Why is this allowed?

Why is this allowed?

Attached: 2^10 nigger.png (656x400, 10K)

Murder them user, that will show google.

We knew from the very beginning that the original sin of using metric notation just because one power of 2 happened to be pretty close to 1024 would come back and bite us. We just thought we were clever. There are 10 kinds of people.

That's what ISO is? Kilo means 1000. You're probably thinking of kibibytes.

Because a kilo is 1000.
A Kibi is 1024.
So, 1KiB=1024B
1KB=1000B
It's not that hard. Retard.

Kibibyte is a made up bullshit to excuse HDD manufacturers from changing their measurement from binary to metric so they could slap a bigger number on the box and trick people into thinking they were getting more for their money than they actually are.

>Kibibyte is a made up bullshit
As is kilobyte, and kilogram, and a meter.

kilo means 1000 idiot.

are you using ISO timestamps

Kill yourself zoomer.

Is a kilogram 1024 grams or is that something they made up too?
Yeah didn't think so, eat shit brainlet.

It's entirely this. The *ibibyte bullshit all started after the major HDD manufacturers were sued in class action and lost.

>A binary measurement is the same as a decimal measurement
The only brainlet here you.

It's 2^10. It's still an order of ten difference like metric but not gay.

>I don't know what a prefix is!
Do you have someone remind you on when to inhale and exhale?

found the retarded amerimutt that doesn't understand how standards work

Yeah I'm sure the people who laid the groundwork for modern computing in the 1930s through the 80s were dumbasses that couldn't breath properly which is why they defined a kilobyte as 1024 bytes.

Sorry your boomer operating system lied to you about what a kilobyte is but it's time to move on now gramps. 1024 bytes is called a kibibyte.

Attached: kilobyteis100bytes.png (1092x450, 83K)

Prefix+metric. That's how it works.
Kilo (prefix) Byte (metric)
1,000 Bytes. Don't fucking like it? Fine, continue being a retarded faggot. No one is obviously going to stop you. But the measurement remains regardless how much water you have on your brain. Either you'll learn, or you'll stay here bitching about shit you can't even grasp understanding.

Attached: kilobyte.png (1893x393, 77K)

>Wikipedia as a source
>In the same image says it's 1024
Just lol.

also says it's 1000. guess they both are right.

No, it just states that some dumb boomers misuse the term. It clearly states that it actually means 1000 bytes.

Because it's correct.

>1KB=1000B
It's kB, retard.

mixed case lettering is bourgeois decadence

Kilo is always denoted with a small k because a large K is kelvin.
But, more importantly, JEDEC defines KB as 1024 Bytes.
But even more importantly, bits are denoted with a small b, so by your same mixed case bullshit logic we shouldn't use Kb, or Mb, or Gb, and also that KiB, MiB and GiB shouldn't be used.

Just use the correct fucking denotations.

>we shouldn't use Kb, or Mb, or Gb, and also that KiB, MiB and GiB shouldn't be used.
All true.

Attached: 1463983252078.jpg (540x545, 52K)

Submit your proposed changes then.

Because you're a fucking retard. Kill yourself.

zoomzoomzoom

Attached: zuum.gif (400x293, 58K)

kb, KB, kb/s = 1024 bytes
kays, megs, gigs, tees
kbits, kbps for bits
kB , KiB verboten

>kbits ... for bits
I'm not sure you understand the purpose of unit symbols.

hardware manufacturers (storage, memory, networking) say it's 2^10

it's 2^10
end of story

It's not.

Literally any company that sells any tech with RAM (Apple, MS, Nvidia, AMD, etc) ALL use kB = 1024 bytes. Nobody actually says Gibi or those other retarded meme names.

Also any who defends kB = 1000 is a massive hypocrite since they still use base 2 units on their system instead of going full base 10 units... Apple at least is consistent and uses base 10 units using SI system.

the exact opposite actually
they say it's 10^3
they got sued out the ass for using SI prefixes for different stuff
only microsoft and american boomer software with no grasp on metric prefixes insist on using them wrong

No, kilo is ISO notation and have meant EXACTLY 1000 since the 1700s. Calling it kilobytes is literally like saying "Exactly 1000 bytes".

If they named it "exactly 1000 bites" then it is perfectly understandable that they invent a term that means 1024 bytes instead of trying to change the meaning of "exactly 1000 bytes" to mean a little more than 1000 bytes.

t. thread about amerimutts not understanding measurement systems

Kilo=10^3
Kibi=2^10

There is nothing wrong with it you idiot

And kilobyte means 1024 bytes. Pretty simple, huh?

>they say it's 10^3
Find me any RAM on newegg using 1000 bytes per kilobyte.

Yeah, except that it doesn't. Specifically, "kilo-" as a prefix means "1000", which in particular means that "kilobyte" means "1000 byte[s]". Which makes your statement contradictory.

This would be convenient if true. But it's not actually the case.

