/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pixel 3a Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: gsmarena_003.jpg (2549x2006, 615K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/KEYSION-2-Ports-36W-USB-C-PD-Fast-Charger-Type-C-Travel-Wall-Quick-Charger-QC/32848172451.html
ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-128GB-DualSim-Snapdragon636-Octa-Core-6-9-5500mAh-Phone-ByFedEx/323433885798?hash=item4b4e297066:m:mXH_RFc_xt5vluzERw_jjZg
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-max-3-6gb-128gb
youtu.be/_ka_mB7z0Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=93dG1Za7OnA
gizmochina.com/2018/09/11/xiaomi-poco-f1-screen-bleeding-issue-appears/
forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/help/check-poco-f1-touch-problem-t3837133
forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/help
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lmao at buying any flagship except the OnePlus 7 Pro right now.

Whats a similar but better version of the moto x4?

Redmi Note 7. Stop buying ancient motoshit

Got a Keysion Type-C QC4 wall charger but the "lightning" image doesn't show up when using on my redmi note 7

Is this a MIUI problem? it's charging fast i think just no symbol.

Just got a moto x4 yesterday. Anyone know of a way to root the amazon edition? Or if its even possible?

Why is it so hard to find a new phone these days?
Oneplus 6T has no headphone jack
Galaxy S10 series will not get proper updates
iPhone is garbage

Everything else is chinese cancer shit or shit quality.

Amazon version has a permanently locked bootloader, return it and buy it from elsewhere if you want to root.

Because majority of consumers are retarded. Most normies only care about access to social media and don't bother making informed buying decisions, which allows phone companies to sell whatever garbage they want. They don't browse /spg/ for ideas.

Just bought an S10e. Updates have been pretty good so far. I'm on the April security patch.

You need to pull down the notification bar and the lightning symbol should show up then. Also the color of the battery icon will change from green to blue when the phone is fast charging. Mind you, this is on the latest MIUI beta ROM, the stable build might not have these features yet.

Aren't s series phones generally supported for 2 years?

charger has usb-a and usb-c ports

symbol shows up with A but not with C

this one
aliexpress.com/item/KEYSION-2-Ports-36W-USB-C-PD-Fast-Charger-Type-C-Travel-Wall-Quick-Charger-QC/32848172451.html

Any update for the shit battery life on Exynos?

Are there any smartphones with keyboards meant for adults with adult fingers?

So this is the Pocomeme killer?

Attached: lenovo z6 pro.jpg (1200x900, 98K)

is it true chinkphones have blob backdoors?

>3 cameras + 1 additional
Why?
>A tiny little fucking nothch
Why?

Looks like a copy of some Huawei that also has retarded 3+1 cameras and a notch.

OPPO do it right, notch/cutout = NO PURCHASE

Fuck the jack. Get the OnePlus 7 Pro and a dragonfly red or just fuck off.

Dunno, but I know for a fact that all smartphones are spyware devices in itself.

Don't hope for miracles you'll still get

Sorry sweaty but normal people actually like taking pictures.

What phone is that?

ToF sensor is definetely good stuff. If the software follows properly you get adjustable depth of field.

not when it costs 2x as much

Just man up and buy the OnePlus 7 Pro.

that's obvious when it was double and triple the features.

I just ordered a Motorola moto c plus, cost me a cool 60 euros.

I wanted the cheapest usable phone with at least android 7.0, and this fit the bill.

The only "downside" was that it does not have a sensor that blacks out the screen when you put it up to your ear and talk on it, but I found a workaround, just press the power button to put the screen to sleep. Works on my current phone without cutting the connection so why would it not work on the moto c plus?

The moto will be my backup phone btw. I threw out my shitty old ZTE backup phone because it became locked to one sim after I upgraded to android 6.

I can get 6-8 hours SOT on my S10e Exymeme.
Battery drain during gaming still pretty bad tho.

Attached: S10e Exynos.jpg (1080x2280, 319K)

no

Front camera face unlock is a joke
anyone can just shove the phone in your face and unlock it instantly, as a prank or something
thankfully the OnePlus 7 Pro solves this problem by getting rid of a permanent front camera. You pop that shit out when you need it, and not before. Based

App recommendations 2019 when?

