Shill me (your) programming language

I know a lot of languages, some better than others. I'd tell you what I know but I don't want it to sway your decision + I don't want to sound like a faggot.

Tell me the language
Tell me what it's for
Tell me why I should use it

Attached: 1553162718626.png (596x391, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P76Vbsk_3J0
youtube.com/watch?v=wASCH_gPnDw
freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64682&sid=f8c5f7044dc3a147e62d32e95dadcdbc#p64682
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

html
everything
it's used for everything

Attached: paizuri heart.gif (500x500, 3.29M)

>html
>everything
>it's used for everything

sooner than usual, was expecting this to be at least 3rd comment

>Tell me the language
C++
>Tell me what it's for
Games
>Tell me why I should use it
It's not Rust.

>It's not Rust.
Sold. You could probably shill me Java if you say at least it's not Rust enough times.

Python 3.
It's used for simple things, and to glue together large things.
It's simple and fun, like a puppy.

>Tell me the language
C
>Tell me what it's for
anything
because you're not a pajeet (hopefully)

Honestly for some fucking around and simple shit like light automation etc Python 3 is absolutely based.

>tell me the language
haskell
>tell me what it's for
circlejerking in online forums
>tell me why I should use it
you can join a secret club

>Tell me the language
COBOL
>Tell me what it's for
COBOL
COBOL

Python.
Truly amazing syntax. No need to do Car mycar = new Car(); shit. It's just mycar = Car(). The spacing-dependent nature of it means code in it remains relatively clean and comfy. It also has a lot of cool stuff like lists instead of arrays, dictionaries, and a really nice library for working with JSON.
It's not rust
It's not rust
It's not rust
It's not rust
It's not rust
It's not rust

But user I already am shilled on Python (depending on what you need to do of course).

nodejs/iojs/ringojs
its javascript but it runs on the server (god why)
you get to put "full-stack developer" on your résumé with zero effort

Vala
Things you'd use C for
It's literally C but OOP

C
It's C
You should know C

Python is fucking awful and you should kill yourself, I am OP

redpill yourself on ruby

Shill me on it then. Python works for the few small projects I use it for so why change?

There a multiple reasons, here are a few.

Ruby has pretty much all the standard features of a high level language that python just doesn't have for seemingly no reason, such as case statements, proper ternary constants (seriously why doesn't python have constants). ruby's stdlib is based as fuck and its full of syntactical sugars like this: `lspci | grep VGA`[/(NVIDIA|AMD|INTEL)/] - that's regexed command output. It's also faster than python and recently got a jit

Binary.
Everything.
Because it's the only actual programming language, not a fucking framework like anything else.

>"C"
>Applications programming on Windows and games programming
>Its better than everything else and if you can't learn the syntax of "C" in 6 weeks find another career path.

Haskell, it makes your head hurt when you start out with it and it's all around a fucking meme language.

I'm waiting for Ruby to get actual parallelism whenever that drops. If I have to deal with a GIL I'm sticking with Python.

>Tell me the language
Lua
>Tell me what it's for
Shit that's not important enough to write in C
Because it's a super tiny, ultra portable, easily embeddable scripting language with one datatype, real lexical scoping (C style), and just enough OOP for when you want OOP, but no classes. The entire vanilla interpreter can run on a microcontroller.

F#
Whatever you want to do
It's a functional language but it actually makes you employable

Javascript

Full-stack programming

LISP

Attached: deep_lisp.png (565x63, 15K)

Met a COBOL Dev at my job the other day. I told him I thought you guys were just myths like unicorns. He got a good laugh out of it.

Attached: full.png (707x653, 17K)

>Tell me the language
D
>Tell me what it's for
system programming
static meta programming, no macro shit, not a mess like c++, and not as gay as rust.

Javascript/Node.JS
>literally need nothing but a browser
>can make webpages that cause seizures at the apple store with very little effort
>make fake tweets
>make twitter bots
>contribute to the downfall of society
>20% less gay than python
>not so terrible if you use good coding practices and don't use JQuery for anything but AJAX calls
>when paired with HTML5 canvas it's actually a lot better for making games than people give it credit for. I mean where else can you find a language with a completely cross platform graphics API that comes installed on literally everyone's computer

Erlang
Most suitable for extreme concurrency with low latency (each process gets a fair share of time so nothing is left behind)
You should use it for server software when you realize that Python/Ruby/PHP is shit at massive scale

shut the fuck up retarded incel

Did he tell you how much more than you he was paid? Or about his job security?
There aren't many COBOL devs around but the anount of COBOL that is running the business world at the basic level is terrifying.

>look mom I quoted everyone
found the mouth-breathing mongoloid

>garbage collected
>system programming
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

>I have never done any system programming other than yet another Unix clone: the post

I make 6 figs with no uni paper so I'm doing just fine, and I wasn't shitting on him you chode I was impressed

I'm actually using betterC, so no garbage collection or exceptions. But I can use all the other features.

I like C and C#.

C because it's simple and you can do a lot of useful tasks with it especially with your OS.

I always thought I'd hate C# but I got a job for a company writing a flight simulator in C# and I had a lot of fun using this language. It's not perfect but it has a lot of useful features and I really enjoyed using linq

You don't have to use either. Thats just the stuff I like sensei

Fortran

Legacy computing and supercomputers

It's simple, bloat free, fast and the grandfather of all modern programming languages. Also not too many people know it these days so it'll make you cool and potentially open up job opportunities.

>Tell me the language
C
>Tell me what it's for
I use it for everything.
It's simple and domain agnostic. You spend your time with C thinking about the best solution to the problem according to the problem itself, rather than the best solution according to the language designer. Too many language designers try predicting the kinds of problems their language will be solving and end up railroading the devs who use it into implementing fragile and inefficient solutions.

