Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: lennypringles.jpg (600x600, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Oc08ZPc30Zs
news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-says-ccleaner-for-windows-is-meh-494238.shtml
workplace.stackexchange.com/a/23174
stackoverflow.com/questions/5827164/why-does-my-jar-file-execute-at-cmd-but-not-on-double-click
stackoverflow.com/a/30571306
rafsimons.com/ss19
rafsimons.com/dynamic/audio/spring19/out000.mp3
docs.peer5.com/guides/production-ready-hls-vod/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why does XQuartz take ages to start up?

Is my phone battery dying? When I'm charging it battery only goes down instead of filling up. The only way to fill it is by leaving it alone which would take one full day. Pls help

Attached: 57750812_368046793917600_2737554786592227328_n.jpg (960x720, 67K)

Yes it is. I had this issue happen on a laptop once, although to a lesser extent. Was solved by replacing the internal battery

Check your battery usage in the battery settings. maybe you have an app taking your battery power. It's possible to use more power than the ac adapter can provide. I've only heard of this happening on laptops, but it's possible on phones too.

Mother's day is coming up and I'm looking for a good mobile media player that's simple enough for an technologically inept woman to use. What would you lads recommend? Plain old iPod nano?

>media player
for what? audio?

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention that. Audio.

ya rly stupid question here I'm installing arch Linux

what is M-D M-M M-A etc on keyboard. ive never used those black/white menus before

Is Microsoft edge good?

Well ipod touch 6g 16gb is $149 on Apple outlet. Ken rockwell says it's a "wonderful high-fidelity audio source". Supports Apple music, Spotify and Pandora so that should be easy to use for your mom.

I got a 2080. I have a 4690. I'm getting shit framerates. Is it 100% guaranteed a CPU bottleneck or could it be something else?

Attached: file.png (121x82, 3K)

But my battery is non removable :(
I only opened just one app with every use. Is the background processes cause this?

Are you 12? Nobody here gives a shit whether your battery is glued-in or screwed-in or literally up your asshole.

my uneducated guess is that u can't AVX512 or some shit

>AVX512
could that have any actual impact on whats happening to me?

>shit framerates
Doing what?
>could it be
Literally anything. I'm glad we have SQT to quarantine this idiocy.

What resolution are you running at? The answer is yes, but not as much as you think, especially if you're willing to overclock. A good Haswell and a Coffee Lake processor are almost neck and neck in certain benchmarks.

youtu.be/Oc08ZPc30Zs

i'm at 1440p, got this card hoping to do 144fps in medium/high settings, severely disappointed
this processor is not overclockable because of (((intel)))

Attached: file.png (1024x640, 1.12M)

You're getting 55 fps at 4k though, considering "1440p" (which isn't a real monitor resolution name), is less than half that, you'd get minimum of 123fps, avg 150fps, max 186fps. What's the problem?

What would Jow Forums recommend me to try for numerical computations in general? I want to get rid of matlab shit, I do not need compatibility with it and know about octave.

does one still need third party registry cleaners on windows 10? every time windows 10 upgrades it just reinstalls the system and preserve all your installed programs

So if i needed to make a regedit to adobe reader dc but the actual entry doesn't exist can i just make the key and have Adobe reader understand?

You already know about Octave. What more do you need? Truly an appropriate post for SQT.

I mean, MATLAB is the standard for a reason. I suppose you could always try Rust though if that's more your thing.

In general, Microshit has never liked reg cleaners. They say that the current registry system is fine and it will eventually remove links to unused registries automatically (Hence the reinstall thing) and have even taken a stand against CCleaner in general.

Ultimately, registry cleaning is not needed for most users unless the machine is, for example, a windows 7 or earlier that's been running for over 5 years or so, atleast from experience. And automatic regeditors are stupid and can infact brick the system (Which is why all of them offer to back-up the registry value's before removing anything) In my own experience, I've had to personally mess with the registry 3 times in 10 years. And if you do need to use the registry, learn how it works and edit them manually, it's the best choice. Make a backup of the registry (Or system) when possible and if there are changes because Microshit decides so, just throw it back in. Here's a link to them on CCleaner:
news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-says-ccleaner-for-windows-is-meh-494238.shtml

why do you fucking need 144fps?