Attached: 1555600910150.webm (270x480, 1.24M)

How do you do it?

>25-30% brightness when indoor
>turn off Wifi, GPS & Bluetooth when not needed
>use night mode
>mostly browsing & texting, not much gaming
>occasionally kill persistent app with greenify
I just use my phone normally, basically.

where can I order a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 128GB/6GB RAM?

only models I find are 64gb/4gb...

Ordered a Black Shark 2 but cancelled my order due to the lack of NFC. Max 3 also lacks NFC, but it's a much cheaper phone so I forgive that...

Attached: 1552149208419.jpg (960x830, 52K)

Iphone X (750$) or Xs (1000$)?

why not get one of the Xiaomi phones with NFC?

none of them has a big enough battery...
only ..
- Black Shark 2 - 4000mAh: Would have the SD855.
- Mi Max 3 - 5500mAh: Cheap, has OK spec, OK camera, etc. It's a good price/value.
- Mi Mix 3 5G - 3800mAh: SD855, 5G... but not out yet.

So the selection ain't huge for sure.. ;_;

ebay.com/itm/Xiaomi-Mi-Max-3-128GB-DualSim-Snapdragon636-Octa-Core-6-9-5500mAh-Phone-ByFedEx/323433885798?hash=item4b4e297066:m:mXH_RFc_xt5vluzERw_jjZg

cheaper elsewhere:
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-max-3-6gb-128gb

Hmmm the warranty part.. fml.

lol pic related

Any of these sites offer like warranty? Not sure how reliable Xiaomi phones are. I had like 8+ warranty cases with my Huawei phones. Piece of shits .. all of them.

Attached: Capture.png (597x403, 19K)

most chink sites offer 6 to 12 months warranty, the catch is that you gotta ship it back to China to get it repaired or replaced under warranty.

What store is that from?

European Direct Shipping is more expensive even though it's slower because it's customs and VAT free to EU
>2018 Dear Teknistore Staff! I want to ask you about the European Direct Shipping method. Is this mean that you send the item through the European warehouse or logistics center? Thank you! Regards Cs.S.
>Answer: Dear customer, for the smartphone Xiaomi Mi Mix you can select European direct shipping at checkout page. In this way you don't pay customs or VAT after the shipment. Regards, Support Teknistore

Ah thanks mate for looking into it. Only thing I still think about is warranty. If I get it from a local store, I get 2 years of warranty, but only 4gigs of ram + 64gb storage...

IF I order online, more storage+more ram, but no/less warranty... feck

Why not a Pocophone? SD845 + 4000mah battery, 6GB RAM, 64GB or 128GB storage for ~300€

It's... you know... meh.
I had a OnePlus 6T and an SD 845 didn't give me any more than my old ass Note 4's CPU did. Emulation would be cool, but the SD845 sucks at it. Maybe the SD855 won't, I don't know - I can't test phones (not a reviewer), and just ordering an SD855 to test is a bit expensive.

The Poco also has/had LCD touch issues, and such.
There is also the Redmi Note 7 then, almost the same phone really..

You know the phones I listed are "special"... so to say.
- Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G: 5G, mechanical slider front camera, bigger battery. But I can't get it yet.
- OnePlus 7 Pro: Can't get it yet. Also the screen looks fucking overkill. Samsung's edge screen makes sense. It has a deep integration. What the fuck am I gonna do with things stretched over the side, and ghost touches up my ass? Fucking OnePlus fucking things up again. The rest of the specs seem fine.
- Mi Max 3: Big ass screen. The Honor Note 10 / Huawei Mate 20 X would be better IF you could still root. But you can't. So they suck.
- Black Shark 2: Snapdragon 855, dual speaker, "touch sensitive screen", "cool design", it has a lot going on.

I hope my post makes sense? I know its a tad bit messy, but it's hard to put in to words what drives my purchase.

> inb4 why not wait for Mi Mix 3 5G/OP7 Pro
Having to use this Note 4 as my P10 Plus broke - quite literally. And while I am contempt with this phone, it drains battery FAST AS FUCK. I top it up like 3 times a day if I do something. It's insane.

