/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
its weekend again edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

previous thread:

Attached: hsg_3.jpg (1200x776, 383K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy
packages.debian.org/buster/net/dnscrypt-proxy
github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/Configuration
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302795160068
eofs.eu/
ebay.com/itm/x/202366502172
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt#LEDE
youtube.com/watch?v=58TClS722Rg
wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7621
openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/mir3g
fiber.salt.ch/en/
repo.jellyfin.org/releases/client/android/
ramnode.com/vps.php
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumping for interest as the last thread went down whilst I was at uni. Let's get this started maybe by talking about what non-standard protocols you guys use:

>me
DNSCrypt

Attached: DEC_VT100_terminal.jpg (1200x1065, 183K)

Any FS nerds here or are you all consumer grade server owners? EXT4, ZFS or Btrfs?
And don't even bitch about bugs fixed since years.
Redpill me on COW, dedupe and what ways I have to checksum or verify file integrity in a non-ECC RAM environment.

Attached: Leaf-structure.png (739x402, 27K)

how's that working out for you? i've heard that there are some issues with sites/services blocking it
mostly i'd expect consumer grade server owners but who knows
i use ext4 because i've been using it problem free for a decade

Attached: 1549572530619.jpg (1102x1079, 181K)

Debian isn't even that much of an up-to-date OS, I'm just lucky that stretch released only just now and they of course had to incorporate latest TLS libs. So I dunno, just try a new distro or upgrade it? I'm happy to talk about what you use and how we might get you fresh packages.

>how's that working out for you? i've heard that there are some issues with sites/services blocking it

Well, the DNS requests still have to be according to IETF/RFC. You use the protocol to mask your requests and they are resolved off site. The more clients a dnscrypt server has, the more you are hidden in the noise. If a (sub)domain/tld are cached nobody would know anyway what you requested from the server. It doesn't solve the problem, only redirects it to a scapegoat the fucko squad will get.

recursive resolver (of a friend) dnscrypt-proxy + it's own cache client (me)

I have an unecrypted fallback with recursive DNSSEC if the encrypted primary should ever fail. The secondary uses QNAME minimization which is extremely needed as you hide the actual domain you are visting from the dns root servers.

Attached: DxexwlaWsAA98Iq.jpg (1118x1200, 229K)

alright cool
do you have any resources to read? i might be interested in setting something like this up

>do you have any resources to read? i might be interested in setting something like this up
Sure I can give you my conf for unbound with QNAME+DNSSEC and I can tell you about setting up dnscrypt-proxy.

sudo apt-get install unbound

sudo nano /etc/unbound/unbound.conf

include: "/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/*.conf"

server:
interface: 10.0.0.17@53
access-control: 127.0.0.0/8 allow
access-control: 10.0.0.0/24 allow
do-not-query-localhost: no
qname-minimisation: yes
do-ip4: yes
do-ip6: no
minimal-responses: yes
do-daemonize: no

10.0.0.17 is the IP of my server, change to your own

github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy
or
sudo apt-install dnscrypt-proxy
see Package: dnscrypt-proxy (2.0.19+ds1-2 and others)
packages.debian.org/buster/net/dnscrypt-proxy

cp example-dnscrypt-proxy.toml dnscrypt-proxy.toml
nano into it and edit to your liking: what port / ip in LAN you use, what resolver you want to connect to, etc.

github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/wiki/Configuration

Attached: 1556055205737.jpg (600x847, 293K)

Is this a good deal?
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302795160068

>pop up google
>Power consumed by Fantray : 30 Watts
>They're going to idle around 100w

well, good if your electricity is cheap

thank you

Attached: 1539401655586.jpg (716x1011, 98K)

No problem. Now you must only solve how to use the same tcp port 53 twice.
I used network-manager and nmtui and nmcli of systemdcancer to assign multiple IP addresses to single network interface.
It's fiddly but worked. Had my raspi reply on 10.0.0.7:53 and 10.0.0.18:53 for primary and secondary DNS in LAN.

picture semi related random grab of google, the CLI you'll deal with if you use my approach

Attached: Configure-Static-IP-in-Linux.png (779x517, 20K)

I might add, before you run multiple servers, just try either one of the two first. You can still keep your provider DNS as secondary fallback.
nmcli is super fiddly

for academic value, they could look like:

