Reading/Learning Technology

What is the best way to read PDFs and such? Are there programs or monitors/projectors that make it easier or more effective?
I know blue light is supposed to be very bad. Large, colored, fast e-ink monitors don't exist or at least are extremely expensive.

Attached: IMG_5591-1-676x1024.jpg (676x1024, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-1366x768-Brightness-3-0-Powered/dp/B00CMKOVMO?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=USB monitor&qid=1556318051&s=gateway&sr=8-3
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think an e-ink tablet is sufficient.
Make sure you get one that can be hacked.

I had a Yotaphone, it was still so useful to me I would go back to it when I didn't even use the e-ink for reading very often, which having a full Android interface on the e-ink was very useful

Attached: 51EJFM-EQvL.jpg (500x500, 49K)

They aren't sufficient for anything.

They are at ~A4 size. Mine's even got microHDMI-in so I can use it as a monitor.

you can't read textbooks or papers on a tiny b/w e-ink screen

That's why I said ~A4 size. At 13.3" it's about the size of a textbook page.

the whole benefit is that you can view pages on large screens from your computer. there is no point to a tablet and they are extremely expensive.

Want. Fuck the tablet part, but an E-Ink monitor would be awesome.

A4 you dumb nig.

My Sony Digital Paper is more than sufficient.

if I wanted to read on a typical size, I'd buy a used book

>if I wanted to read on a typical size, I'd buy a used book
Do you want to read at the typical WEIGHT, too?

I got only 16 books on my kindle (all pirated, fuck you) and the thing weighs only like 50 grams or some shit. How unweildy would those 16 books be? Most are textbooks, 300-700 pages a pop.

Best monitor(s) for reading digital textbooks?

What’s best for studying programming and productivity?

who is reading a textbook holding it in bed over them like a novel? printed papers aren't heavy. you wasted money. deal with it.

hardware doesn't matter, should you want to read you should be able to do it even on a 3ds

Books aren't like music, you don't carry around more than one or two at a fucking time.

i used to think the same thing, then my wife got me a kindle for christmas. i immediately realized that ereaders are fucking awesome, but tiny ereaders are useless for anything but reading fiction. i got an A4 sized sony ereader for work for reading pdfs and i love/hate it. i love that it effectively replaced a giant pile of papers on my desk and i wish i would've gotten one that i could hack because using their software is bullshit. the drag and drop of the kindle is way better.

I get to view as many books as I want on a paper-like display the size of a book, it's still quite advantageous.

Apart from when you're studying and you literally carry around 10 fuck off large books at a time.
Shit I'm not even studying right now and I have 4 text books on me.

A4 size e-ink tablets are $700+. It's not worth, at all. I can buy two 16:10 monitors and view them vertically AND have an inexpensive DESKTOP with terabytes of storage for the price of a single A4 size e-ink tablet. there is no benefit other than that it's portable. A laptop, tablet, and smartphone is also portable, and has more use than any e-ink display in existence, for a lower cost. There is no practical benefit.

Attached: IMG_20190426_180045.jpg (409x367, 31K)

you sound like a weenie. you can't carry some books?

Attached: 1544274423073.png (600x497, 8K)

Pretty average. 10 text books is a lot of text books for anybody.

You're supposed to have them on your desktop with nice large screens.

what tablet ? I've never seen something like this

There are 13.3" e-ink tablets but they are all expensive, like the Boox Max 2.

I use a vertical monitor whenever I can.
On my laptop reading two columns papers is a pain of scrolling one down, one up, there two down, one down ...

You need to build muscle.

Funny. You need to go back to Jow Forums with this macho BS.

Except for reading.

JUST FUCKING READ THE PDF FILES AND STOP PROCRASTINATING BY TRYING TO FIND NEW WAYS TO mENTALLY MASTURBATE YOURSELF ON A DIFFERENT SCREEN.

also you can use a laptop or phone with

amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-1366x768-Brightness-3-0-Powered/dp/B00CMKOVMO?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

its A4 size for $90

or 1080p IPS for $190

amazon.com/ASUS-MB169B-1920x1080-Portable-Monitor/dp/B013XFJKGI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=USB monitor&qid=1556318051&s=gateway&sr=8-3

light and portable for your twink arms

I can't not use a vertical monitor now.

user's example was right, mine's a Boox Max 2

is the refresh rate high or is it slow and barely usable? Does it reach high temperatures?

I use laser printing. I like highlighting and taking notes while studying so that I know what I'll have to check when I reread the article/book.

it's the unfortunate truth. funny how we don't consider printers tech? paper can do things tablets simply cannot yet.

is it less expensive to print a textbook than to buy a used textbook? this makes sense for articles, statistics,and studies but what about books and textbooks?

Considering that text books cost a bomb then yeah, they are cheaper to print, however in many cases I have found the e book and physical book cost the same price, so it only really works if you are pirating the ebook/pdf. Not to mention it won't be nicely bound and shit.

>paying money for almost instantaneous and infinitely copying files
don't!

Attached: image.png (656x527, 19K)

i disagree.
i own a tablet, a laptop, a pc, and 2 ereaders.
the large ereader is the best thing for reading papers in general.
i don't know how to explain it better than that. I used to use my tablet for reading and annotating papers, now i just use my ereader.

eww, no.
that would kill my eyes.

you adjust the settings to the light of the room you goofball; blue light filter, lower brightness. my phone always has a blue light filter and 0% brightness.

Attached: 1551127426034.png (900x722, 197K)

if it was less than $700 then it would be more enticing but that price is ridiculous

It's usable. I was a little worried about using e-ink for notes but it's able to keep up with the pen while I'm writing. I haven't noticed any temp issues either

no

Abso fucking lutely. I spent almost 6 years in university, and I never bought a single textbook, I printed them all myself and had them spiral bound for pennies. Textbooks are expensive as fuck. In addition, in shitholes like my country, there is virtually no second hand market for anything, let alone books written in English you can't even buy in bookstores here. You can get most books you need from libgen, or if it's not available online, you can xerox a copy from your library.

>it only really works if you are pirating the ebook
What other sources exist for acquiring ebooks? I honestly don't know. And aside from that, if you are in the academic world, you pirate, period. If you are not, and you don't pirate everything else to, then you're just an americuck.

>shithole country tries to speak for the real world
every thread

as someone who uses my ereader (paperwhite) extensively as well, I don't blame you. That said, the $700 one in question still bears a price high enough to give me pause. I would balk significantly less at like 400-500 something but that's still a quite a tag

I got an iPad mini air 2 hella cheap and really like it. Fuck iOS, but I use it exclusivley for reading. Only complaint is that the native ereader app doesn't support .djvu files yet.

>posts here instead of reading his PDF
shameful

>yet

That's pretty much irrelevant. I know many Americans love throwing away money for no particular reason, but hey, if you wish to succumb to the mafia of textbook publishers, by all means enjoy spending hundreds on books.

>mentally