many additional steps required to get it up, which I personally don't have time on. It's like with gentoo - it's cool, but takes hella time.

And I just dont wanna use vscode because it's microsoft

Hey, I worked it out. I needed to add my /var/html/www directory contents to the www-data user group. Page loads correctly now. Thanks for the help.

Oh, I actually have it plugged into two external monitors. And that brings me to another thing I forgot: the iGPU. Its too weak to drive two monitors while doing anything intensive without overheating and throttling. But I guess my point was anything newer than Sandy Bridge and with 8GB+ of RAM will be enough.

Using node was a mistake.

>hi, to use this module, please install moduleB because it is used heavily
>go to moduleB site
>hey guys, moduleB is no longer supported and is deprecated. please use moduleC
>moduleC is incompatible and way different in usage so it can't be integrated into the original module without a complete rewrite

Whoever thought nodeJS is a good idea should neck themselves.

Why wasn't a single monitor enough?

How low-level/downstream of a module is this? I'm just curious as a non node user.

My workflow is super inefficient and I goof off a lot

Write your own code you stupid fucking troglodyte

Even a CPU from a few years ago will have more than enough power for webdev and to run a few VMs.
Sounds like you'd want a bunch of RAM though. I guess 16GB might still be fine? But I'm not sure how hungry Photoshop and multiple simultaneous VMs/Browser can get.
As the other user said, ask around in /pcbg/, look at some cheap builds here pcpartpicker.com/guide/ (ignore GPU obviously) and here for some CPU benchmarks and price/performance charts cpubenchmark.net/

So I guess mid-range CPU with lots of cores, 16+GB RAM. shouldn't be to costly.

Depending on your budget you could also think about your monitor setup. Having at least 2 screens is really nice obviously and an IPS panel that gives you accurate colors is probably also not a bad investment. Really wish I had one myself.

>greentext
name the library you are talking about

Thanks man

this guy might be memeing but i'm unironically targeting a similar user group. i'm making my website taking 3rd world money starved government agencies with 10+ years old computers.

i work in one of such places and today i had to deal with 4 computers (pic related) they had just 2gb of ram each.

Attached: HP-Compaq-DC5850.jpg (600x270, 71K)

I want to learn how to make a web app using Node, Express, React, TypeScript, and PostgreSQL. How do I learn how to tie all these things together? I'm confused with all the package downloading and configurations. Then you have stuff like Babel and Webpack jumping in and I don't get how or when all this stuff executes.

>tfw found a niche area to get hired at 75 an hour that I'm already seen as a top-end professional in after just 2 months.

holy shit, too good to be true

English language is like JavaScript, German language is like TypeScript.

Is this the best optimisation of fizzbuzz in JavaScript possible???!!!

const fizzBuzz = n => {
if (n % 15 === 0) {
return 'fizzbuzz';
}

if (n % 3 === 0) {
return 'fizz';
} else if (n % 5 === 0) {
return 'buzz';
} else {
return n;
}
}