Why is LXC not taking off? Is Docker just plain superior?

Why is LXC not taking off? Is Docker just plain superior?

Attached: file.png (1000x639, 60K)

Does Jow Forums ever actually talk about production tech?

Not really, I don't understand the need for dockers, containers, and shit like cubernets or whatever.
The fuck? Just download the installer.

Yep, docker is what took off. I wouldn't say it's superior (and rkt was better too), but it won for now with its inertia.

I tried to use lxc or rkt for a small project but I couldn't find any resource to explain things starting from the basics. Like how do I build images, where do I find base images for whatever distribution I want to use, how do I set up networking and so on. For docker there are tons of resources, there is the docker hub, tools like docker-compose and everything is easy peasy.

>Just download the installer.
So you either don't work with software or basically never set up a production server.

Docker uses Linux containers. Id you're a professional lxc is just a waste of time

Docker was earlier and now has an entire ecosystem around it.

Also, docker allows you to forward your containers to the host without having to write fucking manual firewall rules.

>has an entire ecosystem around it
Not only that, but developers have amassed too much domain knowledge around it to just throw it away.

>going straight to the source is a waste of time
>going through an intermediary is a gain of time and performance

Attached: Tail.gif (250x245, 1.83M)

>what is podman

> t. not-employed-as-a-sysadmin

>I don't understand the need for dockers, containers, and shit like cubernets or whatever
The takeaway is that these things just deprecate your package manager. No one bothers publishing on anything that isn't Docker anymore

Containerization serves a different purpose than package managers. Most container images have packages installed in them with apt or apk or something similar

systemd-machined is technically superior but will probably not see mainstream adoption, sadly. However, podman will replace Docker eventually.

isn't docker just a frontend for linux kernel services?
it can be easily replaced by any other frontend and probably will because of their retarded shenanigans.

if it weren't for red hat and their patches it would be too much of a pain to use in production anyway.
and afaik they will soon drop it for machinectl

>sysadmin

is it machinectl, systemd-nspawn, or systemd-machined?

>machinectl
The command line tool that interacts with systemd-machined, kinda like systemctl is for systemd itself, networkctl is for systemd-networkd, resolvectl is for systemd-resolved, hostnamectl is for systemd-hostnamed, timedatectl is for systemd-timedated, and like a million more things.
>systemd-nspawn
Occasionally also known as nspawn, this is the command line tool that "starts" a container and registers it in systemd-machined. Can be used without machined supposedly, though fairly useless for managing multiple containers that way.
>systemd-machined
The daemon that governs all the containers.
So I guess systemd-machined would be the most accurate.

you explained it better than the fucking manual, thanks doc.

Attached: 100x.png (314x300, 36K)

While you are technically correct, no one appears to be using them this way. Most web applications you try to install nowadays have installation guides that only tell you to use Docker

Ask Amazon. They probably have a reason they prefer it. As developers we don't give a shit, this kind of stuff is interchangeable. But AWS wants us to use Docker, so sure we'll use Docker.

So you guys are saying podman > systemd-machined > Docker > LXC
Correct?

I have an ailing ancient business critical PHP app that is too difficult to migrate off PHP 5.
By keeping it in a container I can move all the other apps on the same server to a newer, more secure PHP version and help limit the potential damage done by exploiting the app.

Docker is inferior but programmers don't know dick about systems management. Your average developer knows Javascript and how to turn their computer on.

Tail call optimization