I want to stream content from a raspberry pi to another device but have the stream password protected. What's the best way to do this without accidentally streaming to an unwanted device or someone picking up?

It depends on the device honestly. I'm sure you know of Raspicast but you may be looking for something different. Streaming to computer? TV? Android/Apple? Some chinese bootleg shit? And what kind of streaming? Audio or Video?

So, I bought a Netgear NAS and the setup instructions say I have to reformat every HDD I put into it.

I was hoping that I could throw all my old HDD's into it and use it as a hub to browse my old data. Can I not do that?

I'm trying to stream music and videos from the pi to an android device.

Been searching this heavily and still having a hard time. Feel like im at the end of my rope.

So, just got a new laptop that uses two GPUs, a weaker integrated one and powerful hybrid one. I am trying to make Minecraft use the powerful one. In the AMD settings, I have set Minecraftlauncher.exe to use it, as well as javaw.exe to use it, which as far as I can tell, is the actual application that runs Minecraft (its what appears in "recent applications" in AMD panel after I run it). But, Minecraft itself is still not using the good GPU. In my search, it appears that something about Java is simply not recognized as a "game" and will always use the integrated? Is there any way around this, at all? I have quite a good GPU but can hardly play Minecraft at all because it seems intent on using the weaker integrated card.

Essentially, how do I force a java program to use the good GPU?

I registered a .es domain name (it's a domain hack with my last name) and used it to make an email address, but somebody told me that they had problems getting my mail because of a phishing filter. Is it common to filter out Spanish domains and is there anything I can do to prevent it? I'd like to put the address on my resume but I'm worried about employers missing my mail or not being able to contact me.

Respectful bump on this request. If you game on a laptop (outside of trivial things), I'm curious what you are using and if you recommend it.

I've never had an issue with WD, but I hear about issues with Seagate now and then.

Sometimes the more relevant question is "is it enforceable?"
In both cases, I don't know and you should stay away to be safe.

It's far more likely, based on my own fallible personal experience, that your battery is shit and needs replacement rather than you somehow consuming more power than a charger can provide.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with the ipod recommendation in terms of an easy device to use. Old people seem to get apple a bit more than other devices.
I think a cheap, more generic mp3 player is still better though. Especially so if she wants to move music from CDs to it; that's easier without apple and their nonsense in my opinion.

Trying to get data from Google onto an Excel spreadsheet. It's just the population data for each state. If you Google, for example, population of Washington, it will give you an answer ahead of all the results. I'm trying to take that result and put it into a LibreOffice calculator cell so that I can have the values updated automatically. Is there any way to do this?

Hi, I'm learning C and I'm wondering how to initialize a bunch of doubly linked nodes in a for-loop..?

maybe someone could correct this for me

typedef struct{

size_t data;
struct Node *next;
struct Node *prev;
} Node;

int main(){

Node *head = (Node *)malloc(sizeof(Node));
Node **pp = &head;
head->prev = NULL;

for (int i=0; idata = i;
printf("%ld\n", current->data);
(*pp)->next = ¤t;
current->prev = pp;
*pp = ¤t;
}

return 0;

}

basically...can't make threads. it says error upload file. and idk if i can post with a picture attached (yet) until i succesfully post this with an image. what is going on?

Attached: sharpie.jpg (1500x1357, 1.26M)

I have Wingblows installed on one disk and I want to install Arch on the other one while being able to boot both of them. Where should I install GRUB? Let's say Windows is on /dev/sda and Arch will be installed on /dev/sdb.

YAY I DID IT, ALSO I'M GAY!

What are some replacements for Google Translate?

Preferably offline Windows ones

Nibbers.

Attached: 0eYANaAbVdU.jpg (612x614, 55K)

pls be gay but also informative. why can't i post threads?

Which is better fit for freelance work, graphic design or programming?

Can I plug my CPU cord and PCIE cords into ANY slot labelled cpu/pcie? If so, why do other power supplies separate the cpu/pcie connectors? All my other PSU had a specific slot for CPU, but this one has CPU/PCIe.

Pic related, my PSU.

Attached: focus-plus-gold-connector-side.jpg (1600x1200, 237K)

Anybody here know about NAS's?

how can i make firefox never check for updates? i changed the update url in about:config and deleted the updater.exe, it still shows up..