[connection]
id=0_raspi_wired
uuid=a5cb2a46-06c2-42bc-b40d-0895a434f031
type=ethernet
autoconnect-priority=-999
permissions=
timestamp=1540761774

[ethernet]
mac-address=
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
address1=10.0.0.17/32,10.0.0.1
dns=10.0.0.1;
dns-search=
method=manual

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

[connection]
id=1_raspi_slave
uuid=717d0eb0-7dad-36c4-8552-3da0fc93b912
type=ethernet
permissions=
timestamp=1540761125

[ethernet]
mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
address1=10.0.0.18/32
dns=10.0.0.1;
dns-search=
method=manual
never-default=true

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
dns-search=
method=auto

DNS 10.0.0.1 is that of my router, since the raspberry itself wasn't using my own DNS

aoki kanji is alright

Attached: 567567887567878.png (452x460, 256K)

Does anyone have the flowchart? Asked 2 or so threads ago but got no reply.

It's hard to find something plausible I can run all the time. I'm buying a refurb dell meme server to toy around with but I don't expect to actually run the thing on a daily basis, for the price it was hard not to get one to play around with, however all I really want is a homeserver I can run a small site off of and have some storage. Is a repurposed laptop viable?

try this pick a single board computer based on how much network speed you need

Attached: speeds1.png (1172x627, 315K)

>And don't even bitch about bugs fixed since years.
Till they change from it's stable guys to lol just kidding you will lose data.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-26 RAID56 - btrfs Wiki.png (1115x452, 48K)

>2016
I bet that wiki article was never updated to reflect almost 3 years of bugfixes.

>that series with the couple getting married at the end

Good

I have 2 x 24 port Cisco 3750G they are using about 160W IDLE each.

>11617 scrub errors
I have a ceph cluster with 14 OSDs one of the disk died so it's on ERROR now. Need to order a new 8 or 10TB disk.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-26 Ceph - Cluster 2 - Grafana(1).png (1238x160, 21K)

There are newer revisions. Doesn't sound much better.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-26 RAID56 - btrfs Wiki(1).png (1115x298, 35K)

More shit

Attached: image2.png (1523x1188, 2.2M)

Very disappointing that there seems to be little interest by coders to get alternatives to EXT4 and ZFS going.

Maybe European Open FS will be one day an option eofs.eu/

>SAS
redpill me if they are worth the extra price
I'd rather keep using sata forever, or another decade

sauce pls

SAS for hot drives, SATA for archiving

>do-ip6: no
There is a fucky in your config file. Why would you ru a DNS without IPv6?

whats a reasonable price for a used half cabinet? do they go for much below their new price? i mean its just metal right?

Hope this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have experience putting DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54GS v1.0? The guide on their forum says to follow the guide on the database but the link in the database for the recommended build is no longer available and their guide says that newer builds may be unstable. I tried searching their forums but most of the threads are from higher versions or regarding issues they've had.

I was thinking of using the RPis I no longer use as a web and ftp server I can take anywhere but I want them to be able to communicate with one another while only the web server RPi connects to the wifi/internet by making my old router a repeater (stock firmware doesn't allow it), but I don't want to use something potentially broken and brick my router. Pic related is a quick and dirty setup of the entire thing.

Attached: serverproject.jpg (1920x1108, 222K)

>WRT54GS v1.0
That's a shitty 20$ router from 20 years ago it already is a brick.

That was before I had a dualstack internet connection.

thanks user

Get a compatible TP-Link instead and switch to openwrt which is better anyway. Be careful! The same model may have up to 5 different hardware revisions. Check in your store of choice what revision they sell. Don't buy devices with low RAM. Openwrt lives from extra memory and storage so you can install more packages.

Don't want to shit your Linksys, but that thing is a living fossile.

imouto no iiwake

>Very disappointing that there seems to be little interest by coders to get alternatives to EXT4 and ZFS going.
Very disappointing that you don't fix the situation given that you care, yes.

XFS or ext4 IMO.

I'd rather work on less critical code than that of a file system. It's safer for everyone involved.

Yea, just put one of the possibly unstable builds on it?

OTOH I largely agree with - is this really worth your effort vs configuring an actually decent ~$35 Chinese router?

Honestly, that attitude probably only was actually seen on XFS.

ZFS, JFS, HFS, APFS and so many more were more normal mortals like you hacking something together. And people still use these.

