What's with these names?

What's with these names?

Attached: Capture.png (249x230, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2990941/update-to-add-native-driver-support-in-nvm-express-in-windows-7-and-wi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

M.2 is a form factor
22XX describes the length of the drive so 42mm 60mm and so on.

They're just different size length cards.

you're a nigger, I can't believe you killed a thread for this.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying

What about U2 and AIC?

>implying anything of value was lost
At least this thread is tech related unlike the other shit on this board.

You don't like quality threads like these?

Again differing form factors just like mSATA

This isn't a tech thread, this is a "do my homework for me" thread.

And I still prefer it over the 6th gorrilionth jews niggers and tranny thread.

why the fuck would it start with 22?

tech naming is retarded, don't even get me started on Sony

First time M2 user, can someone explain why installing the required drivers for this thing is such a pain in the ass on Windows 7?

I bought an ADATA SX8200 M2 SSD, and I'm confused because I don't know what I need to get this thing up and running on a Windows 7 installation ISO or a system that's already installed.

My laptop manufacturer doesn't have any NVME drivers on its website, ADATA doesn't offer any NVME drivers either, the device shows up as unrecognized in windows, but is detected by the UEFI BIOS, WTF?

Because Windows 7 was made long before the M.2 standard was implemented.

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2990941/update-to-add-native-driver-support-in-nvm-express-in-windows-7-and-wi

>why the fuck would it start with 22?
Honestly don't know cause I never cared enough to find out. But just wait till you get into M.2 keying and finding out that there is a difference between M.2 and M.2 NVMe but there is also a difference between b key, m key, and m+b keying.
Tech naming is a shitshow just look at USB and their revisions where everyone involved in that dumpster fire should just be publicly executed by this point, not like this is a new problem though..

So, my only option is to rebuild the .wim files in the Windows 7 ISO by adding the NVME hotfix? I can't simply pull a driver and load it during the installation?

I already spent ~2 hours dealing with rebuilding .wim files on the ISO, turns out Windows is unreliable as hell, the darn thing booted successfully or failed at random after adding the USB 3.0 driver to it.

Might as well just drop this piece of shit and only install Debian on this laptop

It's 22mm wide.

or you know, windows 10, the OS that actually had NVMe in mind during it's development.

I've got a lot of issues with Win10, mainly the fact that the thing keeps sending a shitload
of telemetry data even after disabling most of its telemetry functionality via third party tools, I also don't want updates forced into my throat or my OS randomly hogging my CPU/Storage for whatever reason.

I work with Win10 VMs and I cannot fathom how people use that as their daily OS.

Maybe it's a good thing that NVME support is bolted on to Win7 like that, this gives me a reason to get rid of this trash OS for once.

M.2 is a connector's form factor
NVMe is a protocol
If you can't tell the difference, you shouldn't even bother with computers in the first place

lmao, oh so you're retarded.

Carry on

Yeah no shit and it still is confusing as fuck to the average consumer cause they don't know what a form factor or a protocol is in the first place.

The average consumer buy prebuilt anyway

Give LTSC a try. Telemetry wise it's on the same level as patched Win 7 is doesn't come with any of the bloat and you got full access to GPO etc unlike the cucked consumer versions.
But honestly if I could I'd have changed to Debian or OpenSUSE but oh well work ties me to Windows so I use the least shit version.

I already replaced most of my Windows application needs with open source software on Linux, but there's a handful of applications that require my GPU so I can't really run them in a VM, because this is an Optimus laptop, it can't into PCI passthrough.

I might give LTSC a try on my desktop with PCI passthrough, but I wouldn't trust the thing anyways because MS can slip in an update that reverts telemetry behavior at any time, it would probably be safer to run the VM under a network whitelist.

No, I'm not retarded, just unwilling to give my data to MS that easily, even if the alternatives are rather unpractical.

>trusts W7 implicitly
>can't trust W10, even LTSC cause the jewwwwss

uh huh...

I don't implicitly trust Win7, I've been using it for years and I monitor from time to time whether it's sending any suspicious bulks of data to MS, the only traffic I see out of my Win7 VMs is NTP/UPnP/SMB, which is practically harmless.

If you worry about telemetry you really should look into Win 7s updates. A up to date Win 7 is just as bad as Win 10 no matter what people here try to shill all day. But yeah the best you can do is have a hardware firewall and monitor all outgoing traffic. I don't trust LTSC as far as I can throw it but after tweaking it a bit it literally almost never sends out anything and it's always just small packets in the byte size it's trying to send so I don't really worry about it personally.

Are they confusing? Should they be called "M.2 Fast" and "M.2 New Fast" etc, instead?
They make perfect sense already.

They aren't meant for the "average consumer". How did you even get that idea?

Why the fuck is it M.2?
Why dot anything?
Why not call it Mini PCI-E the way it fucking should be.

>implying M.2 and NVMe aren't marketing buzzword bullshit bingo to sell more shit to consumers
You wot? Have you left the house in the last year user? Everyone and their mom is shilling M.2 and NVMe to consumers as something they really need. It's not some enterprise PCIe antenna card.

There should be regular PCI-E and Mini PCI-E. There's no need for M.2.

No, they're shilling it to gamers, and decently high end laptops.

Pretty much no one is shilling it to the average joe.