What's a good cheap smartphone for a caveman mom?
She destroyed every phone she used so far (she put one in washer, cracked the screen of another, lost one in beach, I could go on).

>inb4 the "Get her a Nokia 3310! They are indestructible!" meme

any Xiaomi, even the cheapest...
mom's got some friend who has like the cheapest Xiaomi.. and it works. it can facebook, it can take pictures, it can do calls. and it's not even laggy. and yea she broke it, but the whole phone is like 100$ or less so meh.

Why not just replace the battery then?

ofc I would...
- put on a tempered screen protector, even if super cheap
- put on a super cheap case
- install Prey/Cerberus for "lost phone"

This is like almost brand new battery... a 100% brand Samsung one too...
Trust me, this phone had this SOT/battery life when I bought it. Note 4's battery endurance fucking sucks. It's just horrible. Samsung was AWFUL back then in terms of battery. I had an S3 LTE.. same story. Barely a few hours of use. S4? Good luck reading a PDF or whatever bud.

IIRC they fixed this software wise around the S5, and battery wise the S7 (increased mah).

what are you emulating that SD845 isn't enough?

if new phones were "good" they'd all have replaceable batteries, upgraded storage, headphone jacks, headphones included in the box, two chargers included in the box, a bumper case included in the box, reasonable resolution screens (for battery life), larger/more efficient batteries... instead millions in r&d are wasted on useless shit like skinning, pressurized touch, etc.

all the shit people actually need is just not done (e.g., no expandable storage or replaceable batteries when this is prob #1 on peoples needs) or an add-on (e.g., phones are basically designed now to be used with cases)

Is MIUI the type of rom where I can just install the latest OTA update without worrying or is it like LineageOS where a clean install is recommended?
Using the one from xiaomi.eu, by the way.

doogee S70/Lite

should be able to OTA it

Then I guess your only option is to take the "risk" and buy from China. I have had only one Xiaomi, Note 4X (still my phone) and it's all fine even after 2+ years

Years ago the recommended controllers for Android gaming were the iPEGA and 8bitdo.
I took a break from gaems but recently I've been craving some PS RPGs, are those controllers still good or is there something better I should get?

Attached: ipega.jpg (860x799, 80K)

iPega is still good

Why are you giving her phones? Why are you giving anyone anything? The folly...
If you give people things then they will not value them. They will just see you as a neverending source of more.

"Huehuehue, you were stupid enough to love me, serves you right that I took all your money"

well, fair enough.
hmm.

what do you think about the Mi Max 3?

"Why did you believe my lies of troubles which I told with such conviction every day, I only exploited you when I could, it's YOUR fault you are broke, not me for taking your money!"

Rule number one: Never talk about how much money you have.
Rule number two: If someone is happy to take your money but insist that THEIR economy is THEIR secret, then you do NOT give any fucking money or thing to them!!

>metro pcs
>US
>under $500 preferably
I want a good screen and long battery life. Performance is a need as i usually buy budget phones on deals. 5.5 inch or higher. Headphone jack. UI and feel is important (almost want an iphone but want an audio jack). I like good hardware and visual aesthetic. Is there any series that does updates like apple? Im someone with ideas and thoughts i like to write down when they arise. Customization doesn't matter because android UI generally looks shit for the most part.

Looks very good on paper, I wish there were a version with a SD845. Poco would be perfect with a bigger screen

Recommend a good recent smartphone that has a amoled screen that is less than 500€

There's also GameSir that makes decent controllers. Alternatively, you could just get a Xbox one controller (the new one with bluetooth) or PS4 controller, and a phone holder.

Mi9

but op7pro isn't even a full feature flagship :^)

Samsung s active phones

seems like this just makes a new set of problems.

Attached: XuwMwuyyE9zYeW8RoGrzW9-650-80.jpg (650x826, 44K)

OwO

this is what happens when the Chinese try to do things by themselves

stop buying motoshit but buy this chinkshit instead lmao

yeah, that's basically what he said, do you have a point or are you one of those retards that just repeats what others type?

why hasnt there been a single manufacturer that just took the height of the smallest chin possible and made that the thickness of the entire bezel? surely it'd be smaller than old smartphone bezels and if you sell it right you could market it as a notchless phone

Looking for a budget or midrange phone for around 500CAD.