>hacking something together
ReiserFS, in the literal way

Attached: vJKgPmn.jpg (1076x662, 199K)

tyvm

Yeah its pretty old, but I thought I'd put it to use since I had it laying around and since I've never messed with routers and their firmware I wanted something to practice with. I'll give DD-WRT a shot and if that doesn't work I'll go with 's advice. Thanks.

i see what you did there

I've got a machine that's always on anyways, so I'm thinking of throwing my media drive in it and setting up an nfs server, any tips?

Sure, do it.

The only tip I have is to use the current nfsv4.2, which is pretty much what you surely were going to do anyhow if your distro is sorta up to date. It's otherwise rather trivial.

Sure. I don't think you can practice THAT much though since how you go into recovery mode and what firmware you ultimately want may be different on the next model.

For router suggestions /nice cheaper routers with worldwide availability, consider the Xiaomi 3G or these (not specifically this listing, just the device):
ebay.com/itm/x/202366502172

If you want to buy expensive brand toys, smallnetbuilder has rankings.

How does that router perform with NAT, any ideas? Can it handle torrenting or game downloads (GOG/Steam/etc.) at 100MB/s?

user, this is a 512MB RAM relative monster of a machine.

This shit already worked on 8 or 16MB RAM and much weaker chips in the past if you had only a few thousand connections and didn't enable the most expensive ways to traffic shape or such (which almost nobody did or does even now).

Are WD Red drives ok for NAS? I want to buy 4 for a 24TB setup. They're going into a Ryzen 5 2600 box which will also serve as VM host.

no, they explode if you put them anywhere near a NAS.

What the fuck do you think?

(cont'd)
I looked it up - in comparison, your WRT54GS should have 8MB RAM and 2MB storage if it was a second or third generation model. Even that might have been capable of running some of the wired ports at full speed if you didn't do much with the traffic.

No, the new router won't be 64times faster like it has 64times more RAM, but it's probably nothing in particular to complain about in terms of an upgrade.

Sure. You can even very reasonably use SMR drives in a NAS if you know how to deal with their limitations. WD Red are pretty nice devices overall.

Why use a Ryzen 2600 for VMs though? A 2400G or 2200G should be better suited, you avoid using a power hungry dedicated GPU, saves almost half the system's power AFAIK.

headless is the way to go on all network protocol servers

What do you mean? I will only plug a shitty nvidia for os install and then it's SSH only.

dd live iso on USB, enable ssh access with nano?
what do you even need a screen for?

Is one backup of a backup enough? Or is a backup of a backup of a backup the most ideal scenario?

Uh, usually I'd say you take two typical versioned (well, with history) backups directly, rather than backing up the backup.

T A P E

Too expensive to not be bothersome (tape changer on new-ish version of LTO or something).

Too bothersome otherwise (how many tapes do you want to swap over how much time to even just do 6x10TB or something like that, never mind a bigger set of drives)?

Your most ideal way of a backup is one where you can verify file integrity. For example you could hash all files or use a filesystem that is able to confirm integrity.

Then you could backup rotate over several drives, like 3 HDDs.

Trying to decide on a CPU for my new home server: Ryzen 1600 or Ryzen 2200G

For only $20 more, the 1600 has 6 cores _with_ hyperthreading, compared to the 4 core, no hyperthreading, on the 2200G. Seems like people prefer the 2200G but I don't know why. Any opinion?

>Any opinion?

you should neck yourself for considering a GAYMAN cpu for a server.

why? i don't need Xeon for piddling around

>This shit already worked on 8 or 16MB RAM and much weaker chips in the past
This is not true at all. 1Gbps NAT has most certainly not been standard performance. Most 'consumer' routers manage to do it with some form of hardware acceleration (or at least they did a few years ago when I last checked). If the hardware acceleration is absent or unsupported in software (some custom FWs don't support it) then NAT happens in software which is much slower and won't even approach 1Gbps.

Maybe you're thinking about switching speed, which is indeed trivial, but that is not what I'm asking about.

For home use I'd say it depends on how important your data is. I'm personally fairly comfortable with 2 copies of my data which mostly comprises media (1 live copy on RAID and 1 offline backup).

Pushing it close to 120MB/s (or doing so on many more ports than two at the same time) is a newer thing and used to be an exclusive of very expensive routers.

