VIRTUAL MACHINE GENERAL THREAD

Post what you are up to with your VMs and what you have planned. Discuss best configs. Complain about Oracle. All right there in this thread!

Attached: VMs.png (476x316, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/ARM
ownyourbits.com/2018/06/13/transparently-running-binaries-from-any-architecture-in-linux-with-qemu-and-binfmt_misc/
kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-28-QEMU-command-line-by-libvirt.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use gnome-boxes, it literally just works without configuration.

this.
gnome-boxes is "just werkz" qemu

Can QEMU do ARM chips?

nvm found the wiki,
wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/ARM

PM'd you the fix ;)

Wow fast, got it! :^)

...now I just need to wait for Win10 AME to finish installing and hogging all the cores so I can fire up Ubuntu in VirtualBox and install QEMU and then Raspbian on that.

qemu is literally 2 commands, and then you can just make an alias for your boot command

VMware if you want a job

>esxi if you want a job

ftfy

A job doing what exactly?

qemu can do anything.
you can make your thinkpad think it's a $35 raspberry pi.

virtualization

Oh, and how well does that pay?

300k starting

Oh well, that's a bit of a step down then. I think I'll stick with VirtualBox.

using kvm+qemu with gpu pass-through and looking-glass, it works alright.
installed the vm on a separate partition so I can natively boot into it when Im lazy.

what are the main differences between virtualbox and, say, vmware? if any. is there a difference security-vise? and what are all those other virtualization platforms for, anyway

The price

used parallels, It's nice but don't want to pay for it, even on student discount. I also hate mac.

Full time VirtualBox. Ultimate student discount of Free and open source

gnome+boxes

Guys will Win8 work on a SD card. I don't care about read performance.

Lmao

I can't use Gnome Boxes because I can't save files to the shared directory in Microsoft Access. It works fine in Virtual Box.

>you can make your thinkpad think it's a $35 raspberry pi.
That's an improvement.

VMware has better features

Hi, i have a weak computer(the problem really is my cpu, and since i dont have any money right now and am unemployed i cant risk overclocking,AMD Athlon II X2 250 btw).
I heard vmware is more efficient than oracle, how much more efficient is it?
I run a kali VM and i sometimes feel like some of the commands i input have a higher lag than it should have.
Does having dual boot affect this in any way?

Yes.
You can even run those binaries transparently (on Linux).
ownyourbits.com/2018/06/13/transparently-running-binaries-from-any-architecture-in-linux-with-qemu-and-binfmt_misc/

>vmware is the better virtualization to-
Uh?
It cant even open OVAs
LMAO

Attached: Screenshot_2.png (584x228, 25K)

It'll shred that card but I can't see why not.

VMWare doesn't emulate PCI or PCIe, Virtual Box does.
VMWare doesn't emulate sound blaster, Virtual Box does.
VMWare doesn't support SVGA, Virtual Box does.
If you're just planning on using a 40 year spreadsheet program I doubt you'd actually notice the difference between the two, though.

Alter template/config.

VMware actually works, virtual box doesnt.
There is a reason any self-respecting company only uses VMware and not virtual box, virtual box is unreliable.

>everyone uses this meme virtual machine so it must be good
Totally bro!

>actually works
Vbox is ass but that's not an argument.

>>everyone uses this meme virtual machine so it must be good
>Totally bro!
Ok.

Attached: 1503780956837.png (809x747, 860K)

crack/activator/patch testing

Attached: 1556322761352.jpg (644x555, 78K)

>save machine state
>for some reason now i cant close vmware becuz machine is busy xddddddd
sasuga vmware-sama

what is the purpose of vm's?

I run a bunch of VMs with QEMU+libvirt on my server for various tasks. Thinking of switching to nspawn containers. I also occasionally test new operating systems in GNOME Boxes.

Is Proxmox any good or is ESXi the only real option for VM clusters?

>try QEMU on Win7
>read through install and use instructions
>lots of flamming hoops like any other bullshit nix faggotry

Christ, get your fucking shit together already you command line using shitfarts. It is 2019.

Attached: 1459905198192.gif (395x313, 1.99M)

>clickety clack xd Im such good compooter user

Should I build a PC dedicated to KVM+Qemu with VFIO or is it a waste of time? I just want to use Windows without having to dual boot..

its pretty easy to setup these days, works with stock kernel.
peripherals is the most annoying part about it, but looking-glass takes care of mouse/keyboard at least.
if it would be worth it end the end? I dont know.
my setup is fairly complicated, having the tv hooked up to the dgpu, using both the igpu and dgpu for monitors, booting both linux and windows natively and windows also in the vm. also desktop monitors are low-dpi and look like shit. all of that combined with the fact my pc has hardware issues makes me basically just not use it anymore, Im basically always on my hdpi linux laptop.
now that Im thinking about it, if windows wasnt such an unstable piece of shit, I would probably just use linux in a vm.

how do i emulate a phone?

Maybe use a management daemon like libvirtd and a graphical access utility like Red Hat virt-manager or cockpit-machines?
>Win7
Why would you even run QEMU then? Use Hyper-V

i have pfsense with a dual port intel nic and an auxiliary internet facing rhel server running on my desktop in qemu/kvm
works beautifully

Attached: 1553545672312.png (299x291, 154K)

>it's just 2 commands lmao
kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/Fedora-28-QEMU-command-line-by-libvirt.txt

At least promote the use of virt-manager

Proxmox is great

I use Qemu/HAXM on Windows 10 to run 9front, and then I drawterm into it.

i was using qemu with virt-manager, and it slowed everything down.
some helpful soul on Jow Forums helped me troubleshoot the slowness, and most of it was due to a bios setting; however, for whatever reason, qemu from the command line ran software flawlessly while qemu through virt-manager resulted in noticeable lag.

podman > systemd-machined > Docker > LXC > VMWare > QUEMU/KVM > VirtualBox

Correct?

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.99M)

That makes absolutely no sense. What BIOS setting? VT-x/SVM?

no idea about podman systemd-machined and docker but imho:
QUEMU/KVM/Xen == Docker > Shitware > Virtualbox > LinuXidon'tworkinnonprivledgedmodenomatterwhatyoudoContainers
Docker literally lxc+automation feature+just werks as non-privledged+store with shit done by other people(automation thingy)

VirtualBox or Hyper-V better on Windows?
Hyper-V has nested virtualisation I know at least.

The only saving grace of vmware is that it's popular in the enterprise

Hyper-V has broken login when u use 3d acceleration on linux guests

he doesn't know what he's talking about.
but probably intel virtualization

I do three different things:

1. I set up a VGA passthrough using Qemu on a Kubuntu host with VT-d support for a Windows 10 LTSC guest

2. I'm running a VMware Horizon Client inside that Windows 10 VM in order to remotely connect to the enterprise's VMware VDI's infrastructure

3. Back to the Kubuntu I also have a VirtualBox with standard VT-x running a RHEL image