I got a new PC case, it's better in every way except my old one had 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0, this new one only has 2 2.0 and 1 3.0
Has anyone ever swapped out front panel 2.0 ports for 3.0? My case is one of those dumb modern ones with no front expansion slots so I can't just buy an expansion

Need help installing Windows 10.
After the the installer has copied the files, it says it's getting ready to restart. After the restart, it takes me back to the installation. Any ideas? I've tried removing the usb that has the installer, but then my laptop just says there's no bootable drive.

After the Renovate Ice rom died because the dev lost his S8+ or something I've been wondering how the hell I get back to stock rom on my S8. I've got TWRP, custom firmware, obviously rooted the thing, and the custom rom. Is it enough to just get the stock rom?

Where do I begin unfucking my phone?

Is it possible to completely wide my SSD through BIOS?

>can i plug...into any
yes. this is seasonic. they wouldn't let you fuck up without a fight.

So my laptop fans keep making loud noises and vibrating on and off increasing and decreasing tempo depending on how much they get worked. I've popped the cover and gotten dust out, I've updated drivers for them. They keep doing it. Fuck's going on?

Anyone have this problem before?
My HDD makes a noise (like a beep-ish) and then after a few seconds my computer crashes. I think the HDD is dying or something but I don't know what's causing it or if it's just "natural". Built it 3 years ago.

Attached: 1541825988589.png (517x488, 316K)

I don't find that using vim without a mouse is any faster. Am I just not used to all the hotkeys yet to tell? Maybe my typing speed isn't fast enough for me to appreciate the benefits? The time it takes for me to get to command-line mode and then navigate is slower than if I just click around.

It's possible. Make sure to back up everything now, just in case.
Run some of SMART drive utility to see the drive's self-reported health.

Good software or cmd lines to completely wipe my hard drive? Going to sell my laptop.

Pending Sector Count is at 200. Am I dead?

If it's not an SSD, then DBAN.

Set your boot drive as first in the bios boot order.

High framerates is where processor is most important. You're only running a 4 core where 6-8 actual, 12-16 w/hyperthreading is normal now. Get an 8700 or Ryzen 2 if you want your framerates to improve.

Not likely. You would need a utility that runs the secure erase command, usually a bootable one provided by the drive manufacturer.

I recently set myself a goal to make some side cash through programming this year. I already do it for regular work, but I want to start looking into freelancing or even just making bullshit apps or something else with ad revenue, but I only really have any experience wagecucking it. I'll really settle for making a dollar, I just want to get started with it. Just wondering if anybody has suggestions on avenues to start looking down to get started with this.
Shitty place to ask this advice, and for what it's worth I'm not planning on using this as my sole source of information, just a quick place to do so.

How can you calculate how many visitors per day you can support on a webserver ?
The website I have is right now is tiny (1,5 MB for all content on all pages) so connections are dealt with really fast, but how can I calculate how many connections it could support at once or per day ?
Is there a linear increase with CPU core count and ram ?
I currently have 1 CPU core and 1 GB of ram in my small hosting package if that helps, the server is running Apache (as well as mysql and php but my website is just HTML5/CSS3).

Somebody else probably has a legit answer for this, but I'd just say don't waste time preemptively worrying about scaling.

Sounds like your pages are static. Just check some apache benchmarks for general numbers.

it's an ssd

Then don't call it a hard drive. You'll need to use the utility put out by the manufacturer to do a secure erase.

>hard drive
>it's an SSD
SQT never disappoints.

How do I deal with a coworker who writes 10 lines of code a day?

Report it to your boss/teamleader

workplace.stackexchange.com/a/23174

Is there a more accurate online Japanese to English translation? Google translate is weird

What a stupid question.
Thank goodness you're here!

how can i make firefox never check for updates? i changed the update url in about:config and deleted the updater.exe, it still shows up

I had this blue usb 3.0 port on my laptop that I used for my external hard drive. Problem(?) is I can't use it for my phone. It only charges my phone instead of transferring data. Wat do? Is it faulty or missing something?

Attached: dwarf.jpg (1067x1600, 190K)

how do I tell if file like .7z, .zip, .rar etc. has some botnet in it?

