You should stop using lossy formats and start using FLAC

You should stop using lossy formats and start using FLAC.

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

Attached: Flac_logo_vector.svg.png (1200x595, 47K)

does the file size shrink or does it get zero filled

>What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps

imagine being this retarded

Lazy copypaste bait

Attached: a8ywqpupmm811.jpg (445x364, 40K)

>how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media
My 20+ year old CDs still sound fantastic and the same as the day I bought them, you're just a fag.

imagine falling for a decade-old copypasta

A FLAG

Imagine being this retarded of an audiophile

True. But that why I only stream music. Those companies have extremely complex algorithms to prevent mp3's from decaying and keep them fresh.

Attached: B72BCE761B7447858D1D8268F0914C8F.jpg (741x735, 45K)

I can't believe there are people who can see something like this even for the first time and still not recognize it as copypasta just based on writing style.

So much bullshit in one single comment. I didn't belive this was possible, before i read you baiting copypasta.

My mp3 collection is well over 100 GB, and most of them are ripped directly from CD in 320 kbps. And they still sound great after all those years.
I hope you're not believing the bullshit you you posted.

Attached: cdj-2000nxs2-w-main.jpg (2632x3351, 1.42M)

the most unbelievable thing about this is the expectation of people still using harddrives

newfag

based FLAC autist

Attached: viojkhr.jpg (800x600, 71K)

Is data only lost once during coversion or do lossy music files actually leak data over time?

I already know the answer, I'm just asking for a friend.

retards
agreed, t. newfag who has never seen this before

Any ALAC bros here?

Pretty sure this is bait but it reminds me of that time that youtube video essay retard claimed we were running out of internet.

>writing style
this will forever escape me, how there's a single element of that one something that immediately triggers "that's pasta". Must be the slightly confrontational tone coated with a kind of subtle intentional ignorance thoroughly saturated with misplaced confidence..?

Luckily, the rotational velodensity degradation is a thing of the past thanks to NAND Flash. However, flash storage has another problem; it's usually too fast. Whether it is MP3 or FLAC, you probably notice that your music collection is playing too quickly. Your device has to keep up with the raw speed of reading, and therefore speeds it up. The final solution to this problem is streaming; services such as Spotify(TM) ensure that the data rate is exactly what is needed to play the music perfectly.

WAV > FLAC

FLAC is a meme

Say that again when you use Spotify(TM) with a 500Mb+ connection. You can clearly hear how the songs are sped up, it's insane. I have to download random shit like more RAM or cars on uTorrent(TM) while listening to music on Spotify(TM) to slow down the playback.

FLAC is dying; zoomers are used to hearing compression artifacts, in the same way that boomers looked forward to the hiss and pop of vinyl.

>rotational velodensity

Good times lads.

Attached: 1549572075692.gif (500x370, 491K)