I was thinking about the Moto G7Plus but doesn't seem like it'd 100% work with my carrier. In Canada.

Typically do normie stuff, facebook messenger, twitter, discord, steam, and the occasional gacha game and I'd prefer a phone with a good, ideally big, screen.

What options would be in my price range? I was told the Mi8 but it seems to be a bit over my budget and im not 100% certain if the performance is necessary.

i can get a 512 gb s10 for 902 cad or 669.46 usd after tax. bad idea?

>I have a preference of this chinkshit over this other chinkshit because it's closer to me

well I ordered one... rip my money.

> 3200mAh battery
uhhhh

A Poco or Max 3?

Max 3. Poco had really many issues.. was looking into it a LOT before I got my 6T.
Then I had the chance to try both. Both are super budget. I realize other OP phones are not terrible, but the 6T is just a fucked device. IMO the 5T is still the "best" in their range. For now.

>3200mAh battery
SD855 and optimized software make it punch way above its class
youtu.be/_ka_mB7z0Ak

customers complain about battery life in my country. not saying you can't get a day out of it, but you need to restrict your use quite a bit. this dude also lists legit issues: youtube.com/watch?v=93dG1Za7OnA

Not trying to hate on Xiaomi, their Mi Mix 2S is legendary. And hopefully the 3 5G will be too.

What store did you buy it from? If you paid with PayPal you may have some "warranty".

What issues does the Poco have? I've only heard about the screen thing but only a few seem to have that problem.

It was one in my country, comes with 2 year warranty. I know... shame on me. I really hope the 4gig ram will be enough, but I mean my Note 4 with a 2K display works fine with 3gigs of ram so unless Xiaomi fucked something up..

> Poco
gizmochina.com/2018/09/11/xiaomi-poco-f1-screen-bleeding-issue-appears/
forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/help/check-poco-f1-touch-problem-t3837133
> no widevine (I don't care, just heard people whine)
forum.xda-developers.com/poco-f1/help

I did see a positive influx of dev replies and updates on the forums and that was great.. wish all their phones had such active community. Problem is, not every issue is software based.

Where are you from? Didn't know Xiaomi had stores outside of China and India

It's a Czech store, but there are local ones too, they all offer 24 month. I guess they just repair them in a service center, or just replace if they break... I don't mind either. Just want some safety net.

That is a wakelock bug on the global software. Already saw that dude's video and his other complaints are valid but for that unaccounted drain it's a matter of a software fix, wouldn't surprise me if it's been done by now. Every early battery test I've seen rates it high, gsmarena gives it a higher score than the Pocophone and you never hear about needing to restrict your usage with that one.

still, if you disable the phone raping battery optimizations like the ones on Huawei, things get ugly real fast with such a battery. I do realize not everyone needs like instant notifications, but I do and it's awful when I don't get timely notifications.

The smallest chin is just about iPhone XR level. You wouldn't want that, would you, user?

If i wanted to buy a used iPhone to try out iOS which model would I get that's is usable today

Disabling the god-awful MIUI "optimization" never had any impact on better battery life for me. I don't know why this option even exists, is enabled by default and is tucked deep in the options so it's hard to find.
Dunno how Huawei does it, I haven't owned one since 2012, but Xiaomi used to kill background apps in the past, resulting in fucked up notifications, can't say they do anymore, I occasionally test stock MIUI while switching between custom ROMs and I haven't seen it do that since version 8.

Huawei kills every app, every app's internet, and just.. fucks your shit up.
There is a reason why my Mate 10 Pro lasted up to 3 days... as soon as you turned off screen...
Felt like my Sony phone in Stamina mode... that did the same. But hey, that was a special battery saving mode, so can't blame Sony there. On Huawei, this is default behavior tho.

Any good modules on Magisk?
I've been using it for weeks as root but never bothered with the modules.

Youtube vanced is great

Universal GMS Doze and NFS Injector

This thing is really nice.

Attached: pixel3.jpg (4032x2027, 1.61M)