Hardware has been using notations where kilobyte could either mean 1000 or 1024, depending on what is most convenient for that particular use case. Solid state memory [which includes RAM] naturally comes in power-of-two sizes, and are therefore traditionally denoted in powers of 2, usually using SI prefixes. Networking equipment, on the other hand, almost always uses powers-of-10 units; a 100 Mbit/s network card does in fact to 100*10^6 bits per second, not 100*2^20, and they also traditionally use SI units, which here is in fact in accordance with SI standards. Storage media varies wildly historically; hard drives have used both 2-based and 10-based units, even going back all the way to the 70s. Hard disk data transfer speeds in "megabyte per second" are always in powers of 10. A "700 MB" CDROM contains slightly over 700 MiB; a "4.7 GB DVD" contains 4.7 GB.

The idea that everyone used to use binary units and then switched to decimal units later for marketing purposes is an attractive one. But it doesn't really pan out in history at all. People used both forms interchangeably, where things could mean either one or the other depending on context and the phase of the moon. The move to decimal forms didn't change historic usage to something more commercially appealing, it switched from an inconsistent mess to a consistent system.

And yes, that was definitely abused to hell by disk manufacturers, and I'm sure this was in fact their motivation. But that doesn't make the story of a switch from powers-of-2 standards to powers-of-10 standards any more accurate.

normans can't into binary and

2^10 = KB (Kilobyte, 1024 bytes)
2^20 = MB (Megabyte, 1024 Kilobytes)
2^30 = GB (Gigabyte, 1024 Megabytes)
...and so on...

Its not about reality and facts its about agreed upon "truth" and redefinition of terms. Even automatons like repeating the revisionist history as if its fact, literally useful idiots.
Sign of the times, fren.

Kilo does not mean ^10 of whatever numeral system your on, it means 1000 of the unit it's prefixed to.

There are people here right know that don't know what kilo means.
Fuck this place.

Attached: r1zr3jm86ba11.jpg (550x543, 83K)

Anyone who thinks that kilobyte is 1024 bytes is a boomer retard and will probably die off within ten years.
I'm glad that a lot of Linux software is finally using KiB instead of kB.

That's not relevant. Kilo doesn't denote 1000 in relation to computer systems, it never did. The current new speak redefinition of kilo starts with kilo=kilogram which was the entire definition before it was redefined to the what you're mindlessly repeating. Plus there's
>kilo: It is used in the International System of Units where it has the unit symbol k, in lower case
I used K not k, why can't you get the agreed upon "truth" your mindlessly repeating strait?

>That's not relevant.
>What the thing you're using means is irrelevant in trying to determine what it means
Ayy lmao.

>kilo: It is used in the International System of Units where it has the unit symbol k, in lower case
>I used K not k, why can't you get the agreed upon "truth"
Oh yeah sorry, you're just retarded then and said something meaningless in that case. MB and GB still apply though.

I know both of you don't understand, especially since misplacing significance on ^10 like the brainlets you both are.

2^2 = 4 (word)
2^3 = 8 (byte, 8 bit processor)
2^4 = 16 (16, 16 bit processor)
2^5 = 32 (32 bit processor)
2^6 = 64 (64 bit processor)

Someone who could think would have noticed the 2^n is what's relevant, but neither of you know anything beyond facebook usage about computers.

I realize that, it doesn't change what words mean.

this is correct, though.
Are posts like this what happens when murilards don't learn the metric system?

That's bits, not bytes.

literally hear "kibibytes" first time in my entire life

you just gonna ignore JEDEC ?

Attached: 1547600889096.png (1616x444, 36K)

nvm i figured it out

Attached: n word.png (820x868, 110K)

New speak doesn't apply, I agree. 1024 bytes in a KB like its always been. Base 2 (2^n) not base 10 (10^n).

2^n for both bits and bytes. Its literally how computers work. Even apple in their file system development (not user npc) documentation uses 1024 because that's how computers work.

>Also any who defends kB = 1000 is a massive hypocrite since they still use base 2 units on their system
No, that's the normal SI base 10 system.

KiB / GiB / TiB and so on is the base 2 one. That's the point.

Microsoft didn't make this distinction and it's now a long road to fix it, but it'll be fixed eventually.

>New speak doesn't apply
but the SI is not newspeak, it's a system accepted everywhere except a couple of third world countries, namely the United States and Lebanon.

Yes, because you don't want to ignore IEC and otherwise very uniform SI logic.

It also makes no sense to alter the SI logic for basket weaving just because some idiot manufacturer used units of 9.9 instead of 10.

unrelated user here, when i was in school not even a decade ago we were literally taught that a kilobyte was 2^20 bytes :)

>we were literally taught that a kilobyte was 2^20 bytes
Well that's wrong under any definition

haha yes. typo. 2^10 my bad. or 1024. i see from wikipedia kibi came into existence in 2009, november.

SI units are new speak in relation to computers. 1 KB = 1024 bytes until a committee not involved in computers decided to redefine kilobyte to have a alternative meaning. Not fact based, base 2 but committee agreed upon "truth". Its literally new speak.

Holy shit. Even casual comparison with any software or any reference text will immediately show this is wrong.

Why can't they find people who teach at least the basics correctly?

