Gaming laptops

What is the Jow Forums consensus on gaming laptops?

Attached: lenovo.jpg (1286x1000, 96K)

underage retard magnets

desktop + cheap laptop

If I'd get one it'd have to be a stealthy one. I hate that aesthetic that everyone's going with.
Just give me a normal looking laptop with beefier insides.

only acceptable laptop are
thinkpad
precision
elitebook
latitude

I used to feel this way, but my job has a lot of downtime and I've been considering buying a gaming laptop to kill the boredom.

you forgot aspire

>shitty clamshell designs and shitty hinges
>uses so much power that they wont even last 2 unplugged while gaming
>heavy as fuck
>your hands melt if you use your keyboard while gaming
>cant go futher than 4 cores 8 threads
>uses ngreedia gpus so your planned obsolesence is inevitable
>cant be upgraded
>costs atleast 1k dollars to for the models with the low end gpus and atleast 1.5 to 2k dollars for the models with the medium end gpus
>this

correction
>this

>>>/lgbt?
you need to go back

SEETHING

Only wintoddlers buy this garbage.

Loud as fuck. You gotta wear soundproof headphones while gaming unless you like listening to loud fans.

not wintoddlers
just toddlers

Toddlers are the only people stupid enough touse Windows.

too bad you cant properly play games on linux and macs

Games are for children.

ok freetard

Grow up, wintoddler.

kek

Most used kernel in the world, so deal with it, winjeet.

So a Razer?

Gaming laptop is nice if it doesn't look like a fucking toy.

Attached: gayman laptop.jpg (2000x1125, 211K)

God that thing is childish. Why do companies do this? And who would name their brand "Republic of Gamers"? What a bunch of shit.

I have that one, was gifted to me. It looks silly, but it's a damn good laptop and has treated me well for the last 4 and a half years.

They're a pretty good option these days if you want a laptop with a powerful GPU.

Mine has a desktop CPU and a GTX 1080, but there are others that focus less on upgradeability and more on slimness or battery life. Depends on what you want.

Attached: 1532341178826.jpg (1622x1080, 205K)

>Mine has a desktop CPU and a GTX 1080
How's the battery life and cooling with those specs?

I have and asus Rog since 2015. Treated me well until now. I usually play old games so I'm good. I'll get a desktop in a year or two, to play newer games. I'm not in a hurry.

You forgot Zbook

>uses so much power that they wont even last 2 unplugged while gaming
While true, that's pretty intrinsic to the task of gaming.
>cant go futher than 4 cores 8 threads
Yes they can. The i9-8950HK is 6C12T, and there are even those that use actual desktop processors.
>uses ngreedia gpus so your planned obsolesence is inevitable
Not necessarily true. There are those that use replaceable mobile GPUs, like MXM or proprietary standards. How well the manufacturers involved will deliver on upgrades is perhaps yet to be seen (I hear that ngreedia may stop supporting MXM soon), but you don't know that it's so.
>cant be upgraded
See above, and also those that use desktop CPUs are in fact socketed. Admittedly may not mean much for Intel CPUs though, but there are Ryzen ones too.
>heavy as fuck
There are those that are surprisingly small and light, though that may conflict with the upgradability points.
>costs atleast 1k dollars to for the models with the low end gpus and atleast 1.5 to 2k dollars for the models with the medium end gpus
That's not far from true for desktops as well if you want them to have decent gayming performance, tho.

Around 3 hours of battery life. Runs games in the high 70s and low 80s.

who the fuck is gonna play 2 hours and then be left out without a computer
>i9 8950hk
have fun with that spaceheater of a cpu that is gonna drain your battery life in less than 3 hours of use
With a 1 or 2k dollars i can build a godlike pc that will absolutely obliterate every gayming in existance, you dont need 1k dollars for decent performance, for 600 dollars you can get a ryzen 5 2600/rx 580/16gb ram pc and if you bump it up a little to 800 dollars you will be able to get a vega 56 and a ryzen 7 2700

gayming laptop*

you forgot macbook

>for 600 dollars you can get a ryzen 5 2600/rx 580/16gb ram
Maybe if CPU/RAM/GPU/Mobo are the only components you buy.

>ryzen 5 2600
140 dollars
>rx 580
170 dollars
>16gbs of ram
70 dollars
>mobo
60 dollars
>psu
60 dollars
>case
50 dollars
>storage
30 dollars for a 1tb hdd
>os
windows 10 can be without a license and its the only os that you can use for gayming because win 7 is gonna die soon, win 8 is gay and linux simply lacks game support

Epic windows gamer manchild

every laptop is a gaming laptop

>gaming
>on a machine that will always thermal throttle
An exercise in masochism

I have a nitro 5 with the 2500u Ryzen and rx560x.

I've never seen it go over 70c, usually 65c in games. I actually get a lot of use out of it when I'm traveling, which is why i have it along side my main desktop.

As someone who actually has a Dell Precision with an upgraded MXM GPU, you're really at the mercy of whatever Chink resellers feel like giving you for prices and how supported you Laptop is for Pascal (since NVIDIA hasn't releases any info on upcoming MXM designs for RTX cards and what you've said) Dell supposedly fucked up the BIOS for Pascal cards pre-7XXX according to one crazy fucker who's modding the BIOS to support it. You're stuck with Clevo/Sager/Eurocom if you want something that may have a mostly unobstructed upgrade path.

Seething loonix manchild

Okay, what if I want to buy a quality laptop with decent hardware? I already have a great desktop.

thinkpad or chromebook running distro of your choice.

>distro
No thanks I'm an adult with a job

i built my own desktop pc and it got stolen so
then i bought an alienware laptop. its great
then i got my desktop back and i upgraded it.
they both are great. wish i could sell one of them

If you're actually living the LAN Party life 4 days a week and actually needed a passably competent game box to be mobile, then you might be able justify the excessive prices and gimped hardware.

But it's 2019. Are LAN Parties even a thing? Just play Fortnite on your tablet.

Attached: 1556050051554s.jpg (241x250, 8K)

This. Out of the box it's one of the shittiest laptops you could use. But after all the updates its really cool and comfy.
The size and looks can be forgiven considering it costs just around 500~600 usd.

Stop replying to yourself and go back to your designated shitting street Pajeet.

Attached: 1529325074408.jpg (643x960, 255K)

based

I have my i9 Helios 500 hooked up to a dock and connected to my 4k TV. Doesn't use up much space like a desktop and can run everything fine. And I have the option to use it as weights for when I wanna do some lifting.