~100MB/s on two ports with typical NAT has been possible for a good while now; the Linux networking stack is just pretty damn nice.

There is a reason every fucking server has a VGA port. You may need it lnly a few times but adding a GPU every time you fuck up your network or something else sucks. I even have a KVM switch because changing cables is shit.

This - especially when its something like the bios hanging at 'press f1 to continue' and you've pulled the damn thing out the rack, connected monitor and keyboard just to see that.

Like the UART on a TP-Link router/AP it should only be required after user error though to recover access.
If you would lose access on the server, but it still can boot into a live ISO with ssh, you still could recover headless.
Just offering user a way to go graphics less and still be in control.

>~100MB/s on two ports with typical NAT has been possible for a good while now
Yes, it has been possible but routers use hardware acceleration for NAT in order to achieve that most of the time, at least consumer routers. Software NAT (CPU only) has usually been like 300Mbps, so much slower. That's why I'm asking about that router. Has anyone actually tested it, or do we know if it uses hardware acceleration with OpenWRT?

No, you remember that wrong, you were able to get ~100MB/s for quite a while now.

I don't even know where you got that "hardware acceleration" bit from, sounds a bit like Cisco marketing wank or something like that to me.
Of course a relatively generic MIPS or ARM or whatever other type of CPU can go through a Linux NAT routing table thing just fine - it's not some kind of specialized video encoding thing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWrt#LEDE

>It was created in May 2016 by a group of core OpenWrt contributors due to disagreements on OpenWrt internal processes.[29] The schism was nominally reconciled a year later in May 2017 pending approval of the LEDE developers.[33] The remerger preserves the OpenWrt branding, but uses many of the LEDE processes and rules. The remerge proposal vote was passed by LEDE developers in June 2017,[34] and formally announced in January 2018.[35] Merging process was completed before OpenWRT 18.06 release.

Flow-offloading is a software feature, available since upstream kernel 4.16 and backported to OpenWrt's 4.14 kernel, this means it can be used on all OpenWrt supported devices running kernel 4.14 or newer. ar71xx has just been ported (in master/ snapshots) to kernel 4.14 over the last 2 weeks, so it's now not only available for the ath79 target (and its currently limited device support), but all ar71xx devices (and other targets on a new enough kernel).

This also means that 17.01.x (kernel 4.4 for all targets) and 18.06.x for ar71xx (some targets are using kernel 4.14 there and already do support flow-offloading, but ar71xx is on kernel 4.9) will never gain this functionality, as they're using a too old kernel for that; 19.01.x however will.

In addition to software flow-offloading there's also a possibility for hardware flow-offloading on devices supporting this, at the moment there are only drivers for mt7621, but there's a potential for other implementations (e.g. ar8337n, maybe ar8327n, maybe lantiq) in the future as well.

Attached: d6842fc08aeefb95cfb1723dd8826d15102caa21.png (653x285, 15K)

Replying to myself here, I'm also the person who suggested openwrt.

>mt7621
youtube.com/watch?v=58TClS722Rg

wikidevi.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7621

You should be able to find a device with this SoC if this feature is important to you. Good luck user

Attached: 647ce4f9.jpg (953x1024, 296K)

The Egasky router I linked has a MTK MT7621A+MT7603E+MT7612E.

So how much does enabling hardware flow-offloading on the MT7621 even affect performance (latencies? throughput?) vs. when it's disabled?

No idea, haven't tried the Mediatek ones yet, but considering it if there remains active development for in hardware features. Apparently some people with fiber internet access are getting in the kind of bandwidth range where it matters.

Should I go with emby or jellyfin? I don't want to install proprietary shit but my mom watches Seinfeld thanks to my current Plex setup, so I wouldn't want a janky user experience.

Anyhow kudos on the chink router. 512M DDR3 is excellent, but don't you think they jevved a bit on the 32M flash?

Yea, they already got 10/10GBE unlimited including TV and phone service for ~US$50/month here.

But are the MT7621 even on any 10GBE routers?

Why would your router need 10GBE?

>Your internal network will not be any slower due to the fact that all devices will communicate to each other directly (by ARPing and storing MAC addresses).

Just get a 10GBE switch, the router only needs to satisfy the speed of your internet+overhead, unless I miss something critically here.

Attached: 1552133712915.gif (245x325, 1.56M)

I guess even exporting from Asia they can't offer that and the RAM this cheaply on export. At least I haven't seen anything like that on the market.