Do USB 3.0 external hard drive enclosures come in exclusively USB powered variants? Any recommendations?

how do I replace the file explorer in windows 7 with 7-zip file manager? As for Firefox, the mime-type list in the options is devoid of the generic file option it used to have and I'm not sure what to put in the handlers.json. I would be content with having just Firefox open 7-zip instead of windows explorer, if that's the easier route.

You're probably better off learning a bit of Japanese yourself

Any 2,5 inch drive should be usb powered without a power brick these days. Western Digital is a good brand, avoid Seagate.

Phone might not support USB 3, do you maybe need to toggle the data connection on when you connect the phone ?

Depends what kind of programming.
Someone asked this once when making websites (I can't remember if it was this general) and the biggest tip that was posted was to just go to businesses and ask if they needed a website for cheap.
I guess you could market yourself in a similar way, asking if they need a custom bit of software (maybe to keep track of inventory or something).

Either is good but do the one you enjoy the most. Learning both is useful in case one of the two has no work at the moment.
I'm doing the same with graphic design and web dev.

Maybe make a .com or something that isn't blocked ?
Honestly I haven't heard of .es domains getting blocked before by a spam list, usually it's because of the content and not the domain.

why can i run a program from powershell but not from double clicking it on the desktop?
Theres an answer here which helped these guys but i tried it and it didnt work
stackoverflow.com/questions/5827164/why-does-my-jar-file-execute-at-cmd-but-not-on-double-click

stackoverflow.com/a/30571306

i deleted the register but i cant run the commands afterwards

You need to be more precise when you want people to help you. "It doesn't work" is useless.

What did you run exactly?
What was the output?
Did you get an error message?
Why can't you run the commands?

sorry, i tried running what the answer said in the command prompt after deleting the register but it said 'C:\' is not recognized as an internal or external command

Don't paste the c:\> thing, it's just an indicator that it's run on the console.
Paste what's after that.

You should have something like c:\users\user\> already

And don't forget to replace "path\to\your\javaw.exe" with your actual javaw.exe path.
Don't blindly run things, a little bit of thinking is required.

i tried to run the first command: assoc .jar=jarfile but it says
Access is denied.
Error occurred while processing: .jar.

Looking for some clarification on the Arrays vs Lists

All arrays are lists but not all lists are arrays,
Lists can hold different data types while an array is composed of elements of one data type.

Or am I just a retard?

You need to run the command prompt as administrator.
Search for it and on the right side you get the option to do so.
Alternatively you can right click it -> run as administrator

Attached: 1527589142181.png (420x383, 8K)

What language?

whats a good file hosting site? i need to put a video in the background of my website but github only lets me upload 25mb files

You don't want a single file this large on your website, especially not as background.
Chunk it up and use HLS/DASH streaming instead if it MUST be the entire video.

its for one page actually. i get why youd think this but i tried compressing it and the quality drop was always disgusting.

its in a style similar to fashion websites

rafsimons.com/ss19

Your example page is using HLS and small chunks instead of one large file.

All languages, I'm just looking for clarification on terminology here.Obviously some languages support lists while others only support arrays.

Does the terminology necessarily change depending on the language?

i did it and im pretty sure it worked, no errors showed but i stillcant run my program with using powershell. i dont think i did this properly though:
i try run it with replacing it with my actual path but it says
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

is it? i only found a vimeo video in the source which was 151MB. Also if you're good at finding shit, can you see the audio source on that website? i cant see it

The audio is chunked too, rafsimons.com/dynamic/audio/spring19/out000.mp3
and increment the 000 to 001 etc.

I didn't realize it was a vimeo video, but they chunk it.
You're better off looking for things in your browsers developer tools under the network tab instead of looking at the source.

You can use ffmpeg to chunk up your files and even provide different bitrates/resolutions so a small phone screen doesn't need to load a full hd version.
docs.peer5.com/guides/production-ready-hls-vod/

Attached: 1529392469568.png (926x375, 31K)

Jow Forums is fucked for me.
Only with using Jow Forums x though, no new updates for 4 days and I started getting this yesterday.
Jow Forums x works good on my laptop

Attached: Naamloos.png (1920x1080, 369K)