Wow, who would've thought that schools can teach wrong things?

Y'all retarded. Kilo means 1000, unless you're a woman, then it's 790. Kilobyte is actually 4201 ytes, or 128 big toes for our american friends. This a common mistake, the prefix is kilob instead of kilo. Of course, all of these values are halved on sunday since that's God's day.

sure thing, schizo
I bet the SJWs are infesting tech/gaming whatever else it is and the Jews are coming for you as well.

SI units are what inspired Microsoft's and other idiot's approximations. They just misused these prefixes when they already were defined for powers of tens.

Yes, this is exactly the same case as an idiot basket weaving company "first" using 9.9 for their baskets, it doesn't make it logical or sane to use even if it's how it was "first" done for their product line.

Kilo- is the prefix to indicate the following quantity is times 10^3. That we had to do KiloBinary- is already a sad hack.

1998*

>I was wrong for a long time so that makes me right
>I misused this term with a clear definition, but it's you who's engaging in newspeak

Attached: 20190206162745_1153x737_scrot.png (1153x737, 679K)

Jow Forums is dead

More like byte us

This has nothing to do with socjus, fuck off polfag.

>Kilo- is the prefix to indicate the following quantity is times 10^3
Computers aren't base 10 (10^n), they are base 2 (2^n).
Solve for n: 10^n = 64

That's a lie, though. It doesn't matter how far they revise history by backdating or other underhanded things, its not going to change fact.

how many movies is that?

Then we all hope you never had any type of technical education in regards to computers.

thats why you don't skip uni user
to learn such pantry dropping chad technological terminologies

>Also any who defends kB = 1000 is a massive hypocrite since they still use base 2 units on their system instead of going full base 10 units... Apple at least is consistent and uses base 10 units using SI system.

Thing is.. Apple does NOT use KiB/GiB/MiB, they use the base 10 unites.. You plug in a hard drive on a Apple product, it'll give you the full 250GB or whatever the disk size is.

Why don't freetards use base 10 units if they think SI is so great?

ill believe google over you, who insists kibibyte is history revision

Checked and keked

Attached: 0fhgvut6ygb01.jpg (1280x720, 75K)

>I'll believe google...
Yikes!

you've heard of "kibibytes" now get ready for... """mebibytes"""!
i want to die

Because computers are base 2, so instead of using SI's base 10 units we use new units created for base 2.

kibi is totally an iso compliant term

So you use cuck units instead?

JEDEC is what computers have always used.

If you want to switch definitions then also switch units, you cuck.

That's right, though. Kilo = 1000.
I can tell you're an American.

Bytes are measured in base 10 and bits are measured in base 8. This isn't hard. 1000b = 1 kb is 100% correct.

>kiloX is 10^3 in decimal
>No marketing jew has pushed for kiloX to mean 2^3 in binary yet

metric vs binary, computers work in binary but most people count in metric

I know about "kibibytes" and all that, but I never use it for the simple reason that it sounds too silly to me. Am I the only one?

The purpose of SI is interoperability, and that requires everyone use the same base - base 10. If I'm designing a hard drive and my goal is to store 1 kilobit per millimeter, I can do some math and move some decimal places around and figure out how big each bit needs to be. I don't want to have to multiply by 1000/1024 conversion factors.

Every other industry and discipline uses base 10. The idea that computers are somehow special and deserve their own unit prefixes is dumb. Kilo always means 1e3, mega always means 1e6, etc.

If computers are base 2 and therefore require base 2 units, then why are network speeds all in base 10? 100 Mb/s is 100000000 b/s, and always has been.

The reality is, early computers used 1024 because division was an expensive operation. They would have preferred to show 1000-byte kilobytes, but showing 1024-byte kilobytes allowed them to use a cheap bit shift operator instead and save several cycles. This was deemed close enough. Now that we have the compute speed to show real kilobytes with 1000 bytes, that's what we should do.

Attached: comfy_sysadmin.webm (1280x720, 1.6M)

> Apple does NOT use KiB/GiB/MiB, they use the base 10 unites
That is absolutely fine.

> Why don't freetards use base 10 units if they think SI is so great?
Many support it, some default to it. But this is not about base 10 being the best for everything and base 2 or base 16 etc. being useless.

It's only about not using SI base10 notation prefixes like "mega" for base2. The same way you are not using 0x number prefixes for binary - this is hex in C and other languages, it isn't supposed to be used "analogous" for base 18 or whatever just because someone thought numbers sometimes look close to correct regardless.

Imagine thinking this and then posting it

No, there are other people who are also retarded

>It's only about not using SI base10 notation prefixes like "mega" for base2.

But it's been that way since before you were born. There's no need to change it.

>kibble bites

Kibibyte is revisionist. Back in the 80s and 90s, a kilobyte was always 1024 bytes except on hard disks where manufacturers first promoted disks by how many characters they could store, and then switched to megabytes which they always included a footnote redefining it to 1,000,000 bytes. Mebi/kibi/etc are new since after 2000.

Attached: SAK ROK.jpg (424x283, 17K)

Your mom's revisionist.