If you want more storage, the other Chinese option that I mentioned has 128MB:
openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/mir3g

OTOH I think relatively few uses will actually require >32MB storage.

>I don't even know where you got that "hardware acceleration" bit from
I mean, it's literally in my router's firmware and if I disable it performance drops to like 200-300Mbps. It's an AC68U. I was only asking about this router out of curiosity since I don't really need to upgrade right now, but at that sort of price it's a good product to keep in mind for the future.

Nice to see that HW acceleration support is coming to custom FWs as well. Back when I last checked them out they had no support at all.

Attached: Capture.png (741x134, 6K)

You are right, it's just good to have more depending on what openwrt packages you want to install. Some DNS filters for adblocking could eat up a few MByte.

Emby is fucked at this point, closed source garbage

Nevermind, I'm retarded. You can have this fast internet? Thought South Korea had this much only.

Jellyfin is just a fork of Emby, from 3.5.2 IIRC. I haven't personally used it yet since I'm still on 3.5.2 but I imagine it won't be more janky than Emby. The only problem currently, as far as I've seen, is that "Jellyfin" isn't as widespread as far as clients go. They're not developing and maintaining clients for every platform Emby has, though the actual Emby clients may very well work with Jellyfin I believe. Also the web UI should work on pretty much anything with a decently modern browser.

> You can have this fast internet? Thought South Korea had this much only.
Yes, since a few months ago: fiber.salt.ch/en/

That said it's not like everyone was waiting to upgrade from their 300/30 or 1Gbit/1Gbit. I also couldn't be arsed yet, waiting on some unrelated house renovation to get better cabling up from below.

I know this out of the question
But maybe help me with SAUCE ?

The reason to get the 2200G is if you're running a media server since it has the VCN ASIC on it, which offers VP9 hardware decoding along with all the standard ones (HEVY, mpeg-4 AVC, etc). It can also do decent transcoding. However the main reason is for that super cheap 4k60 h.265/VP9
Really if you're doing a NAS + media centre all in one thing, go for the 2200G. If you are planning to do other forms of compute on it, grab the 1600

how hard is it to smtp imap? seems pretty hard

Attached: confus.png (366x601, 69K)

Is there any downside to using btrfs or ZFS? They seem better in theory than journaling filesystems, just reading about them now honestly

Sayonara, Oppai

what vps does /hsg/ use? i mostly plan on using it for hosting game servers with maybe 4 people tops
>inb4 its called *home* server general
i live in a dorm and cant forward any ports

Why the fuck would I want a server.

with iredmail it's relatively easy, installs postfix dovecot amavis roudcube etc for you

On point. Adding that the android client for Emby doesn't work with Jellyfin anymore, the devs updated it to block Jellyfin servers, so use this: repo.jellyfin.org/releases/client/android/
The Web UI works everywhere.

Any special consideration I should have for power supplies? I have a Pentium G3258 and a z97 atx with 8gb ram (non-ecc) that I've got lying around and want to put it to NAS/routing use:
>firewall w/blocklist
>vpn tunnelling for requests to a specific country
>2x 4tb reds to consolidate backups and media - zfs likely
>1x 1tb blue from current PC for torrents, finished non-seeding stuff would move to the reds
Would be between my computer+devices and the main router to the internets. Not really sure if I can get the first two points set up but if I'm making a NAS, being able to automate vpn access would be ideal.
Likely going back into an atx case instead of a rackmount. Should I size an atx power supply like I would normally?

What kind of temps are the drives reaching when sitting in such hot-swap bays?

Put together in 2016, been running nearly 24/7 since then. Home servers are a meme, but they're good memes.
>remote shell
>media server
>backup target

Attached: speccy.png (714x589, 65K)

>server
>windows 10

Depends how much you want to pay and how much quota you need.

A friend uses Ramnode:
ramnode.com/vps.php

If 2TB quota and 2 cores are enough for you, they offer plans for $7 a month.

It's not much, probably sucks. You must compare pricings yourself and make sure they don't charge you more if you hit quota or something else.

If you still have to ask why in 2019, a server probably is not meant for you.

>What kind of temps are the drives reaching when sitting in such hot-swap bays?
Not him but they sit in an air flow.

Anyhow the safe temperature range seems to be low. At least for large drives:
backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-temperature-does-it-matter/