>Tell me the language
Unironically FreeBASIC.
>Tell me what it's for
Prototyping.
For the same reasons you would use C. BASIC allows for more rapid prototyping and although it is slower, it has a similar performance profile to C. It's easy to create monstrosities with it, but you're just throwing it away when you're done anyway.

Systems programming starts at assembly bootloaders and ends at runtimes for garbage collected languages. C is king of that space for a reason. Maybe once Rust gets its shit together it'll compete.

>Tell me the language
Clojure. A lisp dialect which targets the JVM. Clojure is a completely hosted language, meaning it's compiled to java bytecode and can interop with java.
>Tell me what it's for
General purpose. Web server, data transformation / processing, scheduling systems.
Clojure shines in processing sequences and parallel work since its built on top of persistent immutable data structures, so most of the headache of managing shared resources is gone. Moreover you get all of the work
that was put into optimizing the JVM for free, and access to the entire java libraries ecosystem.
It's a comfy language, and it allows you to write a lisp in production.
It's also a very pleasant lisp dialect, with the least amount of unnecessary parentheses
Watch:
Clojure for Java Programmers: youtube.com/watch?v=P76Vbsk_3J0
A bit about the inside of clojure:
Expert to Expert: Rich Hickey and Brian Beckman - Inside Clojure
youtube.com/watch?v=wASCH_gPnDw
Oh and there's Clojurescript which is like Clojure but for javascript, 90% of the language is the same, so you can write everything in basically the same language.

Https > Http > html

Attached: 1510112999955.jpg (957x621, 55K)

>simple
No.
>fun
Definitely not.

I haven't learned any programming languages
Should I learn C# before Go or vice versa?

>Tell me the language
Javascript
>Tell me what it's for
Web stuff and more recently desktop and mobile apps
Lots of jobs asking for it over here so you're almost guaranteed a job.

Learn qt
Its the best thing, period.

Attached: 1554164932379.png (2359x1749, 1.27M)

Are you on Windows? .net langs like C# have better support there. I think C# is also used in unity, which would be worth considering if you are interested in games or VR.
Go is simpler than C# and is well supported on all platforms. Might be a better choice if you want to work on web technologies and small apps.

I like you. I want to touch the perfect whitespace in your python.

>Tell me the language
Korn shell, ksh93 (bourne shell is fine too)
>Tell me what it's for
Literally anything. You can do math, you can script things, and by scripting things that already exist, anything can be done.
It helps exercise your creativity in fun ways. You also learn Unix.

>tfw in the secret club

Attached: 1552995669300.jpg (1440x810, 230K)

What editor do you recommend for Clojure development? Also, what was the hardest thing for you about Clojure when you first tried to learn it?

It seems Rust has hurt many people, but if you can make its type system happy, you'll be rewarded with a program that is extremely resilient and unlikely to crash. It's the only language where after I implement a feature and get it to type check, I might not bother testing it until a little later, because I have this strange feeling of confidence that if the type checker passes, it most likely works as intended, and it's been true most of the time.

I didn't know I could have that feeling, but it's cool, and only something as strict as Rust could deliver that feeling.

If you want to build anything but graphical Windows software, Go will be a better bet.

>Tell me the language
Java
>Tell me what it's for
Backend for web applications, apps for Android, huge enterprise apps.
Imagine how pajeet C / C++ code would look like. Java is little more idiot safe.

Attached: 1550840892330.jpg (368x368, 44K)

There's a Rust runtime for AWS Lambda now so you can double down on the memes.

Attached: the 15 inch regex cock.png (259x374, 89K)

C++

You Got a C+ in your programming class and now you have a C++

Emacs has a package called Cider which is great. I'm using spacemacs and it Just Werks.
People also use IntelliJ Cursive, and surprisingly, Atom.
Hardest thing? Clojure has richer syntax than Scheme, so I used to implement more complicated solutions instead of using library functions. Start off with the 4clojure website and go through the exercises by difficulty with the Clojure Cheatsheet open on another tab.
Another thing which I found annoying was "lifecycle management" but I still think it's a meme and unnecessary. I really dislike the existing solutions (Component, Mount, Integrant).
Other than that, if you feel comfortable with Scheme or CL learning Clojure is mostly learning another syntax, and a few new concepts (maps are functions, too, atoms, core.async)

nim
When you need to write a C program but only have the time to come up with a python solution
It's still not ripe enough for actual use, so you shouldn't actually use it.

I use my own fucking compiled language I created using ocaml. But now the compiler is written in itself.

That's how meta I am bitch. God fucking level

People don't know how much we all owe to Larry Wall and Perl. They don't know how much Perl changed the programming landscape. What it did felt revolutionary back in the late 90s.

Autists will cry about how Perl is worse than Hitler until the end of time because other autists insisted on using code golf in production work. It's still a god tier language for anything text related.

html != programming language

FreeBASIC
faster than C
C libraries are compatible
more simple, less-verbose than C
you can learn it in 5 hours if you know C
you can make .exe
excellent community

It's programming language more for personal projects than working at a large company with.
I write programs that solve very complex, specific electrical engineering problems (RF).

People (aka normies) don't know how awesome Hitler was either. *sigh*

ebin bait

People listing scripting and markup languages cause they can't into programming, lmao

>People listing scripting and markup languages cause they can't into programming
Imagine programming without learning english 1st

Fpbp

Pretty much, when I was a beginner at Python my first program went through so much bug fixing it made me crazy. In Rust I've never had that experience, though I've done a ton of refactoring, but every iteration of my first program has always been running flawlessly once cargo-sama tells me it's okay to compile.

For (((you)))

state of Jow Forums

FB scored ~125ms, C++ scored ~15 ms consistently

freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64682&sid=f8c5f7044dc3a147e62d32e95dadcdbc#p64682